TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zappafrank

Wrestlers You'd Like to See Return to WWE?

I do miss The Rock, and what he once was cooking. But I don't think he'd honestly want to come back. McMahon can't pay him nearly what Hollywood does.

I keep hearing that Jericho is coming back, and I truly hope it's all true.

As much of a mark I am for the Rock, I really don't think he'd have the same impact he had all those years ago, You've only got to look at his last couple.

If booked in some sane fashion, I'd like to see the following guys return (this has nothing to do with whether they would want to come back or could, btw...this is strictly fantasy):

Tajiri...the E needs more Evil Green Mist, dammit!

Goldberg...yes, I said it, dammit. He was the last of the great powerhouse wrestlers who actually made things look vicious when he did them. His press-slam moves and that leg capture slam of his were awesome. There really are no decent powerhouse guys who use those moves. The closest is Batista, and that's just sad.

RVD...Mister (insert day of the week) Night, Mr. Pay-Per-View, whatever you call him, he was great.

Dean Malenko...I miss those awesome matches he and Rey had. And I want to see a cruiserweight guy whose focus is not lucha-style, dammit. Whatever happenned some good old-fashioned catch-as-catch-can mat wrestling? Dean vs. Punk would RAWK.

DDP...the master of the Diamond Cutter. RKO vs. Diamond Cutter. I want the Legend Killer gimmick ended by the move that put Orton on the map.

Bret Hart...for the obvious reasons. The Sharpshooter on Orton for one.

And of course, because the art of promo is dying a slow death in the E these days...

Chris Jericho

The Rock

I do miss The Rock, and what he once was cooking. But I don't think he'd honestly want to come back. McMahon can't pay him nearly what Hollywood does.

I keep hearing that Jericho is coming back, and I truly hope it's all true.

As much of a mark I am for the Rock, I really don't think he'd have the same impact he had all those years ago, You've only got to look at his last couple.

The Rock and Jericho could do wonders for the promo work. Hell, if they could just come in and cut promos and maybe teach some of the younger talent how to get over with your promos. Honestly, that's what's missing from a lot of the young talent...they've often got good ring skills, but they need to learn how to do a promo with style and panache, not like they're reading a cue screen on the local news, dammit. The only place to find good promos nowadays is on YouTube vids of Rock's and Jericho's old mic work. Flip from that to RAW or SD! today, and it makes you just want to cry.

I guess I never really cared one way or another for Tajiri. I mean, he was pretty good at what he did, though.

As I've probably said many times though, Goldberg is the only guy who should use The Spear. He was the only one who ever made it convincing. Of course, he may have just been hitting the guys too hard, I don't know. I've heard rumors that the guy wasn't so great to work with.

I absolutely adore RVD, and if and when he does come back, I really do hope its for the E. I don't think TNA would do him any justice, and I hope he realizes that too.

Malenko was probably one of my favorite technical wrestlers of all-time, so if he was willing... I'd totally mark for his return. But I don't think it'll happen.

DDP was kind of a flash in the pan, but I think if he was promoted and pushed properly, he'd do alright for himself again. Hopefully not as a heel though.

Bret Hart's return is nigh impossible, I'd guess... but if alien technology was able to cure his career-ending concussion, then fuck yes, bring back The Excellence of Execution. Guys like him and Malenko would add a lot of wrestling credibility to any roster they were added to. Of course, since the writers aren't really interesting in that sort of thing any more, they'd be squandered on a lame storyline.

Chris Jericho and The Rock were the ultimate promo men. I agree with your idea of having them come back to teach the younger guys how to do it. I mean, I'd like to see them both in the ring again as well, but if not... teaching the youngsters is definitely a great way to utilize their talents.

As I've probably said many times though, Goldberg is the only guy who should use The Spear. He was the only one who ever made it convincing.

Rhino says hello.

DDP was kind of a flash in the pan, but I think if he was promoted and pushed properly, he'd do alright for himself again. Hopefully not as a heel though.

You hush your pretty little mouth! The man was the ORGINAL peoples champion!

Oh luke-o, I do apologize for forgetting Rhyno. You're right, his "Gore" was pretty damn convincing as well.

As for DDP, I stand by what I said. Soooooorry...

Austin has been doing his heel persona the past 5 years....as a face.

I wouldn't mind seeing an RVD vs. Goldberg match. It's one of those matches that sounds like a bizarre car wreck on paper, but I bet it would be cool. Goldberg could hit all sorts of hard power stuff on RVD, who would bump like a madman. Make it no DQ and RVD could hit Goldberg with everything on earth (Van Daminator, Van Terminator, everything else) and GB just keeps getting up from it like an invincible monster.

Chris Jericho - Would be a much need shot in the arm to the main event scene. I think a Jericho/Kennedy feud would be highly entertaining.

Tajiri - I'm a sucker for any Japanese wrestler that spews the mist.

Rhyno - Before he got injured during the initial Invasion angle, he was on pace for some big things.

Kurt Angle - He's not doing himself any good languishing in TNA.

Jim Cornette - It'll never happen due to his hatred of Kevin Dunn, but I'd love to see him return as a manger. He'd be a great deal of help to a team like Cade and Murdoch or even a heel Kendrick/London team with a Midnight Express style gimmick.

I guess I never really cared one way or another for Tajiri. I mean, he was pretty good at what he did, though.

As I've probably said many times though, Goldberg is the only guy who should use The Spear. He was the only one who ever made it convincing. Of course, he may have just been hitting the guys too hard, I don't know. I've heard rumors that the guy wasn't so great to work with.

I absolutely adore RVD, and if and when he does come back, I really do hope its for the E. I don't think TNA would do him any justice, and I hope he realizes that too.

Malenko was probably one of my favorite technical wrestlers of all-time, so if he was willing... I'd totally mark for his return. But I don't think it'll happen.

Bret Hart's return is nigh impossible, I'd guess... but if alien technology was able to cure his career-ending concussion, then fuck yes, bring back The Excellence of Execution. Guys like him and Malenko would add a lot of wrestling credibility to any roster they were added to. Of course, since the writers aren't really interesting in that sort of thing any more, they'd be squandered on a lame storyline.

Chris Jericho and The Rock were the ultimate promo men. I agree with your idea of having them come back to teach the younger guys how to do it. I mean, I'd like to see them both in the ring again as well, but if not... teaching the youngsters is definitely a great way to utilize their talents.

Hey, as stated, all my guys were strictly fantasy. Most of them would never show up again given the chance. And if they did, the halfwit "Hollywood" booking and writing team would bugger it the same way they do everything else. But a wrestling geek can dream...!

DDP was only a flash in the pan because WCW booked him that way. He was way over going after the nWo, and they guy always worked his BUTT off to put on a good match, but Bischoff and WCW would never let him get any convincing wins. Can't be seen as any kind of threat if you NEVER WIN. Thus, he fizzled. So far in the history of wrestling, only Spike Dudley and Eric Young can consistently job to anyone and everyone and stay over. Plus, the Diamond Cutter rocked. All of Randy's RKO spots, from the amazing hit to Carlito when the latter came off the top rope at him to the "out of nowhere!!!" finisher, were unceremoniously ripped straight from old DDP matches. As far as I can tell, the only original RKO spot was the latest Cena onto the chair spot, which was admittedly pretty darn good.

Goldberg was, by all reports, a terrible guy to work with. But, his Spear, press-slams, Jackhammer, and all those other moves that involved tossing even really big guys like Nash and Mark Henry around were awesome. Only Lesnar came close to being as good a powerhouse spot guy.

Credit where credit is due, though - Rhyno's Gore beats the hell out of anyone else's spear, even Goldberg's. It always looks like somebody should have broken ribs after a hit from that. The rest of his offense is ho-hum, but that Gore is gold.

I'd love to see Jericho and Rock in the ring as well, but then they would just make the rest of the roster look that much worse. They need to pass on those skills so that we are not left with "local news" promos, so that the overall product can improve.

Kurt Angle - He's not doing himself any good languishing in TNA.

It really needs repeating...he's a major reason why TNA is bad right now.

Good point.

His role in WWE would be quite different, though. He can be such an asset if controlled. He does not need to be conjuring up HHH 2002 in TNA. It was one of the worst years in the WWE headed up by an extremely talented and capable asset to the show. Angle reigned in and played to his strengths is a can't miss.

I just don't know if Angle can go back to being at least...good. Every match these days end up in a stupid reversal fest, and he was doing that all the way up until he got drafted and protected in ECW.

Goldberg - I just watched the Elimination Chamber match from SummerSlam 2003 the other day. Goldberg was way over, and his move set had improved from just kicks/punches. A dream match of many, and mine included is Austin/Goldberg. That would have been a huge draw NINE years ago. I doubt it'd make any kind of impact today, but it'd still be entertaining to see. Also, Cena vs. a revamped and repackage monster Goldberg would be a money maker, even in 2007.

Joey Mercury - Johnny Nitro isn't cutting it as a singles wrestler, they need to send him back to Mercury and reform MN, minus Melina of course.

Brock Lesnar - The man is phenominaly gifted. Cena vs. Lesnar would be a HUGE draw, and potentially a good match. Lesnar vs. Lashley would also be entertaining.

Christian - He's one of the best heels in the big companies. He'd bring something fresh to the table for the WWF, as long as they didn't bury him or treat him like bantha fodder.

Bret Hart - He doesn't need to wrestle, since those days are long, long gone. However, he needs to show up at WrestleMania and punch out Vince. He also needs to show up at this years Survivor Series and deck Shawn Michaels. Yes, this year is the tenth anniversary of the Montreal Screw Job. It'd be a fitting end to the legacy of the "Hitman", revenge is always so sweet.

Lance Storm - If they can get William Regal and FIT FINLAY over, Lance Storm would have no problem. His rolling single leg crab is one of the coolest moves ever.

Justin Credible - Bring him back, and build him like he was as the ECW champion back in the day. Impact Players reunion.

Chris Jericho - Jericho is too damn entertaining not to be on television. He needs to be a heel a la WCW 1998. And he needs to form a stable with Credible and Storm.

Hulk Hogan - He needed to face Austin yesterday. The biggest money match left in wrestling by far. Hogan vs. Cena also needed to happen yesterday as well. He needs to put them over, cleanly.

Eh. It works on TEW.

Joey Mercury - Johnny Nitro isn't cutting it as a singles wrestler, they need to send him back to Mercury and reform MN, minus Melina of course.

Says who? You? He's perfectly fine as a singles wrestler. In midst of the drug issues with Congress and Phil Astin, they can not afford to sign Mercury/Matthews who has had at least two drug-related incidents in the past two years in the WWE.

The Rock and Jericho could do wonders for the promo work. Hell, if they could just come in and cut promos and maybe teach some of the younger talent how to get over with your promos. Honestly, that's what's missing from a lot of the young talent...they've often got good ring skills, but they need to learn how to do a promo with style and panache, not like they're reading a cue screen on the local news, dammit. The only place to find good promos nowadays is on YouTube vids of Rock's and Jericho's old mic work. Flip from that to RAW or SD! today, and it makes you just want to cry.

They have guys in the company now (HBK, Flair, Dusty, Michael Hayes) that can cut a money promo anytime you give them a live mic...and they still have guys out there sounding like a freshman on his first day of Drama 101, so I don't know how much help Rock and Jericho would be in that department.

Goldberg can still be a huge draw if he's booked the way that made him a huge draw to begin with.

I'd say Lesnar & Jericho, but they have enemies w/in the company that would prevent them from being booked like they should, so what would be the point (other than my personal enjoyment)?

I'll also add Johnny Stamboli. Team him up w/ Nunzio on SD, and give them a push. They'd be a hell of a lot better than Deuce/Domino, the Major Brothers, Jesse/Festus, or Highlanders (rumored to be moving to SD).

Well maybe in 2001 Norman could have meant something. In fact I still don't get why the WWF didn't sign him back then. The guy had an entertaining gimmick and could have easily breathed some life into the tired Too Cool act.

The fact that they signed The Cat, but not Norman Smiley is a fucking travesty of justice. The Cat had his moments in WCW and his Rumble appearance will always hold a dear place in my heart for some reason. But Norman can do the technical aspect as well as Regal or Finlay imo, and he can do the silly sports entertainment stuff with the Screaming Norman gimmick.