TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

SummerSlam's UnderCard...

The one thing i notice about SummerSlam is that some mediocre match..usually one of the first few always has the that match that was really good that gets overlooked but when you look back on it you think.."man that was a good one"

Val Venis vs DLO Brown from SummerSlam 98 comes to mind for me

Hakushi vs 123 Kid was a nice little 10 min. opener..

Name your SummerSlam guilty pleasures..

Chris Benoit vs Orlando Jordan SSlam 2005

Rhyno vs Chris Benoit vs Eddie Guererro vs Tajiri SSlam 2003

Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio (Does This Count?) SSlam 2002

Edge vs Eddie Guerrero SSlam 2002

Chris Jericho vs Ric Flair SSlam 2002

Edge vs Lance Storm SSlam 2001

SummerSlam '99:

D'Lo Brown vs Jeff Jarrett was a great opener.

Ken Shamrock vs. Steve Blackman had a fun match despite the stupid Russo stipulations.

Test vs. Shane McMahon was a miracle and is sadly still Test's best match in his career.

The Rock vs. Mr. Ass was way better than it should have been.

SummerSlam '99:

No it wasn't, that match sucked really bad and did an awful job of getting Billy Gunn over.

Test vs Shane was suprisingly good though.

SummerSlam '99:

No it wasn't, that match sucked really bad and did an awful job of getting Billy Gunn over.

The match itself wasn't bad. The thing that killed it was the Mr. Ass gimmick that would never get over in any circumstance, plus that large woman brought it down a few notches. Plus, the Rock burying Mr Ass the next night didn't help matters either. But it was a perfectly acceptable wrestling match aside from the obvious dumbass Russo stipulations. If the match took place in a vacuum without the horrible storyline leading up to it, it wouldn't be looked so down upon. For a non-tag Billy Gunn match, it was as good as it was going to get.

In 2001 I enjoyed the RVD/Jeff Hardy ladder match very much.

holy shit, two of my favorite high-fliers in a ladder match. I've gotta find a download of that or something! thanks for bring that up.

Not surprising that it was a good match, but Tito Santana and The Rockers Vs Rick Martel and The Rougeaus from SummerSlam '89 is kind of an unheralded great match.

Yea that was a really good match, I think it lasted over 16 minutes. SummerSlam '89 also had the fun Brainbusters-Hart Foundation opener and Warrior-Rude match that was 100x better than their WrestleMania V encounter. However, only the Warrior-Rude match surprised me on the undercard for being good because I knew the tag match and 6 man tag were going to be good.

Val Venis vs DLO Brown from SummerSlam 98 comes to mind for me

Hakushi vs 123 Kid was a nice little 10 min. opener..

Demolition & Jim Duggan Vs. Andre The Giant and The Twin Towers

The Big Boss Man Vs. The Mountie

Shawn Michaels Vs. Rick Martel

Test Vs. Shane McMahon

The one that made me a fan of both men, and really stands out in my mind as memorable was the D'Lo Brown vs Val Venis match. I think the non existant mid-card could use a shot in the arm that a repackaged Val Venis and D'Lo Brown could provide.

Jericho vs. Benoit in 2000 had a nice 2/3 falls match. In 2001 I enjoyed the RVD/Jeff Hardy ladder match very much.

I don't think either of those matches qualify as surprises quality-wise. Benoit & Y2J had amazing chemistry since WM2000, and RVD & Jeff already had a nice hardcore match at Invasion.

Rey v. Angle still may be my favourite PPV opening match ever.

UnAmericans vs. BookDust, really hot crowd that pushed the match up a notch. Bret vs. Doink (and then Lawler) in '93, best Doink match ever?