TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 8/30 - 9/3

So who takes over for Chad Henne in the Heisman race? I'm sorry, but once the team you are quarterbacking loses to App St then you are not allowed to go to New York. Hell, after losing that game he should feel lucky if they let him into a ceremony in New Jersey.

Also Vern called it on page 1. Lloyd Carr found a way to fuck it all up. It just happened a LOT sooner than anyone could have expected.

I always thought the Heisman was Brohm and Brennan's to lose. I never once thought Chad Henne was a serious candidate. If anything, Mike Hart was a better candidate from Michigan.

Pretty sure you can cross him off as well. Losing a game like this pretty much seals the fate of everyone at Michigan. And there is no way on the planet they could be justified as a National Champion contender late in the season either.

I'm stunned they didn't set Carr on fire in the middle of the field to appease the football gods for whatever wrong they committed.

So who takes over for Chad Henne in the Heisman race? I'm sorry, but once the team you are quarterbacking loses to App St then you are not allowed to go to New York. Hell, after losing that game he should feel lucky if they let him into a ceremony in New Jersey.

Also Vern called it on page 1. Lloyd Carr found a way to fuck it all up. It just happened a LOT sooner than anyone could have expected.

Heisman front-runners now that Henne and Hart are done:

1. JD Booty, QB, USC

2. Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii

3. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville (despite the bush-league running up of the score against SEMO)

4. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

5. Steve Slayton, RB, West Virginia

6. Pat White, QB, West Virginia

None of these are a real surprise, but it certainly does thin the herd early.

Heisman front-runners now that Henne and Hart are done:

1. JD Booty, QB, USC

2. Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii

3. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville (despite the bush-league running up of the score against SEMO)

4. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

5. Steve Slayton, RB, West Virginia

6. Pat White, QB, West Virginia

None of these are a real surprise, but it certainly does thin the herd early.

I agree with that list. Andre Woodson from UK might get an invite to New York if he keeps putting up consistent numbers but he'd only be a seat warmer. There's no way he'll win the Heisman. My money is on McFadden to take it.

And unlike King I need the scoring to STOP in the TN-Cal game to win my pick'em game this week. Damn tiebreakers.....

Now there is under a minute to go but Arkansas State has pulled with in 8 of Texas. The Longhorns only putting up 21 points against a Sun Belt team has to raise some eyebrows.

Edit: Texas recovers onside so they will hold on for the win.

I always thought the Heisman was Brohm and Brennan's to lose. I never once thought Chad Henne was a serious candidate. If anything, Mike Hart was a better candidate from Michigan.

Pretty sure you can cross him off as well. Losing a game like this pretty much seals the fate of everyone at Michigan. And there is no way on the planet they could be justified as a National Champion contender late in the season either.

I'm stunned they didn't set Carr on fire in the middle of the field to appease the football gods for whatever wrong they committed.

Eh...he had almost 200 yards and 3 TD's plus he was the main reason they almost avoided the upset. I don't think he'll win, but I could still see him making the finals like Chris Perry did a few years ago.

Kansas State leading Auburn 13-9 going into the 4th quarter.

Key factor is Auburn letting KSU's defense swarm Brandon Cox, forcing 2 INTs and several hurried pass attempts

An interesting note was an interview with Ron Prince in yesterday's Wichita paper in which he said he's learned more and taken more influence from watching and playing against Frank Beamer than he has from Al Groh

Also, Prince is an Appalachian State alum, so that's most likely fired him up even more for tonight

Man, K-State and Auburn are really going after each other in this one. Lots of hitting and more then a few questionable hits. I like it.

Oh, and OU dropping 79 on North Texas? Rediculous.

It's not like they were playing with their starters after half time anyways and they played both backup QB's.

An interesting note was an interview with Ron Prince in yesterday's Wichita paper in which he said he's learned more and taken more influence from watching and playing against Frank Beamer than he has from Al Groh

Also, Prince is an Appalachian State alum, so that's most likely fired him up even more for tonight

That doesn't suprise me.

Question- Are ND's linemen on Bull-fighting scholarships?

Because they spent most of the afternoon going "Ole!" while the QB got his ass handed to him.

Not even college football threads are safe from Teke Malibu

If you watched that game, it wouldn't just be a Malibu-esque joke... GT's defense was beating the living shit out of the QB.

My favorite play had to be near the end of the first half, where the DEs came at the QB and, while he tried to deal with those, the Safety did a delayed blitz and knocked him on his ass.

The last time I saw a blitz that pretty, LSU was beating the crap out of Heisman winner Jason White in the 2003 title game.

Cal is going to win. Oh this year is going to suck. For the love of God would some NFL team hire Jeff Tedford already so this program can go back to being an also-ran.

By the way, U of L didn't really do this "bush league" running up of the score on Murray the other night. Hell, we had the backups in by the 3rd quarter and the 3rd stringers in by the 4th (only a FG in the last quarter). If today taught us nothing it is that when you schedule a jobber, you gotta SQUASH that jobber.

UK beat the piss out of EKU tonight, 50-10. Somehow I bet UK will struggle more with Kent St. next week, call it a hunch.

If you watched that game, it wouldn't just be a Malibu-esque joke... GT's defense was beating the living shit out of the QB.

My favorite play had to be near the end of the first half, where the DEs came at the QB and, while he tried to deal with those, the Safety did a delayed blitz and knocked him on his ass.

The last time I saw a blitz that pretty, LSU was beating the crap out of Heisman winner Jason White in the 2003 title game.

Let's not distort the facts here. LSU only won by a touchdown - it was a defensive clinic on both sides.

Either Tennessee' defense completely forgot how to tackle or Cal's skill players are REALLY FUCKING GOOD.

Cal's players really are that good. Forsett is a top 5 back in the nation and Jackson has been unstoppable since he was playing in high school.

Jackson is probably the fastest player in the land. The little guy Holliday at LSU would have something to say about that, but Jackson is unbelievably fast.

Let's not distort the facts here. LSU only won by a touchdown - it was a defensive clinic on both sides.

Lavolais et all were smacking White around all night.

I didn't say anything about how well the OU D was doing.

Also, I was specifically referring to a delayed blitz late in the game where the Safety (LaRon Landry?) came straight through the line untouched and blindsided White.

On a homerish note, USC's only playing good. Not great, just good. Their defense (especially run) is insane, offensively it hasn't been so good. Lots of dropped passes by young receivers.

The Nebraska game is going to be a little bit of a problem. We can run the ball all game, but their defense is too good to keep that up over 60 minutes.

On a homerish note, USC's only playing good. Not great, just good. Their defense (especially run) is insane, offensively it hasn't been so good. Lots of dropped passes by young receivers.

The Nebraska game is going to be a little bit of a problem. We can run the ball all game, but their defense is too good to keep that up over 60 minutes.

If Gawd Almighty Pete Carroll can't make his team play great to start out the year, I don't want to hear shit from the sports commentators about how LSU "only" beat MSU 45-0 because the QB they beat like a pinata coughed up 7 TOs.

BTW, this isn't directed at King. This is a general rant about the post-game analysis of LSU-MSU on Thursday night where LSU was called "disappointing" as a #2 team.

Either Tennessee' defense completely forgot how to tackle or Cal's skill players are REALLY FUCKING GOOD.

Reminds me of this:

I know this is a belated reaction to the preseason polls but...Cal voted ahead of Tennessee again? When they return roughly the same amount of starters?

Do they never learn?

and

No, learn that when a team gets a new asshole ripped by another team and loses the majority of the defense while the other team retains more starters at key positions including the Quarterback who threw for 300 yards and four TDs against aforementioned team the prior year, it probably means that the first team shouldn't be perceived as "better".