TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Aliens v Predator 2

Has anyone watched the deleted scenes from Alien? That's some freaky shit. I would put this in spoiler tags but the movie has been out for well over 20 years, and if you haven't seen it by now.......

Ripley is trying to escape the Nostromo, and comes across the cocooned bodies of Brett and Dallas. Brett's face/head have pretty much turned to goo (presumably from the alien's acid), and Dallas looks just as bad, but is still barely alive (and is clearly in a severe amount of pain and torment from his injuries). Anyways, she makes an attempt to save Dallas, but instead he begs her to kill him, which she finally does with her flamethrower. This is probably the SCARIEST part of the entire movie, and why it didn't make it into the theatrical release, I'll never know.

I think Ridley Scott decided the sound wasn't right and it slowed the film's climatic ending down too much for his taste. I know he wasn't happy about cutting it but he felt he had no choice.

Yeah. Also, Dallas was infected with an alien inside him, which is why he begged Ripley to kill him. That point was clearly made in the original script, but somehow it got lost in transition to the screen.

Alien: Ressurection was fine until they introduced the FUCKING albino Alien! That ruined the whole God damn movie for me.

Alien Vs. Predator had a good concept, but was poorly executed on screen. I wish the they would have just used the comic book storyline where

the surviving female colonist becomes a member of the Predator clan at the end.

The arcade game from Capcom was pretty badass too. It even had Arnold Schwarzenegger's character, Dutch from Predator, in it!

Alien: Ressurection was fine until they introduced the FUCKING albino Alien! That ruined the whole God damn movie for me.

Whedon's original script was simplified to the point of stupidity. The monster as he wrote it was sort of like a last boss from Resident Evil, this huge fucking alien that kept evolving into different shapes. And the fight didn't end in the ship, they got all the way down to Earth and the whole last battle would've taken like half an hour total. But of course the studio decided they didn't want nunna that. Also removed were a huge battle sequence on a moving industrial elevator, a really creepy Velociraptor-type scene inside the ship's massive hydroponic garden, a great bit where a really smooth character who never made it into the movie sacrifices himself and blows up a huge chunk of the spaceship, and various other cool shit that never saw the light of day.

Alien Vs. Predator had a good concept, but was poorly executed on screen. I wish the they would have just used the comic book storyline where

the surviving female colonist becomes a member of the Predator clan at the end.

Like I said, there have been a whole bunch of AvP comics, almost all of which have been better than the movie.

This is going to be so awesome!

New director

Isolated town in Colorado, or something.

No human team-ups.

Rated R

Humans die

1 Predator

This is going to be so awesome!

New director

Isolated town in Colorado, or something.

No human team-ups.

Rated R

Humans die

1 Predator

Ah, that's why it looks good. Not to hate on a fellow North-East guy here, but W.S Anderson has made some of the shittest films I've ever watched. The only one I've really enjoyed and can watch again is Resident Evil, and that's as a 'guilty pleasure'.

EDIT: Actually, add Event Horizon to that list, I still enjoy that.

Oh wait, actually, fuck him, I'm now insanely jealous:

"In April 2007, it was announced that he and actress Milla Jovovich are expecting a baby girl in November 2007. The two met when Anderson directed her in the first Resident Evil. They were engaged in March 2003, but no wedding date has been set. [1]" - Wikipedia.

The closer it gets, the more excited I am. Fuck, my girl's even excited, and she didn't see the first AVP, or any of the movies since she was, like, 13-14. We're going to try to make it on XMas day, if not the day after.

There's a nice article in Fango (the one with The Mist as the cover story, IIRC) about AVP:R, and it seems like this new team of directors are actually decent-sized fanboys, so this COULD be very good...

I spy Toxic Avenger! The best kind of bad movie :D

AVP should be good, I'll be watching it - one way or another. Just with it being set with Marines it seems more 'traditional' in terms of Comics and Alien/Predator lineage.

let's not totally trash Anderson here, Mortal Kombat was a LOT better than it should have been and you all know it! Resident Evil was passable and Event Horizon was so bizarre it was enjoyable.

Event Horizon fucking RULES. It's just a shame that a lot of the extra gory footage is lost forever due to the crew not thinking to keep it around for future media releases at the time of filming. If anyone has the 2-Disc version, theres one really creepy scene of

The Weir-Beast crawling upside-down, down a ladder and puking blood, at Stark and Cooper trying to reach the lifeboat

. Watching the unscrambled Hell video in slow-mo shows some fucked-up material as well.

Oh come on, Anderson's a complete hack. Event Horizon was nothing but the mutant result tossing of Hellraiser and Solaris into a blender, Resident Evil turned a great survival horror game into a shiity zombie movie, the best thing you can say about Mortal Kombat is "at least it doesn't suck as much as most video game movies do", and AvP somehow managed to be even worse than the crappy sequels it was following.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I said in my above posts that I enjoyed Resident Evil and Event Horizon, but since those movies everything else Anderson has touched has been pretty weak, if not totally shit - even if he hasn't done that much.

Mortal Kombat turned out great considering the material and Even Horizon was pretty good as well. I did laugh at "Hellraiser and Solaris into a blender", yeah that pretty much sums it up, but you could do a lot worse.

Resident Evil was just boring and AVP was all kinds of bad.

I'm not looking forward to AVP2, they've really sucked the magic out of both franchises, now it's just baddies killing teens in WalMart.

Just saw it. it's bad, but it's laughably bad.

The "Predalien" is a riot, and the whole thing plays more like a dead teenager movie than an Alien or Predator movie.

Oh, and Yes, it's better than the first one, but not by much.

Hardcore fans will be pissed, but if you want an unintentionally hilarious movie, than this is for you.

Well, I was planning on seeing it today but scanning the net, I'm not seeing a lot of priase or even passable grades given to it. Still, I have movie money so I may still go.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it currently has a 7.5 on IMDB with about 800 votes. I might say fuck it and see it today after all

This movie is fucking intense. The last 30-45 minutes are just non-stop action, and reminded me a lot of the scene in Aliens when they're using the airducts to escape.

Pro's:

-Creature design. Much better than the first AVP, which had aliens with 25-foot tails (THE FUCK?!), Predators that looked too bulky to even move, and a queen that was entirely CGI and looked TOO big.

-Surprise factor. Outside of a few kills in the beginning, once the shit hits you don't know who's dead and who's alive by the end.

It was a complete surprise when the army chick's husband got killed, even though it was hinted at in the previews, and Jesse getting the Predator shuriken right through her surprised all 20 people in the theater.

-Nods to past movies. The army chick says "get to the chopper," a direct quote from Ahnuld in the first Predator. And during a face-off between the Predator and the Predalien, the Predalien tries to use its inner-mouth to kill the Predator, but the Predator constantly moves his head from side-to-side to avoid it, just like Ripley did during the Loader/Queen fight at the end of Aliens.

-Set-up to future movies. The first AVP had Bishop Weyland - a nod to the company in the Alien flicks, as well as the series of droids represented in the second and third movies - as an aging, diseased businessman who wanted the adventure of discovering something ancient. This one has Ms. Yutani - another nod to Weyland/Yutani Corporation from the Alien flicks - at the end,

claiming that the world was not yet ready for the Predator technology. It's possible that this is what lead to Weyland/Yutani exploring deep space (even giving them the technology to do so, perhaps), and that the events in this movie is what lead to the Nostromo crew touching down on LV-426.

-Direction (outside of Predator/Predalien fights). For the Brothers Strause, and I believe this is their first full-length, they did a fucking nice job. Much better overall direction than the first AVP, and much better than A:R and even P2 (outside of P2's first scene, that is). They cut away right when they needed to, and stayed with it just long enough for people to see what happens. They stayed with the gore just enough, and cut away to leave certain deaths more to the imagination, which worked wonderfully.

-Introduction of Predator weaponry. I'm not even gonna use the spoiler tag here, because it's not that important. After the first Predator, each following one has introduced a weapon or two (or more) to the Predator arsenal. Predator had the shoulder-cannon and the claw. Predator 2 introduced the net, the spear, the disc, and a small two-pronged blade used as a projectile. AVP introduced the Predator shuriken, and the ability to use the claw as projectiles. AVP-R introduced the melting liquid (what the Predator pours on initial victims to destroy their remains), the implosion bomb on the ship, and the ability to turn a shoulder-cannon into a traditional (human) shotgun-style gun.

Con's:

-Acting. Atrocious. The best acting in the whole movie was done by the people in the alien suits and Robert Joy as "Colonel Stevens."

-Brief running time. There could have been an additional half-hour to 45 minutes, and if done even relatively well it would have improved the movie.

Example: Ricky, Dallas, army chick, and her daughter are running through the hospital following Ricky getting stabbed through the shoulder, and they find a room that hasn't been infested yet. Hide there for a little bit to figure out a plan of attack and barricade themselves in. Meanwhile, the sheriff and all of the other people waiting for "rescue" continue to fight off the alien siege before having to turn over some cars, forming a circle to have a ring of defense with only one way in/out. Gives minor time for character depth to form, more time for action, and calms the pace down a little bit before one final huge action orgy.

-Predalien. The idea is great, and STRAIGHT out of the two-issue "Aliens vs. Predator - Duel" comic that linked the original AVP series with "Aliens: Berserker" into "Aliens vs. Predator - War." The execution, though...not so great. It turned from what should have been a stealthy, uber-dangerous killing machine into just another movie monster. The ability to impregnate pregnant women with multiple chestbursters, while seemingly a cool idea, was pretty lame and a little too out-there for it to just happen without ANY explanation. I don't mean have some random archaeologist be able to read ancient alien text (fuck AVP) and come up with the entire history of the creature, but I do mean have the characters see what's happened and try to theorize a reason. It worked to full foreshadowing effect in Aliens as Hudson, Vasquez, Bishop, and Ripley try to figure out who's laying the facehugger eggs, and it could have worked here even just a little bit if mentioned. Also, the Predalien seemed a little too cunning, if you catch my drift. It's always been known throughout the movies that the aliens are smarter than anybody wanted to give them credit for (hiding in the escape pod of the Nostromo, cutting the power to the colony on LV-426, using the drop-ceiling to enter MedLab and corner the marines, etc. etc.), but this one seemed...a little too smart. It knew what a pregnant woman was, it knew where to go to find the best place for a hive (I liked the idea of the hive being based in the sewer, though) via

hospital

, and it knew the complete layout of the Predator ship, pretty much.

-Abrupt ending. After pretty intense build-up to

everybody's escape from the town

, the movie just sort of ends. It was a nonstop-action until the last 5 minutes, so the quick ending hurt it in a way. If there were more stops in the action, or the "ending" occurred earlier in the movie (

instead of "Col. Stevens" having the Predator cannon, he could have just had video of their technology

), it would have been a little better.

Just got back from it tonight. I definitely wasn't disappointed. I really enjoyed the movie, this was what the last AVP movie should have been. There was a lot of nods to the previous films (the same shot of the Predator ship going into Earth's atmosphere like in the original, the army chick basically emulating Ripley for example). They didn't hold back in this movie at all. I'm glad it was rated R. Lots of violence and blood. Even little kids weren't safe in the film.

The Predalien was neat, but I wish it was the stealthy ugmo version from the PC game rather than the big, bulky hoss we got. I knew it was going to replace the Queen since it was supposed to be the new boss, but I found the idea of being to lay eggs right off the bat to be a completely lame idea.

Nice to see one Predator again like the past films, who was a complete badass by the way and basically a prick!

He kills a defenseless man in cold blood!

. Given the situation with possible global infestation, you'd figure the Predator council / elders would've sent an extra Predator or two for back-up (I was actually fine with three in the last film, but pissed off that TWO OF THEM WERE KILLED BY THE SAME FUCKING ALIEN!) Also, the Predator had new weapons, destructo goo and a whip blade (think of Ivy's weapon from Soul Calibur...sort of). That was cool.

I also loved the fact, it picked up right where AVP left off.

Unfortunately, like Corey said, half of the film is like watching an episode of Dawson's Creek or something and the cast of unknown actors hurts it a bit, but it does get better and all the action and gore do make up for it. Hope they come out with AVP3 in the future.

So for those who picked it, which of these options would you say is the best bet to avoid complete pissed off disappointment?

Full, Early show or 3 dollar theater?

The only movie I really have right now this month is Rambo with Name of the King and Cloverfield in the possible category.

Full. It's worth every cent of the $10 you'll spend if you like yourself some sci-fi violence. There's a lot of good and a decent amount of bad, but the good is SO good that you'll enjoy it thoroughly. Unfortunately, by now you'll probably only be able to see it in a $3 theater...

it's worth the 10 bucks as long as you know what kind of movie your going into. Don't expect to see any Oscar worthy performances or anything and you'll be fine

I saw the film last night and loved it. It was totally worth the money spent, although does make me question why they couldn't have done this with the first film...

I really dug the Predalien, although during the last fight scene I couldn't really tell who was who half the time.

The humans served their purpose by not being a group of people who "group together to fight them" but where there to simply be cannon fooder.