TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Aliens v Predator 2

I really hope they get it right this time.

Well it already looks better than the first one, granted thats no stretch.

My friends and I were ushered out of the first one for laughing at that one scene when they were climbing pyrmaids or whatever the fuck they were doing.

Yeah, it does look better than the first one. But as previously mentioned, that's not really hard. Beating the Grim Reaper in level 5 of Castlevania: hard. Making a better movie than the broken condom known as the first AvP: not hard.

Even though some of it looked pretty cool, I do have a few notes:

1. WAY too many goddamn kids, teenagers, and twentysomethings. Remember back when both of these franchises revolved around grown adults, and also put out better movies?

2. Why is the setting AGAIN on earth in the present? That works for Predator, I guess, but is a thousand kinds of wrong for Alien.

3. If you're really looking forward to this movie, DON'T watch this trailer. It gives away at least half the kills in the movie. Really, gives away WAY too much, which I guess is okay for an internet trailer, but still, too much.

I dunno, I just watched it and can barely remember any kills. Like "oh, ok, I guess that guy dies there. And then several different guys that look more or less the same as the other guy die in various points here and there." But, I'm not looking forward to the movie, so doesn't really matter I guess.

Wow, that actually looks really good, it's almost as if they got the formula right with this one, oh Paul Anderson's not involved so that makes sense.

Even down to getting the logo right is great to me.

The worst part of the first one was when the Alien Queen at the end was chasing after the people and it looked to me like it was a BLATANT Jurassic Park rip off. I still to this day think they used the T-Rex chase scene from JP and did the necessary modifications.

So this movie is like Freddy vs Jason where it is a glorified teen slasher movie but involving aliens? Ugh. They should of just called this Critters 6.

If you've never seen and/or didn't like the first Predator and first two Alien movies, you forfeit all rights to speak in this discussion. (And having read one of the dozen or so AvP comics would help too.)

The worst part of the first one was when the Alien Queen at the end was chasing after the people and it looked to me like it was a BLATANT Jurassic Park rip off. I still to this day think they used the T-Rex chase scene from JP and did the necessary modifications.

No, the worst part was the Alien-Predator hybrid and the scene where everyone believed the Predator was about to propose marriage.

I hate the AvP series, it killed what could have been the greatest ALIEN franchise movie DEAD.

No, the worst part was the Alien-Predator hybrid and the scene where everyone believed the Predator was about to propose marriage.

I hate the AvP series, it killed what could have been the greatest ALIEN franchise movie DEAD.

I actually loved the hybrid. That's taken straight out of the AvP comic series, too. To link the original AvP series to (what I believe is) the final AvP series, Dark Horse released a 2-issue title called Aliens vs. Predator: Duel. It focused on a group of marines trying to find the lady from the first AvP series, finding a shitton of aliens instead, and then the Predator flying in to lay waste to all for releasing the hybrid from inside a crashed ship that was turned into a hive. The hybrid looked badass, too...even if it got defeated by a marine and a one-handed Predator via hand-to-hand combat and small arms fire...wow, comic books get so much lamer when you're older...

Re: trailer

DID I SEE THE FUCKING HYBRID IN IT!? ROBERT JOY?! Eh, it won't be anywhere near as good Aliens or Predator, the fact that it's on Earth does sorta destroy the whole backstory to the original Alien flicks (that nobody had any idea about them until the Nostromo crew), but hey...at least Ripley's not a fucking clone.

The trailer actually looks pretty good. Looks like this one's going to get slapped with an R rating unlike the first one. At least Paul Anderson has nothing to do with this one.

Looks like a good popcorn movie. I'll take a jungle over some snow covered as the battle ground any day as long as they don't race up any pyramids. The jungle also gives them the option to have a Tarzan cameo.

Nothing will ever ever top Aliens
Alien was better.

They both ruled, and all the rest of the sequels sucked. How bout we leave it at that?

Alien was better.

They both ruled, and all the rest of the sequels sucked. How bout we leave it at that?

I have a soft-spot for Alien 3, but Alien: Resurrection is best left forgotten.

Call (Winona Ryder) to Ripley - "You're a freak. They grew you in a FUCKING lab"

Ron Pearlman upon discovering

Call

is an android - "I can't believe I almost fucked a robot".

Wheelchair Guy - "Like you've never fucked a robot"

*sigh*

The most godawful thing about that one is how many great people it took to make a shitty movie. Joss Whedon is a fine writer (shut up haterz). Jeun-Pierre Jeunet is an awesome director, as anyone who's seen City of Lost Children or Amelie knows. Sigourney Weaver, Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott, Brad Dourif, Dominique Pinon, and Dan Hedeya are all damn fine actors (and even Winona is okay in the right part). But whoa jesus did their combined synergy make this movie suck. At least David Fincher had the excuse on 3 that it was his first-ever feature film.

And that the producers kept changing the script on him, and that 20th Century Fox kept interfering and thus preventing him from making the movie he wanted to make. And that the script was changed more than a few times, with the plot changing ever-so-slightly each time to make it different. I really think that Fox should've gotten Mark Verheiden (who wrote the scripts of the first three Aliens comics, which are the only ones really worth reading) to do a nice little rendition of Earth Hive, or even a combo of Earth Hive and Nightmare Asylum, or even a rushed combo of all three series (finishing it off with Earth War, or "Female War" if you go by revisionist Dark Horse history...or the SD Perry novelizations).

And that the producers kept changing the script on him, and that 20th Century Fox kept interfering and thus preventing him from making the movie he wanted to make. And that the script was changed more than a few times, with the plot changing ever-so-slightly each time to make it different. I really think that Fox should've gotten Mark Verheiden (who wrote the scripts of the first three Aliens comics, which are the only ones really worth reading) to do a nice little rendition of Earth Hive, or even a combo of Earth Hive and Nightmare Asylum, or even a rushed combo of all three series (finishing it off with Earth War, or "Female War" if you go by revisionist Dark Horse history...or the SD Perry novelizations).

Hell, you could STILL do it. Sigourney apparently is one of those freaks who only ages one year for every three that she lives. Do a combination of Earth Hive and Earth War, basically the aliens get loose on earth and our heroes have to find the alien home planet in order to find a way to stop them. Throw a Predator into the cast just for fun. Hey presto, better movie idea than any they've put on screen since 1986.

Hell, you could STILL do it. Sigourney apparently is one of those freaks who only ages one year for every three that she lives. Do a combination of Earth Hive and Earth War, basically the aliens get loose on earth and our heroes have to find the alien home planet in order to find a way to stop them. Throw a Predator into the cast just for fun. Hey presto, better movie idea than any they've put on screen since 1986.

Last I heard, Sigourney told them to go screw themselves along with Scott and Cameron when they made the first AvP. No one wants to touch the project now because they feel it's all been tainted and destroyed. They are pretty accurate really.

Alien was better.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Alien, but I just think that along with Terminator 1 and 2, that Aliens is the very pinnacle of Sci-Fi/Action films, and a film like this could never hope to even touch it, let alone be better.

Alien was better.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Alien, but I just think that along with Terminator 1 and 2, that Aliens is the very pinnacle of Sci-Fi/Action films, and a film like this could never hope to even touch it, let alone be better.

I can see why people think Aliens is better, but I'm more of a fan of the horror aspect of Alien, the same reason I prefer Termintor to T2. But Jingus is right, they both ruled :headbang:

I'm more of a fan of Aliens and T2, but I can definatly appreciate where the originals were coming from and what they were trying to do. I just thought the sequels were just a better movie experience.

Has anyone watched the deleted scenes from Alien? That's some freaky shit. I would put this in spoiler tags but the movie has been out for well over 20 years, and if you haven't seen it by now.......

Ripley is trying to escape the Nostromo, and comes across the cocooned bodies of Brett and Dallas. Brett's face/head have pretty much turned to goo (presumably from the alien's acid), and Dallas looks just as bad, but is still barely alive (and is clearly in a severe amount of pain and torment from his injuries). Anyways, she makes an attempt to save Dallas, but instead he begs her to kill him, which she finally does with her flamethrower. This is probably the SCARIEST part of the entire movie, and why it didn't make it into the theatrical release, I'll never know.