TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - September 2007

Don't think I got any updates yesterday.

Watched ECW from 12-24-95. That Rey-Psicosis match blew, but Bubba Ray Dudley dancing was hilarious and made the show.

I also will now check out TNT to see Dean Malenko, that's awesome. Is the WCW show worth watching?

Don't think I got any updates yesterday.

Watched ECW from 12-24-95. That Rey-Psicosis match blew, but Bubba Ray Dudley dancing was hilarious and made the show.

I also will now check out TNT to see Dean Malenko, that's awesome. Is the WCW show worth watching?

The next big thing on the horizon for the WCW program is the formation of the Horsemen. The next WCW show features a six man match with Tully and the Andersons teaming up. The next WCW show will be the first week of December, 1985. The Horsemen formed in January 1986. We'll also be getting the final piece of the puzzle in place soon - Tully Blanchard hiring J.J. Dillon as his manager.

I watched the beginning (literally, just the opening) of European Rampage to see what it was all about. Was this ever released commercially in North America? Seems a bit rare and taken right off of a Sky Sports PPV broadcast. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight when I get home from work. I did watch enough of it to hear Monsoon said he would put Heenan "in the Queen's box" causing Heenan to appear to have a double-take expression on his face.

I watched the beginning (literally, just the opening) of European Rampage to see what it was all about. Was this ever released commercially in North America? Seems a bit rare and taken right off of a Sky Sports PPV broadcast. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight when I get home from work. I did watch enough of it to hear Monsoon said he would put Heenan "in the Queen's box" causing Heenan to appear to have a double-take expression on his face.

I'm not sure if it was commercially released, but it was a big deal at the time. The announcers regularly mentioned Davey's big win to put him over.

Yeah, I don't need to find results to know Bulldog wins the battle royal. I never knew that "big battle royal at Royal Albert Hall" being referred to was, but I know it was mentioned on commentary (biggest mention I can recall is Rumble 92). Truth be told, I'm looking forward to watching Flair vs Santana the most.

Yeah I actually remember renting that European Rampage tape back in the day, it had an entire profile on the Bulldog and included the Royal Albert Hall win.

Is that the same show that had Macho vs. HBK on it from Europe?

They put some strange but awesome choices on the shorties this week.

Liger/Ultimo from a 1993 WCW/New Japan hybrid show

A Billy Robinson match

A Lou Thesz vs Antonio Rocca from the late 50's.

A Dynamite Kid match from Stampede

Everyone should also check out the hour long Bret Hart special from around 93 on Legends. It's got a Bret Hart vs Beau Beverly match with some insanely funny commentary which Heenan and Macho Man constantly going on weird tangents about specialty matches and Ross trying to be the straight man.

The Copps Colisseum show from 89 sounds really good with Bret/Martel, Warrior/Rude, and Tito/Perfect.

Yeah I actually remember renting that European Rampage tape back in the day, it had an entire profile on the Bulldog and included the Royal Albert Hall win.

Is that the same show that had Macho vs. HBK on it from Europe?

It's a single house show from Albert Hall.

It's the same tape- World Tour 92

This isn't World Tour 92 though (though I did buy that at a store in NYC a few years ago), it's the full version of the European broadcast of "Battle Royal from Royal Albert Hall", complete with sponsorship from The Sun.

Huh, I thought by October 91 Tito was El Matador (mostly because I don't recall ever seeing "Tito Santana" wrestle when I started watching in the spring of 91 - I thought he took a hiatus and came back as El Matador). Flair having the unblurred belt is great, at any rate.

Guest krash9924

Jushin Liger vs Dragon in the shorties is a train wreck. Dragon botches several moves and the two men just seem to be on different planets throughout the match. Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone try there best to cover things but the match just doesn't flow. Anyone happen to know what this show was?

"1993’s WCW Japan Supershow III" says SKeith's review of the bout (****1/4, btw, which is funny given you review... look forward to watching it myself later).

Heenan's call for the Mountie pinning Von Erich was tremendous. "He's so tall he got his legs caught up in the ropes", followed by Monsoon yelling at him to shut up. Well done.

FUNERAL PARLOUR! Loving it.

Guest krash9924
"1993’s WCW Japan Supershow III" says SKeith's review of the bout (****1/4, btw, which is funny given you review... look forward to watching it myself later).

Heenan's call for the Mountie pinning Von Erich was tremendous. "He's so tall he got his legs caught up in the ropes", followed by Monsoon yelling at him to shut up. Well done.

FUNERAL PARLOUR! Loving it.

Liger was amazing in this match but Dragon was just off. Dragon seemed to almost botch every other move early in the match. It gets a lot better towards the end but the beginning is brutal.

Sounds like an awesome collection of shorties. Can't wait to see the Thesz/Rocca match. I've seen a few Billy Robinson matches and he was awesome. Did some stuff in the ring you don't even see now. Way ahead of his time.

I believe that Savage/HBK match marks the last time Elizabeth ever made a WWF appearance.

Also want to check out the Shiek/Santana match. That took place two days before Hogan won the title. It marks Sheik's only successful televised title defense.

Guest heyguesswhatidid

Will the 26th be the last update of September or the First update of October?

Thesz/Rocca is tough to really rate from a modern perspective...I mostly watched for historical purposes. The Robinson match was just to feature him a bit, it was nowhere near his best work but decent. I have yet to watch Liger/Dragon mainly because I've always thought Ultimo Dragon sucked really hard. He used to do that idiotic "stand on his head in the corner" spot that I loathed with a passion. That and I found it absurd that he had 8 title belts at one point in his WCW run from an overseas tourney. And you thought Kurt Angle was overpushed in TNA.

Best of Bret Hart (I cannot find any listings for this tape)

Bret Hitman Hart (WF140)

09/29/93 Bret Hart vs. Jerry Lawler

01/12/94 Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

1990s Bret Hart career highlights

02/01/94 Bret Hart vs. Irwin R. Schyster

08/31/93 Bret Hart vs. Adam Bomb

04/11/94 Bret Hart vs. Kwang

06/13/93 Bret Hart highlights from winning King of the Ring

12/01/93 Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (steel cage match)

03/20/94 Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna (referee Roddy Piper) (Hart wins WWF World Title)

I hope that's the one.

Sadly not but I really enjoyed what it really was (sometimes more for the insane commentary team of Heenan, Ross, and Savage - in TWO matches Heenan did crazy rants about tag team match psychology during singles bouts, causing Ross and Savage to lose it. Funny stuff)

Matches:

Bigelow (Title defense for Coliseum Video - called by Ross/Savage/Heenan despite it being chronologically impossible for Ross and Heenan to call a Bret Hart title defense together outside of Mania IX). Guess which move Bret uses to win? Anyone that's seen the KOTR 93 and Barcelona match probably already knows.

Blake Beverly - Absolutely hilarious in how it's booked. The ending barely makes sense. Bret looks like a fool and Blake Beverly of all people is protected. Must be from 1992 because of PTW banners but again, Ross/Heenan/Savage on commentary.

Fatu - This is from a 1993 Raw but for some reason they did new (chronologically impossible) commentary with Ross/Heenan/Savage where Heenan continues his running joke about tag matches.

Shawn Michaels - and IC title defense called by Monsoon and JR (which is REALLY chronologically impossible). Nothing special, no conclusive ending, but ok.

Overall, an entertaining hour.

Coming soon: I recap 24/7 shows on WO.com

Overall, Bret essentially jobs twice (though one of those is technically a win) on his own tape but

Will the 26th be the last update of September or the First update of October?

Looking like the 1st update of October. I think October might be the first ever 6 week schedule (unless they move to November on the 24th). A 6 week month would fir their plan to air Tombstone: History of the Undertaker in 6 parts, though.

I finally watched World Class last night, and sadly I was unimpressed with the Freebirds' "heel turn." I think part of it is that Scott Keith built it up SO much to be some blow away moment that almost ended in a riot, but really, it was no different than HBK's heel turn as a result of costing Taker the title at SummerSlam 97.

And really, since when does making a mistake make someone a heel??? Scott Keith says that part of it was that Hayes was offended that David wouldn't accept his share of the 6-Man Tag Titles, so we'll have to wait and see how that part of the angle plays out.

But right now, it just seems like Mercer said, that Hayes was overzealous and Gordy lost his temper. I guess it's the weeks to come that will shape the feud.

And why is Hayes in the studio acting like it was some grand plan on his part? Is this something that will be borne out in the coming weeks? He planned to be overzealous? He planned to Kerry to run into Gordy knowing that Gordy would lose his temper? The situation is being built up to be such a grand thing, and really, all it appears to be right now is that Hayes and Gordy lost their tempers.

I finally watched World Class last night, and sadly I was unimpressed with the Freebirds' "heel turn." I think part of it is that Scott Keith built it up SO much to be some blow away moment that almost ended in a riot, but really, it was no different than HBK's heel turn as a result of costing Taker the title at SummerSlam 97.

It wasn't so much the heel turn. It was the buildup towards Kerry Von Erich challenging for the world title, finally getting his fair shot, and losing it due to interference. The feud afterward set the territory on fire. It's more of a historic moment in wrestling.

And why is Hayes in the studio acting like it was some grand plan on his part? Is this something that will be borne out in the coming weeks? He planned to be overzealous? He planned to Kerry to run into Gordy knowing that Gordy would lose his temper? The situation is being built up to be such a grand thing, and really, all it appears to be right now is that Hayes and Gordy lost their tempers.

Again, note that Hayes at the end references Fritz Von Erich after things get heated between him and Kevin. It's one of those things where you have to read between the lines. He is referring to the booking.

It wasn't so much the heel turn. It was the buildup towards Kerry Von Erich challenging for the world title, finally getting his fair shot, and losing it due to interference. The feud afterward set the territory on fire. It's more of a historic moment in wrestling.

Again, note that Hayes at the end references Fritz Von Erich after things get heated between him and Kevin. It's one of those things where you have to read between the lines. He is referring to the booking.

That and the fact if a person looked at the Von Erichs wrong... they'd get heel heat. The Von Erichs could sacrifice small children in the Sportatorium, and they would still be wildly over as faces.