TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zappafrank

Examples of a Wrestler TRULY Being Put Over

It was about that time though IIRC where Cena started getting over with the fans. Even if he got his ass kicked, it was that feud alone that pretty much made Cena a star.

How did it make him a star, exactly? How was it different from any other feuds where Taker was all like "Okay, we'll have a match and I'll beat you, and then we'll have some rematches and I'll beat you, this will lead to a match on the PPV where I'll beat you, and it'll eventually build up to a big gimmick blowoff match where I'll win the feud." Everyone from Test to Heidenreich got the same treatment from Taker, who hasn't put over any new young talent since 1986.

John Cena/Undertaker at Vengence 2003 is a perfect example of getting a wrestler over without jobbing.

Would that be the match were Undertaker pulled Cena up at two, kicked out of his finisher and then pinned him clean?

That's not putting someone over.

Maybe he was talking about Undertaker.

I actually think the feud that got Cena over was the tantalizing and brief Eddie angle. Remember that, where Cena laid out Eddie in El Paso and stole his hubcaps...this drew massive heel heat. Then they had the parking lot match, which is still to me one of Cena's best matches. Cena actually jobbed in that match too, but Eddie made him out like a threat and it got Cena over. He turned face soon after.

The UT angle didn't do shit for Cena. He just jobbed in it. You could say his title match with Brock at Backlash got him over using that criteria.

Guest droptoehold

Cena got Cena over

no one had the match that made him

his charisma is what did it 100%

your definitions of putting someone over

are real weak

It's a matter of semantics really. Cena was starting to become notable throughout 2003 but to me being over = having credibility with the audience. Cena was amusing on the mic with his raps and such, but was he really credible when he was mainly jobbing to Brock and UT?

He got himself over, at least that's what I think.

He had good charisma, and the fans fed off it. The raps helped. He did nothing BUT job during the time he was getting over.

How did it make him a star, exactly? How was it different from any other feuds where Taker was all like "Okay, we'll have a match and I'll beat you, and then we'll have some rematches and I'll beat you, this will lead to a match on the PPV where I'll beat you, and it'll eventually build up to a big gimmick blowoff match where I'll win the feud." Everyone from Test to Heidenreich got the same treatment from Taker, who hasn't put over any new young talent since 1986.

Cena had those great raps and vignettes leading into the feud. Some were funny and some were just downright crazy (Seriously, has there been anybody else in WWE history who had the balls to call the Undertaker a fa---t?) The fans fed into it plus Cena came THIS close to beating the Undertaker at Vengeance. The crowd was totally into the match. Nobody took John Cena seriously (remember Backlash a few months prior?) until that match with the Phenom. Even though he lost, it definitely got him noticed the way he and the company wanted to be by the fans and IMO UT definitely gave him a "rub" (I remember hearing nothing, but negative stuff about the bout leading into it on this board) just by working that program with him because John Cena's career took off from there.

Guest droptoehold
Cena got Cena over

no one had the match that made him

his charisma is what did it 100%

your definitions of putting someone over

are real weak

Then let's hear your definition.

ive seen enough on this board to know

thats a conversation worth passing on

So you start a fight, and then suddenly realize, "oh shit, I'm gonna get my ass kicked" and are all like "dude, it's not worth fighting over this"? Also, are your shift, caps lock, and every one of the punctuation keys on your computer all broken?

Cena had those great raps and vignettes leading into the feud. Some were funny and some were just downright crazy (Seriously, has there been anybody else in WWE history who had the balls to call the Undertaker a fa---t?)

Remember when he was doing a promo (I think it was while his leg was healing or something) outside, and at the end the camera panned back to reveal he was standing in the middle of a burning pentagram? That was badass.

Guest droptoehold

Dear Jingus,

I apologize if you took it as me trying to "start a fight" over the internet.

I felt with the emphasis on a word like TRULY being used in the subject

of a question is someone being put over, some of the examples in my

eye's did not carry the weight of "TRULY being put over". I also do not

fear getting my ass kicked in a wrestling discussion online, I just choose

whom I would debate a bit wiser. I respect most of your opinions but

some of your passion of argument is stronger than opinion opinion at times.

I will also work on my form using proper punctuation, my apology.

Examples to me of someone TRULY being put over to me are..

Razor v Kid

Foley v Orton

As for the Cena argument if i were to say one person put him over the

most besides himself would be The Big Show. He was the first to put

Cena over as a force as he could FU the 500 pound monster and dropped

the US Title to him at WMXX.

either way :headbang:

Those are indeed good examples. I was actually thinking the Cena/Big Show thing too, as Cena is easily the smallest guy to ever throw Show around.

I wasn't surprised at Cena beating HHH, considering that Trips had jobbed in the previous two Mania main events. What DID surprise me was the finish being him tapping out to the STFU, since Cena hadn't used it to win very many matches at that point, he'd only started doing it a few weeks before that.