TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zappafrank

Examples of a Wrestler TRULY Being Put Over

In one of the the other threads there is disussion of whether Hogan, HHH, or Austin truly put people over.

What would you say are some good examples of someone truly being put over by another wrestler? And remember, "putting over" doesn't necessarily mean "lost to."

Here are some to start:

- Flair putting Sting over at Clash I

- Rock putting Brock over at SumSlam 02

- HHH putting Benjamin over on Benjamin's 1st RAW appearance (I contend that later booking is what killed Shelton's heat, not anything HHH did or didn't do in that and other matches)

- Foley putting over Orton at Backlash 04

- Hart putting Austin over at WM 13

In one of the the other threads there is disussion of whether Hogan, HHH, or Austin truly put people over.

What would you say are some good examples of someone truly being put over by another wrestler? And remember, "putting over" doesn't necessarily mean "lost to."

Here are some to start:

- HHH putting Benjamin over on Benjamin's 1st RAW appearance (I contend that later booking is what killed Shelton's heat, not anything HHH did or didn't do in that and other matches)

How was HHH's one night only fluke flash pin to Benjamin putting him over? It wasn't even remotely close to putting someone over. Getting a fluke pin on HHH isn't being put over. It was just a nice moment that meant nothing.

If you want a proper example using HHH for putting someone over, you'd be better off with Batista. HHH did three PPV jobs to him, including high profile matches at WM and HIAC, which had become HHH's "match".

I agree with all of those, with the exception of HHH putting over Shelton. It's true that poor creative handling is mostly responsible for what happened with him afterwards (although to be fair, Shelton does get kind of sloppy in the ring on occasion, and IIRC, had a couple incidents with his attitude backstage), but that win, on top of being done mainly to further the Benoit-HHH feud, was looked at as a fluke from the moment it happened, and IIRC, HHH even laughed off his request for a rematch in a promo. Some may call that good heeling, but I seriously doubt that, say, the Rock or even Austin would had treated it the same way. At least the Hurricane got somewhat of a rub from his backstage segments with Rock building to their match. Shelton was never going to be seen as a threat to HHH's spot, and everyone knows that.

I'd say that Sting was elevated by Flair, rather than "put over." Flair did give him a really good match, but Sting *was* still in the midcard for almost a year and a half following.

EDIT: By "elevated" I mean from relative unknown to said spot in the upper midcard, obv.

Edited by alfdogg

The ending was so damn ridiculous (in Hogan/Yoko) that I can't count it. He put him over as being able to kick out of the legdrop, but when it came to beating him it took a fireball.

That sounds like some Street Fighter shit. Had Hogan taken the Banzai, I'd have given it merit.

I guess I'll rewatch it.

I watched the end and he only did it once. I'll concede, but I still don't think he really put the guy over.

Here's a question to ponder: How many guys did Bret Hart really put over that weren't members of his own family? I wouldn't say HBK at WM 12 since it had that lame OT nonsense that protected Bret too much. It's curious that Bret has a rep for putting guys over, but I can't think of anyone. Yoko of course got more from beating Hogan than his ultra tainted win over Bret. Backlund got nothing but a 1 week title run from beating Bret.

To be honest I wouldn't even count SS 92 vs. Bulldog as Bret putting him over, since Bulldog was out of the company about 3 months later. I guess he did put Owen over and then beat him in EVERY other match.

Hogan over Andre... yes, Hogan was wildly over before this... but still... beating Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania III only increased the Hogan legend and made him look like a legitimate superman for bodyslamming Andre.

Bret Hart over Mr. Perfect - The match really made Bret Hart as a singles wrestler due to Curt making him look like a million bucks.

I'd also say the Dudleys/Hardys tables match at the 2000 Royal Rumble put both teams over as it ushered in the "Table, Ladders, and Chairs" era of the tag-team division and put both teams on the map in terms of mainstream wrestling fans.

I think Undertaker helped put Brock over in the Hell in a Cell as much as The Rock or Hogan did in their respective matches.

Guest Mos_Def
Here's a question to ponder: How many guys did Bret Hart really put over that weren't members of his own family?

Nobody really, but because he was friends with Dave Meltzer his rep was protected. Had another wrestler had as many backstage incidents and repeated cases of unprofessionalism they would have become a dirt sheet pariah --- but somehow Bret escaped all that when the same cant be said for HBK. For further evidence of the 'Meltzer effect': See Ric Flair.

I guess Bret did lose on occasion to Hakushi or someone, but again it was one of those "I'll job to you but then beat you EVERY other time." In all fairness I think Bret would have put Benoit over for the title in WCW had he not had the career ending injury. That is what they seemed to be building to, since Benoit almost beat him in the Owen match (which was good booking by the way, Bret would have looked like the pussy of the universe to job in a match honoring his dead brother) and Benoit also got close to winning the WCW tourney finals vs. Bret.

I thought Bret put Diesel over pretty well with the whole post-match attack at SS 95. Although he won the belt, Diesel still looked good with the pummeling he gave Bret after. And although he drove through guys like Oulette, Yankem, etc. he did make them look good.

And I do remember someone saying Bret wanted to job in the Owen tribute match. Not sure though.

You don't have to job to someone to put them over, either. Bret's matches with Benoit went a long way towards Benoit being taken seriously as a main-eventer.

Here's a question to ponder: How many guys did Bret Hart really put over that weren't members of his own family?

Nobody really, but because he was friends with Dave Meltzer...

Except he wasn't friends with Meltzer. In fact, he hated him quite a lot until around 1998.

And I do remember someone saying Bret wanted to job in the Owen tribute match. Not sure though.

He did. His argument was that he didn't need to beat Benoit because the match was going to be such that they'd both gain from it so it didn't matter if he won or not.

I totally disagree with Bret there. Imagine if he taps to the crossface in that match. The dude would have given up in a match honoring his dead brother, who died in that very arena no less. I certainly think that Bret should have eventually jobbed to Benoit and put him over for the title, but that particular match was not the time for it.

Bret put people over with the matches themselves more then doing a job. I know HBK was getting himself over by himself, but regardless of what people say about the overtime...Bret made HBK into a bonafide main eventer at Wrestlemania in the Ironman match. I was a young mark watching that match, and it changed my entire opinion on HBK.

Looking back...Bret always seem to make people look good in matches..

He had great matches with Hakushi and 123 Kid and a lot of other during the early/mid 90s

He didnt job but midcarders sure looked like they stepped up there game when they faced him

Guest Mos_Def

That rationale never worked with HHH when he was a net heel...HHH was routinely having great matches, but people got on him because he wasnt jobbing. Say what you will about him, but he was instrumental in turning Jericho and Benoit into credible guys in the fans' eyes.

Guest Mos_Def

Nobody really, but because he was friends with Dave Meltzer...

Except he wasn't friends with Meltzer. In fact, he hated him quite a lot until around 1998.

Well, I'm not going to claim to know their personal history and whatever hissy fits or ups and downs they go through, but Meltzer is clearly biased. During his coverage of SS 97, and the ensuing fallout, Meltzer didnt once mention that Hart tried to leave the WWF with the Intercontinental Belt in 92. He clearly had an agenda.

Goldberg was put over massively by Hall and Hogan at the Atlanta Nitro.

Hogan didn't put Goldberg over. To save time, I'll repost my explanation from the earlier thread:

Goldberg beat Hogan, but what happened in the follow-up? Goldberg almost always worked the secondary top match and once wasn't even on the PPV at all. Hogan was still in the main events, and even when he wasn't, for Havoc against Warrior, it was still the match that got the most promotion ahead of Goldberg's match. That isn't putting Goldberg over.

You don't have to job to someone to put them over, either.

True, and some people assume that jobbing to someone means putting them over, when you can lose to someone and bury them at the same time, either in the body of the match or the follow up.

When I think put over and jobbing, for some reason I think THE ROCK.

Is it fair to say he tried to make Jericho a star TWICE within 6 months? I think he truly put over Jericho as a World Champion when he beat him for the WCW title and when he established him as a heel at the Royal Rumble. It's too bad Austin and HHH sandbagged Jericho from a great run as world champion.

Also, would it be fair to included the Rock putting over Mankind on the RAw where he beat him to become World Champion?

Also, I never saw the match but did Rocky put over Angle at No Mercy 2000 when he dropped the title to him?

Rock-HHH ladder match to put over Hunter?

I guess the Rock was the total package. Had everything, over as hell with the crowd and never bitched about doing a job, UNLESS you name is Shawn Michaels.

Also, I never saw the match but did Rocky put over Angle at No Mercy 2000 when he dropped the title to him?

Absolutley not. The win wasn't clean and Angle had a horribly booked title reign where he was shoved down the card several times and only won matches either by cheating (Survivor Series 2000 against Taker) or by pure luck (6 man Hell in a Cell, vs HHH at Rumble '01).