TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zappafrank

Examples of a Wrestler TRULY Being Put Over

Yeah, at a younger age, you really couldn't tell. It's not like Hogan at WM IV where it was so deliberate it was sickening.

A point made regarding why Warrior didn't get as expected was that he did beat Hogan, with the possibility that some people resented him because of it, and he might have done better had they transitioned the belt to Warrior via some heel. Of course, the fact would still remain that Warrior didn't have a great list of heels to take on after winning the title; his big programs were against Hennig, who nobody took seriously in the main event, and Rick Rude, who had already feuded with Warrior the year before with Warrior coming out on top

Seems like a better scenario might have been having Warrior beat a transitional heel for the belt (Hennig or Savage) and saving the Hogan match for WMVII. By that time, they would have known whether or not he was working out as champ. If he was, a final Hogan job might have truly put him over the top. If he wasn't, they could go to the tried and true formula of a Warrior turn on Hogan with Hulk vanquishing him in the blowoff a la WMV.

Did Gurrerro over Lesnar count or was it the Goldberg interference that made it null and void?

Also, what about Mysterio over Nash? Apparently Nash think's so.

I'd say Eddie was put over pretty strong there, more because of his personal story than anything. As far as the way the match ended, I'd say it was as much to put heat on Brock/Goldberg as anything, but it worked both ways.

Edited by alfdogg

Seems like a better scenario might have been having Warrior beat a transitional heel for the belt (Hennig or Savage) and saving the Hogan match for WMVII. By that time, they would have known whether or not he was working out as champ. If he was, a final Hogan job might have truly put him over the top. If he wasn't, they could go to the tried and true formula of a Warrior turn on Hogan with Hulk vanquishing him in the blowoff a la WMV.

The problem would have been getting the belt onto someone else and making that someone else look strong enough to hold the belt in the transitional period. Even losing to Andre had to be overbooked as hell for the company to get the belt onto Savage, and in that situation, Hogan still had to be at the driving point of the angle, and the match in which Savage won the belt.

The WWF backed themselves into that situation, they had so much invested in Hogan and his drawing power that they couldn't afford to piss him off. He had them by the balls, as is the case when you feed so many wrestlers to a guy and feed his star power.

Also, what about Mysterio over Nash? Apparently Nash think's so.

Oh hell no. Nash unmasked Rey after the Outsiders beat Rey/Konnan at Superbrawl, then did a "slipped on a banana peel" fluke job to Rey which meant absolutely nothing, and then finally buried the shit out of him in their last singles match at Uncensored which saw Rey getting in exactly four offensive moves before getting sloppily powerbombed and pinned.

Guest JohnFTW

I'm going to pick a ROH moment here.

When Samoa Joe dropped the ROH Title to Austin Aries, I think that just skyrocketed Aries career. I didn't think much of him until he went over Joe. That was a major moment in ROH history and in putting Aries as a main eventer.

I agree with that ROH sentiment. Pretty much whoever finally beat Joe had a rocket ship to overness in ROH. That pop wasn't the loudest I've heard, but definitely one of the most unique.

Guest TheFabulousJakey

Chris Jericho putting over Christian at WrestleMania XX? Yes, Christian left with injury a short while after and was never the same when he came back thanks to WWE's glass ceiling, but I thought it was one of the only times Christian looked like he was gonna finally have a big future in WWE.

Jericho and Angle heavily put over John Cena as a credible wrestler during his intial cookie-cutter face run.

It's esoteric, but I think the first time Trish Stratus was ever taken seriously as a wrestler was going over Jazz at the '02 Royal Rumble.

Randy Orton after tonight?

When I saw there was a new post in this thread, I knew it would be about Orton going over Triple H. I think Triple H did a good job putting Orton over in the 2nd match, but then again he did beat Orton with a roll up earlier in the night.

Jericho and Angle heavily put over John Cena as a credible wrestler during his intial cookie-cutter face run.

Heh, that was funny. Especially here when Anglesault kept referring to Cena as "The Typewriter" based on Cena's OVW run as "Prototype"

Also I forget who it was, but a Jericho fan had a sig featuring a "what a difference a year makes" for Jericho where one year he is battling for the title, the next he is jobbing to Cena.

Guest clon3isnasty

I was there at No Mercy live and when H beat Orton in the first match I was rolling my eyes. Once H/Umaga came up in the middle of the card, I figured they were going to do something with Orton/HHH as the main event. I think H did a great job in the main event putting Orton over, and if they cool off the program, which it seems they are going to, then all is well. But if the plan is for something like Orton/HHH at Survivor Series, and H is the next WWE Champ then well, no he didn't put him over. But I think they are saving that for Mania anyway, so, if they can keep Orton strong until then, or if he doesn't screw it up himself by being a prick, then I think they've done their job in "putting him over".

Let's see. The true definition of being put over is being placed on the higher tier above the guy doing the putting over, or replacing his spot while he goes into your old spot underneath you. Did Triple H do this? No. If it is assumed that HHH is getting the big win at Mania, then HHH would simply replace Randy Orton as the champion while retaining his spot as a "franchise player".

Guest droptoehold

You dont need to have a belt to really put someone over.

The biggest to me is Ravor & "The Kid"

Let's see. The true definition of being put over is being placed on the higher tier above the guy doing the putting over, or replacing his spot while he goes into your old spot underneath you.

I don't agree with this. Sting truly put Cactus Jack over at Beach Blast '92 but their positions on the card didn't necessarily change. But I don't think it can be denied that after that point, Jack was taken more seriously as a part of the WCW roster (well, barring the stupidity of the amnesia angle).

And Flair put Sting over at the 1st Clash, and it's talked about to this day as the match that made Sting. And yet Flair stayed as champ while Sting worked his way up the mid-card.

I thought Benoit made Orton look like a million bucks at Summerslam when he lost the WHC. I'll grant it, whatever rub, or momentum Orton got from that match was killed off by HHH a few weeks later.

I just saw the Orton, Flair cage match from Taboo Tuesday, and that match was as good a match to put over Orton as the Foley match months earlier at Backlash. Damn good cage match.

I also agree with the Sting/Cactus Beach Blast match. Very good match for both men. For Cactus it helped establish a bit more credibility while for Sting it gave him a good non-title match, and showed him working a different style then he was used to.

Gotta love WCW back then. That Beach Blast show has stuff like Sting/Cactus non title and Steamboat/Rude was also non title. It's like they went out of their way to not draw a buyrate.

Would Andy Kaufman getting piledriven straight to hell be considered putting Lawler over?

I'm serious. Lawler went from being a local celebrity to a national celebrity almost overnight with that one move and the Letterman appearance.

Would Andy Kaufman getting piledriven straight to hell be considered putting Lawler over?

I'm serious. Lawler went from being a local celebrity to a national celebrity almost overnight with that one move and the Letterman appearance.

The Letterman appearance yes. Andy Kaufman made himself look like a complete dick on national television for the sake of Lawler's career.

Booker T/Chris Benoit best of 7 matches in WCW, got Booker T over as solo wrestler, and eventually to a main eventer.

Dean Malenko/Chris Jericho feud was the 1st time people got a chance to see Jericho's natural charisma, and got fans jumping on his bandwagon.

Don't know if it was mentioned, but Benoit put MVP over big time in that 2/3 falls match for the US title a while back (Can't remember what show that was at for the life of me)

John Cena/Undertaker at Vengence 2003 is a perfect example of getting a wrestler over without jobbing.

Would that be the match were Undertaker pulled Cena up at two, kicked out of his finisher and then pinned him clean?

That's not putting someone over.