TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

FOX Sunday Night - 2007/2008 Season

I watched the ep of Family Guy on AS last night that aired a couple weeks ago with Brian moving in with Jillian and they showed the bit that FOX edited out with Quagmire chasing Marge Simpson around on the bottom of the screen (like an annoying FOX promo) and it ended with Homer shooting Marge, Bart shooting Homer, Lisa shooting Bart, Maggie shooting Lisa and Maggie apparently killing herself.

No, it ends with Quagmire killing the entire Simpsons family, not the family killing one another:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bLL5veqdweg

Well - tonight is the night Family Guy finally jumped the shark, I think.

But the "I'm going to pretend you're the New York Knicks" line was fantastic.

Well - tonight is the night Family Guy finally jumped the shark, I think.

But the "I'm going to pretend you're the New York Knicks" line was fantastic.

Yeah, I did laugh more at the 100 Episode special clip show they did tonight than the regular show. I enjoyed the interviews with the people who have never seen the show.

"Is that David Hyde Pierce?"

"Yes"

"Oh, I'm so disappointed in him..."

From what I heard on a radio interview with Seth earlier this week, this will be the last new episode because he is joining the writers on strike

Yeah, it's a bit weird because according to the wikipedia entry on the 2007 Writer's Guild strike (where I get all my TV show status info from) Seth said tonight's episode is the last "under his watch", but Fox claims they have enough for the whole month.

In what can only be good news for The Simpsons, they apparently have 22 episodes already in the can.

I'm confused as to how, with the nature of animated programming and the length of time it takes to do an episode, they don't have more episodes of Family Guy in the can. Unless it's a matter of them not having done the voice recording yet.

More importantly, he does half the main characters' voices, so if he strikes there's basically no show.

But there really should be more than just a month's worth of episodes in the can, this ain't like South Park where they throw the show together over a few days, FG is animated overseas and it takes months to produce each episode. It wouldn't be an issue with not having the voices recorded either, since typically those are done first and then the animators match it up.

The 10 Beer Commandments... the cornerstone of the Brewish faith.

As a fan of meta humour, I enjoyed FG's ending... you knew it all had to get retconned by the end anyway, so that was as good a way to do it than any. And hey, like Stewie said, it wasn't a cliche dream ending!

King of the Hill was odd... so Cotton's dead and Didi and GH don't bother to stop by? At least Luanne's marriage and pregnancy were actually mentioned for a change this season.

Yeah, KotH was beyond weird the way they killed off Cotton, like Simspons killing Maud or Seinfeld killing Susan levels of bizarre death. I mean, really, long lingering death over choking on a shrimp and tripping and falling?

All of the shows last night had some kind of swerve which in theory would long-term affect the series. Milhouse's parents get back together, Hank's dad dies, and if American Dad were any less goofy a happening like Haley shooting Stan in the head would be fairly important. Did Fox maybe ask the creators to start doing more ongoing-storyline type plot twists?

And then there was Family Guy. I liked the episode and found it fairly entertaining, especially the running gimmick of Stewie forcing Brian to randomly insult Joe. The ending, though... well like Venk said, there's no way they could let this and the previous episode stand as canon, they had to Take It Back somehow. Still, writing something weak and then having your owh characters bitch about it being weak, while amusing in a self-referential fashion, doesn't change the fact that it still is weak.

The Joe/Brian interaction were definitely the best bits of the episode - Joe's reactions were great. I got a kick out of Stewie calling Stan "Joe" as well.

Back to Cotton, something I thought of last night was the odd coincidence to kill off a war veteran on Veteran's / Remembrance Day. Of course, with KotH's sporadic airing schedule, that episode could have been originally targeted for an air date months and months ago (though Luanne being married and pregnant suggests it was at least menat for this season and not an un-aired left over like I suspect most of this season has been so far).

I actually liked the family guy shows.

Consider it revoked made me laugh pretty hard, as did the macaroni picture, merman, Joe/Brian interactions, take out those breast and the ending. Pretty much the whole ep honestly. The one before it was a little weak, but still funny.

I don't know. maybe I am one of the few that don't require perfection to like something. You give me 4-5 lol moments in 20 minutes of screen time and I'm good.

"Show creator and voice actor Seth MacFarlane said the November 11th episode (Lois Kills Stewie) was the last episode produced under his watch and there are no more new episodes ready. [91] Fox says they will complete the last three episodes written, voiced and animated without MacFarlane's final approval to air during the remainder of November, which he termed "a colossal dick move" in an interview with Variety"

So I take that to mean they're just not edited / have final approval, but all the voices are there (hope they don't need any ADR).

Yeah, I'm watching it West Coast style right now (watched Survivor Series during the east coast airing) and it's really good. King of the Hill, Family Guy, American Dad - you have your work cut out for you.

It dropped off after the main plot started. I loved all the comic geek stuff like the Japanese candy, the Korean pop music, Tintin (fucking Tintin), all the Alan Moore jokes (I can't believe they had the Lost Girls poster up) and Maus. Once it got away from the comic shop, it got kinda spotty.

Family Guy had some killer jokes tonight, despite being pretty bad overall.

The uninjured veterans float, the mexican abortion, and the hidden ending to Dirty Dancing were all amazing.

Family Guy was so bad it was painful tonight. I really wish they hadn't renewed it at this point. The show is so bad now, it's just depressing-I can't even yell at the TV over how bad it is now.

Didn't see Simpsons, but the rest was weak.

-King of the Hill seems to be stuck in that late-season-Seinfeld mode, where they've been on the air long enough that anything they do is either a rehash of previous episodes (how many MegaloMart vs. Small Business episodes does this make now?) or something which just feels wrong and contrary to the tone of the show (last week.)

-Family Guy, as always, has some staggeringly funny individual jokes, almost every episode there's something which has me on the floor laughing. The problem is, you have to sit through a lot of tedious bullshit to get there. What was the point of sledgehammering us over the head with political commentaries like Soldiers = Stupid, Illegal Immigrants = Noble, and Rich Americans = Satan?

-American Dad would've been a lot funnier if they hadn't gone so overboard with the 40 Year Old Virgin parody. Also, it contradicted a lot of earlier episodes where I swear I remember Stan either killing or aggressively trying to kill various people.

So, overall, the best animation I saw all night was when Hank & Dean thought Brock was wrestling a phantom spaceman when he was just fucking a really ugly chick on a Venture Brothers rerun.

Family Guy was so bad it was painful tonight. I really wish they hadn't renewed it at this point. The show is so bad now, it's just depressing-I can't even yell at the TV over how bad it is now.

You know, you have the option to not watch the show.

I personally, once again, had no problem with Family GUy.

Stan previously killed Johnson's (CIA co-worker) body double while aimlessly firing his weapon during a zoned out flashback to his high school prom where pigs were dropped on him.

I don't want to sound like one of those "omg Family Guy sure sucks since season 3, should have never come back!" guys, but wow last night's episode was bad. An odd thing was the scene transition from Lois saying Peter just learned what 9/11 meant 3 years ago to Peter setting a trap for Toby Keith (why was he even doing this?) - it had no music cue and I thought it was going to somehow be a cut away gag from Lois' 9/11 comment. That's what happens when you air unfinished episodes, Fox!