TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball 9/24-10/1

Edit: God damnit Bob beat me to it. I miss EVIL~! alkeiper

I thought I brought it back the last few hours.

Al, not that I'm bitter -- okay, maybe I am a little -- but that thread does not make you look good here at all.

That was two years ago. Back then I was idealistic, young, and my girlfriend hadn't yet fucked me over.

The 2005 easily. I'd rather have no series at all than that series. As a matter of fact I'd probably take the phantom 1994 series over any WS from 2003 to now.

Guest Smues

1994. 2005 was just a dull one sided series with no long term effects on the game. The strike in 94 did it's damnedest to kill baseball.

Yeah, the 1999 World Series was possibly the worst thing I had to sit through.

Yeah my point was that the 2005 one was a competitive sweep, every game could have gone either way. The 1999 one? Total annihilation. The only game the Braves looked competitive in was Game 3 when that went to extra innings. But will Bob, a Braves fan, mention that? No.

Figured I'd throw in the post about thanking Craig Biggio for being an Astro for the past twenty years.

Watching the end of the game..seeing his final at bat then everything at the end with him taking a lap around Minute Maid and getting the standing ovation from the crowd wound up bringing a few tears to my eyes.

I'm glad we could send him off with a win in his final game and here's to hoping he has a great retirement.

From the Preseason Predictions thread. All in all, I'd say I did damn good. Better than most of the "experts" out there.

AL West

LA Angels

Oakland

Texas

Seattle

Comments: This is a year where I am more down on Oakland than most and a little bullish on LA. Oakland got a bit lucky last year and they've now lost their most durable pitcher and most reliable offensive weapon. 85 wins seems right. The Angels are going to have the best pitching in the AL top to bottom if Weaver holds up and Colon can give them something in the second half. They'll probably start getting something from all the great prospectst that have been touted in recent years as well. As for Texas and Seattle, I see them both challenging in the division but ultimately falling short because of significant weaknesses.

AL Central

Cleveland

Minnesota

Detroit

Chicago

Kansas City

Comments: Any of the top four teams can win this division. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't see this being the best division in baseball as the three teams that dominated last year all look much weaker this year, either because of talent moves or likely regression. Cleveland has come up short the past two seasons and it seems like luck has to work in their favor eventually. It's the best offense in baseball and the pitching is adequte enough. Kansas City will finish last by a margin, but they are going to give a lot of good teams fits this year.

AL East

NY Yankees

Boston (WC)

Toronto

Tampa Bay

Baltimore

Comments: It's going to be a fight all year in this division between the top 2, but it's hard to go against the Yankees. Boston features the better rotation and middle lineup (3-4-5), but NY has a stronger bullpen and deeper lineup 1-9. Toronto will likely regress some from last year unless they get the back end of the roatation solved. Tampa wil score runs in bunches but fall apart on the pitching side.

NL West

San Diego

Arizona

LA Dodgers

Colorado

San Francisco

Comments: From a talent standpoint I like the Dodgers, but I fear that they are going to spend too much time giving at bats to Luis Gonzalez, Juan Pierre and Nomar. They failed to replace their best offensive talent and that's not a recipe for success on a team that often struggled to put up runs. Arizona has the most upside, but I still like San Diego because of their solid pitching and offense that should be upgraded from last year with the acquisitions of Koumanoff and Giles.

NL Central

St. Louis

Milwaukee (WC)

Chicago

Houston

Pittsburgh

Cincinnati

Comments: St. Louis will feature improved pitching this year, but I'm not confident about the lineup. Mikwaukee has the most upside in the division but the wretched defense is not going to help an already shaky pitching staff. Chicago spent the most in the offseason and should be a contender, but the lack of OBP in that lineup could still give them fits. None of three teams at the bottom really excite me, as they all have shaky rotations and lackluster offense.

NL East

Philadelphia

NY Mets

Atlanta

Florida

Washington

Comments: Philadelphia has the best pitching and hitting in the division, especially if they can move Lieber to improve 3B or the OF. I liked Atlanta a little better than New York, but the impending sale could cause them to lose Andruw Jones and/or Tim Hudson, which lowers my expectations considerably. New York will still be a threat, but they have to solve the pitching issues first. Florida probably won't overachieve on the level of last year and Washington is going to be the worst team in baseball by a huge margin.

How great is it that after every Chicago media personality ripped PECOTA for predicting a 72-90 season for the Chicago White Sox that the team ends up 72-90? I'm sure none of those writers or front office people will admit how wrong they were now.

Well, now we know who's calling what in the first round of the playoffs.

Cubs and Diamondbacks: Ron Darling and Dick Stockton

Phillies and Rockies/Padres: Don Orsillo and Joe Simpson

Angels and Red Sox: Ted Robinson and Steve Stone

Indians and Yankees: Chip Caray, Tony Gwynn, and Bob Brenly

Don and Joe will also call tonight's tiebreaker on TBS.

Cubs are going with a three-man rotation for the NLDS, just announced today. Also, rumor is that Marquis won't make the roster.

And Phil Rogers says the first two games will be 9:30 CST.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Dick Stockton, he of "home run for Adolfo Soriano" and "1 and 1 on Angel Pecan"? Come on. And what happened to accommodating the Central and Eastern time zones by not putting the western games on so fucking late? TBS sucks already.

Well, now we know who's calling what in the first round of the playoffs.

Cubs and Diamondbacks: Ron Darling and Dick Stockton

Phillies and Rockies/Padres: Don Orsillo and Joe Simpson

Angels and Red Sox: Ted Robinson and Steve Stone

Indians and Yankees: Chip Caray, Tony Gwynn, and Bob Brenly

Don and Joe will also call tonight's tiebreaker on TBS.

I will miss the sweet sounds of D.O. Knowing he's calling postseason baseball, but it's not for the Red Sox, just doesn't seem right.

Here's a little something that flew under the radar this weekend. Kevin Youkilis tied the major league record set by Steve Garvey with a fielding percentage of 1.000. That's right. He went the entire season without making a single error which is something no other AL 1B has ever accompished. Really impressive feat that should make him a lock for a Gold Glove.

Dick Stockton, he of "home run for Adolfo Soriano" and "1 and 1 on Angel Pecan"? Come on. And what happened to accommodating the Central and Eastern time zones by not putting the western games on so fucking late? TBS sucks already.

Since all the games are on TBS and there are three games in one day. The home games are in Boston, Philadelphia and Phoenix. You can figure out who gets screwed from there.

Whoever thought to put all of the games on one station should be shot. 3pm for both weekday games (this Wed. and Thurs.) for the Phillies?!? I get one game was going to be during the day, but why fuck over the Philly fans both days.

Guess I'll take a half day to watch Game 1 but have to just follow the second game online.

The start times are flat-out odd. 6:30pm starts instead of 7pm starts? The big problem with some matchups is that there is no consistency. Neither AL series starts at the same time on back-to-back days. I support TBS getting the games, but this will undoubtedly hurt ratings.

As far as the TV situation goes (above mentioned situations, the Wed start for the WS, and the potential for a very long break between the LCS and WS), this postseason is all sorts of fucked up

We're an hour away from Padres/Rockies. A Rockies win would not only give them the wild card, but it would be 14 wins in 15 games, possibly one of the greatest stretch runs in baseball history.

Guest Smues

The headline on MLB.com reads "Once and for all, Wild Card race to be settled"

Once and for all, or maybe just for this season.