TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

WWE 24/7 October Discussion

Skimming upcoming Raw results, I see Sid vs Mankind doesn't even happen next week (Austin is listed as a substitute).

Also: Prepare for some brutal Raws (the one taped in South Africa sounds very, very boring).

If you think Raw is going to be brutal, wait until you see some of the "gems" we get with Nitro during this period.

Skimming upcoming Raw results, I see Sid vs Mankind doesn't even happen next week (Austin is listed as a substitute).

Also: Prepare for some brutal Raws (the one taped in South Africa sounds very, very boring).

Yes, but the Raw after the South Africa one was one of the best Raws ever. The one where Austin attacks Bret in the ambulance.

It was also the first Raw written by Vince Russo.

Yeah I'm pumped for the Raw's after that. I just hope they actually show the Ambulance one (complete with Owen and Bulldog discussing how Austin won't get away with it... twice - "again Owen!") but it's on a non-compete week.

Of course they have to show the ambulance show. They better anyway, it's one of the most famous and timeless Raws ever in my opinion.

Sid was right to just leave at that point. He jobbed to UT, and there was really nothing in his future but jobbing to Bret and doing jack shit. He wasn't getting the belt again.

"Does anyone remember around which time Faarooq disbands the NOD and starts fresh with D'Lo Brown?"

July-ish. Rock comes along a few weeks later and does a run-in. His first heel match is Vs. Chainz.

farooq redid the nation after king of the ring 97, since the old guys failed to help him win the title vs taker at KOTR 97 (pg 13 was kicked out way before this though)he formed his new team and then was scheduled to have a tag match vs ahmend and taker on raw, during the match ahmed turned on taker, joining the nod, the next week I think , crush brought out his new DOA stable and ahmed was injured in the ensuing brawl, thereby canceling his scheduled wwf title match vs taker at canadian stampede(vader wrestled taker instead)

ahmed returned to the nod at summerslam 97

well then, ahmed was kicked out of nod the night after summerslam 97, Im not sure rock turned heel that night but maybe the next week, so early/mid august 97 is the time of the brith of the Rock we all know and love (or hate I suppose)

watched the 3/31 mnw right now. looking back, to me (as an american I guess so I dont get the national love for bret in canada I suppose) the story appeared to be Bret had alienated everyone by his attitude and had no friends, so he played the family card to get him some backup (even vince and JR hinted there were "selfish reasons" for brets actions)

still a nice moment if you throw out the underlying hints there and just take it as bret put it, a family reunion.

hope I dont get hated for that, Im not trying to insult any canadians on the board. Just putting it as I saw it at the time as a 14 year dold mark, and now looking back at it. Besides I have always been a HUGE Bret fan. (though at the time I felt betrayed by my hero in my markish days)

No, you're right, they definitely played it up as Bret having selfish gain (and that look he gave during the group hug was priceless) but when I first watched this 10.5 years ago it was just a great feeling to see the Hart family back together. You hear JR and Vince ponder what Stu and Helen think of all of this, but I'm glad the storyline did eventually progress to Bret just flat out reuniting his family and loving Canada and non-US countries. I also didn't realize that they were called "The Hart Foundation" IMMEDIATELY after that segment, and not even by Bret, but by the announcers. Weird.

I used to have the Post-Stampede Raw on tape somewhere but I don't know where that has gone to. The promo Bret does with the Hart Foundation as they basically lay out the SummerSlam card just one day after a PPV and the super hot crowd (plus Taka vs. Great Sasuke) make it a Raw I can't wait for them to get to. Probably won't see it for 6 months though.

No, you're right, they definitely played it up as Bret having selfish gain (and that look he gave during the group hug was priceless) but when I first watched this 10.5 years ago it was just a great feeling to see the Hart family back together. You hear JR and Vince ponder what Stu and Helen think of all of this, but I'm glad the storyline did eventually progress to Bret just flat out reuniting his family and loving Canada and non-US countries. I also didn't realize that they were called "The Hart Foundation" IMMEDIATELY after that segment, and not even by Bret, but by the announcers. Weird.

I used to have the Post-Stampede Raw on tape somewhere but I don't know where that has gone to. The promo Bret does with the Hart Foundation as they basically lay out the SummerSlam card just one day after a PPV and the super hot crowd (plus Taka vs. Great Sasuke) make it a Raw I can't wait for them to get to. Probably won't see it for 6 months though.

The look on Bret's face is what nailed it for me. As for the name "The Hart Foundation", I remember many internet sites calling the group by that name before it was actually announced. I'm not sure when they get the formal name.

Nitro was very boring, but god Mean Gene was hilarious during the beatdown of Madusa by Hokuto. He was yelling about his back or something.

That St. Louis Legends tribute during Badd Blood was really nice and classy. I remember they did a similar thing during Unforgiven 98 with Mad Dog Vachon but this was really awesome with the newspaper clippings ("Fiesty Flair Seeks To Dethrone Race!"). Wonder why Vince did that?

Also, I can totally see why people might have thought Pillman's death was some sort of sick angle (a thought the Detroit wrestling hotlines in "438 Land" were talking about at the time). I'm really not sure how I would have handled it any better, but Vince saying "For those of you that joined us on the Free for All you heard the unfortunate news about Brian Pillman passing away. We will pass on more details if we get them but that will probably not happen until tomorrow night", followed by JR immediately selling the action in the ring as if Animal getting clipped in the knee was more important.

Steve Austin's shenanigans during the IC title bout were priceless. "I know you're talking trash about me, Tito!"

Apparently there should be a mini's match between the opener and Godwinns vs Headbangers but it's not there. This show was pretty one sided for the heels, eh?

Vader (basically) landing ON HIS FEET after attempting a moonsault is pretty damned amazing.

Vader just doing the moonsault was always amazing to me.

Guest bp2007

Crazy audio editing? What do you guys think?

I watched on 24/7 Online Kane vs. Triple H. It was from around the Katie Vick time. I noticed that there are patches of no play by play for maybe 10-15 seconds. I forgot I owned the DVD of the show (which ultimately meant I didn't need to watch this match again) and I watched the DVD. Jerry Lawler refers to Kane as a murderer of Katie Vick during those edits.

Do you think WWE went a little crazy with editing that out? Like it had nothing to do with Benoit!

I turned on my TV to watch the Wire at like, 1 in the morning, and out of curiousity, I looked at WWE 24/7.

And Halloween Havoc 1989 was there!

I turned on my TV to watch the Wire at like, 1 in the morning, and out of curiousity, I looked at WWE 24/7.

And Halloween Havoc 1989 was there!

Same here...

I swear... during the Luger/Pillman match... they cut to the crowd, and I'll be damned if it isn't a guy that looks like Hawaiian-Shirt Guy from the old ECW Arena. The fact the show takes place in Philadelphia further adds to it.

Also, in a spot that just shows how awesome the character was, there was a small fire during the pre-match stuff for the main event. Some of the leaves being used as decoration on the cage had caught fire, and an extra referee along with a crewman was trying to put it out. Muta goes up there and simply sprays it with the mist.

Ross' commentary is also fun to listen to. He's in overdrive mode in regards to talking about the wrestler's athletic backgrounds. He also take a nice shot at the Ultimate Warrior. In the main event, he talks about how Sting started with The Blade Runners. He then says, "I don't think Sting's partner has progressed like Sting has".

Granted, The Warrior went on to win the WWF Title about 5 months after this... but it was still a nice shot.

God I loved the Austin/Bret feud! They did such a great job conveying hate to each other.

It's just a shame that we never saw a proper conclusion to it.

Raw was good, as it usually was during 1997. It was nice seeing Bret and Owen bury the hatchet after all those years. I never bought into the whole "Bret is using them for selfish purposes." thing....that's why the whole USA vs Canada feud was so great, both camps had perfectly reasonable arguments why their side was the "good" one. Being on Bret's side, I never understood why the hell I should have cheered Shawn Michaels. In hindsight, I can see Austin's view of calling Bret on his bullshit "hero" thing because Bret was doing the same things he accused Austin of doing (attacking people in the back, using weapons and abusive language, etc...) but Shawn Michaels ? I always thought, in my markish point of view, that he had no business being involved in the Undertaker/Bret/Summerslam feud. He named himself referee just to get back into the spotlight since he was the only top player that wasn't doing anything at the time.

On a side note, I never knew there was a second verse to the Nation of Domination theme song, I always thought it was over at the "Hope you like ceilings 'cause that's all you're gonna see". Why PG-13 weren't more utilized in the WWF ? I found them to be pretty good in their match against the Dudleys from the ECW PPV earlier this month.

Seeing Jesse James singing "With my baby tonight" more than ten years later......how the hell did I ever believed him to be the real singer over Jeff Jarrett ? he was awful !

Guest flairfan

I just got Havoc 89 as well.. However, it sucks!! They EDITED the crap out of it.. The cut out ALL ring Intros and the slow motion replays after every match!!

WHY???????????? Why not show the FULL UNEDITED VERSION ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! WHAT A JOKE WWE IS!

We should really let WWE know that we dont like this kind of stuff..

It was really nice getting to see the in between match interviews, but that was the only good thing..

I will take my Turner VHS Tape version over this.

I'm getting real close to cancelling my cable and getting Direct TV.

I just got Havoc 89 as well.. However, it sucks!! They EDITED the crap out of it.. The cut out ALL ring Intros and the slow motion replays after every match!!

WHY???????????? Why not show the FULL UNEDITED VERSION ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! WHAT A JOKE WWE IS!

It was really nice getting to see the in between match interviews, but that was the only good thing..

They can't show the entrances unless they heavily edit them. All of the wrestlers came out to commercial music, and the WWE is not going to shell out the money to the artists to use those songs.

I noticed more than once on the current Nitro that they show the winner walking out through the Nitro set in slow motion after the match... but that entrance was never televised. Not sure if that was how it originally aired or if WWE is now just cutting entrances right out where possible instead of dubbing music over. Reading Nitro results, there is supposed to be a 3rd women's match (right after a naturally cut Benoit match) but I don't recall seeing that. And I previously mentioned the missing Minis match from Badd Blood 97 (which is apparently beyond awful anyway).

Strange going ons. I still love the channel though.

what they need to cut are those god awful AAA matches going on on Raw. They won't, though, because they usually feature Sunny doing something stupid. Not that I'm complaining, she was dynamite back then.

So you'll take the version that cuts out full matches over the version that cuts out mere entrances?

WWE has to make some concessions on these shows, whether it regards current events, royalties, or what not. In this case, it amounted to a 140 minute show with all the matches intact. That's fine with me. As long as the important stuff stays in, the matches and angles. If you want full, pure shows as they happened at the time, find a tape collector.

And really, the complaints about minor, trivial stuff becomes tiresome. As do non-update posts.

I really don't see the big deal. As long as the show has the original commentary (which they usually do), it's all good.

Download the real Halloween Havoc from PWTorrents. Since you've already paid for it on 24/7 and were not given the full show, there should be no morality questions about doing so.

Noticeable things:

The "spooky" awesome theme music for Halloween Havoc '89 is replaced in the beginning and some generic crap is thrown in, making the feel of the event go from cool to corny.

The crowd immediately craps on the Rountda/Z-Man match. Z-Man gets some cheers, starts celebrating, and the rest of the crowd shuts down the marks by boo-ing him. Interesting note from JR, it was the "female fans" that gave him tyhe "Z-Man" name. Adding more to my dislike of Zenk. This match sucks and the crowd lets out a giant "BOR-ING" chant as JR describes the match offense as "very basic".

Crowd now loves Rotunda for battering Z-Man.

Actually, the home video version of Havoc '89, unlike other events with missing undercard matches, has all the matches. Just some clip-jobs.

The flip side of this is with the ECW PPVs, distributed by Pioneer, also cut out entrances to save on music dubbing. When 24/7 shows these shows, it's the first time I've ever seen them "complete".

Download the real Halloween Havoc from PWTorrents. Since you've already paid for it on 24/7 and were not given the full show, there should be no morality questions about doing so.

Noticeable things:

The "spooky" awesome theme music for Halloween Havoc '89 is replaced in the beginning and some generic crap is thrown in, making the feel of the event go from cool to corny.

The crowd immediately craps on the Rountda/Z-Man match. Z-Man gets some cheers, starts celebrating, and the rest of the crowd shuts down the marks by boo-ing him. Interesting note from JR, it was the "female fans" that gave him tyhe "Z-Man" name. Adding more to my dislike of Zenk. This match sucks and the crowd lets out a giant "BOR-ING" chant as JR describes the match offense as "very basic".

Crowd now loves Rotunda for battering Z-Man.

Actually, the home video version of Havoc '89, unlike other events with missing undercard matches, has all the matches. Just some clip-jobs.

Philly also crapped on Rotunda with a nice "Syracuse Sucks" chant.