TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

WWE 24/7 October Discussion

Man, the Dynamic Dudes blow like EVERY MOVE.

So does Stan Lane in the 6-man. Watch the end of the match and see the awesomeness that is Lane's "hot tag" where everything gets botched.

Those interviews with Solie and Cruise were not on the Turner Home Video Edition. THANK YOU, VINCE. Scott Steiner's attempt at a promo is hilarious.

I read once that Turner home video actually clipped a few minutes from the first Flair/Steamboat match. That is an inexcusable disgrace.

First off, let me heavily recommend NWA World Championship Wrestling for December 21st, 1985. It features two big-time matches (rare for that era) with Magnum defending the U.S. title against Ole Anderson and Ric Flair defending the World title against Ron Garvin. Both are really good matches (going about twenty minutes) and are stiff as hell. The NWA produced a great show to end 1985.

I'm looking forward to watching Raw with Bret's reunion with Owen and Bulldog. That's the only known time that Bret faces The Rock too. I can't wait for the Raw featuring the street fight with Austin and Bret. I didn't get a chance to tape that the first time and it is a memorable (albeit not as remembered) Raw moment. There was no decision but Austin beat the living crap out of Bret. I've always said that I liked 1997 Austin better than 1998 Austin. Both versions were great but 97 Austin was an out-and-out heel that the fans cheered. He didn't pander to them either with the beer and everything. 1997 was a damn good year creatively for the WWF.

Guest flairfan
I just got Havoc 89 as well.. However, it sucks!! They EDITED the crap out of it.. The cut out ALL ring Intros and the slow motion replays after every match!!

WHY???????????? Why not show the FULL UNEDITED VERSION ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! WHAT A JOKE WWE IS!

We should really let WWE know that we dont like this kind of stuff..

It was really nice getting to see the in between match interviews, but that was the only good thing..

I will take my Turner VHS Tape version over this.

I'm getting real close to cancelling my cable and getting Direct TV.

So you'll take the version that cuts out full matches over the version that cuts out mere entrances?

WWE has to make some concessions on these shows, whether it regards current events, royalties, or what not. In this case, it amounted to a 140 minute show with all the matches intact. That's fine with me. As long as the important stuff stays in, the matches and angles. If you want full, pure shows as they happened at the time, find a tape collector.

And really, the complaints about minor, trivial stuff becomes tiresome. As do non-update posts.

I think not having ring entraces are major. The ring entrace sets the whole tone for the match. They could have had at least subsituted the music with something else..

And you are the one that is tiresome! So stick it...I can can talk about it if I want to...!

The slow motion replay at the end of each match. WHY was that cut? No need for it. Its just a unnecessary cut job by WWE...

I will stick with my Turner Home Video on this one.

Doom came out to Strut by Bob Seger.. The Steiners came out to Welcome to The Jungle...man was that awesome....and IMPORTANT..

As a matter of FACT all the entraces where awesome. It took away from the PPV not having them in there..IMHO...

However, it was NICE seeing the between match interviews in full....

Doom came out to Strut by Bob Seger.. The Steiners came out to Welcome to The Jungle...man was that awesome....and IMPORTANT..

As a matter of FACT all the entraces where awesome. It took away from the PPV not having them in there..IMHO...

When the WWE has replaced the commercial music WCW/NWA used in the past, it has come across as incredibly bad. They have to replace Gary Michael Capetta's announcing due to the music and commentary being on the same audio track. As a result, it just sounds horrible.

The NWA show this time around is the best non-special wrestling show (no Clash of the Champions, SNME) from the 80's that I have EVER, EVER seen. It's incredible. I could only imagine those two exact matches taking place in a full arena, rather than a TV studio. The crowd would have been electric.

The constant apperance of the "WWE 24/7 FF" bumper gets really tiresome in Havoc '89. Whatever is happening on screen comes to a dead stop, completely disrupting the flow of the show.

Speaking of that "FF" bumper, did anyone ever figure out why the When Worlds Collide PPV had the "FF" bumper in the middle of the hair vs mask match (Eddie/Art Barr vs I forget who)?

Since WWE tends to edit any kind of licensed music, I was kind of surprised they left out a small portion of "Highway to Hell" intact in the ECW show for the Dudleys (lawsuit !)

There will be more Roundtable shows airing soon, with the panel being Ross, Hayes, Foley, Patterson and Tazz. Don't know what the topics will be time this but it doesn't matter to me since it's not like I can see them anyway.

Since WWE tends to edit any kind of licensed music, I was kind of surprised they left out a small portion of "Highway to Hell" intact in the ECW show for the Dudleys (lawsuit !)

There will be more Roundtable shows airing soon, with the panel being Ross, Hayes, Foley, Patterson and Tazz. Don't know what the topics will be time this but it doesn't matter to me since it's not like I can see them anyway.

They probably left "Highway to Hell" in since they had a previous deal with AC/DC for Summerslam 98.

I think it was just an oversight. A rather large one, but it happens, I guess (a previous episode forgot to edit out Jesus Christ Superstar).

Speaking of editing oversights, I always love looking for them forgetting to edit out "WWF". The current MNW episode forgot to change the "WWF IC Champ" graphic for Rocky.

I can't imagine sitting through that atrocious first hour of WCW 12/28 back in 1985.

Black Bart, Rocky King, and Sam Houston having long competitive matches = No Thank You

I grew up on full hours of squash matches. Raw and Nitro spoiled modern fans.

4 minutes isn't "long." Well, I guess it is long on Raw now, so not many people can sit through anything longer than 10 minutes. Matches not being long enough is why I don't watch Raw or Smackdown anymore.

Guest sandwich
I just got Havoc 89 as well.. However, it sucks!! They EDITED the crap out of it.. The cut out ALL ring Intros and the slow motion replays after every match!!

WHY???????????? Why not show the FULL UNEDITED VERSION ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! WHAT A JOKE WWE IS!

We should really let WWE know that we dont like this kind of stuff..

It was really nice getting to see the in between match interviews, but that was the only good thing..

I will take my Turner VHS Tape version over this.

I'm getting real close to cancelling my cable and getting Direct TV.

So you'll take the version that cuts out full matches over the version that cuts out mere entrances?

WWE has to make some concessions on these shows, whether it regards current events, royalties, or what not. In this case, it amounted to a 140 minute show with all the matches intact. That's fine with me. As long as the important stuff stays in, the matches and angles. If you want full, pure shows as they happened at the time, find a tape collector.

And really, the complaints about minor, trivial stuff becomes tiresome. As do non-update posts.

I think not having ring entraces are major. The ring entrace sets the whole tone for the match. They could have had at least subsituted the music with something else..

And you are the one that is tiresome! So stick it...I can can talk about it if I want to...!

The slow motion replay at the end of each match. WHY was that cut? No need for it. Its just a unnecessary cut job by WWE...

I will stick with my Turner Home Video on this one.

I've heard in can cost up to the mid 5 figures to pay off the rights for a song, especially to a big band like Guns N' Roses so if you want to raise the money so you can see 2 minutes of restored footage, then that's your perogative, but I can see why the WWE would beg to differ. I know it costs like 50k to use Michael Buffer's voice.

"modern fans."

I've been watching since 1989, and while not everything on TV was great, the squash matches didn't involve the likes of Black Bart, Sam Houston, and Rocky King.

In some cases it was tough to tell who the jobber was.

That was my issue, not the squash matches. There was nothing better in the day than hours of All-American Wrestling, Superstars, Challenge, Power Hour, Main Event, or Worldwide.

But they'd keep the BAD a lot shorter.

I watched the WWF around that point and Sam Houston was involved in a lot of those squash matches. I don't think people fully grasp what a huge shock to the system Raw was when it debuted in Jan. 1993. Long, main event type matches on free TV. That was like heaven for wrestling fans.

The only show I had access to growing up was Superstars and we would get only one three-minutes segment of Raw during the show, so I grew up on squash matches during the mid-90-'s. Even I find that there's some boring squashes in the old NWA shows. Some of them can be pretty good, like Tully's, but I'll take a 20-second Magnum T.A squash with the belly-to-belly over a Ron Bass (for example) squash any day of the week. What makes some squashes more horrible is when David Crocket is the only commentator ( "Look at him........picks him up.......and slams him to the mat....look at him.......arm bar......look at him...")

Before Bischoff made him a total shill during the MNW era where everything was the greatest thing ever, Tony Schiavone was a pretty good announcer.

Guest krash9924

These old WCW/NWA shows remind me how great muta used to be. The man was amazing. Did him and Savage ever meet in the ring? Seems like that would have been awesome.

Guest flairfan

welp, I got my updates right on time this week. Not much new stuff either. I guess I will watch the Phily show and TNT tonight...

Sunflower hasnt updated their list in sometime, would like to see details of whats coming....

I just realized yesterday (looking at some dates for October programming as expiring on the 6th) that even though there is no new content until late Wednesday next week, it goes back to late Tuesday right after. That's cool.

What on Earth is "Turkey Day Turmoil"?

Hooray, they're skipping the 4/14/97 MNW (which looked awful) but NOT skipping 4/21 (the Austin / Bret street fight angle). Good call.

Edit: My first assumption was TDT was some AWA show... and according to google I was right.

AWA Turkey Day Turmoil:

Superstar Billy Graham vs. Wilbur Snyder.

Hulk Hogan vs. Jesse Ventura.

AWA World Tag Team Champions The Road Warriors vs. The High Flyers.

AWA World Champion Nick Bockwinkle vs Verne Gagne

Battle Royal: Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Nick Bockwinkle, Adrian Adonis, Ken Patera, Baron Von Raschke, Ray Stevens, Jerry Blackwell, Bobby Duncum, Larry Hennig, Bobby Heenan, Sgt. Jacques Goulet, Brad Rheingans, Otto Wanz, Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie, Jim Brunzell, Greg Gagne & Buck Zumhoffe.

The 1990 MSG show has a few things that sound interesting; a 20 minute Rockers vs Power and Glory match and Piper vs Mr. Perfect. I'm sure Dusty and Duggan vs. Slaughter and Adnan is awful but it could be fun nostalgia.

Could it be possible that the Turkey Day Turmoil is the whole thing with the turkey on a pole match from the dying days of the AWA?

That's what actually made me think it was an AWA show before googling "Turkey Day Turmoil Wrestling".