TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/2 - 10/7

With the baseball regular season over and ESPN no longer having postseason rights we now get games Tuesday thru Sunday starting this week. Don't get too excited as those Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday games are typically just completely random non-BCS conference match-ups. Lots of big games this week, even with Florida/LSU and especially Oklahoma/Texas losing some of their cache. Like I mentioned last week Oklahoma/Texas is a regional 3:30/12:30 game this year on ABC and ESPN's new deal with the Big XII and Pac-10 doesn't give them the option to use their games as reverse mirror games on ESPN. So if you don't get Oklahoma/Texas you will be stuck with the other two God awful games. Speaking of which, pity all of us that get suck with Notre Dame/UCLA as the 8:00/5:00 game.

The Marshall/Memphis game will still be played tommorrow even though one of Memphis' players was shot and killed last night.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

TUESDAY

Marshall at Memphis, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

Rice at Southern Miss, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

#8 Kentucky at #11 South Carolina, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

Utah at Louisville, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

#5 Wisconsin at Illinois, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Miami at North Carolina, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Kansas at #24 Kansas State, Noon/9:00 AM, FSN

#12 Georgia at Tennessee, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

Iowa at Penn State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN2*

N.C. State at Florida State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN2*

#10 Oklahoma vs. #19 Texas, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#18 Arizona State at Washington State, 4:00/1:00 PM, FSN

#15 Virginia Tech at #22 Clemson, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN

Stanford at #2 USC, 7:00/4:00 PM, Versus

Oklahoma State at Texas A&M, 7:30/4:30 PM, FSN

#9 Florida at #1 LSU, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBS

#4 Ohio State at #23 Purdue, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

Notre Dame at UCLA, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

#20 Cincinnati at #21 Rutgers, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

#25 Nebraska at #17 Missouri, 9:15/6:15 PM, ESPN

SUNDAY

New Mexico State at Boise State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Digital Cable/Satellite/Gameplan Schedule

SATURDAY

Bowling Green at #7 Boston College, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPNU

Northwestern at Michigan State, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Minnesota at Indiana, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Eastern Michigan at Michigan, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Georgia Tech at Maryland, Noon/9:00 AM, LFS*/GP

#13 West Virginia at Syracuse, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Central Michigan at Ball State, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Vanderbilt at Auburn, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, LFS*/GP

TCU at Wyoming, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

#6 South Florida at Florida Atlantic, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPNU

Fresno State at Nevada, 4:00/1:00 PM, GP

Idaho at San Jose State, 4:00/1:00 PM, GP

San Diego State at Colorado State, 5:30/2:30 PM, Mtn.

Tulane at Army, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPNU

North Texas at Louisiana-Lafayette, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

UCF at East Carolina, 7:30/4:30 PM, CSTV

UNLV at Air Force, 9:00/6:00 PM, Mtn.

All Other Div I-A Games

SATURDAY

Wake Forest at Duke

Northern Illinois at Temple

Ohio at Buffalo

Louisiana Tech at Mississippi

UAB at Mississippi State

Miami of Ohio at Kent State

Houston at Alabama

Arizona at Oregon State

Liberty at Toledo

Chattanooga at Arkansas

Troy at FIU

Iowa State at Texas Tech

Virginia at Middle Tennessee State

Arkansas State at Louisiana-Monroe

Colorado at Baylor

Akron at Western Michigan

Tulsa at UTEP

Utah State at #16 Hawaii

Spotlight FCS Matchups (Note: Any rankings are from my Self-FCS Rankings post in last week's thread). Note: Southern did get ranked in the real FCS Poll at 25 but San Diego and Drake did not... ugh.

Games Ranked By Records

#10 Youngstown State (4-1) vs. #7 Southern Illinois (5-0)

Alabama A&M (4-1) vs. #24 Southern (5-0)

Butler (4-1) vs. #25 Drake (4-1)

#8 Wofford (4-1) vs. Citadel (3-1)

Eastern Washington (3-1) vs. #1 Montana (4-0)

Morehead State (3-1) vs. Davidson (3-1)

#23 San Diego (4-0) vs. Valparaiso (3-2)

Austin Peay (3-2) vs. Tennessee Tech (4-1)

Wagner (3-1) vs. Robert Morris (3-2)

Lehigh (3-1) vs. Fordham (3-2)

#11 Delaware (5-0) vs. #13 New Hampshire (2-2)

Alabama State (4-1) vs. Jackson State (2-2)

SC State (2-2) vs. Norfolk State (3-1)

New Hampshire vs Delaware is going to be one fun game. Hopefully Delaware keeps it rolling cause offensively, I think they have the team to do some damage. Defense is slowly coming around and I think it'll be ready for a run come tournament time.

And I really hope my ABC doesn't give me the ND game. I'm really tired of watching the Irish line not block and then when they do block to watch Clausen throw the ball to the wrong team. The first couple of games it was fun, but now it's become really boring to watch.

Lastly, is Hawaii EVER going to get on national television? You'd think by now they would have gotten one game.

Lastly, is Hawaii EVER going to get on national television? You'd think by now they would have gotten one game.

They're on ESPN next Friday at San Jose State, and on ESPN2 November 23 hosting Boise State.

New Hampshire vs Delaware is going to be one fun game. Hopefully Delaware keeps it rolling cause offensively, I think they have the team to do some damage. Defense is slowly coming around and I think it'll be ready for a run come tournament time.

And I really hope my ABC doesn't give me the ND game. I'm really tired of watching the Irish line not block and then when they do block to watch Clausen throw the ball to the wrong team. The first couple of games it was fun, but now it's become really boring to watch.

Yes, let's put Hawaii/Charleston Southern in the primetime slot on ABC!

Seriously, when Idaho's the 2nd toughest game you've played all season, you can't really complain about not being on TV more. This week the schedule actually gets easier as they take on 0-5 Utah State who is in the running for being the worst team in all of FBS. Hawaii doesn't play anyone with a pulse for over a month yet when they finally take on Fresno State at home on November 10th.

I meant ESPN2 or something. I do consider the ESPN group national television. No way would I suggest Hawaii on ABC, CBS or one of the others without being in a BCS bowl game.

I do think that at the very least they could air Hawaii games on ESPNU but I guess ESPN doesn't feel the need to send a team out there for a game of no value outside of the QB.

Guest Smues

I don't know why Alaska gets the Purdue game unlike the rest of the west side of country, but I'll take it.

Yes, let's put Hawaii/Charleston Southern in the primetime slot on ABC!

Seriously, when Idaho's the 2nd toughest game you've played all season, you can't really complain about not being on TV more. This week the schedule actually gets easier as they take on 0-5 Utah State who is in the running for being the worst team in all of FBS. Hawaii doesn't play anyone with a pulse for over a month yet when they finally take on Fresno State at home on November 10th.

No one in the state media is complaining about "respect" or national coverage - trust me on that one.

The real reason for Hawai'i not being on ESPN's affiliates is the fight they're having with UH and their local affiliate (KFVE) over how games should be broadcast. As you may know, they have a multi-year contract with KFVE to air games on a pay-per-view basis to the state, eseentially blacking them out across the nation. But when ESPN takes any games away for national coverage, KFVE can not recoup the costs they did pay on that PPV contract.

Well it ended up being 44-35. U of L apparently is good at making it just close enough to stay tuned, but still losing. Steve Kragthorpe should try to get on the staff of the Chargers, Norv Turner would love this guy. They can compare notes on how to wreck a great team in a matter of games.

Incidentally why not kick it long with 3:30 to play? It would beat having Utah kick a game clinching FG.

Besides, the Cards are hardly frauds. The suckage has been well established at this point. I'm honestly trying to figure out how U of L held NC St. to just 10. Are they THAT bad?

UNC 20, Miami 0. Seeing UNC up 20 on anyone is wild, Miami in particular.

Illinois looks pretty good today as well, and Maryland is doing some damage to a very confusing Georgia Tech team. Chris Turner just executed one of the best play-action fakes I've ever seen for 40 yards to Heyward-Bey.

UNC will be ranked in 2009.

I like what Butch Davis is doing there.

And this is great to watch. The year I went to UNC was the year they upset Miami when Miami was still good. This beating is bringing back good memories.

graagh

Ron Prince squanders away any goodwill from last week's win by losing to fuckin Mangina for the second straight year

We should just give Dallas / Fort Worth to fuckin Oklahoma. Seriously.. there's never any real support for UT at the Cotton Bowl...

Oh boy, FSU/NC State instead of the Red River Shootout for me! Thankfully there's Tennessee/Georgia anyway.

It could be worse...

You could have Iowa/Penn State :angry:

EDIT: Well FSU/NC St. is on ESPN 2 so I get to see both games that aren't Oklahoma/Texas...lucky me

Towson beat 17 Richmond 23-21 for the first "upset" of the FCS weekend.

13 New Hampshire narrowly beat out 11 Delaware 35-30... once again making me wonder where the hell to slot New Hampshire despite their up and down season record wise.

In other FCS Spotlight games (earlier post in this thread)

Fordham beat Lehigh 28-18.

Morehead State beat Davidson 49-21.

Wagner beat Robert Morris 20-13.

So much for the Delaware defense coming around. I guess the lousy opponents were what was making the defense look mildly competent. I'd say New Hempshire is a top 10 team that is just extremely inconsistent. They should be one of the more frightening teams if they get into the playoffs. They easily have the type of team that can run the table and take the title.

I really wish the UD coaching staff could get some solid defensive players into the school with the offensive players they have been able to get to come here. It just seems like kids want to come play for the Hens just to score lots of points but no one wants to come here to prevent other teams from doing it.

I miss Tubby.

Mike Hart became Michigan's all-time leading rusher today, passing Anthony Thomas.

Good for him, I hope he gets his due at the end of the year cuz he's had such a great career. Maybe if UM keeps winning, he can at least get some Heisman consideration.

28-21 OU right now.

This game has been pretty interesting.. what with some iffy calls and a blatant cheap shot from OU on Colt McCoy that got no-called.

It's looking like whoever has the ball last might be the team that wins.