TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

It's not as if it's his claim to fame. The man was a tremendous broadcaster that was dearly beloved by a large community. That's what he should be remembered for (and will), not some ultimately meaningless stat/trivia question.

A's traded Marco Scutaro to the Blue Jays for a couple of nothing minor league pitchers. His "clutchiness" shall be missed but he was arb eligible and they have cheaper options who can fill the back up utility infielder spot.

At least they've got a decent player now who can take some ABs from McDonald at short and can fill in for Glaus when he gets hurt eventually.

It appears that the Mets and Luis Castillo have agreed to a four year deal worth twenty-five million.

http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=dis...amp;format=html

I know the link's in Spanish - the summary's at MLB Trade Rumors. If it's true, that's not a bad deal. Not crazy about the length, but I can certainly live with 6.25 million a year.

.......im still pist at Terry Ryan for trading Luis

Why? He was an impending free agent and they had a capable prospect who just happens to play second base with the exact same skill set(Alexi Casilla). If that's not when you trade a player, I don't know when you do.

Rosenthal's in on it too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7461986

Considering that the other options appeared to be Eckstein, Iguchi, or trading arms for Hudson, I don't mind the signing at all. If I understand the situation correctly, much of the damage to Castillo's knees occurred due to Minnesota's Astroturf, so hopefully health won't be as much of an issue going forward.

I'm with devo. 4 years might be a bit much, but how often did we see a double steal with Reyes and Castillo this year? Plus, he played pretty well defensively. I'm totally ok with it.

Interesting trade. I thought the White Sox were going with Uribe. Garland is a workhouse.

If by interesting you mean "Kenny Williams is a really bad GM and makes trades that make his team worse." I don't see the point in trading a 28-year-old starter who's a lock to throw 200 innings every year for a 33-year-old SS who can't really hit or field.

This opens up a lot of possibilities for the Angels. They have an extra starter now that could be used as part of a trade for Miguel Tejada or Miguel Cabrera. Also opens a spot for Brandon Wood if he can handle the SS position defensively.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face
Interesting trade. I thought the White Sox were going with Uribe. Garland is a workhouse.

If by interesting you mean "Kenny Williams is a really bad GM and makes trades that make his team worse."

If so, then I concur! This might be Kenny's most interesting trade yet! I fear that this signals the end of Juan Uribe, though. I guess even Kenny Williams stopped believing. :(

I never thought Jon Garland was that good, really. He racks up wins, but he's not really a dominant pitcher.

Real interesting trade from both sides.

Chicago White Sox: Cabrera isn't a great player, but he is a solid performer. The Sox really hurt for quality position players last year, and Cabrera represents a vast improvement over Juan Uribe. And Cheech, where do you get that "can't really field" stuff? Even the Fielding Bible voters had him in the top half of MLB shortstops. The question is whether they think Gavin Floyd can get the job done as the fifth starter or if they have another player to bring in. Charlie Haegar, Lance Broadway and Gio Gonzalez are around, so they have options.

Los Angeles Angels: Real bold move to trade a popular, gold glove shortstop. Obviously they have someone in mind for shortstop, be it Maicer Izturis, Erick Aybar, Brandon Wood or Chone Figgins. They have so many options though that again this makes sense. This gives them a solid top five, and perhaps makes Ervin Santana available.

This has been a fantastic offseason for the trade market.

The Sox really hurt for quality position players last year, and Cabrera represents a vast improvement over Juan Uribe. And Cheech, where do you get that "can't really field" stuff? Even the Fielding Bible voters had him in the top half of MLB shortstops.

That was overly harsh on my part. He's somewhere in the middle of the pack as a fielder. It was an overreaction mostly because I have to constantly hear from Boston fans about how we let a Gold Glove SS go for Edgar Renteria. Cabrera's defense is overrated.