TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

I hope the Red Sox get him.

You would like the Red Sox, your hated rivals, to get the best pitcher in baseball and secure an unbelievabale pitching rotation for the next five years or so? That makes a lot of sense.

Santana/Beckett/Matsuzaka/Schilling/Buchholz

Look at that for a minute and think about your statement again.

I hope the Red Sox get him.

You would like the Red Sox, your hated rivals, to get the best pitcher in baseball and secure an unbelievabale pitching rotation for the next five years or so? That makes a lot of sense.

Santana/Beckett/Matsuzaka/Schilling/Buchholz

Look at that for a minute and think about your statement again.

CW isn't the only Yankees fan who thinks that way. I don't know WHY exactly they think adding Santana to the Red Sox is a good move, but it's a lot more common than one might imagine. I hope they get their wish and the Red Sox win another title or two in the next couple of years (since the Mets are moving backwards) while they get to think about what might have been.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
They probably look at what happened with the A-Rod trade and think the Red Sox will "suffer" with Santana as the Yankees have "suffered" with A-Rod.

Yeah. Unlucky bastards with the best hitter in baseball on their team. Good thing they didn't re-sign him when he got out of his contract.

Wait, wait?

I would rather keep both Ellsbury and Buchholz honestly. Trade anyone else but those two I don't care.

I wonder how Beckett would feel making 15 Million per year less than Santana for the next couple years. Not that thingsw like that should ever factor into building a team. I would love Santana here but I would honestly like to see the young guys that have shown at least some ability to perform at a high level in the Majors grow on this team.

It doesn't always have to be all about getting the best players in the league.

I have my doubts when it comes to the Red Sox and Johan Santana. People forget that Fenway Park is not a particularly good ballpark for left handed pitchers. It's been 50 years since the Sox really had a great left handed pitcher, and the only lefties to win 50+ with the Sox since were Bill Lee and Bruce Hurst.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I have my doubts when it comes to the Red Sox and Johan Santana. People forget that Fenway Park is not a particularly good ballpark for left handed pitchers. It's been 50 years since the Sox really had a great left handed pitcher, and the only lefties to win 50+ with the Sox since were Bill Lee and Bruce Hurst.

I guess they'd like to get rid of Jon Lester then?

I guess they'd like to get rid of Jon Lester then?

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't let him hold up a big trade.

I think you have a decent point in regards to left handed pitchers succeeding in Fenway. Then again, this is Johan Santana. I think we have to throw out preconceived notions when analyzing the best pitcher of this generation.

Also, according to most reports, he'd be replacing Lester, a left hander, in the rotation.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

From Rotoworld.com:

Yankees vice president Hank Steinbrenner confirmed that he plans to pull his team's offer for Johan Santana on Monday.

Just when it looked like the Yankees might have gotten him muzzled. "I think our offer is the best offer," Steinbrenner said. "We have the best young pitchers in the game, even better than Boston." The Yankees are believed to be offering Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and a prospect for Santana. Steinbrenner indicated that the third player isn't what's holding up the deal. "That's erroneous," he said. "I don't think that will be the sticking point."

Provided he's telling the truth, I suspect the sticking point is a negotiating window and the contract extension that New York would obviously want to sign him to.

Bedard last year had a 3.17 ERA along with just 141 hits in 182 innings with as a lefty with a shortstop in quotation marks.

Just out of curiosity, Miguel Tejada missed a month due to injury. During that time, Bedard went 4-0 with a 2.08 ERA. Now that could be a statistical anomaly. But if you put a real shortstop behind him, look out.

They should definitely pull Hughes out of the deal now. I know Pettitte isn't better than Santana but he'll still give you innings. I rather just look elsewhere for another innings eater to help the big three. Someone like AJ Burnett or Joe Blanton. Well Burnett does get hurt but he's nice. Same thing with Ben Sheets who the Red Sox are going after.

The Vets' committee elects five to the Hall. Former Commissioner Bowie Kuhn, Walter O'Malley, Barney Dreyfuss (Pirates' owner), and managers Billy Southworth and Dick Williams. Dreyfuss owned the Pirates from 1900-32, he owned the Louisville Colonels until the league contracted after the 1899 season. Southworth managed the St. Louis Cardinals to three pennants and the Boston Braves to a pennant during the 1940s. Williams managed the "Impossible Dream" Red Sox of 1967, the Oakland A's to World Titles in 1972-73, and the San Diego Padres to their first pennant in 1984.

UPDATE, 12-3-07 at 8:35am: I knew the Red Sox belonged in the mix for Bedard. Jayson Stark confirms their interest, and adds a new one in the Phillies. Stark also verifies that the Orioles want more for Bedard than the Twins want for Santana - as in four top youngsters. Stark's source thinks the Orioles will hang onto Bedard.

FROM 12-2-07 at 11:30pm:

According to Dave Sheinin and Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post, Erik Bedard has informed the Orioles that he has no interest in signing an extension. He's under Baltimore's control through the 2009 season.

The authors indicate that Bedard would cost half the talent Johan Santana will. I don't agree with that assertion - two years of a cheap Bedard is easily worth more than one of Santana, without question. If anything, Bedard should require more talent than Santana to pry loose.

According to Jeff Zrebiec, six teams have inquired on Bedard so far: the Yankees, Mets, Mariners, Angels, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks. The Mets reportedly made an offer of Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman, and Philip Humber to the Orioles before trading Milledge to Washington, according to the Roger Rubin of the Daily News. A source of Rubin's believes replacing Milledge with Carlos Gomez or even Ryan Church would represent a superior offer. And to further the speculation, I think the Mets would have to replace Humber with Mike Pelfrey to really get the Orioles thinking. I repeat: Erik Bedard is worth more than Johan Santana.

Heres the hitch on the "Bedard is worth more than Santana" opinion..Bedard has missed significant time 2 of the last 3 years due to injuries whereas Im pretty sure Santana didnt miss any time. If some team wants to pony up more for Bedard than Santana just because Bedard is signed for 2 years vs Santana's 1 year, then Im all for it but I would think his injury proneness would deter those big offers.

Also, if they make the Bedard trade and the Tejada trade, I could also see them dealing Mora and Hernandez and hopefully find a dumb team adequate suitor to take Gibbons and Payton. That should free up enough money that I could see them going after Rowand or Jones for CF at least and maybe a pitcher

The team will look drastically different if that happens with Roberts and Markakis as the only everyday starters from last year and Guthrie as the only regular Starter in the Rotation (if Cabrera goes to the bullpen as I predict), though they should have Adam Loewen and Garrett Olson who missed most of last year due to injuries.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

They should definitely pull Hughes out of the deal now. I know Pettitte isn't better than Santana but he'll still give you innings. I rather just look elsewhere for another innings eater to help the big three. Someone like AJ Burnett or Joe Blanton. Well Burnett does get hurt but he's nice. Same thing with Ben Sheets who the Red Sox are going after.

Isn't Burnett making like $11 million per year? And why would the Blue Jays trade him to the Yankees?

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
UPDATE, 12-3-07 at 8:35am: I knew the Red Sox belonged in the mix for Bedard. Jayson Stark confirms their interest, and adds a new one in the Phillies. Stark also verifies that the Orioles want more for Bedard than the Twins want for Santana - as in four top youngsters. Stark's source thinks the Orioles will hang onto Bedard.

FROM 12-2-07 at 11:30pm:

According to Dave Sheinin and Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post, Erik Bedard has informed the Orioles that he has no interest in signing an extension. He's under Baltimore's control through the 2009 season.

The authors indicate that Bedard would cost half the talent Johan Santana will. I don't agree with that assertion - two years of a cheap Bedard is easily worth more than one of Santana, without question. If anything, Bedard should require more talent than Santana to pry loose.

According to Jeff Zrebiec, six teams have inquired on Bedard so far: the Yankees, Mets, Mariners, Angels, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks. The Mets reportedly made an offer of Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman, and Philip Humber to the Orioles before trading Milledge to Washington, according to the Roger Rubin of the Daily News. A source of Rubin's believes replacing Milledge with Carlos Gomez or even Ryan Church would represent a superior offer. And to further the speculation, I think the Mets would have to replace Humber with Mike Pelfrey to really get the Orioles thinking. I repeat: Erik Bedard is worth more than Johan Santana.

Heres the hitch on the "Bedard is worth more than Santana" opinion..Bedard has missed significant time 2 of the last 3 years due to injuries whereas Im pretty sure Santana didnt miss any time. If some team wants to pony up more for Bedard than Santana just because Bedard is signed for 2 years vs Santana's 1 year, then Im all for it but I would think his injury proneness would deter those big offers.

Also, if they make the Bedard trade and the Tejada trade, I could also see them dealing Mora and Hernandez and hopefully find a dumb team adequate suitor to take Gibbons and Payton. That should free up enough money that I could see them going after Rowand or Jones for CF at least and maybe a pitcher

The team will look drastically different if that happens with Roberts and Markakis as the only everyday starters from last year and Guthrie as the only regular Starter in the Rotation (if Cabrera goes to the bullpen as I predict), though they should have Adam Loewen and Garrett Olson who missed most of last year due to injuries.

The Cubs are talking about trying to get Brian Roberts. Just thought you might want to know.

Isn't Burnett making like $11 million per year? And why would the Blue Jays trade him to the Yankees?

They could use another offensive threat. Hideki Matsui for AJ Burnett is a fair trade.

The Blue Jays already traded Clemens to the Yankees before.

Why not? Burnett turns 31 in January, has once made 30 starts in a season, and his career high in wins is 12. And oh yes, his best season as dictated by ERA+ would rank tied for 170th in this decade

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

They could use another offensive threat. Hideki Matsui for AJ Burnett is a fair trade.

The Blue Jays already traded Clemens to the Yankees before.

Heh, what a typical crap Yankee fan trade. (The trade is crap, not you.)

Matsui is 33 years old and would be under Toronto's control until 2009. He is a left fielder, which means he would block Adam Lind yet again, and put both Reed Johnson and Matt Stairs out of work.

A.J. Burnett is 30 years old and would be under the Yankees' control until 2010 or 2011. He is a starting pitcher.

Why would Toronto make this trade?

(Hint: They wouldn't.)

Change Matsui to a younger player that has a pretty bright future, and then we're talking. I don't see why Toronto would swap 30-somethings, especially when they already have a glut of outfielders.

Burnett isn't always healthy. Hell he wasn't even healthy all of last year. They both make the same amount of money, Matsui is better than both Lind and Johnson, and Stairs doesn't even play everyday.

Why the hell would we trade a high end prospect for a guy making nearly 30 million the next 2 years and won't make 30 starts a year?

EDIT: BTW, The White Sox just got Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter.

The O's should trade Roberts, honestly. He's 30 years old already and could bring some value back in return. How old will he be the next time the O's field a competitive team?

31? (2009?)

I saw at OH that the Cubs were interested in Roberts and Markakis but I dont get why theyd be interested in Roberts. They have Derosa, Fontenot (former Oriole!) and Theriot who can all play 2B. Roberts isn't that much more of an upgrade over either of them in my opinion.

Markakis is virtually untouchable due to the lack of OF Depth in the organization and the fact he's of greek ancestry.

Gammons is saying that a Cabrera deal to the Angels would be Howie Kendrick, Jeff Mathis, either Nick Adenhart/Ervin Santana and another prospect.

Marlins fans are, in a word, livid. I think this is going to make a lot of people very unhappy if it goes through. Myself included.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Elijah Dukes might get traded to Washington. They're building a nice young team.

Dukes is a piece of shit. As a human being, I mean. He's alright at baseball.

Anyway, I didn't mean a top prospect for Burnett. I was talking about maybe two guys at a lower level. Maybe Clippard and some throw-in.

I think the Quentin trade was a bad deal for the Diamondbacks.

Gammons is saying that a Cabrera deal to the Angels would be Howie Kendrick, Jeff Mathis, either Nick Adenhart/Ervin Santana and another prospect.

Marlins fans are, in a word, livid. I think this is going to make a lot of people very unhappy if it goes through. Myself included.

The Marlins have fans left?

Elijah Dukes might get traded to Washington (possibly for Chad Cordero). They're building a nice young team.

Source? I would suspect that with the Rays signing Troy Percival and the Nats trading for Lastings Milledge, this one is dead.

Elijah Dukes might get traded to Washington. They're building a nice young team.

Dukes is a piece of shit. As a human being, I mean. He's alright at baseball.

Anyway, I didn't mean a top prospect for Burnett. I was talking about maybe two guys at a lower level. Maybe Clippard and some throw-in.

I think the Quentin trade was a bad deal for the Diamondbacks.

The Quentin trade was made because Justin Upton took over the right field job. Quentin is expendable.