TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Mets fans will still find things to bitch about even though it looks like they've fleeced the Twins.

I kid you not, on one board a poster is very upset about trading Mulvey and is extremely worried that Santana will turn into Bartolo Colon, or worse, what happened to Frank Viola where he was essentially done after 1991 while two of the guys he was traded for (Kevin Tapani and Rick Augliera) went on to have productive major league careers.

Without even giving up Fernando Martinez!!!!

I'm so happy right now. So, so, so happy. I hadn't been satisfied with ANYTHING the mets had done this offseason, but now, wow. No other real emotion to speak of. Just a ridiculous level of happieness. I saw Humber pitch in Spring Training last year and he got rocked for 6 runs (5 earned), and I haven't really been a fan since. I've never liked Gomez, and maybe this is a dumb thing to say but he doesn't appear to have the right build. He looks kinda...scrawny.

Really happy. Really, really, ridiculously happy.

Without even giving up Fernando Martinez!!!!

Best part of the whole thing. Maybe it's a little too optimistic, but I can just see him as the second coming of Carlos Beltran.

Great job my Minaya to get the deal done without giving up Martinez.

I've only seen Humber pitch a few times and I don't like his stuff at all. He could develop but I just don't see it.

Carlos Gomez has zero plate discipline but the raw skills are there. I could see him putting up a .290/.340/.450 line in a few years

Mulvey and Guerra could be solid back of the rotation starters

I just hope that Rick Peterson doesn't get his 'Don't throw a strike until you absolutely have to" philosophy in the mind of Santana (look how well that worked out in Sept. when teams started to realize the deal)

I don't know what more you could do to the team to make sure they win the pennant. Nothing is guaranteed, but they look like the top team right now.

They looked like the best team in 2006, but lost to a team a few games over .500 and last year's epic collapse makes me cautious about winning the pennant.

I don't know what more you could do to the team to make sure they win the pennant. Nothing is guaranteed, but they look like the top team right now.

They looked like the best team in 2006, but lost to a team a few games over .500 and last year's epic collapse makes me cautious about winning the pennant.

But both of those losses can be pointed directly onto the pitching staff, and Santana immediately shores that up. Martinez/Santana/Maine would be like death row in the postseason. They snag one more consistent bullpen arm between then and now and they've got a great shot to make it to the big dance in October/November.

But both of those losses can be pointed directly onto the pitching staff, and Santana immediately shores that up. Martinez/Santana/Maine would be like death row in the postseason. They snag one more consistent bullpen arm between then and now and they've got a great shot to make it to the big dance in October/November.

I know, but with Pedro and El Duque you never when they'll get hurt and someone like Pelfrey has to put in 10 or 15 important starts he's not yet prepared to make. I'm still not sold on Heilman/Wagner in the 8th and 9th innings in the postseason either. With Santana this looks like our team with the best chance to win the World Series since the '80s but we have to actually get there first. I knew the 2000 team was going to get crushed by the Yankees and I don't think the 2006 team would have beaten the Tigers, but I also didn't think the Tigers would completely forget how to throw the ball to first base and essentially serve up the trophy on a silver platter.

I guess what I'm saying is that the first 135 games or so of next year won't really give me an idea if the team is actually going to live up to their potential on paper. They've looked like world beaters from April to September 1st the last couple of years and that really hasn't amounted to anything yet.

With ESPN.com claiming that the Mets and Santana aren't even close to an agreed extension yet, my blood pressure is going to be skyrocketing until tomorrow.

When you're this close to acquiring the best pitcher in the game, you give him whatever he wants. Six years? Sure. 20 million? No problem. Minaya's first-born son? You got it.

He becomes a free agent at the end of the season. They could either trade him now and get back some talent in return, or hold onto him for a season in which they have no shot of making the playoffs anyway and then lose him to free agency without getting anything back. He also implied he would invoke his no-trade clause all throughout the 2008 season if they didn't trade him before spring training.

Common sense tells me this is typically how negotiations go, and no way would Minaya let an opportunity like this pass him up, no matter the cost. But as someone who has seen the Mets front office fumble things before....well, I'm cautious.

Baseball Prospectus' Top 100 Prospects - 2008

1. Jay Bruce, of, Reds

2. Clay Buchholz, rhp, Red Sox

3. Evan Longoria, 3b, Rays

4. Joba Chamberlain, rhp, Yankees

5. Clayton Kershaw, lhp, Dodgers

6. David Price, lhp, Rays

7. Travis Snider, of, Blue Jays

8. Colby Rasmus, of, Cardinals

9. Homer Bailey, rhp, Reds

10. Cameron Maybin, of, Marlins

11. Rick Porcello, rhp, Tigers

12. Matt Wieters, c, Orioles

13. Franklin Morales, lhp, Rockies

14. Andy LaRoche, 3b, Dodgers

15. Wade Davis, rhp, Rays

16. Jacoby Ellsbury, of, Red Sox

17. Jordan Schafer, of, Braves

18. Desmond Jennings, of, Rays

19. Mike Moustakas, ss, Royals

20. Jarrod Parker, rhp, Diamondbacks

21. Joey Votto, 1b, Reds

22. Daric Barton, 1b, Athletics

23. Chase Headley, 3b, Padres

24. Andrew McCutchen, of, Pirates

25. Reid Brignac, ss, Rays

26. Carlos Gonzalez, of, Athletics

27. Nick Adenhart, rhp, Angels

28. Chris Marrero, of/1b, Nationals

29. Angel Villalona, 3b, Giants

30. Neftali Feliz, rhp, Rangers

31. Matt LaPorta, of, Brewers

32. Chin-Lung Hu, ss, Dodgers

33. Jeff Clement, c, Mariners

34. Ian Kennedy, rhp, Yankees

35. Ross Detwiler, lhp, Nationals

36. Jason Heyward, of, Braves

37. Geovany Soto, c, Cubs

38. Brandon Wood, 3b/ss, Angels

39. Matt Antonelli, 2b, Padres

40. Jacob McGee, lhp, Devil Rays

41. Johnny Cueto, rhp, Reds

42. Manny Parra, lhp, Brewers

43. Steven Pearce, 1b, Pirates

44. Chris Tillman, rhp, Mariners

45. Josh Vitters, 3b, Cubs

46. Fautino de los Santos, rhp, Athletics

47. Austin Jackson, of, Yankees

48. Jose Tabata, of, Yankees

49. Eric Hurley, rhp, Rangers

50. Brett Anderson, lhp, Athletics

51. Fernando Martinez, of, Mets

52. Adam Miller, rhp, Indians

53. Justin Masterson, rhp, Red Sox

54. J.R. Towles, c, Astros

55. Carlos Triunfel, ss, Mariners

56. Gio Gonzalez, lhp, Athletics

57. Jed Lowrie, ss, Red Sox

58. Elvis Andrus, ss, Rangers

59. Jordan Walden, rhp, Angels

60. Ryan Kalish, of, Red Sox

61. Matt Latos, rhp, Padres

62. Engel Beltre, of, Rangers

63. Brent Lillibridge, ss, Braves

64. Gerardo Parra, of, Diamondbacks

65. Carlos Gomez, of, Twins

66. Scott Elbert, lhp, Dodgers

67. Alan Horne, rhp, Yankees

68. Carlos Carrasco, rhp, Phillies

69. Chris Perez, rhp, Cardinals

70. Brandon Jones, of, Braves

71. Bryan Anderson, c, Cardinals

72. Luke Hochevar, rhp, Royals

73. Michael Main, rhp, Rangers

74. Chris Davis, 3b, Rangers

75. Chorye Spoone, rhp, Orioles

76. Jeremy Jeffress, rhp, Brewers

77. Taylor Teagarden, c, Rangers

78. Wes Hodges, 3b, Indians

79. Deolis Guerra, rhp, Twins

80. Chris Nelson, ss, Rockies

81. Michael Burgess, of, Nationals

82. Greg Reynolds, rhp, Rockies

83. Gorkys Hernandez, of, Braves

84. Henry Sosa, rhp, Giants

85. Radhames Liz, rhp, Orioles

86. Jair Jurrjens, rhp, Braves

87. Aaron Poreda, lhp, White Sox

88. Chris Volstad, rhp, Marlins

89. Hank Conger, c, Angels

90. Max Scherzer, rhp, Diamondbacks

91. Casey Weathers, rhp, Rockies

92. Dexter Fowler, of, Rockies

93. Wladimir Balentien, of, Mariners

94. Neil Walker, 3b, Pirates

95. Michael Bowden, rhp, Red Sox

96. Joe Savery, lhp, Phillies

97. Ben Revere, of, Twins

98. Trevor Cahill, rhp, Athletics

99. Chris Carter, 1b, Athletics

100. Lars Anderson, 1b, Red Sox

Well, it's good to see that the Astros have at least ONE prospect in the Top 100 list. It pains me to see the sucktitude that is the Astros' farm system. They nevery had the best system in baseball, but even as recent as 5-7 years ago, they were in the upper third. After Hunsicker left, the farm's gotten progressivly worse with bad draft after bad draft, Purpura trading away upper-tier prospects for players like Aubrey Huff and Jason Jennings, and the Astros' Venezuelan Academy becoming irrelevant-which is sad, especially considering it was the Academy that signed and developed Johan Santana, Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen and others. I hope that Bobby Heck can build the system back up. He did quite well in Milwaukee.

Keith Law says Fernando Martinez is #10, BA says he's 51. Is there a third list out there maybe I can check? 10 to 51 is kind of huge, I don't really know anything based on those two, haha.

Keith Law says Fernando Martinez is #10, BA says he's 51. Is there a third list out there maybe I can check? 10 to 51 is kind of huge, I don't really know anything based on those two, haha.

That's not the BA list above, it's Baseball Prospectus. Baseball America should have their list out next week. You could also check John Sickels.

It's hard to find consistency from list to list. Every scout has their own system for rating prospects and lists can vary heavily based on this. Some will rate their prospects on ceiling, while others rate it on closeness to majors and the likelihood of reaching their potential.

Fernando Martinez is a very young player with a monster ceiling. The chances of him reaching that ceiling at this point are slim. How each side treats that explains the discrepancy in his rating. Outside of the top 10, these lists are a crapshoot.

Even the top 10 can be deceiving. Most Reds scouts (who have seen both Bailey and Cueto pitch from the start) think Cueto is actually the better prospect due to being a more complete pitcher with better control.

Red Sox sign Sean Casey to a one year, $700,000 contract. That's a good signing for a bench player. Casey gets on base, has a little pop, plays adequate defense and can hit lefties. Exactly what the team needed, although I would have preferred Brad Wilkerson.

That's a bargain. I'm amazed he couldn't find a starting job somewhere. The days of him being The Mayor of Cincinnati seem like forever ago.

The White Sox break out the Camouflage

Posted by: Richie Rich in Padres, Uniforms, White Sox

For years, some people have said that the White Sox play in a war zone.

Really, people. The South Side of Chicago isn’t anything like that - it’s being quickly gentrified … especially in the area around U.S. Cellular Field.

But the White Sox will look like they’re ready for combat … at least for one game this season.

You see, on July 4, 2008, the White Sox will take the field against the Oakland A’s wearing camouflage jerseys.

Sox’ southpaw Mark Buehrle modelled the new White Sox’ fatigues at SoxFest this past weekend.

The rumor around last weekend’s SoxFest was that the camouflage uniforms were Buehrle’s idea and that he “requested” the Sox wear them as part of his contract negotiations last season. Buehrle had been pitching the idea to the White Sox’ marketing department about the idea for a few years.

Man, I'd hate to be a White Sox fan. Bad GM. Bad team. Bad marketing. Ughh.

Guest Blue Man Czech

Camouflage isn't going to save your ass in Bridgeport.

However, the idea of Mark Buehrle including alternate camouflage uniforms as one of his contract demands makes me laugh my fuckin' ass off. He also asked for a club sandwich and more playing time for Aaron Gray.

Great, now I can't get the image of Mark Buehrle shoving a club sandwich into his whiskery face and going "om nom nom" out of my mind.

I think it's unbelievable the Mets/Santana discussions are coming down to the wire like this.

According to Jayson Stark, they're supposedly close to a 6-year, $152-million deal.

It almost seems like the Mets are going to blow this. I don't know how, but it sure seems that way.

How can you get him for nothing and then turn around and not meet his contract demands?

I guess you aren't as familiar with Freddy Coupon as the average Mets fan is. They just asked for and received a two hour extension apparently. If this deal doesn't get done someone has to get fired and the Wilpons may just unseat the Dolans as the most incompetent ownership group in NY.