TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Boston Herald now says that Schilling might have a torn labrum or rotator cuff and could miss the entire 2008 season. The Sox have already looked into voiding the contract that he signed in November.

Wow, that whole pitching depth problem sure solved itself quickly.

I guess it's time to call Minnesota. Oh wait, my bad.

Rotoworld is speculating that they may take a look at Kyle Lohse or Bartolo Colon as a 5th starter because of innings limits on Lester and Buchholz. Uggh... that would not be a good thing.

Not in a million years do I think PA and McFailure would call up the Sox about Bedard, but its just the timing to hold up the Bedard to Seattle trade another couple of days..

You have to wonder, if he comes back after the All Star break, what sort of shape he would come back in.

Also his incentive-laden contract is now fucked. He had incentives for all sorts of stuff including MVP votes and innings, we won't make any of those. Should be interesting.

So Schilling has seen three doctors; one says he needs surgery and his season (and by proxy his career) is over, one says he needs surgery but can be back by mid-July, one says he doesn't need surgery at all. Correct?

So Schilling has seen three doctors; one says he needs surgery and his season (and by proxy his career) is over, one says he needs surgery but can be back by mid-July, one says he doesn't need surgery at all. Correct?

You sort of have it right. He clarified the situation with a few posts on the Sons of Sam Horn message board last night.

In mid-January he started experiencing problems with his shoulder (after he signed a new deal and passed his physical). He went to see his doctor. The doctor recommended shoulder surgery and it was his opinion that the surgery would allow him to return this year.

The Red Sox medical staff examined the same shoulder and determined that surgery wasn't necessary and that if he did have said surgery, it would end his season. They argued that by having the surgery that they didn't support, he'd be in violation of his contract and they'd void it. To solve the situation, they went to an arbitrator (the head of the Mets medical staff) and he sided with the Red Sox' position.

Therefore, he'll try to rehab the shoulder and return around the All-Star break. He'll still likely need surgery at some point.

What ever happened to Craig Hansen?

After he was drafted, he totally changes his mechanics in an effort to avoid a possible future injury (he had a major jerking motion). No one has said for sure whether this was a Red Sox management call or something from the Boras camp, although there have been accusations from both sides.

After a confusing 2006 season where he worked as a starter, long reliever and closer at multiple levels, they put him on a strict 50 inning limit last year and stated from Spring Training that he would not be called up from AAA under any circumstances. He had a disastrous first half, but regained some of his form towards the end of the season.

His old mechanics and devastating slider returned in September, but then he was shut down with a minor injury and later had surgery to correct sleep apnea. He's sort of a huge question mark right now, but should compete for a bullpen spot. It's really a make or break season for him.

The Sox wouldn't give the Orioles anything as valuable as Adam Jones though, so what's the point? The O's have a sucker on the line with Seattle. No need to screw it up now.

When it comes to wise trades, the Orioles usually look at the gift handed to them and slam it against the wall before loudly screaming, "I WANT THE REALLY STUPID WORTHLESS ONE INSTEAD!"

Until it's announced, I really don't trust them.

Looks like the trade is official. Eric Bedard for Adam Jones, George Sherrill, Anthony Butler, Chris Tillman and Kameron Mickolio. Tillman is the M's #3 prospect, Jones would be a top ten overall prospect if eligible. This is obviously a great trade for the Orioles. I don't think it's bad from the Mariners' perspective either. They still have Ichiro locked up in center field. In right field Wladimir Balentien is not an elite prospect, but he is young, improving and productive at every level.

Felix Hernandez and Eric Bedard may now be the best 1-2 punch in baseball.

Guest Blue Man Czech

Roger Clemens had Brian McNamee stick a little something in Clemens's wife's ass. No, not THAT, human growth hormone!

The Orioles cleaned house on this deal. This is a superior package to the ones received for Haren and Santana this offeason. Adam Jones is a legit star in the making and he fills an immediate hole for Baltimore. Tillman has great stuff and should eventually develop into a mid-rotation starter.

I think Seattle did okay too, but they may have deluded themselves into thinking that they are a contender. I think that they've improved themselves by 5 wins or so, but given that last year's team was more of an 80 win team than the 88 they ended up with, these big moves might still leave them ten games out of the playoffs. If they can add another bat they should do so, even if it costs them the farm.

The only player moving that I don't get is George Sherrill. He was an integral part of last year's bullpen and Seattle needs a bridge to Putz. Baltimore doesn't have any pressing need for middle relief. My only guess is that they are going to pencil him in as the closer and hope to move him at the deadline.

The only player moving that I don't get is George Sherrill. He was an integral part of last year's bullpen and Seattle needs a bridge to Putz. Baltimore doesn't have any pressing need for middle relief. My only guess is that they are going to pencil him in as the closer and hope to move him at the deadline.

Believe me when I tell you Baltimore has a VERY pressing need for relief pitching. Remember Sherrill doesn't reach free agency for four years yet as well.

Believe me when I tell you Baltimore has a VERY pressing need for relief pitching. Remember Sherrill doesn't reach free agency for four years yet as well.

It's not that relief pitching wasn't a problem. In fact, they probably had the worst bullpen in the American League last year. It just seems like a waste to bolster the pen on a team that probably won't even win 70 games. I would have asked for more prospects.

EDIT: Sherrill is three years from free agency. He's also 30 years old.

Guest Blue Man Czech
The only player moving that I don't get is George Sherrill. He was an integral part of last year's bullpen and Seattle needs a bridge to Putz.

They also need a bridge to Terabithia.

EDIT: Sherrill is three years from free agency. He's also 30 years old.

Looking over his gamelogs, his first two seasons do not add up to a full year in the Majors. In three years he will have about a month's short of six years service time. Close to six years, but it has to be over six.

the whole bullpen is ??? No Ray or Baez (yay!): Acquino, Bradford, Hoey, Cherry, Walker? No idea who the closer is.

Edit - Sherrill is apparently #1 in line to Close now.

Orioles' depth chart has Jamie Walker, Dennis Sarfate (acquired from Houston), Chad Bradford, George Sherrill, Brian Burres, Jim Hoey, and Jon Leicester. Rocky Cherry and Radhames Liz would be in competition for relief jobs as well.

Guest Blue Man Czech
Do you think there's a chance the Mariners can pick up another quality pitcher without trading Jones? And, what ever happened to Carl Everett?

-- Gary W., Issaquah, Wash.

To acquire the caliber of pitcher the Mariners desire, it will cost them Jones, among others, and there is no getting around that. As for Everett, he currently is on the roster of the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. The White Sox and Angels have expressed interest in the veteran slugger, but he remains unsigned.

eeeYESSSSSS

Jurassic Carl: Chicago Tough. Is Sandy Alomar Jr. available too?

The Orioles are going to sign Josh Fogg to a contract.

yuckity yuck

at least we have a dragon slayer on the team now..yeah.

Oh, and Adam Jones is off on the right foot in Baltimore..hes been talking to guys like Ray Lewis, Jim Palmer and Brooks Robinson..so he seems like he wants to fit in Baltimore and hopefully he does. He is a Colts fan though..BOO! Mark McLemore (a former Oriole) was one of his mentors which is pretty cool..I liked him when he was an Oriole.

The Orioles are going to sign Josh Fogg to a contract.

yuckity yuck

at least we have a dragon slayer on the team now..yeah.

The sad part is he'll be Baltimore's 2nd best pitcher.

The only thing he has going for him is experience and not playing a large porion of his games in Coors Field so it should help but bleh..Id rather see the young arms right out of the gate then bringing in a "veteran". They wanted a guy that would eat innings like Trax but Fogg hasnt thrown more than 200 innings ever and hasnt even topped 170ish recently.

As it stands with Fogg the Rotation will probably look like Guthrie/Loewen/Fogg/Cabrera/Patton. Last year it was going to be Bedard/Cabrera/Wright/Loewen/Benson, then Benson got hurt and they brought in Trachsel, Wright got hurt and they started Guthrie and Loewen got hurt and they went with Brian Burres. Loewen was off to a really fast start before getting hurt which is why people are optimistic he can handle the #2 slot..

Id almost rather they abandon Cabrera as a starter and have him be the closer so they could use Garrett Olson in the 5th spot...I think Cabrera would be nasty as the Closer with his ability to strike out a side, but it would also be heart attack inducing watching him walk the bases loaded just as often..but hes not cut out to be a starter any longer..he hasnt shown any signs of improvement after several years of knowing he has control issues..and he led the league last year in Walks, Wild Pitches and Earned Runs and was 2nd in hit batters...so hes getting worse..

My version of the TSM Fantasy Baseball league is open. Yahoo now has a setup that renews the league and sends emails to last year's managers. Last year's entrants will have first preference to joining and then we'll see how many openings are left. There will be at least one.

Al, any update on the contract negotiations with Ryan Howard?

Last I heard he wants $10 million and the team is offering $7 million. They won't actually let this go to arbitration, will they?

A few names inked today:

-Mets signed RHP Tony Armas, Jr. to a minor league deal.

-Orioles signed RHP Steve Traschel to a minor league deal.

-Pirates signed 1B Doug Mientkiewicz to a minor league deal.

-Rockies signed the arbitration-eligible 3B Garrett Atkins to a 1-year deal worth $4.3875 million.

Al, any update on the contract negotiations with Ryan Howard?

Last I heard he wants $10 million and the team is offering $7 million. They won't actually let this go to arbitration, will they?

No updates. I really wouldn't read too much into it. Everyone understands arbitration is not a business process and there really aren't personal feelings involved, any moreso than a normal contract negotiation.

As I posted earlier, I will be extremely surprised if Ryan Howard wins this case. Arbitration figures are determined by comparing the player with players at similar experience and production levels. Carlos Pena signed for $7 million next season, Justin Morneau for $7.5 Million. Howard's agent needs to argue that he is worth $8.5 Million or more to win the case. I think the Phillies are letting this ride because Howard refuses to negotiate downward, and the case is winnable for the Phils.

My version of the TSM Fantasy Baseball league is open. Yahoo now has a setup that renews the league and sends emails to last year's managers. Last year's entrants will have first preference to joining and then we'll see how many openings are left. There will be at least one.

Can I call dibbs?

No updates. I really wouldn't read too much into it. Everyone understands arbitration is not a business process and there really aren't personal feelings involved, any moreso than a normal contract negotiation.

Really? I thought that the entire process gets very personal and that teams will try to avoid arbitration whenever they can, even if it costs them money. Arbitration hearings, by nature, force the team to argue against their own player's abilities and accomplishments. That can often cause bad feelings between player and team.