TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest shrevedude

Today, Eddie Guerrero would have turned 40

What was your favorite Eddie Guerrero match?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite Eddie Guerrero match?

• Hair vs. Mask Eddie and Art Barr vs. Octagon and El Hijo Del Santo from When Worlds Collide 11/6/94
    • 2 out of 3 falls vs. Dean Malenko ECW 8/26/95
    • WCW Cruiserweight title match vs. Chris Jericho WCW Fall Brawl 9/14/97
    • Mask vs. Title match vs. Rey Mysterio WCW Halloween Havoc 10/26/97
    • Hair vs. Hair match vs. Chavo Gerrero WCW Bash at the Beach 7/12/98
    • Ladder match for I-C belt vs. Rob Van Dam WWE Raw 5/27/02
    • 3-Way match for Tag Team Title Los Guerreros vs. Edge and Rey vs. Angle and Benoit for WWE Tag Titles Survivor Series 11/17/02
    • U.S. title tourney final vs. Chris Benoit Vengeance 7/27/03
    • WWE title match vs. Brock Lesnar No Way Out 2/15/04
    • Other (please specify in post)

Guest shrevedude

In a post-Benoit world, I feel that it is appropriate today for us to pay tribute to someone who deserves to be paid tribute to, someone who will always be remembered for the good things, and the good moments he gave to us all.

Along with the greatest match poll, I have another question:

What was your favorite Eddie Guerrero moment?

Feel free to post other comments about Eddie if you wish as well

Viva La Raza!

Happy Birthday, Eddie! Rest in Peace

I voted for Eddie's WWE Title win, even though I feel his Halloween Havoc match with Rey is a better pure match. His Title win is such a feel good moment, I just had to vote for it.

God, I miss Eddie so much.

Guest shrevedude
I'm not sure how much tribute is necessary for a guy who died at a ridiculously young age because of a lifetime of drug, alcohol, pain pill and steroid abuse.

Yes, but he did so much for the industry...he gave it everything he had every night...so many people loved him

Yes, he went through losts of drug abuse, yes he did have some severe personal problems in his life, yes he did end up dying in the end, but he did overcome his problems

I think a lot of people would beg to differ with your opinion

I'm not sure how much tribute is necessary for a guy who died at a ridiculously young age because of a lifetime of drug, alcohol, pain pill and steroid abuse.

Yes, but he did so much for the industry...he gave it everything he had every night...so many people loved him

Yes, he went through losts of drug abuse, yes he did have some severe personal problems in his life, yes he did end up dying in the end, but he did overcome his problems

Well you are definitely entitled to your opinion. I don't think we need to pay tribute to or honor Eddie Guerrero. He's a cautionary tale, not a hero to the industry.

Under that criteria, Benoit deserves a tribute too (not that I'm comparing how Eddie went out and how Benoit went out).

In a perfect world you might have a point. But sometimes the tribute is in what a person can overcome in all the wrong they have done to still become a good person. Everything I read about Eddie reminds me of how Sam Kinison (who was a childhood hero of mine) ended up: The guy who gets his life together just in time for him to have it all taken away when he dies. That just sucks. Combine that with Eddie being a totally great wrestler... it isn't too hard to separate the man and the wrestler and still be a fan.

What can I say? I miss seeing him on TV.

I miss Eddie. I really do. He had so many good matches. Someone once said on a forum that Eddie could carry a bowl of chocolate pudding to a four star match and I agree. He's one of my top five of all time - up there w/ Ric Flair, etc. I think my favorite matches w/ him included his Farewell to ECW match w/ Dean Malenko, his match w/ Rey Mysterio @ Halloween Havoc, his ladder match w/ RVD on RAW, his bloody match w/ JBL at Judgement Day, and of course, his championship win against Brock Lesnar.

I miss Eddie and I feel this thread should stay here.

God Bless Eddie....

I voted for Other.. my fav was the Eddie Guerrero vs JBL from Judgment Day 2004...

Lest not forget his great match with Batista 2 years ago...

I went with the title win since it brings tears to my eyes each and every time I even see a highlight of it. Happened even when he was still alive.

Moments like that are what make time stand still....

Someone once said on a forum that Eddie could carry a bowl of chocolate pudding to a four star match and I agree.

And yet there's a noted lack of Eddy Guerrero-Mark Henry four star classics.

I hope this doesn't turn into a reoccuring trend.

Otherwise, there will be one of these threads every other day.

Anyway, my favorite memories of Eddie Guerrero was the honorable way that WWE handled his passing and refused the urge to exploit his death for their own gain.

Considering it was close to the holiday season and the despicable things this company has done in the past, they finally did the right thing.

Viva la Raza, Vince

Cena vs. Gurrerro was one hell of a feud. That parking lot brawl was a really good fun match.

I wonder how well they would work today if Cena was feuding with a heel Eddie. I can see an instant double turn or the fans heavily favour Eddie over Cena forcing the WWE to turn him heel.

Eddie winning the title will always be a favorite moment. Sadly, one of my all time favorite moments in wrestling will pretty much be wiped from exsistance. That moment is the end of WrestleMania XX with Eddie and Benoit celebrating in the ring as Champions.

Eddie was a phenomenol talent, and I enjoyed pretty much all his matches. However, I wonder how most would remember him if he never won the WWE title. If he didn't take steroids,and subsequently have the look, he NEVER would have have been pushed with the title, period. I wonder if people would just remember him then as a great wrestler, story teller, yes, but in the end just a Matt Hardy -like mid carder. I voted for the Brock Lesnar WWE match, because the match was told quite well by both, but i can't look at that match without seeing the tremendous amount of backacne on Eddie and realize a little what he had to do to get to this point. For people who didn't think he took roids (before he died), I submit to you this match as true visual evidence.

Having said this, I REALLY was interested in seeing where his character was going to go around the time of him fighting Batista for the title. The ambiguity of the him trying to be good but having the cheating/heel tendency underneath of the character was awesome and had many directions in which the WWE could have gone.

No offense, but my memory of Eddie has been tainted by the confirmed reports of his steroid usage. According to the appropriate sources, Eddie recieved his last shipment of WWE Main Event Vitamins 2 weeks before he died.

No offense, but my memory of Eddie has been tainted by the confirmed reports of his steroid usage. According to the appropriate sources, Eddie recieved his last shipment of WWE Main Event Vitamins 2 weeks before he died.

I think it would be a bit naive to think that a guy who ballooned up that much towards the end of his career wasn't on something. It doesn't effect the way I tink about Eddie. Hell, I'm a little shocked when I find out that wrestler ISN'T on something

I voted for Other: Vs. Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania 20

Moment: When he returned to El Paso as the U.S. Champion, that welcome home celebration he got along with the hilarious promo he cut is something I will never forget.

At least he didn't kill anybody.

I wonder how well they would work today if Cena was feuding with a heel Eddie. I can see an instant double turn or the fans heavily favour Eddie over Cena forcing the WWE to turn him heel.

I always imagined that if Cena remained on Smackdown, he would've defended the WWE Championship against heel Guerrero at SummerSlam.

In a perfect world you might have a point. But sometimes the tribute is in what a person can overcome in all the wrong they have done to still become a good person. Everything I read about Eddie reminds me of how Sam Kinison (who was a childhood hero of mine) ended up: The guy who gets his life together just in time for him to have it all taken away when he dies. That just sucks. Combine that with Eddie being a totally great wrestler... it isn't too hard to separate the man and the wrestler and still be a fan.

Didn't they find drugs in Sam Kinison's body as well?

Didn't they find drugs in Sam Kinison's body as well?

According to the Wiki:

Kinison was working to become clean and sober in the months before his death and he married his girlfriend Malika Souiri in 1992. Just six days after the wedding, Kinison's white Pontiac Firebird Trans Am was struck by a seventeen-year-old drunk driver on US 95, four miles north of where it intersects Interstate 40, near Fort Mohave, Arizona and Needles, California. He was not wearing a seat belt, and his chest struck the steering wheel upon impact.His best friends J.J. Wall and Carl LaBeau were in the van behind Sam. Sam got out of his car and fell to the ground Carl picked him up and held him until help came. As they sat on the road Carl reports that Sam was looking down the road and laughed and was talking to somebody and said no not now. Then he laughed and said no, not yet and laughed again then he said ok, ok he then died in the arms of his best friend. Oddly enough he had a joke that said none of us plan to drive drunk but how are we going to get our car's home for work the next day. His wife survived the accident. The other driver received only minor charges because Kinison was found to have very slight traces of cocaine in his bloodstream, though friends and relatives insisted that the comedian was 100% sober at the time of the collision.

This would have been the first time I had heard about there being drugs in his system. Plus is IS wiki so take it with a grain of salt.