TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

American Gangster

So am I the only one Looking forward to this Movie...

Two Best Actor Oscars Winners in a Film based on a True Story...

AmericanGanster.Net

Ridley Scott isnt too Shabby of a director either....

I always felt he was robbed for Best Director for Gladiator

But that's for another thread...

Anybody know the name of the song that plays in the trailer?

yeah but we already know heel Denzel is a thing of beauty.

Too true.

Oh I disagree. Crowe fucking sucked in that movie. Denzel was Denzel and it featured him with one arm shooting people, but the ending was sucky and Crowe as the glass eating psycho asshole really blew.

I mean it might not be THAT bad, but you would be hard pressed to call it a fine fucking film.

Ridley Scott directing does concern me, however. He can be hit or miss. Denzel and Crowe have both come a long way since Virtuosity so I think they'll do just fine.

I haven't been thoroughly excited for a movie (aside from the upcoming) Iron Man) in a long time and

this movie looks to be all kinds of awesome. Can't miss with Ridley Scott, Denzel,

Crowe, and from the looks a pretty good supporting cast (Common's pretty impressive

from what I've seen. He's slated to be in a movie with Keanu Reeves my job is working

on.)

Am I the only one that feels that Denzel has pretty much reached his pinnacle of dramatic

roles and is starting to rehash (see Pacino)? Hopefully, I am proven wrong with

American Gangster.

I'm not too worried. When Ridley Scott is on, he's ON and from the looks of the trailer, it looks like it's a hit. And I think he has something to prove after A Good Year and Kingdom of Heaven were such big flops. Though I quite liked Kingdom of Heaven myself.

Am I the only one that feels that Denzel has pretty much reached his pinnacle of dramatic

roles and is starting to rehash (see Pacino)? Hopefully, I am proven wrong with

American Gangster.

Pachino didn't reach his pinnacle. He did scent of a woman and then figured that yelling was the same as acting.

The thing that people always down Denzel about is that he pretty much plays Denzel in every movie. Is that what you mean by rehash?

Personally, I don't remember many great actors that don't start playing themselves every movie for the most part. Especially in great roles. Gene Hackman and Robert Duvall come to mind as guys that I love who have pretty much played themselves for the last 20 years and it never stops being amazing.

Well, nearly everyone has a screen persona. I'd be hard pressed to think of someone who flat out blend into any role. Paul Muni and Richard Basehart are two that come to mind.

Pacino did have a pinnacle, it was just in 1974 or so. He was never really the same after Cruising, haha.

Anyway American Gangster looks really good. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I think all great actors really do blend into the role. Making it seem like it is "X" as a sherrif is the personification of acting to me. I get annoyed when people say someone like Crowe is a better actor because he plays more diverse roles and gets to use an accent.

Not saying Crowe isn't good, but a different accent doesn't make great acting to me.

I dunno, Sandler's branched out a little bit... Little Nicky and Waterboy were somewhat different. Plus there's his handful of dramatic roles, which I have seen none of, but I imagine they'd have to be different.

Nicholson is at the point where he has such a mega huge screen persona that he can't really do anything else. I also find it amusing that his character is often named Jack in the movie, like in The Shining or Batman. I don't know exactly when it was that Nicholson stopped really blending into a role though.

Nicholson is at the point where he has such a mega huge screen persona that he can't really do anything else.

That's kind of where I'm at with Denzel. Don't get me wrong, he's probably one

of the few actors where I'll see his name in a movie trailer, and almost for certain make the trip

out to the cinema. It's just, I don't see anything left for him to prove. He's played

everything from the love interest to the corrupt cop and everything in between

and I just don't see any "wow" factor left aside from his awesome trademarks

(the Pacino yelling speeches, etc.) It's like, where's your inspiration as an

actor, after you've pretty much covered all ground in a certain category? I'm echoing

sentiments from my acting coach, but still, it serves a good point. He's done the Action/Drama

role, and fucking perfected it, and maybe that'll be his niche from now on. I just look up to him

so much as an actor, I don't want him to be typecast. However, if he's rocking shit in his roles, maybe

it won't be such a bad thing. We'll see when American Gangster comes out.

Maybe he could take the DeNiro/Pesci route and drift off into comedy...

other than one of his earlier movies "Carbon Copy", I don't think Denzel has EVER done a comedy...has he? I know he did that movie with Whitney Houston where he was an angel, but that was mor of a romantic drama type flick.

Wait...what was that movie he did with Bob Hoskins where he, again, was an angel? I think that was a comedy.

EDIT: upon reading wiki, that movie is called "Heart Condition". He also starred in "Much Ado About Nothing", I forgot about that one. Also, I found this to be interesting:

While filming the 1995 film, Virtuosity, Washington refused to kiss his white female co-star, Kelly Lynch, during a romantic scene between their characters. During an interview, Lynch stated that while she wanted to, "Denzel felt very strongly about it. I felt there is no problem with interracial romance. But Denzel felt strongly that the white males, who were the target audience of this movie, would not want to see him kiss a white woman." Lynch further stated, "That's a shame. I feel badly about it. I keep thinking that the world's changed, but it hasn't changed quick enough".[1] A similar situation also occurred during the filming of The Pelican Brief when Julia Roberts expressed in an interview her desire to have her character in the film engaged in a romantic relationship with Washington's character. And an additional occurrence was in the 1989 film The Mighty Quinn where Washington's Quinn character did not kiss Mimi Rogers' alluring Hadley character. However, in 1998, Washington starred in a scene of a sexual nature with actress Milla Jovovich, in Spike Lee's He Got Game.

other than one of his earlier movies "Carbon Copy", I don't think Denzel has EVER done a comedy...has he? I know he did that movie with Whitney Houston where he was an angel, but that was mor of a romantic drama type flick.

Wait...what was that movie he did with Bob Hoskins where he, again, was an angel? I think that was a comedy.

EDIT: upon reading wiki, that movie is called "Heart Condition". He also starred in "Much Ado About Nothing", I forgot about that one. Also, I found this to be interesting:

While filming the 1995 film, Virtuosity, Washington refused to kiss his white female co-star, Kelly Lynch, during a romantic scene between their characters. During an interview, Lynch stated that while she wanted to, "Denzel felt very strongly about it. I felt there is no problem with interracial romance. But Denzel felt strongly that the white males, who were the target audience of this movie, would not want to see him kiss a white woman." Lynch further stated, "That's a shame. I feel badly about it. I keep thinking that the world's changed, but it hasn't changed quick enough".[1] A similar situation also occurred during the filming of The Pelican Brief when Julia Roberts expressed in an interview her desire to have her character in the film engaged in a romantic relationship with Washington's character. And an additional occurrence was in the 1989 film The Mighty Quinn where Washington's Quinn character did not kiss Mimi Rogers' alluring Hadley character. However, in 1998, Washington starred in a scene of a sexual nature with actress Milla Jovovich, in Spike Lee's He Got Game.

I remember reading his devotion to his wife is why you rarely see him to love scenes

Good thing he can act though... Im sure they may have cost him roles, but looking over his career it doesnt really matter

I also was having a debate with someone who said that Will Smith was a better actor than Denzel

Now...will has come a long way. I've seen Those Fresh Prince episodes where he's showed greatness..

The one with his father is probably the best.....

I also the like the one's where Carlton got his Speed Pills from his locker and the one where he got shot

He showed flashes there....And He's a great actor now....I t just seems to me that he's doing dramatic roles

to prove something, while he's benifited from it... It just seems to me that Denzel is just fucking Denzel and

his shit just comes across as more seemless and natural....

I can watch and listen to Denzel reading the phone book...I'm not there with Will yet. However, I will still maintain that he was absolutely perfect in Pursuit of Happyness.

I can watch aand listen to Denzel reading the phone book...I'm not there with Will yet. However, I will still maintain that he was absolutely perfect in Pursuit of Happyness.

I swear Denzel does that "Ok.....Ok" thing in every one of his movies....Shit's like his trademark...

Im gonna be looking out for that in American Gangster

:lol:

What? I agree that Will Smith is a pretty good actor, but those Fresh Prince episodes sucked.

Oh i disagree...

He was great in that One where his father left after hanging out with him for those few days.

The one where Carlton almost ODs was Pretty good too...At least for Will's acting at the end

of both epidsodes