TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Does knowing a simillar plot line...

Guest Vitamin X

61074_harrypotterstarwars.jpg

Also, the ending to anything classified in an advertisement as a "psychological thriller" is that it's all really in their head.

Every zombie movie ever made after Night of the Living Dead follows that plot, essentially: inner-turmoil between the survivors, blockading themselves into a confined space (this confined space grows with each Romero movie), attempting to escape, and then finally succumbing to the scourge and either barely making it out alive via the blurring of what is and isn't human or triumphantly moving on to the next place.

Off the top of my head, the only zombie flicks I've seen that doesn't really follow that formula (and I mean PURE zombie flick, not like Resident Evil or a couple of Fulci's flicks, specifically Gates of Hell and The Beyond) would be Cemetery Man (AKA Dellamorte Dellamore) and Bruno Mattei's awful piece of shit Hell of the Living Dead (AKA Night of the Zombies, Virus). Cemetery Man is vaguely decent, mostly for the mindfuck ending and nudity throughout, but Mattei's flick sucks donkey balls. The upside to it, though, is that it constantly moves forward, and I can't think of once when the main characters have to barricade themselves inside of a small building.

Talking about movies from the 80's that would not be rated what they were. Watch almost ALL John Candy movies from the 80's, they all have a lot of cursing and they were rated PG. I can't remember when PG-13 came into effect, but I believe in the 80's you only had G, PG, R, and X (along with XXX). That explains why so many 80's movies were PG when today they would be a hard PG-13 or even R.

I can't remember off hand, but there have been many films in the past year or so that I have thought, wow that looks like crap, and i liked it better when it was originally called (insert title here).

Like others have said, nothing is going to be new. Everything that you can think of has been done before, it's all about how you pull it off. Some movies do better then others making themselves stand out.

Hey Corey, why doesn't Resident Evil....okay, the first one, not fall under the Pure zombie movie umbrella.

The only difference I can see is that they gave a explaination for the dead rising, while in other Zombie movies we have no idea why the heck its happening.

You disqualified it because of the Licker, huh?

Eh, we get an explanation sometimes. Like Return of the Living Dead. I'm unsure whether I consider that the funniest zombie movie ever, or Shaun of the Dead. It's pretty close.

XXX, for the record, was never an actual rating.

PG-13 was introduced in either 83 or 84 with Red Dawn being the first recipient. Hell that movie would probably be R rated nowadays.

Gremlins was actually one of the movies that caused the new rating to show up (along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Both Spielberg involved oddly enough). I watched that shit with my 5 yr old a few months back and was like "Oh shit, I forgot about all this violence" and grabbed the case and sure enough, PG just like I remembered it.

Hell, Poltergeist is rated PG.

Eh, we get an explanation sometimes. Like Return of the Living Dead. I'm unsure whether I consider that the funniest zombie movie ever, or Shaun of the Dead. It's pretty close.

XXX, for the record, was never an actual rating.

Return of the Living Dead. No doubt. Whenever there is a scene with people beating a cut in half yet still alive dog medical specimen with a broom while it yelps in a movie, that automatically makes it the funniest.

For me, only if a movie is exactly copying something which has been done before. One big example: the movie Stay has a big twist ending which is the EXACT same thing as a couple other twist endings (

Jacob's Ladder and An Occurance At Owl Creek Bridge

).

Otherwise, if it's just kinda similar to something else, I don't care. It's damn near impossible to make a truly original story, practically anything you could think of has already been done. "Simpsons did it!"

Wasn't one of the spoiler tagged references a Twilight Zone episode?

No, it was a famous old short story which was afaik the first time that particular twist ending was done. I wouldn't be surprised if Twilight Zone did one like it sometime though.

walkin' dude is correct, Twilight Zone took a French short film based on that story and turned it into an episode for the show's fifth season.

IIRC, that episode also won an Oscar for best short film.

PG-13 was introduced in either 83 or 84 with Red Dawn being the first recipient. Hell that movie would probably be R rated nowadays.

Gremlins was actually one of the movies that caused the new rating to show up (along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Both Spielberg involved oddly enough). I watched that shit with my 5 yr old a few months back and was like "Oh shit, I forgot about all this violence" and grabbed the case and sure enough, PG just like I remembered it.

Hell, Poltergeist is rated PG.

I read in Rue Morgue magazine last month about that. Since it's the 25th Anniversary of the movie there was a big write up about the series. Anyway, it said originally the film was supposed to be rated R but because Spielberg is the MPAA darling, he was able to talk them down to PG. That's insane, from and R to PG.