TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2007 World Series

Best postseasons since the advent of divisional play. I'm not going to try and rank these, at least not yet. Presented in chronological order.

1. 1972

The NLCS saw the Reds score two runs in the bottom of the ninth of the deciding game to defeat the Pirates. In the ALCS, twice a team took a lead in the top of an extra inning only to lose the lead and the game in the bottom frame. The World Series went seven games with SIX of those decided by one run.

2. 1977

The Royals get three outs away from their first World Series but fall short to the Yankees. The Phillies lose a game three in heartbreaking fashion to the LA Dodgers. And of course, Reggie Jackson's game six dramatics in the World Series.

3. 1980

The Phillies defeat the Houston Astros in perhaps the finest bell-to-bell series in baseball history. Four of five games go extra innings. In the ALCS, the Royals finally beat the Yankees, sweeping them thanks to George Brett's upper deck home run off Goose Gossage. The World Series sees three come from behind victories and a Kansas City walkoff in game three. This World Series saw the highest ratings of any series in history.

4. 1986

Game six of the NLCS goes 16 innings. The Angels come a strike away from the World Series until losing three straight games. Game six of the World Series.

5. 2003

The divisional series gave us some great baseball, particularly Red Sox/A's and Marlins/Giants. The NLCS made Steve Bartman a goat, the ALCS got Grady Little fired. The World Series gave us the birth of the legend of Josh Beckett.

Honorable Mentions: 1975 (Classic World Series but LCS's were duds), 1991, 1996, 1999, 2004.

Suppose the Rockies rally winning four straight (or win three straight and lose in game 7), and do so in absurdly dramatic fashion all four times. I think that could potentially make up for an otherwise awful year of post season baseball.

I didn't stay up for last night's game. Now I see it went four hours and nineteen minutes? Jesus fucking christ. How the hell are you supposed to stay up until 1am to watch baseball?

Are you serious? The 15-14 game from 1993 didn't go four hours and nineteen minutes.

I didn't stay up for last night's game. Now I see it went four hours and nineteen minutes? Jesus fucking christ. How the hell are you supposed to stay up until 1am to watch baseball?

Are you serious? The 15-14 game from 1993 didn't go four hours and nineteen minutes.

The 30-3 Texas/Baltimore blowout I attended didn't even cross three and a half. I've been to a nine inning game WITH A TWO HOUR RAIN DELAY that didn't take that long to finish.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Hey, you pay for tickets at Fenway Park, you're gettin' a game!

Infield in in the first inning?

Yeah, that was pretty stupid. Joe Morgan actually made a great observation -- "You're in a park where a lot of runs are usually scored and you're trying to cut off one run?"

And the 2001 World Series is the best WS ever, to whoever ranked the "best postseasons ever". How 2001 doesn't get an honorable mention, when it contains Walk Off Memories nearly every night of the WS, in November, is crazy. Even a Yankees hater had to be saying "Damn. These guys are awesome."

Guest NYankees

I am a little lost on your comment. On one hand you are saying it was the best ever and on the other hand you are saying that it wasn't even on the honorable mention. It was a great World Series that had 4 classic games. After everything that happened that fall, I would have traded anything for the Yankees to have won that series.

And the 2001 World Series is the best WS ever, to whoever ranked the "best postseasons ever". How 2001 doesn't get an honorable mention, when it contains Walk Off Memories nearly every night of the WS, in November, is crazy. Even a Yankees hater had to be saying "Damn. These guys are awesome."

It was best postseasons, not just single series. If I rated best world series or best single series, yeah it's on there. 2001 though didn't carry anything beyond that series except for the Jeter flip. And if you think I'm rating that as an improvement you're out of your mind.

Best World Series was 1975, bar none.

Guest NYankees

It was best postseasons, not just single series. If I rated best world series or best single series, yeah it's on there. 2001 though didn't carry anything beyond that series except for the Jeter flip. And if you think I'm rating that as an improvement you're out of your mind.

Best World Series was 1975, bar none.

2001 had a great Division series. 3 out of the 4 series went to 5 games. The D'Backs won in the bottom of the ninth in game 5, the 116 win Mariners just barely got past the Indians and the Yankees came back from being down 2-0 against the A's. The LCS did suck but at least I got to hear Louuuuuuuuu, NO GAME 6 AND BEST TEAM EVER.

Guest NYankees

I am quite fond of the 1997, 1993 and the 2002 World Series. The Giants were 5 outs away and nothing beat hearing Chris Russo crying on the radio after the series.

Guest NYankees
Why are the last two batters two guys I've never even heard of?

Thats the Rockies for you.

Congrats to the Red Sox on another World Series. To think that on Valentines Day of 2004 the Yankees won the Arod Trade Sweepstakes and it is the Red Sox who are winning their second World Series since that trade.

It just occured to me that the past 4 World Series have absolutely sucked.

I pointed out to Al that over the losing sides of the last four WS have managed a whopping collective victory tally of one game.

Varitek learns from Mientkiewicz and promptly pockets the game-winning ball.

I'm not sure which is more loserly, that Varitek putting the ball in his back pocket was the first thing I noticed after the game was over, or that I can spell Mientkiewicz correctly off the top of my head.