TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2007 World Series

No offense to the Boston fans here but the Sox did beat the Angels, so I'm upset about that. Plus, you guys already won a WS. I'm hoping for the Rockies but I think the Sox will do it because their starting pitching better. Eric Gagne will be blamed for any loses from here on out.

I have a feeling that last century, the Yankees were dominant (26 World Series wins). I think the Sox will even up this century.

Surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet. The Colorado Rockies attempted to sell their World Series tickets online but their website crashed. The team still hasn't announced a plan to sell the tickets yet. It boggles me why it's taken the Rockies this long to attempt it in the first place considering the Phillies had a lottery system in place weeks ago. Right now $750 can get you into the Rockpile for game three.

This series is going to be HUGE in Denver, I guarantee you.

I think the long as fuck layoff for the Rockies combined with Beckett/playoff experience/Boston crowd gives the Sox a decided edge in game 1. I'd love to be proved wrong but it just seems like all the momentum would be with Boston right now and the Rockies will probably be overwhelmed by that combination. Game 2 is the big game in my eyes, if Colorado can bounce back after what I'm betting will be a loss in game 1 I think they'd have a decent shot in the series. I think homefield gives Boston an edge as it did against Cleveland, but the loss of the DH will hurt Boston in Colorado and it wouldn't be out of the question for the Rockies to take at least 2 out of 3 there.

I'd love to see Colorado win but I'm picking Sox in 6 or 7

Surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet. The Colorado Rockies attempted to sell their World Series tickets online but their website crashed. The team still hasn't announced a plan to sell the tickets yet. It boggles me why it's taken the Rockies this long to attempt it in the first place considering the Phillies had a lottery system in place weeks ago. Right now $750 can get you into the Rockpile for game three.

Expect a ton of Red Sox fans at Coors Field if they're selling exclusively online. I have no idea why they wouldn't do an in-person lottery for some portion of the tickets.

I've been reading a lot of Rockies fans say they have the worst ownership of any team in Denver, and that this is just another reason why.

Amending my opinion stated in the now closed thread (thanks a lot, presumably al) where I stated I thought this would be a sweep or go the distance

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards this being a seven game home-and-home series

Guest Gym Class Fallout

The Yankees docked salaries for their hotel expenses, such as beer, room service, and pay-per-view movies ostensibly of the "All Asian Invasion" ilk. Joe Torre was especially targeted, I guess.

In preparation, ten facts about the Colorado Rockies.

1. Todd Helton is the highest paid player in the National League. His .332 career batting average is second only to Ichiro Suzuki among active players.

2. The Rockies' offense looks strong because of their home environment. In reality, the team's strength is in their pitching and defense.

3. The Rockies' relief core is particularly strong, with Manuel Corpas earning strong marks as a future elite closer. Jorge Julio got his act together, posting a 3.93 ERA with the Rockies. The Rockies also have two strong lefties in Brian Fuentes and Jeremy Affeldt sitting in the 'pen.

4. The Rockies' four starters are Jeff Francis, Ubaldo Jimenez, Josh Fogg and Aaron Cook. Cook's career ERA with the Rockies in a six-year career is 4.47. He is an extreme groundball pitcher.

5. More importantly, this places Franklin Morales in the bullpen. Morales struck out 462 batters in 428 minor league innings, and is only 21 years old.

6. Matt Holliday is the likely MVP of the National League.

7. Brad Hawpe has the best throwing arm in baseball, reputed as better than even Shane Victorino.

8. Particularly good on defense are shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and Willy Taveras. Unlike Juan Pierre, Taveras carried a respectable OBP this season. Todd Helton has multiple gold glove awards to his credit.

9. The Rockies led the league in attendance their first seven years. Their mark of 4,483,350 total attendance in 1993 is an MLB record. The next year their per-game attendance of 56,094 is a record as well.

10. Park effects in Coors Field have come down, perhaps as a result of the humidor. It is still however the most hitter friendly ballpark in the Majors.

There are some major pitching problems creeping up for the Red Sox in this series. Tim Wakefield was left off the World Series roster due to an injury in his right shoulder. This effectively leaves the team without a 4th starter. They've started the process of stretching Jon Lester out to be the game 4 starter. However, it is unlikely that he could go more than 4 innings. Buchholz hasn't pitched in 3 weeks and is completely unavailable and Beckett can't go on short rest because it puts Schilling on 3 days for game 5.

Compounding the problem is the fact that there's about a 60% chance of rain tonight in Boston. If Game 1 gets called, they lose the off day on Friday and would therefore need a 5th starter as well. That man could be Kyle Snyder. If that's the case, congrats to your 2007 WS Champs, the Colorado Rockies.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Uh oh.

So, where shall running game chats be held? TSM official chat, or AIM: "tsmbaseball" or "hello" or perhaps "hey"? It's probably best to have a baseball chat without randoms, though maybe having a person named "cumtaster87" might be just the right diversion during a lapse in action.

Uh oh.

So, where shall running game chats be held? TSM official chat, or AIM: "tsmbaseball" or "hello" or perhaps "hey"?

I don't use AIM, but I guess I could give it a try if that's the consensus.

Guest Smues

The National League hasn't won at least two world series in a row since 1979-1982. Damn it's been a long time.

I didnt realize it but the Broncos are playing a home MNF game opposite Game 5 (if necessary of course).

There are some major pitching problems creeping up for the Red Sox in this series. Tim Wakefield was left off the World Series roster due to an injury in his right shoulder. This effectively leaves the team without a 4th starter. They've started the process of stretching Jon Lester out to be the game 4 starter. However, it is unlikely that he could go more than 4 innings. Buchholz hasn't pitched in 3 weeks and is completely unavailable and Beckett can't go on short rest because it puts Schilling on 3 days for game 5.

Compounding the problem is the fact that there's about a 60% chance of rain tonight in Boston. If Game 1 gets called, they lose the off day on Friday and would therefore need a 5th starter as well. That man could be Kyle Snyder. If that's the case, congrats to your 2007 WS Champs, the Colorado Rockies.

Snyder is even less stretched out than Lester. Why Julian Tavarez was left off the roster, I've no idea. He's got to be hurt.

My guess is that Julian Tavarez has an injury or is completely burnt out from his increased workload this year. He pitched only eight innings from September 1 on (allowing 7 ER) and was left off all three postseason rosters. There's just no reason that they'd compeltely forget about him if he was available and ready to go.

In preparation, ten facts about the Colorado Rockies.

1. Todd Helton is the highest paid player in the National League. His .332 career batting average is second only to Ichiro Suzuki among active players.

2. The Rockies' offense looks strong because of their home environment. In reality, the team's strength is in their pitching and defense.

3. The Rockies' relief core is particularly strong, with Manuel Corpas earning strong marks as a future elite closer. Jorge Julio got his act together, posting a 3.93 ERA with the Rockies. The Rockies also have two strong lefties in Brian Fuentes and Jeremy Affeldt sitting in the 'pen.

4. The Rockies' four starters are Jeff Francis, Ubaldo Jimenez, Josh Fogg and Aaron Cook. Cook's career ERA with the Rockies in a six-year career is 4.47. He is an extreme groundball pitcher.

5. More importantly, this places Franklin Morales in the bullpen. Morales struck out 462 batters in 428 minor league innings, and is only 21 years old.

6. Matt Holliday is the likely MVP of the National League.

7. Brad Hawpe has the best throwing arm in baseball, reputed as better than even Shane Victorino.

8. Particularly good on defense are shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and Willy Taveras. Unlike Juan Pierre, Taveras carried a respectable OBP this season. Todd Helton has multiple gold glove awards to his credit.

9. The Rockies led the league in attendance their first seven years. Their mark of 4,483,350 total attendance in 1993 is an MLB record. The next year their per-game attendance of 56,094 is a record as well.

10. Park effects in Coors Field have come down, perhaps as a result of the humidor. It is still however the most hitter friendly ballpark in the Majors.

Where are the ten facts about the Boston Red Sox? They deserve equal time in this thread, dammit.

I don't want to go as far as to make a prediction for the Series because there is far too much randomness in the baseball playoffs. However, after reviewing the two teams, I am confident in saying that Red Sox have the superior hitting, starting and relief pitching, defense and manager. The talent gap between the two should be enough for Boston to prevail, although there advantages in the aforementioned categories are smaller than you might expect.

I do think for the first time in quite a few years we are getting the best team in the AL and the best team in the NL in the World Series. I expect some very good, close games. Both teams are great on the pitching and defense side, which should create some exciting, well-played baseball. No station to station, three-run jacks dominating this matchup.

The Rockies have the better pitching, better lineup 1-9, and better defense. It's really going to depend on how Beckett does on his starts, and how well Ortiz and Ramirez hit.