TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2007 World Series

The Rockies have the better pitching, better lineup 1-9, and better defense. It's really going to depend on how Beckett does on his starts, and how well Ortiz and Ramirez hit.

Curious as to what you are basing these statements on.

Hitting: Boston has a team OPS+ of 107 compared to Colorado's 103.

Pitching: Boston wins again with a team ERA+ of 123 to Colorado's 111.

Relief Pitching: Boston second in WXRL (win expect. from relief pitching). Colorado was 23rd.

Defense: Boston ranked second in all of baseball in Defensive Effeciency (turning batted balls into outs). Colorado was eighth.

The Postseason Odds from BP have Boston with a 59% chance of winning. Secret Sauce (a mix of stats that correlate with postseason success) also show Boston to have a distinct advantage.

There is no statistical category that I could find that the Rockies had an advantage in. However, the margins are close enough that Colorado could easily win with the right breaks.

Boston also plays with a DH. So their OPS+ of 107 is helped with the DH, as well as having Ortiz and Manny. Like I said 1-9, they have a better lineup.

The other two, I'm pretty sure Colorado had like the best 2nd half pitching in baseball, while Boston had Matzusaka, Wakefield, Okajima, and Gagne breaking down.

As for defense, Colorado plays in Coors Field, a tougher place to play defense in, and they've excelled.

As for defense, Colorado plays in Coors Field, a tougher place to play defense in, and they've excelled.

I'd argue that Boston is just as tough, if not tougher, to play defense in than Coors Field. Joe Sheehan basically confirmed this statement on the ESPN Hot List today when saying that despite the good fielding percentage from Colorado this year, Boston had the better park adjusted defensive efficiency this season.

Maybe so, but when they get to Coors, Boston's defense or offense won't be as good, while Colorado remains the same at both stadiums.

OPS+ shouldn't be affected by the DH. If anything, it makes the OPS more impressive because it's compared to a higher league average.

Offense: Clear advantage for Boston.

Starting Pitching: Josh Beckett is the best starter on either side. Colorado has the advantage of depth, with four competent starters ready to go and a fifth sitting in the bullpen.

Relief Pitching: Even. Red Sox have Papelbon, Rockies have Manuel Corpas. The Red Sox' lefty reliever is Hideki Okajima, while the Rockies have Brian Fuentes. The X factor is what Franklin Morales does to the Rockies bullpen. He throws mid-90s and was one of the top pitching prospects coming into this season.

Defense: I worry about Boston. Manny Ramirez is not the kind of player you want patrolling the Coors outfield. And if they play Ortiz, they'll sacrifice defense there. The Sox have excellent defense at third, shortstop and center field. The Rockies are excellent at short, center, right and first base. I think the Rockies have the edge here. How else did their pitchers perform so well across the board? This factor is even in Fenway Park, advantage Rockies in Coors.

Manager: I personally think Clint Hurdle plays too much smallball for Coors Field. Otherwise no opinion.

One note on this series, these two teams play in the most extreme parks of their leagues. Home field advantage is very important.

Maybe so, but when they get to Coors, Boston's defense or offense won't be as good, while Colorado remains the same at both stadiums.

I dunno, that depends on how Colorado's outfielders are able to handle balls off the Monster and in the alleys with all those weird angles. If a ball gets past Hawpe in right, that's an easy double/triple.

I dunno, that depends on how Colorado's outfielders are able to handle balls off the Monster and in the alleys with all those weird angles. If a ball gets past Hawpe in right, that's an easy double/triple.

You sure? Hawpe has the best throwing arm in baseball.

If Beckett wins, where does he rank among all-time postseason pitchers? At this point, I can't place him any lower than sixth.

Guest Smues

So if anyone steals a base anytime this series Taco Bell gives away a taco to everyone in the U.S? Wierd. Last year it was something like a Tiger had to hit a homerun in game 3 or something like that that didn't happen. I guess they really want to get everyone in their restaurant. Of course last year I read the fine print and Alaska didn't apply, so it's probably the same this year. Bastards.

AIM chat at TSM Baseball.

Anyone else find it a little disconcerting that during the anthem, the television station is hard at work getting the right camera angles? Something about it doesn't seem right. Having cameramen on field in general really makes things less genuine.

Guest Smues

I have gameday up and noticed no action yet so I had just assumed rain or something. I really hate when they list the official start time on the website as 8EST, and they mean 8:35. Bastards.

Guest Smues

Smues still at work. I demand this game not start until 6:30 AST! I'll hop in after the office closes at 5.

Ugh, fuck Bud Selig. Who starts the World Series at 8:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night? This schedule just completely disregards anyone who has to be productive in the morning.

Amen. For those of you on the west coast who say "quit yer bitchin", imagine you have to wake up at 3am tomorrow morning.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

wait, we need Bruiser Chong in here too, which means I get to say

Cheech and Chong to chat!

Holy shit this inning is still going? I ate a burrito, read a couple threads here, watched some Hellraiser on AMC and switched back and it's still bottom of the fifth with 2 outs. When was the last out, 20 minutes ago?