TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Alex Rodriguez to opt out of Yankees Contract

I don't like A-Rod, at all, but anyone who says they flat out don't want him on their team is nuts.

That being said I would prefer keeping Lowell here. If the Sox were to seriously persue the douchebag I wouldn't bitch much because bottom line the guy produces, chemistry be damned.

If the Red Sox are going to spend $25+ million per year for 6-8 years, they should trade Lester, Buchholz/Masterson and Crisp to Minnesota based on a successful extension for Santana.

How did people feel about A-Rod making this announcement during Game 4 of the World Series? Ruffle anybody else's feathers that he couldn't wait a day or two?

How did people feel about A-Rod making this announcement during Game 4 of the World Series? Ruffle anybody else's feathers that he couldn't wait a day or two?

It was a complete A-Rod move. Every time he tries to save face with the media, he does something to completely fuck it up. First off, he skips the presentation of the Hank Aaron award because he doesn't want to detract from his rivals potentially winning the World Series. Somehow he thinks this will look good instead of making him appear as a self-absorbed jackass. Second, he makes his big announcement during the game to steal every headline at a major moment. He has no sense of timing or understanding how the public will react to his moves.

If the Red Sox are going to spend $25+ million per year for 6-8 years, they should trade Lester, Buchholz/Masterson and Crisp to Minnesota based on a successful extension for Santana.

It smacks of self-promotion and attention whoring, and I don't even watch baseball avidly... or at all.

Six months ago I would have said that the Red Sox would do everything in their power to sign Alex Rodriguez, but today I'd say that the chances are less than 50%. And it's not necessarily because I think Lowell is a better option. In fact, I'm not sold on him returning next year. However, I do think that this postseason affirms that they don't need a superstar at third to continue this run. A trade for Eric Chavez or Adrian Beltre makes a great deal more sense.

That being said, the Sox will likely be in on a Santana or Miggy Cabrera sweepstakes if those two become available. That just seems like something that would fit their philosophy better than breaking the bank on a player that the fans, clubhouse and local media might not be ready to accept.

Guest MRK

Fuck him! Let him go to the Dodgers, the Giants or the Angels. He was never a Yankee and never will be. He's a selfish fuck just like Bonds and Griffey Jr.

Let him go to Frisco. He can have all the old men to rub him down at a park all he wants.

a-rod.jpg

By the way, what's the deal with Michael Kay? I was listening in on his radio show this afternoon and he said that if the Sox signed A-Rod they'd have him to play him at SS because Lugo is a terrible defender. What? I know Lugo had a bad year offensively, but he's still a good, borderline great defensive SS.

Then he followed that up by saying he could go to the Mets because David Wright is a 1B masquerading as a 3B. Once again, David Wright is one of the better defensive 3B in the NL. By the way, A-Rod himself isn't exactly a dynamo with the glove anymore. What exactly is this guy basing his assumptions on?

Announcing the decision right before Game 4 was a calculated move. What purpose it serves I couldn't say, I'm not a P.R. expert. But it's designed from that angle and not just a random shot by a classless individual.

For the Yankees, it amuses me when you try and win a championship with hired mercenaries and then bitch when one of those mercenaries leaves for more money.

Fuck him! Let him go to the Dodgers, the Giants or the Angels. He was never a Yankee and never will be. He's a selfish fuck just like Bonds and Griffey Jr.

Let him go to Frisco. He can have all the old men to rub him down at a park all he wants.

a-rod.jpg

Like most Yankee fans here, you haven't done yourself any favors or even presented a legitimate and formidable defense against Rodriguez. What's the point of arbitrarily dropping Griffey into that sophomoric blast?

About a year ago I said if I were the Sox I'd rather have Lowell at third base than A-Rod. I was laughed at. I may still be laughed at, but I still feel the same way. Chemistry is very important in team sports and as soon as you bring A-Rod on you introduce a cancer to the locker room. Lowell produces in the post season, the regular season, and he's unselfish and not a distraction to the team. A-Rod produces in the regular season but shuts down come October. The Red Sox would be fools to pursue that money grubbing, self promoting piece of trash. I think the Red Sox office has made some stupid moves in recent years (Edgar Rentaria, that Japanese relief pitcher from Arizona, Jeff Suppan, JD Drew not withstanding what he did in the post season, etc) but injecting A-Rod into this team at this time would take the cake. I have faith that they're not stupid enough to do that.

About a year ago I said if I were the Sox I'd rather have Lowell at third base than A-Rod. I was laughed at. I may still be laughed at, but I still feel the same way. Chemistry is very important in team sports and as soon as you bring A-Rod on you introduce a cancer to the locker room. Lowell produces in the post season, the regular season, and he's unselfish and not a distraction to the team. A-Rod produces in the regular season but shuts down come October. The Red Sox would be fools to pursue that money grubbing, self promoting piece of trash. I think the Red Sox office has made some stupid moves in recent years (Edgar Rentaria, that Japanese relief pitcher from Arizona, Jeff Suppan, JD Drew not withstanding what he did in the post season, etc) but injecting A-Rod into this team at this time would take the cake. I have faith that they're not stupid enough to do that.

Even today, given everything that has gone down since 2004, I don't know how you could make the argument that you'd rather have Lowell over A-Rod given the option between the two. When you start talking contracts and payroll flexibility I can see the reluctance, but not a pure talent basis. Lowell has never been the player A-Rod is and he never will be.

It's been discussed time and again, but there is no real evidence that A-Rod can't perform in the postseason. He has some abysmal postseason performances and some okay, but there is no reason to believe that he lacks the innate ability to come through. It's a reflection of small sample size and ridiculous expectations that have clouded the general judgment of his postseason results.

Chemistry plays a role in the dynamic of any team, but it's an immeasurable quality and there is no way to say with any confidence that having Lowell around made this team better. In fact, it's almost silly to suggest such a thing. Winning promotes happiness. What makes you think that a downgrade in character would outweight the vast performance upgrade in a Lowell to A-Rod swap?

Guest thehartfoundation

Here's hoping that he comes back home to South Beach. We need at least one good sports team down here, right now the Phins, Canes, Cats, and Heat all suck.

Crap double post.

Guest thehartfoundation
I guess thehartfoundation wants him in Miami. A quadruple post denotes he means business.

haha my bad.

Ok, so A-Rod would bring more offense to the table than Lowell. Have the Red Sox shown that they are lacking for offense at this point in time? As for defense, I'll take Lowell any time.

Ok, so A-Rod would bring more offense to the table than Lowell. Have the Red Sox shown that they are lacking for offense at this point in time? As for defense, I'll take Lowell any time.

The Red Sox had a good offense this year. They were third in the American League in runs scored, but when you factor in ballpark effects (Fenway was the #1 hitter's park in MLB this year), you get something a little closer to average. As a patient OBP-driven team, they can make short work of bad pitching, but tend to struggle against more patient throwers. One way to address this might be the acquisition of some power in the latter part of the lineup. An upgrade to A-Rod certainly does that.

Overall, while I'm not advocating a pursuit of A-Rod, I hope fans don't get overly attached to Mike Lowell. He's a 34-year old 3B who just had a career year in a contract season. His numbers, while good, were inflated by a ridiculous second half BABIP that is not sustainable. His defense is okay, but declining quickly. He rarely gets to any balls outside of his zone anymore. I'd like to have him back, but it's not worth breaking the bank because of some emotional tie. There are other options out there.

If he can be had for 2 years, $26 million with a vesting or team option for a third, that's great. I don't suspect that to be the case. He'll get four years guaranteed from LAD, Philly or New York and that'll be it for Lowell. He deserves the big payday though, so no hard feelings if this is how things play out.

I'm happy, and honestly, kind of relieved to see A-Rod go. The guy is an amazing baseball player, and I hold no ill-will towards him, but his tenure here was frustrating. He put up amazing stats, and hes going to continue to put up those stats, but he would develop a full head of steam during the regular season and coast into the doldrums once the playoffs started. This wasn't just an Alex Rodriguez problem, (especially this year) other players had post-season slumps, but he became the figurehead of an expensive, stagnant, boring era of Yankee mediocrity. I know mediocrity seems like an ignorant thing to say, considering they made the playoffs every year Rodriguez was here, but its all contextual. When you're spending that much money on coaches and players, simply making the play-offs is mediocrity. If Kansas City spent $200 million and didn't win their league, they'd be disapointing. Coupled with the departure of Joe Torre, we're entering an exciting new era. I don't think the Yankees are going to stop signing free-agents, but the focus seems to be inward. There are a bunch of exciting young players and a new manager with a vote of confidence from ownership and a history of doing great things with good, young players. The loss of A-Rod takes us farther away from a World Series ring, but when you've got 26 of them sometimes you just want some substance.

And quit ragging on A-Rod. AlKeiper is right. You can't be surprised when mercenary players do things in the interest of money. Fans at Yankee Stadium booed A-Rod, he doesn't owe the fans anything. He should go out and get what he can get. I think it'd be funny if the bottom dropped out of the market and A-Rod ended up losing money, but I don't think thats happening.

Another note here, what specifically has Rodriguez done to be a clubhouse cancer? He makes a lot of money? He wasn't even the highest paid player on his team (Jason Giambi was). He only made a million more than Derek Jeter, who performed terribly in the postseason. Rodriguez doesn't get into fistfights with teammates, doesn't break team rules, doesn't mouth off to the media. The only evidence there is that he's highly paid, and the conception that superstar = problem. Todd Helton was the NL's highest paid player, so money doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

He was actually well liked. He, Cano, Abreu, and Melky were always on the bench laughing it up. They even had a dance and everything.

Another note here, what specifically has Rodriguez done to be a clubhouse cancer? He makes a lot of money? He wasn't even the highest paid player on his team (Jason Giambi was). He only made a million more than Derek Jeter, who performed terribly in the postseason. Rodriguez doesn't get into fistfights with teammates, doesn't break team rules, doesn't mouth off to the media. The only evidence there is that he's highly paid, and the conception that superstar = problem. Todd Helton was the NL's highest paid player, so money doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think Rodriguez is a cancer, only a symbol. A powerful symbol. I'll be happy to see Giambi come off the books, too, by the way.

Most of the time when a player makes a lot of money and has a tenuous relationship with the media he gets labeled as a "cancer." Most sportswriters default to that angle when the player gets paid and the team doesn't have the success to go with it. Last summer when JD Drew signed with Boston I kept hearing about Drew being a cancer and always chasing the money. A little reseach on my part showed that he just happened to be a good, stay at home family man. The writers just disliked him because of the Philly contract thing and the fact that he treats baseball as a business instead of as a game.

He should go out and get what he can get. I think it'd be funny if the bottom dropped out of the market and A-Rod ended up losing money, but I don't think thats happening.

There might be more to this than you think. We have continuously heard since last offseason that A-Rod would get $30-$40 million a year as a free agent. But what evidence do we have that some team will actually pay that amount? Giambi was the highest paid player in baseball at $23 million last year. The highest paid non-Yankee was Many Ramirez at a little over $17 million. I think we all like to extrapolate a contract value based on last year's crazy free agent market, but at the end of the day we still need a team to destroy everything we know about free agent contracts to get A-Rod into that territory.

I don't know why we should price escalation in free agent contracts to be linear. The diminishing marginal value for teams that have high payrolls might exclude them from going above and beyond for his services. Last year's biggest contracts have AAVs approaching $18 million. Perhaps that's the highest the market will bear and any bids will start with that as a baseline.

Or I coud just be looking at this too logically and A-Rod gets a $350 million ten-year contract.

Guest Smues

I don't doubt that A-rod can get another huge contract, or that he's worth it. It just seems so wierd to me that he signed the biggest contract in American professional sports SEVEN years ago, and now he's seven years older and yet he might sign an even bigger deal.