TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/20 - 11/24

And that USC wouldn't lose the Stanford game if Booty wasn't so insistent on staying in despite having a fucked up finger.

That decision falls on Pate Carroll. Who admitted screwing up not putting Sanchez in that game.

I pray to God that West Virginia loses next week. I don't believe Missouri's going to get past Oklahoma.

You're asking for something that is less likely than the Knicks winning a NBA Title in the next decade. If WVU decides to play up to the level they played to yesterday afternoon, it's going to be a 70-10 affair.

So if every higher ranked team in every relevant game wins next week, which won't happen but just humor me for a second, here are your likely BCS pairings.

BCS: West Virginia vs. Missouri

Rose: Ohio State vs. USC

Sugar: LSU vs. Hawaii

Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Georgia

Fiesta: Kansas vs. Arizona State

ABC Still has the rights to the Rose Bowl which looks to be the best matchup of the bunch..so in that scenario, FOX is screwed. The games may be good but still, its going to be really hard to hype WVU/Missouri other than with the whole "Improbable Championship Runs" theme, and even then I think WVU was a good outside shot at a National Championship when the season started...

WVU vs. Missouri would be a much, much better game than something like WVU vs. Ohio St. would be. It's certainly interesting and different, which is something that college football needs in a big way.

I'm happy for WVU in a way but it's sort of bittersweet to see this as a U of L fan. I think last year's U of L team was better than this WVU team, but because they lost in Sept. rather than in Nov. they get a shot at the title.

Coaches Poll is out. And here it is.

1. West Virginia (37) 10-1 1,467 3

2. Missouri (17) 11-1 1,454 4

3. Ohio State (6) 11-1 1,383 5

4. Georgia 10-2 1,232 7

T5. Kansas 11-1 1,161 2

T5. Virginia Tech 10-2 1,161 8

7. LSU 10-2 1,134 1

8. Oklahoma 10-2 1,126 9

9. Southern California 9-2 1,073 12

10. Hawaii 11-0 958 13

11. Florida 9-3 898 14

12. Boston College 10-2 861 16

13. Arizona State 9-2 756 6

14. Illinois 9-3 674 18

15. Tennessee 9-3 654 19

16. Wisconsin 9-3 493 20

17. Clemson 9-3 469 22

18. Texas 9-3 417 11

19. Brigham Young 9-2 327 23

20. Oregon 8-3 316 10

T21. Auburn 8-4 271 25

T21. Virginia 9-3 271 15

23. Boise State 10-2 247 17

24. Cincinnati 9-3 146 NR

25. Arkansas 8-4 145 NR

Dropped out

No. 21 Connecticut (9-3, lost to then-No. 3 West Virginia 66-21), No. 24 Texas Tech (8-4, idle).

Others receiving votes

Texas Tech (8-4) 116; South Florida (9-3) 100; Connecticut (9-3) 54; Air Force (9-3) 41; Penn State (8-4) 19; Central Florida (9-3) 18; Michigan (8-4) 17; Wake Forest (8-4) 9; Oregon State (7-4) 7; Rutgers (7-4) 6; Mississippi State (7-5) 4; Oklahoma State (6-6) 4; Michigan State (7-5) 3; Troy (8-3) 3; Houston (8-4) 2; Tulsa (9-3) 2; Fresno State (7-4) 1.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/f...atpoll.htm

Considering teams like Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, LSU, and even USC (though a longshot) have games to play next weekend, I don't think Georgia has a shot at the title game. If WVU and Mizzou loses somehow, one of those teams would leap Georgia and play Ohio State in the title game.

That poll was the end for USC, and any other 2 loss team besides Georgia and Oklahoma. Better now than later.

I don't think there's any way Georgia goes to the championship game. The voters have no problem putting them high now when it doesn't mean much (they are getting an at-large bid for sure), but I think there would be a lot of "strategic voting" to move Georgia down if it looked like they could possibly play for the championship.

I'd say the chances of a 2-loss team making it are:

1. Oklahoma

big gap here, for Oklahoma to win and miss out on a top-3 position (pending WVU) would require an incredibly ugly Big-12 championship game, and some absolute shit-kickings delivered by the teams below

2. LSU (would jump Virginia Tech if it was between those two due to their head-to-head)

t3. USC

t3. Virginia Tech (don't see much difference between these two, Tech is higher now though so they are in better shape)

5. Georgia

AP Top 25 (I know it doesn't factor into the BCS anymore)

1. Missouri (45) 11-1 1,604

2. West Virginia (20) 10-1 1,574

3. Ohio State 11-1 1,469

4. Georgia 10-2 1,354

5. LSU 10-2 1,269

6. Virginia Tech 10-2 1,266

7. Kansas 11-1 1,217

8. USC 9-2 1,212

9. Oklahoma 10-2 1,191

10. Florida 9-3 1,029

11. Hawaii 11-0 991

12. Boston College 10-2 909

13. Arizona State 9-2 826

14. Tennessee 9-3 746

15. Illinois 9-3 719

16. Clemson 9-3 553

17. Texas 9-3 435

18. Oregon 8-3 419

19. Wisconsin 9-3 398

20. Cincinnati 9-3 343

21. Brigham Young 9-2 329

22. Virginia 9-3 288

23. Auburn 8-4 226

24. Boise State 10-2 197

25. South Florida 9-3 190

Others Receiving Votes

Arkansas 138, Texas Tech 119, Connecticut 41, Michigan 19, Air Force 19, Kentucky 13, UCF 11, Oregon State 5, TROY 3, Tulsa 1, Wake Forest 1, Penn State 1.

Dropped From Rankings

Connecticut 20.

That's odd...I knew something had to be up but the records were correct (I was afraid it was some weird-ass voting system).

It's edited out now.

So Tebow has a broken right hand, and played the majority of the second half yesterday with it. I wonder how or if this might affect his chances for the Heisman. Should still be good for the bowl game from what I read.

So Tebow has a broken right hand, and played the majority of the second half yesterday with it. I wonder how or if this might affect his chances for the Heisman. Should still be good for the bowl game from what I read.

I don't see why it would since he's not playing in the SEC championship game.

BCS Rankings

1. Missouri

2. West Virginia

3. Ohio State

4. Georgia

5. Kansas

6. Virginia Tech

7. LSU

8. USC

9. Oklahoma

10. Florida

11. Boston College

12. Hawaii

13. Arizona State

14. Tennessee

15. Illinois

16. Clemson

17. Oregon

18. Wisconsin

19. BYU

20. Texas

21. South Florida

22. Virginia

23. Cincinnati

24. Auburn

25. Boise State

Well, Tennessee is the only team that could move ahead of Hawaii with a win over LSU, but that would knock LSU out of possible BCS contention anyway. So yeah it looks like Hawaii is in with a win over Washington....but just to remind everyone Washington did beat Boise St. this year by 14.

I would have kept Kansas a little higher, certainly higher than a 2 loss UGA. Georgia has turned it on late this year, but 4 seems too high for a team that lost to Tennessee by 21. I would have just switched Kansas to where Missouri was last week. Thus if somehow both Mizzou and WVU both lost you'd still have OSU vs. Kansas in a battle of 11-1 teams.

I would have kept Kansas a little higher, certainly higher than a 2 loss UGA. Georgia has turned it on late this year, but 4 seems too high for a team that lost to Tennessee by 21. I would have just switched Kansas to where Missouri was last week. Thus if somehow both Mizzou and WVU both lost you'd still have OSU vs. Kansas in a battle of 11-1 teams.

No. Kansas shouldn't get rewarded for not playing anyone all year, then losing to the only decent team on their schedule.

I'm just saying, that's all. What makes Georgia so special that they should be #4 and the best 2 loss team? Are they really any better than LSU, VT, BC, USC, etc.? If by some chance both Mizzou and WVU lose putting UGA in the title game is basically saying "Ah hell, we gotta put someone in here...."

Is putting Kansas #4 exactly rewarding them? Chances are it won't even matter anyway. Besides that idea isn't as radical as a friend of mine who insists that Hawaii should be in the national title game if they are undefeated. Hawaii with a SOS of 106, haha.

I agree with your general point. If WVU and Missouri both lose, there will be a firestorm of controversy, because there's no real way to distinguish between at least a half-dozen teams, probably closer to a dozen.

I am so praying for a Tenneesee and Arizona State losses just to see a slight chance of Illinois playing in a BCS bowl game

Virginia Tech above LSU...there's something kind of wrong about that, and it rhymes with "48-7."

Pretty amazing that all the losses have all but ensured Georgia gets an automatic BCS bid by finishing in the top 4. The same could be true for Kansas should Missouri or (especially) WVU lose. Kansas played a good game last night, but in my opinion they should be no higher than 10th. It'll be very interesting to see what happens should Missouri lose to OU next week. I'd hope the voters would keep them above KU.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face
I am so praying for a Tenneesee and Arizona State losses just to see a slight chance of Illinois playing in a BCS bowl game

Fuck that. I want the red-faced dopes of Illini Nation to lose out, even though their football program isn't quite as odious as the basketball side of things. Where's the Chief?

Fuck that. I want the red-faced dopes of Illini Nation to lose out, even though their football program isn't quite as odious as the basketball side of things. Where's the Chief?

What's wrong with Illinois? Though no I don't really want Illinois to make a BCS bowl game because they'd probably end up facing LSU in the Sugar Bowl and Kurt Kittner could tell you what a bad idea that is for the Illini.

Illinois needs Ohio State to get into the title game as if they were to end up in the Top 14 the Rose Bowl will take them as the Buckeyes' replacement.