TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

The best thing about MMA

It can only be one thing. Could be a particular fight, maybe a submission technique, hell it could be the UFC's new ring girl. To you, right now what's the most awesomest bestest thing about MMA ?

I'm going to go with Anderson Silva and his Path of Destruction. With GSP being inactive and batting .500 this year, Fedor in limbo and Shogun coming off a loss Anderson has kneed his way into my heart by not only being the most lethal motherfucker in all of MMA but also by doing it in style. The humble apologies to Franklin after housing him in front of his hometown crowd cinched it.

Seeing a shitload of the smaller promotions on The Fight Network is a great thing for me. Which of course leads to a Bad Thing - way too many airings of "So You Wanna Fight".

I guess that's not truly MMA though. So let's go with all the upsets this year, which while not good for creating definitive champs (excluding Silva and Randy, of course) or #1 contenders, gives you that "any given Saturday" feel to it.

I totally agree with your first point. Seeing the earlier TKO shows (especially when they allowed the four-point attack) is great, ditto for promotions like Mecca, Hook and Shoot and HCF though that's shown on The Score but I assume you get SportsNet as well.

Oh yeah. Got the the Ultimate Package at Starchoice. I'm considering paying for the HDNEt/A&E/Discovery HD package as well but it's probably not happening as long as my daughter keeps soiling 8 diapers a day (Pampers cost a lot, you know)...

I'll actually second Curry's Anderson love. I've doubted the guy for a long time, but he's obviously worked hard to improve his game, and has absolutely demolished some very legit competition this year. Add in a level of sportsmanship that slowly seems to be dissapearing from the sport, and it's hard not to like the guy.

Also, previously written off gatekeepers Akitoshi Tamura & Takashi Nakakura coming out of nowhere to pwn their respective SHOOTO divisions.

I'll actually second Curry's Anderson love. I've doubted the guy for a long time, but he's obviously worked hard to improve his game, and has absolutely demolished some very legit competition this year. Add in a level of sportsmanship that slowly seems to be dissapearing from the sport, and it's hard not to like the guy.

I'll never forget you guys saying that Leben will beat Anderson by Lay and Pray, and you rocking a Richard Simmons AV because of it. Good times. :P

As for me? It's the fact that the UFC is signing the best MMA talent in the world right now, and we are finally getting able to see who is the best in the world. If only Fedor signed with the UFC, it would've made things perfect.

As a casual fan, I'll say Brock Lesnar. I have watched quite a few PPVs, as well as a few seasons of TUF. I usually go out of my way to watch a PPV if it catches my interest.. (My favourite fighters are on it, big title fight, etc)..

That said, I will go out of my way to watch Brock's debut, as I would love if he actually excelled in the sport. I probably speak for all casual fans who are also pro wrestling fans, so it was a smart move by them to sign him. Hopefully he doesn't get dominated though, as I'll lose all interest in him at that point.

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

Just all the stuff to look forward to in the coming months.

TUF every Wednesday, and the finale looks like an alright card.

UFC 79 has two intense matches that I've personally been looking forward to more than almost any other matches this year. Plus Soko...

Henderson vs A.Silva announced.

UFC 82, because it'll be my first live UFC card. Plus as a long time wrestling fan... Come on, Brock is interesting! (And someone tell me how long before the date the tickets go on sale!)

The WEC card on Dec 8th.

Almost gotta mark all this shit on my calendar to keep track of it.

Oh yeah. Got the the Ultimate Package at Starchoice. I'm considering paying for the HDNEt/A&E/Discovery HD package as well but it's probably not happening as long as my daughter keeps soiling 8 diapers a day (Pampers cost a lot, you know)...

Dude it's like $4.95 and it's totally awesome.

Oh, I was sold during the free previews, and Discovery HD is pretty sweet as well. It's probably happening once Sunday Ticket is done.

I have to also echo that I'll be watching Lesnar's UFC debut, and if he does well will probably start ordering UFC ppvs rather than looking for videos occasionally of mma, and watching the stuff on Showtime on occasion.

UFC 79 has two intense matches that I've personally been looking forward to more than almost any other matches this year. Plus Soko...

UFC 82, because it'll be my first live UFC card. Plus as a long time wrestling fan... Come on, Brock is interesting! (And someone tell me how long before the date the tickets go on sale!)

The WEC card on Dec 8th.

I'm blown away by your ability to completely miss the point of this thread.

The WEC card on Dec 8th.

I'm blown away by your ability to completely miss the point of this thread.

Idiot. He said what his favorite thing is, he just also listed the sub-topics related with it.

Hell, that's my favorite thing about MMA right now. It's that you've got all this shit coming up that's actually getting people hyped up for MMA / UFC.

Agreed. Rogan shooting his load all over them during the Lytle fight was tremendous. It's like, he saw Lytle throw a kick during the first round and inside was thinking "Damn it Thiago, you're better then this!" and when Alves turned the shit up in the second Joe Daddy was just blasting his love all over the place.

Agreed. Rogan shooting his load all over them during the Lytle fight was tremendous. It's like, he saw Lytle throw a kick during the first round and inside was thinking "Damn it Thiago, you're better then this!" and when Alves turned the shit up in the second Joe Daddy was just blasting his love all over the place.

There is only one Joe Daddy.

The growing fan base. I have only been purchasing MMA PPVs at my house for a little over a year and the bigger shows are already drawing more party animal fans to my house then even the Wrestlemania cards did in the WWE's hey day.

The small downside is that you get a lot of casual fans at first that are only interested in seeing vicious knockouts, but overall I have been pretty impressed at how most of the people I know go online and get pretty educated on the sport pretty fast. They all came to UFC 71 for the Main Event, and by about three shows later they were hyped for the entire cards, or at least most of the fights on the card.

Not to mention how a growing fan base will also help out smaller promotions as well, as the demand will outpace what UFC on it's own can produce.

The growing fan base...

nodog.jpg

I've mentioned this to YPOV (who hasn't experienced the same thing), but of all the new people watching MMA nowadays, I could honestly do without a majority of them. Most seem to fall into a mind-numbingly ignorant group who only follow the UFC yet can't even discuss that intelligently, but even worse is the influx of gym rats who think that a couple of months of BJJ or muay thai training and a Tapout shirt gives them free reign to declare themselves "cage fighters" (even worse are the few who actually HAVE had a few fights under their belt, who openly parade themselves as "21-0," as though anyone gives a shit that they beat up on Joe McScrub last weekend).

While I have tons of respect and admiration for most MMA fighters and am glad that they're starting to get the attention and (gradually) pay they deserve, the random assholes I see every weekend yelling about tapping out other bar patrons or fellow staff members have withered my joy a great deal.

(even worse are the few who actually HAVE had a few fights under their belt, who openly parade themselves as "21-0," as though anyone gives a shit that they beat up on Joe McScrub last weekend)

Exhibit A:

jasonbio.jpg

Jason Reinhardt

The majority I see are big (200+lbs) guys, but there have been some surreal moments, such as a 130lbs., 21 year old GrapplersQuest champion (who has never drank before) getting utterly wasted and challenging a bouncer twice his size to a fight.

"You ain't never had none of this!"