TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007

Was I just not paying attention previously or is this the first MNW where the set has the AWA, JCP, WCW, old WWF, SMW, WCCW, and old ECW logos between the Hogan and Sting posters? I know WCW and WWF were there before, but the others just seemed to really stand out for me this week.

The Meadowlands show is a nice little trip down memory lane...

Gary Cappetta is ring announcing (I had no idea he worked for the WWF back in the day), and Howard Finkel does color commentary with Gorilla...

Steve Lombardi wrestles as simply Steve Lombardi... but is hailed from Brooklyn as a sign of things to come...

Bobby Heenan wins a singles match!

The heat for JYD/Orndorff is great... that crowd hated Orndorff and was throwing stuff at him until JYD came out.

I need DVR or something. The old school cards are right up my alley as someone who admittedly grew up entirely on shitty early 90s WWF. But hell if I can actually make it through a complete show. By time I can skip past the first couple matches featuring top draws like Rene Goulet, Steve Lombardi and Moondog Rex, I've lost interest.

Guest Bigelow34
Was I just not paying attention previously or is this the first MNW where the set has the AWA, JCP, WCW, old WWF, SMW, WCCW, and old ECW logos between the Hogan and Sting posters? I know WCW and WWF were there before, but the others just seemed to really stand out for me this week.

I know they are using a different studio while they are revamping theirs, so maybe it is just the way they happened to arrange the pieces? I noticed it too.

3 more Shorties I think we'll be seeing after going through the photos on WWE.com again:

Warrior vs. Hogan

Bret vs. Austin (Mania 13)

Foley vs. Michaels (Mind Games) - I'm basing this one on a picture of Shawn coming out with the world title with an In Your House set in the background.

So 3 more matches many of us probably have on DVD. I can't fault them for that though.

The Meadowlands show is a nice little trip down memory lane...

Gary Cappetta is ring announcing (I had no idea he worked for the WWF back in the day), and Howard Finkel does color commentary with Gorilla...

Steve Lombardi wrestles as simply Steve Lombardi... but is hailed from Brooklyn as a sign of things to come...

Bobby Heenan wins a singles match!

The heat for JYD/Orndorff is great... that crowd hated Orndorff and was throwing stuff at him until JYD came out.

It's interesting about Heenan. A few months ago they showed a card from November 22, 1984 and he beat Salvatore Belladimo at MSG clean. Checking out some of the matches results from 1984, they seemed to be matching Heenan up with the A-list jobbers. He had recently debuted in the WWF on September 22, 1984, so this was probably a way to establish him more in the crowd. He wrestled a lot when he was in the WWF.

I loved hearing Monsoon put over Heenan's "impressive credentials" and ring work. A far cry from their days in the 90s where Monsoon would tell Heenan he never beat anyone and the only gold he had was in his teeth ("I'm not Japanese!").

Cappetta was to Vince Sr. as Finkel is to Vince Jr. Cappetta was there for years.

Heenan wrestled often throughout the 70s, and if you watch his matches he really was one of the best bump men in the business.

Agreed... he was bumping pretty well for S.D. Jones in the match featured.

Guest heyguesswhatidid
I loved hearing Monsoon put over Heenan's "impressive credentials" and ring work. A far cry from their days in the 90s where Monsoon would tell Heenan he never beat anyone and the only gold he had was in his teeth ("I'm not Japanese!").

I love Wrestlemania 8.

I loved Monsoon's rant on Heenan during the 1986 Year in Review Primetime after Heenan ran down Albano

"What have you done in 1986? Do you have any champions? No. Did you win Manager of the Year last year? No. Do you have any #1 contenders? No."

Heenan wrestled often throughout the 70s, and if you watch his matches he really was one of the best bump men in the business.

Agreed... he was bumping pretty well for S.D. Jones in the match featured.

Heenan took some sick bumps. It's not a surprise he hurt his neck.

But he was a trooper.

Just watched Hogan and Rock again...

I've seen this numerous times, but I'll never get over how much heat that match had. Say what you want about Hogan and all, but that was the definition of a "Wrestlemania" match.

I'm watching the Raw episode from 4/26/97. It reminded me of how much I missed Brian Pillman.

It's depressing to know that in the opening segment of Raw, 3/4 of the people involved (Pillman, Owen, and Bulldog) are dead.

I'm watching the Raw episode from 4/26/97. It reminded me of how much I missed Brian Pillman.

It's depressing to know that in the opening segment of Raw, 3/4 of the people involved (Pillman, Owen, and Bulldog) are dead.

Just thinking the same thing. Within six years, they were all dead.

The segment itself was pretty funny, with them all praying for Bret's recovery and for Austin to be helped. I've said it many times but I've always liked 1997 Austin better than 1998 Austin. Both were great but 97 Austin didn't play to the crowd. He didn't swill beer after matches. He was more heel than face and just a bad-***, nasty psycho.

HBK's gift is the 6 man tag from the David Von Erich Memorial Show at Texas Stadium. For those that don't know, it's Mike, Fritz and Kevin Von Erich vs. Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy and Buddy Roberts. Figured he would pick SOMETHING from Dallas.

See, I really disliked Austin circa 1997. Watching these old Raws on 24/7 is compelling stuff, but I have no idea who anyone was supposed to cheer in the Austin/Harts feud.

Note that when they shifted Austin from bitter, sociopathic redneck alcoholic to beer drinking, hard working redneck everyman (with some redeeming qualities) that's when the WWF started truly drawing money.

I love Austin's character now. He just has one goal in life, and that's to kick ass and fuck you if you get in his way. That final segment was terrific, especially Austin getting in Taker's face, only to get his ass kicked.

I don't get why they did Austin v. Taker anyway, given that they're barely building up

They cut this from Nitro-

- CHRIS BENOIT (w/ Woman) vs. LORD STEVEN REGAL

This starts off real good, but Kevin Sullivan, Jimmy Hart and Jacquelyn

run in before it can really go anywhere. Benoit is ready though, and he

and Sullivan two trade blows in the center of the ring. It spills to the

floor, where Jacquelyn jumps on Benoit's back. Meng comes out as well and

grabs Benoit with a "nerve hold" to the neck. No one can get Meng to

break the hold (Regal even tries, and gets swatted aside). Meng finally

releases the hold and walks off.

Benoit will face Meng in a "Death Match" at Slamboree.

Once again Steven Regal was legitimately cut open-by a headbutt from

Benoit I believe-and bled profusely. The last minute of the match the

camera pulled way back. (from the Slobberknocker Central recaps from back in the day)

That sucks, I really wanted to see that

Well, it was okay to do Austin vs. UT since Bret was selling the injury (or was he actually hurt?), Michaels was doing jack shit and wasn't "healthy" or whatever. Besides, the way it went down just furthered the Austin vs. Harts feud, didn't hurt Austin at all and didn't prevent him from drawing huge vs. UT a year later.

See, I really disliked Austin circa 1997. Watching these old Raws on 24/7 is compelling stuff, but I have no idea who anyone was supposed to cheer in the Austin/Harts feud.

Note that when they shifted Austin from bitter, sociopathic redneck alcoholic to beer drinking, hard working redneck everyman (with some redeeming qualities) that's when the WWF started truly drawing money.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on which Austin is best.

I have to admit though, I found the site of a little kid in the crowd to be wearing an Austin jersey to be distrubing. It just didn't seem right.

They cut this from Nitro-

- CHRIS BENOIT (w/ Woman) vs. LORD STEVEN REGAL

This starts off real good, but Kevin Sullivan, Jimmy Hart and Jacquelyn

run in before it can really go anywhere. Benoit is ready though, and he

and Sullivan two trade blows in the center of the ring. It spills to the

floor, where Jacquelyn jumps on Benoit's back. Meng comes out as well and

grabs Benoit with a "nerve hold" to the neck. No one can get Meng to

break the hold (Regal even tries, and gets swatted aside). Meng finally

releases the hold and walks off.

Benoit will face Meng in a "Death Match" at Slamboree.

Once again Steven Regal was legitimately cut open-by a headbutt from

Benoit I believe-and bled profusely. The last minute of the match the

camera pulled way back. (from the Slobberknocker Central recaps from back in the day)

That sucks, I really wanted to see that

well I guess they felt the talk of a "death match" involving Benoit was a bad idea, especially when woman was in his corner

Did anyone get Tribute to the Troops 2006? Because it wasn't listed on WWE.com's schedule and lasts until January 1st, and Cogeco doesn't have it here, I thought Sunflower may have made a typo and it was supposed to start on the 19th (and not the 9th).

However, zio tells me he has it... AND received an actual honest to God reply from WWE.com about missing the Monday Night Wars.

Guest Bigelow34

I got the Troops show. It popped up randomly over the past day or so, because it didn't come with the Wednesday update.