TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007

In a great bit of timing, the tights Marty wears in his match against Papa Shango on Prime Time are the same ones he wore Monday night against Kennedy.

Also, Louie Spicolli shows up as an enhancement guy against "El Matador" Tito Santana, and Dwayne "Gillberg" Gill is sporting one of the most God awful hair styles I've ever seen. I remember him being one of the usual jobbers, but damn... I don't remember that hair.

Guest Bigelow34

I thought that was good timing too RE: Jannetty's pants.

The Hart/Heenan confrontation definitely involved Flair, which was neat because I thought he amd Bret never really crossed paths again after Bret won the belt.

Watching the segment, I VAGUELY recall the "right fist / left fist" thing but yeah, I basically forgot all about that segment. Perfect making the save seems to set up an awesome tag match that never happened (did it?)

Heenan and King were great together.

But wow, this Primetime show is horrible except for the nostalgia factor. And why not just let Jannetty beat Papa Shango?

Pretty funny to see some continuity as Gene Okerlund says he still doesn't like Perfect, but gives him credit for always being right behind Flair and Ramon wherever they go.

Yeah, I found it odd that Gene didn't follow the normal pattern (which still seems to exist to this day!) of being like "hey that guy's a good guy now, he rocks!". He just out right says "I never really cared for the guy".

Yeah I too was baffled as to why Shango got that countout win. I can see the HBK run in but just do it after the match since Jannetty was being primed for the IC feud.

Vince made mention that Prime Time had 2 more shows to go but I could swear that they maybe did that one lame duck Dec. 28 show and then went dark for 2 weeks before they came back with Raw. Was there actually 1 PTW show in 1993, cause I don't recall it?

Yeah I too was baffled as to why Shango got that countout win. I can see the HBK run in but just do it after the match since Jannetty was being primed for the IC feud.

Vince made mention that Prime Time had 2 more shows to go but I could swear that they maybe did that one lame duck Dec. 28 show and then went dark for 2 weeks before they came back with Raw. Was there actually 1 PTW show in 1993, cause I don't recall it?

http://slashwrestling.com/monday/PTW.930104.final

Here's a recap of the last episode of Prime Time on January 4th, 1993 with featured bouts The Headshrinkers Vs Tito and Virgil and Shawn Michaels Vs Skinner for the WWF Intercontinental title..

Watching the segment, I VAGUELY recall the "right fist / left fist" thing but yeah, I basically forgot all about that segment. Perfect making the save seems to set up an awesome tag match that never happened (did it?)

3/4 of it did... Savage and Henning vs. Ramon and Flair a month earlier. Bret was busy defending the World Title against Shawn Michaels.

That recap of the last PTW made me realize there's probably a "Promotional Consideration Paid for by the Following" edited off of the PTW up right now, though it's fairly obvious why they can't run those.

Seeing Heenan declare he's out of a job at the announcement of Raw and reading about Vince saying Heenan wouldn't be on Raw in the last PTW episode help answer the question I've always had of why Heenan was banned from the building to begin with.

Oh hell yes. I very likely saw that Prime Time show when it aired in late 1992. I too was upset that the show was cancelled and things went dark for a couple of weeks and then Raw started. In fact when Raw first aired the only real complaint I had was that it was 1 hour instead of 2. I wanted more dammit!

Yeah, I remember being annoyed that there was only one hour of wrestling on Monday nights. Thankfully, Nitro would force the WWF to change that.

I know Hart and Hennig teamed up for some house shows in 1993.

This is so bizarre. I could have sworn that PTW was dropped in Dec. 1992 and that there was no Monday wrestling for a few weeks and then Raw picked up Jan. 11. And it wasn't that I just forgot to watch, I literally thought there was no show on Monday for a while.

I thought it was going to end up being Warrior vs Hogan, but I think that picture on WWE.com is referencing the match being on the History of the WWE Championship. Then again, they did double up on Savage vs Hogan.

You know, I saw a Slaughter/Hogan Desert Boot Camp match from 1991 and it had a few of the same spots as the Patterson match. I thought it was one of Hogan's best matches ever.

Guest heyguesswhatidid
You know whats gotta be the worst job in WWE? Being the schlep that has to go through every piece of tape and find every audio or video reference to WWF and block it out.

Yeah, but you get to see the unedited footage one last time.

Because I like doing it, that's why (since I'm the guy here doing it with the "WWF / BENOIT ALERT!" I'll assume it's a reference towards me, but I figure you mean it on a grander scale). I do it for fun, though - when Dave Scherer used to point out every typo or historically inaccurate piece of info on WWE.com he seemed to be doing it to make himself feel good about his awful website.

Some fresh meat for WWE 24/7 Online:

Raw: Episode 8

March 8, 1993 | Approx. run time: 29 mins.

Did you like the sexy ring girls from the first episodes of Raw? "The Model" Rick Martel certainly didn't. As Martel tries to get rid of the ladies, Mr. Perfect will try to continue his winning streak. Mr. Perfect and Rick Martel battle in a classic encounter and the World Tag Team Champions Money Inc. are in action as well. With WrestleMania around the corner, Ted DiBiase and I.R.S. will attempt to dominate their competition. Don't miss this episode of Raw!

Mr Perfect vs Rick Martel

El Matador & Virgil vs Money Inc

Tatanka, Papa Shango, & Bob Backlund in action

Raw: 1-Year Anniversary Special

January 10, 1994 | Approx. run time: 37 mins.

In light of Raw's 15th Anniversary, WWE 24/7 Online dug into the archives to find the One Year Anniversary Special of Raw. While a lot has changed in the 14 years since this special first aired, you can be sure it lives up to being Uncut, Uncooked and Uncensored! Definitely check out this rarely seen episode of Raw!

Tag Titles - Quebecers vs 1-2-3 Kid & Marty Jannetty

Bam Bam Bigelow vs Bastion Booger

Undertaker & Ludvig Borga in action

Royal Rumble: Cactus Jack vs. Triple H, Street Fight

January 28, 2000 | Approx. run time: 37 mins.

If there was ever any doubt Mick Foley was the Hardcore Legend, then you've never seen his Street Fight against Triple H. With the WWE Championship on the line, both Triple H and Cactus Jack were willing to pull out all the stops. With all the Hell in the Cell, "I Quit," and Hardcore Matches these two have been involved in, some fans were wondering if either Superstar would be able to walk out of Madison Square Garden when the match was over. This is one Street Fight you don't want to miss.

MSG: Pat Patterson vs. Sgt. Slaughter

May 4, 1981 | Approx. run time: 17 mins.

Anybody who said hardcore wrestling didn't exist until ECW was born didn't see Sgt. Slaughter and Pat Patterson tear it up all over the country in the early '80s. When the rules were thrown out, the battles would just begin between both of these Hall of Famers. While Patterson and Slaughter traded victories throughout the years, only one man will have his arm raised here; watch this match to find out who!

Armageddon: London & Kendrick vs. Hardys vs MNM vs. Regal & Taylor, Ladder Match

December 17, 2006 | Approx. run time: 28 mins.

Going into Armageddon, Paul London and Brian Kendrick thought they were defending the WWE Tag Team Championship in a one fall match against Dave Taylor and William Regal. Only moments before the match did General Manager Theodore Long inform the two teams that they would do battle in a Ladder Match. He also invited two additional teams to participate. With the addition of The Hardys and MNM, this match became what WWE fans considered one of the best matches in 2006.

Roddy Piper vs. Greg Valentine, Dog Collar Match

November 24, 1983 | Approx. run time: 20 mins.

Roddy Piper and Greg Valentine had one of the most popular rivalries in the NWA during the early '80s. In fact, their Dog Collar Match was one of the main events at the very first Starrcade. Not only was this a fantastic battle, but when you finish watching, you'll be shocked with how many different ways a dog collar can be used in one match!

Royal Rumble: John Cena vs. Umaga, Last Man Standing Match

January 28, 2007 | Approx. run time: 29 mins.

Can anything keep the Samoan Bulldozer, Umaga, down for ten seconds? John Cena hoped so when he defended his WWE Championship against Umaga in a Last Man Standing Match. With Umaga destroying opponents left and right, The Champ didn't seem like the favorite to win. Find out exactly what John Cena had to do to keep Umaga down for the ten-count.

ECW Hardcore Heaven: Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn

May 19, 1999 | Approx. run time: 25 mins.

If you ask any old school ECW fan his favorite match he'll tell you any time Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn faced each other. At Hardcore Heaven they didn't only wrestle an incredible match, but both Superstars found unique ways to take each other out with a chair. Check out this ECW classic!

Fall Brawl: The Hulkamaniacs vs. Dungeon of Doom, War Games Match

September 17, 1995 | Approx. run time: 25 mins.

Hulk Hogan in a Hardcore Match? You better believe it, brother! It was anything goes when the War Games cage was involved. The Dungeon of Doom had hoped that being locked up inside a cage would be the perfect opportunity to end Hulkamania. Did they get the job done, or did Hulkamania run wild at Fall Brawl?

WrestleMania 22: Undertaker vs. Mark Henry, Casket Match

April 1, 2006 | Approx. run time: 17 mins.

Undertaker has always been known to take on some of the biggest challengers in the WWE. However, when he put his WrestleMania streak on the line against the World's Strongest Man, Mark Henry in a Casket Match, may WWE fans questioned his motives. Was it even possible to get Mark Henry inside of a casket? The only way to find out is by checking this match out!

Can anything keep the Samoan Bulldozer, Umaga, down for ten seconds? John Cena hoped so when he defended his WWE Championship against Umaga in a Last Man Standing Match. With Umaga destroying opponents left and right, The Champ didn't seem like the favorite to win. Find out exactly what John Cena had to do to keep Umaga down for the ten-count.

I don't know that I'd put this match up for quite some time yet.

Because I like doing it, that's why (since I'm the guy here doing it with the "WWF / BENOIT ALERT!" I'll assume it's a reference towards me, but I figure you mean it on a grander scale). I do it for fun, though - when Dave Scherer used to point out every typo or historically inaccurate piece of info on WWE.com he seemed to be doing it to make himself feel good about his awful website.

Grander scale. There are people who can't seem to miss the slightest thing WWE didn't miss in deleting Benoit off their website.

Guest bp2007

Anybody who said hardcore wrestling didn't exist until ECW was born didn't see Sgt. Slaughter and Pat Patterson tear it up all over the country in the early '80s. When the rules were thrown out, the battles would just begin between both of these Hall of Famers. While Patterson and Slaughter traded victories throughout the years, only one man will have his arm raised here; watch this match to find out who!

Was this the same match on VOD this week? I haven't had a chance to watch anything yet but I'm very excited to see the RVD/Lynn match as I've never seen any of their matches. The 1 year anniversary Raw seems like a cool touch too. I'm wondering if this aired as a Raw or like an additional special not part of the 700+ episodes?

Guest bp2007

I don't know that I'd put this match up for quite some time yet.

I'm not too upset about that. It's one of the best matches I think WWE had all year. I'm also glad to see the 4-way ladder match on there. That was my favorite match in 2006 and I haven't seen it since it first aired.

Was this the same match on VOD this week? I haven't had a chance to watch anything yet but I'm very excited to see the RVD/Lynn match as I've never seen any of their matches. The 1 year anniversary Raw seems like a cool touch too. I'm wondering if this aired as a Raw or like an additional special not part of the 700+ episodes?

The Raw was an original episode w/ original matches. It did have some Raw clips from the last year. I don't have WWE 24/7 VOD so I'm not sure if it's the same match or not but I would imagine so.

Flair's gift is him vs. Dusty from Starrcade 1985. Boo.

Dusty Rhodes...the only man capable of dragging Flair below a three-star match on a consistent basis.

Scott Keith says that's because Dusty insisted on working his own formula, instead of Flair just plugging another guy into his consistently winning formula for a good match.

I don't think so. Anyone that says Ric Flair has a "formula" is delusional. Dusty was limited. I have a hard time believing those matches could have been better than what they were.

A wrestler with a formula is Hulk Hogan. Not Ric Fucking Flair.