TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

NFL Week 14 - Dolphins? More like LOLphins! Amirite?

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

How did Fred Miller get flagged for a false start? He's out indefinitely with an ankle injury!

This NFL.com coverage is all right. Instead of commercials, you get to see highlights and analysis.

For instance, some gigantic fat analyst thinks the Bears should go after McNabb this offseason.

Not only is Sean Taylor going to inspire the Redskins, but he'll be inspiring the NFC Pro Bowl team as he currently leads all vote getters at his position.

Which in a way is a shame, because he was the leading vote-getter at FS before he was murdered, but now it will be looked back upon as if people just voted out of sympathy, which I am sure a lot have since the murder, but the fact is he was leading at FS before that anyway.

Guest Vitamin X
Jesus. Does anyone remember the last tie in the televised era? Because I think we might get one tonight.

Pittsburgh-Atlanta in `02, as far as I can remember.

Also, the Bears "aren't hungry" this year.

Well the fucking Buccaneers certainly are hungrier than they are. They've only had four losses and will probably win their division, unlike the Chicago Bears Who Control Their Own Destiny In The NFC.

Angels in the Secondary!!!!

Make it Disney!

They already did, sorta.

I thought the Bears had them once Todd Collins came in. Not entirely sure how you go down to Todd Collins. Not entirely sure how as a defense you can let Collins throw two touchdowns and complete 75% of his passes.

We could be 12-4 going into the playoffs. We're Colin Cowherd's NFC darkhorse, y'know. Our 3rd down conversion rate is off the chain.

Well the fucking Buccaneers certainly are hungrier than they are. They've only had four losses and will probably win their division, unlike the Chicago Bears Who Control Their Own Destiny In The NFC.

Talking about "hunger" is just as retarded as the Sean Taylor stuff. The Bears wanted to win the Super Bowl this year, trust me, they did. Unfortunately, the absolute meltdown of the offensive line, Urlacher's arthritic back, Cedric Benson's failure, and both quarterbacks sucking impeded their travel plans. Everybody wants to win the Super Bowl. They're professionals. It's their job. The Bucs don't have a better record than the Bears because they want to win more than the Bears do. That's complete nonsense sports analysis. Yes. The Bears are hungry. They're also really bad. Hungry bad. The two are unrelated.

Well, now it's Orton time.

Guest Vitamin X

Talking about "hunger" is just as retarded as the Sean Taylor stuff. The Bears wanted to win the Super Bowl this year, trust me, they did. Unfortunately, the absolute meltdown of the offensive line, Urlacher's arthritic back, Cedric Benson's failure, and both quarterbacks sucking impeded their travel plans. Everybody wants to win the Super Bowl. They're professionals. It's their job. The Bucs don't have a better record than the Bears because they want to win more than the Bears do. That's complete nonsense sports analysis. Yes. The Bears are hungry. They're also really bad. Hungry bad. The two are unrelated.

Well, now it's Orton time.

Of course, lost amongst your condescending, malinformed diatribe is the fact that the Bucs HAVE fielded a better team this year than the Bears did, and for whatever reason they sure seemed much more motivated to win this year than Chicago does. Yes, they're professionals and this is what they do. No shit. You don't get this far in the season having only 4 losses or less in the NFL by accident, and there are such things as lazy, unmotivated players. It's nowhere in the realm of the Sean Taylor stuff because you can bend that angle to make it fit whatever happens to Washington- They win, it's because they're doing it for Sean! They lose, they're still heartbroken. It's fair to say that in an athletic competition (I believe the NFL is one) that one team may "want it" more than the other one, i.e. they're more motivated for whatever reason. I predicted Tampa Bay would play better this year, and that Jon Gruden would be motivated to work harder to keep his job, whereas a coach like Lovie Smith, isn't. This is reflected in their team's current records and successes. I don't think there's any disproving or arguing that.

How did no one see the "absolute implosion" of the offensive line before this season, when Chicago supposedly had one of the better ones in the league before this season? One of the real failures that the Bears have had this year has actually been what had been touted as their strength- their defense. They have the 28th-ranked defense in the league right now, and have given up nearly 300 points so far (22.8 PPG, as opposed to the 15.9 they gave up last year). Remember when the usual "meatheads" said that the loss of Ron Rivera wouldn't hurt that bad? Yeah. Is it just Rivera's departure that has fucked them up that badly?

the Bucs HAVE fielded a better team this year than the Bears did,

That's common knowledge that can easily be quantified.

and for whatever reason they sure seemed much more motivated to win this year than Chicago does.

This can't be proven so easily.

I predicted Tampa Bay would play better this year, and that Jon Gruden would be motivated to work harder to keep his job, whereas a coach like Lovie Smith, isn't. This is reflected in their team's current records and successes. I don't think there's any disproving or arguing that.

Yes there is. You're blurring execution and effort. You can try like hell to swim the English Channel, but maybe you're just not a good enough swimmer to do that. How do you attribute 8-4 to Gruden "working hard"? What's he doing, clenching his fists and grimacing? Both coaches are trying their best, but Lovie Smith's execution is worse, because his weaknesses as a coach--

1. handing all starters their jobs at camp because to deviate from a predetermined starting lineup is, to him, an admission of defeat

2. replacing coaches who disagreed with him with his own guys because to be challenged is, to him, a threat

3. not adjusting a gameplan because see 1

--prevent him from doing his best, which he could surely do if not for some unfortunate mental blocks. But to say that he's not trying to win is incorrect. He's just trying to sail in a leaky boat that he won't dare to mend. I know you predicted that the Bucs were going to win their bad division, and apparently you're so proud of that prediction that this is the hill you want to die on, but the issue of hunger is ridiculous. The Bears are "not hungry" because they went to the Super Bowl already? Are the Colts even less hungry? They won it already! What about the Patriots? They've won three! Do you only become less hungry when you don't get dinner? It is the same ridiculous analysis as the death effect, rest/rust, or any of that. You're not an idiot, I know that, but you picked a strange weapon to go to battle with here. I feel that the element of "hunger" has no place in professional discussion. Leave that trying and straining to the college game. I wonder if the Kansas Jayhawks are hungry.

Remember when the usual "meatheads" said that the loss of Ron Rivera wouldn't hurt that bad? Yeah. Is it just Rivera's departure that has fucked them up that badly?

On the contrary, the meatheads lamented the loss of Rivera, and the opposition said that this would be a good move because it streamlines the brilliant Lovie's coaching staff, while Rivera was only lionized because he was an '85 Bear, and to show reverence for any '85 Bears automatically means that you're an idiot. The meatheads were right, and I was very wrong. I'll boldface it and everything. Look again to that team for the conflict between Ditka and Ryan. Maybe it's not the worst thing to have dissent.

Guest Vitamin X
the Bucs HAVE fielded a better team this year than the Bears did,

That's common knowledge that can easily be quantified.

and for whatever reason they sure seemed much more motivated to win this year than Chicago does.

This can't be proven so easily.

I predicted Tampa Bay would play better this year, and that Jon Gruden would be motivated to work harder to keep his job, whereas a coach like Lovie Smith, isn't. This is reflected in their team's current records and successes. I don't think there's any disproving or arguing that.

Yes there is. You're blurring execution and effort. You can try like hell to swim the English Channel, but maybe you're just not a good enough swimmer to do that. How do you attribute 8-4 to Gruden "working hard"? What's he doing, clenching his fists and grimacing? Both coaches are trying their best, but Lovie Smith's execution is worse, because his weaknesses as a coach--

1. handing all starters their jobs at camp because to deviate from a predetermined starting lineup is, to him, an admission of defeat

2. replacing coaches who disagreed with him with his own guys because to be challenged is, to him, a threat

3. not adjusting a gameplan because see 1

--prevent him from doing his best, which he could surely do if not for some unfortunate mental blocks. But to say that he's not trying to win is incorrect. He's just trying to sail in a leaky boat that he won't dare to mend. I know you predicted that the Bucs were going to win their bad division, and apparently you're so proud of that prediction that this is the hill you want to die on, but the issue of hunger is ridiculous. The Bears are "not hungry" because they went to the Super Bowl already? Are the Colts even less hungry? They won it already! What about the Patriots? They've won three! Do you only become less hungry when you don't get dinner? It is the same ridiculous analysis as the death effect, rest/rust, or any of that. You're not an idiot, I know that, but you picked a strange weapon to go to battle with here. I feel that the element of "hunger" has no place in professional discussion. Leave that trying and straining to the college game. I wonder if the Kansas Jayhawks are hungry.

Not to further this ultimately irrelevant argument any more, but I think the main issue I have is that you're confusing my saying the Bucs were "hungry" with effort. Besides the few issues you pointed out with the Bears, they've had very little turnover from the team they had last year, while the Bucs (who I'm only using as an example) main turnover was at quarterback. This improved a 12 loss team to a (so far) 4 loss team? There are certain intangibles at play that we can't see at play sometimes, and while certain things can't be statistically proven, improvement can be. Teams and athletes, professional or amateur, can find things to inspire them and motivate them to put in more effort. More effort in a football game will get you closer to a victory. Less effort in a football game will most likely lead to defeat. I don't see what's so difficult to comprehend about that.

There are certain teams where they're simply going to play harder because they might feel they have something to prove compared to others. The Colts and Patriots are both blessed with excellent coaching staffs with veteran leadership who can motivate theirp layers to go the extra mile and succeed. The Bears, apparently, don't. And I'll just leave it at that.

And personally speaking, I prefer breakfast to dinner.

Teams and athletes, professional or amateur, can find things to inspire them and motivate them to put in more effort. More effort in a football game will get you closer to a victory. Less effort in a football game will most likely lead to defeat. I don't see what's so difficult to comprehend about that.

But how do you *know* the reason the Bears aren't winning is because lack of effort? Maybe they are trying their best and simply not good enough this year.

Do you think the Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl in 02 due to lack of effort and then all of a sudden got their "hunger" back in 03-04. It was the same team and same staff.

I can *kinda* see this argument in football but no way in baseball, which is a pure skill game. You can be hungry as hell but it won't help you catch up to a 95 MPH fastball.

Guest Vitamin X

Here are the TV maps for anyone else who wants em:

Early CBS games

Late CBS games

FOX games

Looks like my ass will be planted at home watching CBS this Sunday. Nice, it's enjoyable to not have to go to a sports bar early on a Sunday morning. Shame I couldn't get Dallas-Detroit though, but Arizona-Seattle might not be a terrible game, especially if the Cards come in healthy.

1pm: Oakland-GB and my choice of Carolina-Jacksonville and Dallas-Detroit (living between Cleveland and Youngstown rules).

4:15pm: Cleveland-Jets. Honestly, I was hoping the Browns were playing at 1pm so I could watch NE-Pit, but oh well.