TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

NHL January 08

We can leave the outdoor game discussion in the December thread, though.

Scott Clemmensen is starting for the Leafs tonight. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

The mighty mighty Blackhawks play the Kings in the second half of a cross-country home-and-home tonight. It'd be nice if Chicago can not lose twice to the worst team in the conference, so that I can take their playoff hopes seriously. A win tonight sends them back into the marginally acceptable 8th position, where the Ducks and Flames are hanging out, making a mockery of basic division with their sub-.500 records. The upcoming games against the Kings, Coyotes, Ducks, and Red Wings are all games that should be won.

I think the team, more than most teams in the league, is really living and dying by its goaltending this season. Khabibulin had a great streak earlier this year, but he's been subpar just as often, almost losing the damn job to Pat Lalime, of all people. There's really no trade to make in this respect, either: I'm sure Khabi's contract cannot be moved, nor is there a significant upgrade to be had. I guess it's just Khabibulin/Lalime for better or worse from here on out. I hope recent call-ups Jack Skille (pronounced skill-y, which makes me laugh; it'd be cool if he was Jack Skill), Danny Richmond, and Cam Barker all contribute enough to compensate for the streaky netminding.

EDIT: See what I mean? Gives up 4 in the 1st. What an asshole.

Never mind, Toews is out for a fuckin' MONTH now. That's like EIGHT guys on injured reserve now. I doubt they make the playoffs now. Oh well, not like it's anything new.

Nagy is a piece of shit. Frolov's great, he's just been hurt.

This team is understanding how to win, it's just FAR too late. Next year could be promising, provided we do a firesale now so we'll have the best chance of winning the lottery.

The Jackets' entire current west coast swing is not being televised over here and, aside from a basic live scoreboard, there doesn't appear to be any decent way to track the games online. I'm kinda annoyed.

How many Canadians were at the game? Ballpark figure.

Hard to say. I saw a fair number of Penguins fans...

But with no Canadian team playing, they'd just blend in with the rest of the crowd.

The overriding feeling of the day (even after the hometown team lost in the shootout) was simply one of being happy to be at an "event" that fealt like a big deal.

I'm sure there were a number of Canadians in attendance. The fact that the crowd was so respectful and loud would suggest a fairly good number.

Not to interrupt the riveting ratings conversation, but THERE'S BEEN A TRADE SON.

Boston Bruins get....

ThrashGolf05_14.jpgquestionmark.jpg

Shane Hnidy and Anaheim's sixth rounder for Brandon Bochenski (seen here training in the offseason)

user1367_1161934903a.jpg

Also, Anaheim relinquished their rights to Boston's fourth rounder in this year's draft, previously acquired when they gave the Bruins Stanislav Chistov (thank you, Brian Burke).

This deal is, of course, barely news. But it's going to start something. Hnidy takes Ward's spot and I think Chiarelli moves Ward to a playoff team for something. Ward is great on playoff teams. And if he can bring in a scorer or two...see ya, Wardo.

Mike Babcock really needs to make Chris Osgood the permanent starter. I assume they're rotating to avoid pissing Hasek off but he's being outplayed pretty handily right now. Good to see Zetterberg back last night and contributing as always.

Whatcha doin' in Raleigh-Durham, Bob? And how was the atmosphere?

Well Toews does not need surgery for his knee. He will be out for two weeks with a knee sprain.

Ryan Smyth is out for eight weeks with a fracture ankle.

We're being told it's a month over here. So let's see, who's out for the Hawks?

Jonathan Toews

Jason Williams

Kevyn Adams is out for the year

Brent Sopel is ugly

James Wisniewski

Ben Eager is bad

Martin Havlat is no surprise

Dave Bolland

geeeeeeez. Get those guys back and maybe we'll contend for 8th place again.

These too many men penalties make me sick. Just like I'm sick of being unable to beat Canada in this competition.

It's not like last year with the game being so close. The states are just shooting themselves in the foot taking stupid penelties and poor turnovers.

Hey, they scored.

Montreal easily had this game won if not for some goaltending malfunctions. Who's their goaltending coach, "Red Light" Racicot?

I'm excited about the tournament coming to Ottawa next year. Of course, that'll be the year Canada finishes fifth.

You might have redemption waiting if the 'of course' comes true. Three of the next four are in Canada, and the one that isn't is in the States somewhere.

I'm excited about the tournament coming to Ottawa next year. Of course, that'll be the year Canada finishes fifth.

You might have redemption waiting if the 'of course' comes true. Three of the next four are in Canada, and the one that isn't is in the States somewhere.

Yeah, but next year is the only one I can actually attend.