TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

NHL January 08

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Oh, there's no chance we can unload him, but he's a big reason the Hawks have lost five straight, all games they should have won. I'm sick of him.

I don't think Huet is going anywhere after the Habs sent down Price to the minors, beside Montreal is currently fifth in the Eastern Conference. It'll be different if they were 13th like the Hockey News predicted them earlier this season.

Chris: Markov is leading the league by defencemen with 10 goals. I'm surprised that this is his first all-star game.

And Carolina picked up Samsonov. Good luck to them.

He's actually second in goals, behind Mike Green of the Capitals.

But why must we pick elite defencemen based on how many goals they score or how many points they get? That's not the measure of a good defenceman. There's never going to be another Bobby Orr.

Sorry that the fans didn't pick Wade Redden as the starter, but they could have picked Sergei Gonchar who is having a better season than Markov so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marc Streit was named to the all-star too.

I don't think Huet is going anywhere after the Habs sent down Price to the minors, beside Montreal is currently fifth in the Eastern Conference. It'll be different if they were 13th like the Hockey News predicted them earlier this season.

I think they're trying to showcase Huet; they get to do that by sending Price to the minors, while allowing Price to not incur any rust. At least that's how I see it. It's not like Huet is a bad goaltender or anything.

After all the time I spent campaigning against Price being the #1 guy (or more accurately, for Huet), I'm on board with Price now. That said, if my above theory is true, this is the right move for now. Huet is not an overpaid goalie (a modest $2.5ish salary). That shouldn't be too tough to move, especially if it's for a little grit or leadership. The key is going to be if they can find a rabbit to bite at the carrot that's being dangled; as such, he needs to shine - there's no doubt that come October, Price will be the starter in Montreal, and with his credentials already (Junior gold and Calder Cup), I don't see his lack of big-game NHL experience being an issue.

But as of right now, Montreal is in a playoff spot. Do they lose Huet who has played pretty good this season, or push with Price who has struggled a bit recently. Bringing him to the minors will sharpen up his skills, and if Halak plays at all while he is up in the big leagues, they could showcase him around to try to get some scoring or if not players who know how to win a face off.

I could see Khabibulin being packaged with a player like Skille or Barker and being sent out of Chicago. In doing so, a rebuilding team has more to gain than what they would lose. Kinda like when Carolina sent the Kings Jack Johnson and Oleg Tverdovsky. On that note, I could see the Kings doing something exactly like that and sending away an expiring contract or two like Nagy and Stuart.

I understand Vegas, but Sacromento?

It's not too inconceivable. Sacramentans are big on their winter sports due to only being an hour or two away from the Sierras, additionally Sharks games are broadcasted on the local FSN affiliate.

CG and other Habs fans, I joined the radio broadcast late: why were they just honoring a bunch of old Black Hawks in addition to Canadiens? Evidently they had Hull, Mikita, Esposito, Larmer, and Secord there. Al Secord. There's a name you don't hear much these days.

But as of right now, Montreal is in a playoff spot. Do they lose Huet who has played pretty good this season, or push with Price who has struggled a bit recently. Bringing him to the minors will sharpen up his skills, and if Halak plays at all while he is up in the big leagues, they could showcase him around to try to get some scoring or if not players who know how to win a face off.

Yes, centred around my 'big game' argument earlier. Additionally, as you mentioned, they're in a playoff spot, which, knock wood, means they're buyers in five or six weeks. Huet is a UFA, and they don't need any sexy deals on deadline day - showcase him now and get some grit, or, as you also mentioned, a face-off guy, as opposed to nothing for him on Canada Day.

Czech, I too joined the TSN broadcast late, but I didn't know of any reason apart from it being two Original Six teams.

That could be an interesting list. Most famous games played at certain ballparks.

I'm going to comandeer that, but as to not steal the thunder of the roll Al is on, I'll do hockey in here. I'll start with the Forum:

1) Closing night: March 11, 1996. A 4-1 win over Dallas is the final game ever at the Forum, but an unbelievable tribute and torch-passing by all Habs captains, including an insane ovation for Rocket Richard are what I really would have liked to have seen.

2) Game 5: June 9, 1993. I could have said any of a number of the Habs playoff games that year, but the final cup of 23 won here gets the nod.

3) Rendezvous: New Year's Eve 1975. The Habs tie the Central Red Army 3-3, in which the Soviet guests are outshot 38-13.

4) Boston Penalty: May 10, 1979 (Sorry, Max). Don Cherry's Bruins incur a too-many-men penalty with a 4-3 lead late. Larry Robinson ties it, and the Habs go on to eliminate the Bruins to go on to the finals, where they would defeat the Rangers in 5.

5) Summit Series Game 1: September 2, 1972. Canada opens with two goals early, every Canadian watching brags. The Soviets would fight back, and go on to win 7-3.

I'm pretty drunk, but I think all my dates are accurate, save #3. I'd also like to seen George Chuvalo fight Muhammad Ali in 1966, and macabre as this sounds, I think Howie Morenz' funeral (also March 11, 1937) would have been unreal.

Was the Good Friday brawl at the Forum or the Colisee?

On the topic of NHL Jan. '08: oh, my poor, poor Black Hawks. Cockteases. For this club to have so much promise early on and end up in second-to-last place is so disheartening. Between the choking Cubs, the shitty Bears/Bulls, and now even the Hawks, I didn't expect Chicago sports to kick the shit out of me the way they have for the last three months. When pitchers and catchers report, I might just go hide in a bunker.

It was the beginning celebration of Montreal 100 years in the league, and it was the 82nd season that the Chicago Blackhawks and Montreal Canadiens hook up.

CG: You are correct on the New Years eve date of the USSR vs Habs, but are incorrect on Montreal's Stanley Cup victories. They have won 24 Stanley Cups, 23 in the NHL. Also I'm surprised that you did not include the Richard Riot on that list.

Bobby's tough. He overcame diabetes. Everything he said is right.

There are Leafs fans everywhere.

I really want them to trade Sundin, get a bunch of shit (who everyone in the media will say won't be enough, and it might not be) and then re-sign him in the off-season.

Alexander Ovechkin signed a contract extension.

6 years, 54 million. Hopefully Eklund will stop posting his stupid trade rumors now.

Bob Naegle, the majority owner of the Minnesota Wild, has sold his share to...Craig Leipold.

I'm not surprised. I remember hearing rumours about this a month or two ago. Leipold still wanted to own a hockey team, just not the one he actually owned.

6 years, 54 million. Hopefully Eklund will stop posting his stupid trade rumors now.

I just saw on TSN it's rumored to be something like 13 years and $124 million or so.

Holy shit.

The number I found was from RDS.

I really hate those RBK Edge commercials. Eric Staal asking 'Is this the year the Cup comes to Carolina?'

I sure hope so, it's been so long!

Holy shit.

The number I found was from RDS.

Yeah I saw that number too. Holy shit was exactly what I was thinking when TSN put the other one out there. Crazy to think that he got that without an agent.

I hate the city of Montreal, its hockey team and the faux-soccer fans that travel to other cities.

I hope a pipebomb explodes in the Bell Center.

Oh my God, the Leafs suck.

And the more I think about a Sundin trade and the more I think about what they could get back for him, the less I think it will happen, unless they fire JFJ (or, God forbid, sign him to an extension). He has no incentive to make the team better, since the only way he'll even be around next season is if the team makes the playoffs, which they won't do if they don't have Sundin.

And if they do sign him to an extension and they do trade Sundin, he'll just turn around and flip whatever he gets for another goalie.

Haha, it's 5-0 now and they didn't even bother updating the score on the XM display. Go Leafs.