TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartly Pretty

2008 NFL Draft Thread

Hey, the year is over for half of us. (Actually, I guess this isn't true, because 75% of us are pats fans)

To be honest, since the Jets really don't need a Darren McFadden or a Matt Ryan, I'm not too concerned about them dropping to sixth. If it were up to me, I'd be using that pick to snatch up a decent offensive linesman, which shouldn't be too hard to find at that spot.

Edit: Now I'm reading that the Jets are actually getting the fifth pick, so I dunno.

You really wouldn't like to have Matt Ryan, Mags? Kellen Clemens is by no means the answer at quarterback. Now the only way I see us landing him is if Kansas City still thinks Brodie Croyle is the way to go. And even then, why would the Falcons pass up on him? Brian Brohm is the next best option, and 6 would be a bit too high to take him. Actually, there's an idea. Trade down, pick up Brohm and then an offensive linemen.

I still believe in Clemens. His performance was poor to be sure, but he was playing with a patchwork offensive line and several injured receivers, so I'm not ready to write him off as a failure just yet. The more pressing issues are either fixing the aforementioned offensive line or getting a productive nose tackle or linebacker to help improve the abysmal run defense.

I'm curious as to why Jets fans wouldn't want McFadden. You could have a situation like the Vikings with Thomas Jones (who isn't the youngest guy in the world or the most explosive) playing the role of Chester Taylor and McFadden playing the role of AP. Then, once it's time for Jones to move on, you've got McFadden as the main guy with Washington playing a supporting role. I don't follow the team that closely though so maybe there's bigger needs.

I think the Jets are actually set at linebacker. While Vilma was out, David Harris kicked total ass, and for some reason I'm a fan of Hobson, and I'm alright with Robertson at Nose Tackle. If that guy from Virginia is avalible, I'd be ok with that pick, but I think the O-line and quarterback are more pressing needs.

Re: McFadden. I'd definitely love to have McFadden, but there are smarter picks.

I actually like the Jets' runningback situation quite a bit. Again, Jones was working with a below-average offensive line, and I believe that this was an off year for him. The tandem of him and Leon Washington is one I'm more than happy with.

So would I. If Justin Miller comes back healthy next year, Washington won't need to spend as much time kick returning (even though he's damn good at it) and could definitely be for the Jets like Brian Westbrook is for the Eagles. Maybe not to that extent, but a player that's just as valuable with the short passes as he is with the runs.

Chris Long had a good day today.

The thing is in this year's draft I do not think it will be very easy to trade down, at least for Top 10 teams.

If we didn't get McFadden, Chris Long would've had been a good pick, but he won't last till 5th or 6th. The guy people are looking at now for the Jets is Vernon Gholston.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Jake Long looks like a guy who will translate well to the pros. The little bit of Michigan I've seen this year showed me that Long is a meat mountain that can lift buildings and run like a deer.

If the falcons take a fucking quarterback I will be greatly pissed.

I would rather them upgrade the other positions they need and give it a go with Redman, Shockly, Leftwich, hell I don't care. As long as its not Joey Harrington.

A couple of solid linemen(although I think Blaylock, Calbo, Gandy are all solid linemen, they just got hurt this year) a middle line backer that doesn't suck ass like Keith Brooking, and start looking at the saftey positions, because although Chris Croker did improve this year, he still has too much of a big hitter mentaility and gets beat on basically any play fake.

I think Chris Houston and Deangelo Hall could become one of the best CB tandems in the league. Michael Boely is a star in the making at one linebacker position. I personally hope they hang on to DeMario Williams, but I think they might hand the position to Stephen Nichols(even though Demo played better this year), Trey Lewis, Johnathan babeniex and Rod Colman should man the DT position just fine, as should John Abraham and Jamal Anderson at the ends.

Just for the love of god, stay away from ALL these QB's. None of them are going to help this team, and I am not sure there is a franchise guy out of any of them.

My team is the Dolphins (I know, I know), and I truly hope they trade down. If not, who do they select at #1? Glenn Dorsey? Darren McFadden? Jake Long? All should be impact players, but Miami needs more than one plug to fix their holes. If someone was willing to trade a couple of picks for the #1 overall, Miami should jump on it.

I feel like they are fine at RB with Ronnie Brown. Undecided on John Beck as he was a rookie behind a horrible O-Line. O-Line definitely needs work. They need a young posession WR to go with Ted Ginn. The defense is old and broken down. What do you replace? Nearly everything. Jason Taylor is wanting to go somewhere else it appears, and I am willing to bet you could get quite a bit in return for Jason Taylor and/or the #1 overall pick. Thoughts?

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Take the Sex Cannon, Falcons. You know you wanna. Do it. Do iiiiiiiiiit.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet in this thread, but I think trading down is going to be rough this year. There's only a couple blow-the-doors-off playmakers in the top bit of the draft, but there's plenty of solid defensive players, it seems. I don't think anyone's going to move up to get Dorsey if there's a Sedrick Ellis potentially out there.

That is true. I am of the thinking that several teams view McFadden as that LT franchise-type guy and might be willing to trade their first round pick, and give up other picks and/or players, though.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Y'know, now that I think about it, say Miami retains Taylor, signs Lance Briggs, and then drafts Dorsey. That would be as sturdy of a defensive backbone as it gets.

In Chicago, hearing that Angelo wants to shift the total focus to the offense worries me. Briggs is already probably not coming back. An attitude of "WE'RE GONNA SCORE!" cements that. This isn't much of an offensive draft. They'll probably do something fuckin' retarded like re-sign Grossman, overpay Berrian, and then draft Limas Sweed.

Have more faith AoO. Yes we have defensive needs but the Bears has shown that they are pretty good at drafting defense, so they can spend the later rounds on that. Our two biggest holes are in that offensive backfield, one being the guy taking the snaps and the other being the guy usually taking the handoffs. Too big of pieces there to have gaping holes, eh?

How is McFadden that "LT" type guy? LT was MUCH MUCH better in college than McFadden could ever hope for.

I didn't say he was the second coming. I said some view him as an "LT" type. He is an explosive all around back. Throw in the fact that he has tossed a couple of TD's here and there, and you see why the give him the comparisons. I didn't make this up, it has been talked about before.

The coin flip between Atlanta, Kansas City and Oakland will determine picks 3-5. Oakland can get no lower than the 4th pick since KC finished ahead of them in the AFC West.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Have more faith AoO. Yes we have defensive needs but the Bears has shown that they are pretty good at drafting defense, so they can spend the later rounds on that. Our two biggest holes are in that offensive backfield, one being the guy taking the snaps and the other being the guy usually taking the handoffs. Too big of pieces there to have gaping holes, eh?

Absolutely. Holes that aren't going to be filled in the first round of this year's draft, though. I'm really not sold on the three QBs this season. McFadden's going to go way too early to even be a thought.

What does anyone here know about that Flacco guy?

The Seahawks will probably look RB but I'm just not sure when. I'd like to see them look towards one of the many OT's coming out for a future replacement for Jones.

He's a big guy, 6'6 I believe. And I am pretty sure he transferred from Pittsburgh when Palko was the starting QB there. Led Delaware to a 1-AA title and a Finals appearance this year. Gotta think he will be the 4th QB taken this year behind Ryan, Woodson and Brohm.

Brennan's stock I think took a Troy Smith level dive last night.

I should make a last mention in regards to the Bears, the mocks I've seen has them taking Andre Woodson, but that was when they had better/worse (depending on your take) draft position. The last two wins probably pushed them out of Woodson's range.

Jonathan Stewart, MrRant?

I like his style the few times I've watched him on FSN but I've heard questions about durability so I hesitate with the first round pick, but then that could mean he falls into the 2nd round and then I don't have much of a issue with it. I'd love to get Sam Baker out of USC but I doubt he's falling that far.

The Bears pick #14 now. Here's the 13 teams ahead of them.

1. Miami (Anything is possible, but I would be shocked if they went QB)

2. St. Louis (Just signed the Bulge to huge deal in '06)

3. Atlanta * (Possibility much to Ripper's delight)

4. Oakland * (Russell #1 last year)

5. Kansas City * (This is a long shot because they have too many holes to fill)

6. NY Jets (Too many holes and I think they will stick with Clemens longer)

7. New England (Going defense or trade)

8. Baltimore (This is a possibility with McNair retiring)

9. Cincinnati (Carson Palmer)

10. New Orleans (Drew Brees)

11. Buffalo (They are pretty excited about Trent Edwards in Buffalo)

12. Denver (Jay Cutler)

13. Carolina (With Delhomme coming back and Matt Moore's play, they will not go QB here)

So realistically I think -maybe- two teams take a QB ahead of the Bears. And I think if Atlanta wins the coin flip for #3 they look to address other needs.

Kiper's Big Board:

1. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU (6-2, 292) | Previous: Same

Disruptive force along the interior. If there is one non-skill position player fans should watch, Dorsey is the one because, despite constant double-teams, he is always making plays or opening up space for his teammates.

2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan (6-6, 320) | Previous: Same

Top-drawer left- or right-tackle prospect.

3. Chris Long, DE, Virginia (6-4, 282) | Previous: Same

A 3-4 defensive end with great bloodlines who understands leverage and uses his hands as well as any D-lineman in the country.

4. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College (6-4, 223) | Previous: Same

He has the size and arm to wow the NFL brass during testing.

5. Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC (6-1, 297) | Previous: Same

Tampa Bay Bucs-style DT with superior quickness and a nonstop motor.

6. Dan Connor, LB, Penn State (6-2½, 231) | Previous: Same

Big-play performer who always seems to be around the ball.

7. Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina (6-4, 298) | Previous: Same

Unbelievably talented player who is primed for a breakout season.

8. Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida (5-11½, 202) | Previous: Same

He has excellent recovery speed and the toughness you look for in a cornerback. His size allows him to match up with an opponent's No. 1 wide receiver.

9. Sam Baker, OT, USC (6-4½, 310) | Previous: Same

Exceptional pass-blocker with superb technique.

10. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt (6-5½, 318) | Previous: 11

Top-drawer talent, possessing superior athleticism and good feet to neutralize outside pass-rushers.

11. Keith Rivers, LB, USC (6-3, 233) | Previous: 13

He has the skill set to become a super blue-chipper. Rivers isn't spectacular, but he's a solid all-around player.

12. Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana (5-10½, 183) | Previous: 14

Not only a skilled coverman, but Porter -- a four-year starter -- is a dynamic punt returner as well.

13. Fred Davis, USC (6-4, 253) | Previous: 17

Productive, consistent and multi-talented. He's caught five or more passes in seven of 12 games, while also doing a very capable job as an in-line blocker. Davis stretches the deep middle of the field with big plays, while bringing excellent physical and athletic skills to the tight end spot.

14. Ali Highsmith, LB, LSU (6-1, 225) | Previous: 16

Showed tremendous potential in 2005 before taking a step back as a junior. Highsmith re-established himself as one of the top linebackers in the SEC.

15. Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn (6-3, 251) | Previous: 12

Speed rusher with the talent to rank as one of the more feared sack artists in the nation.

16. Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy (5-10½, 185) | Previous: 18

Not only a very good cover man with superior recovery ability (runs in the 4.38 range) and the aggressiveness to get the job done in run support, McKelvin has made a name for himself as the top return man in the entire nation.

17. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville (6-3, 223) Previous: 15

He's a polished pure passer, but durability and mobility are concerns.

18. Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC (6-4, 266) | Previous: 21

A strong finish to 2006 carried over to 2007. Jackson is a decen pass-rusher but is solid against the run. He's also strong at the point of attack.

19. Limas Sweed, WR, Texas (6-4, 217) | Previous: 10

TD-maker who plays fast with pads on. Sweed is out for the season following a wrist injury, but he proved his playmaking skills over his career.

20. Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh (6-5, 339) | Previous: 22

Light on his feet for a huge bookend, Otah is still developing. He played only one year in high school and two at the junior college level. He also played basketball in junior college and is a tremendous athlete. His upside and potential are going to excite offensive line coaches in the NFL.

21. Chris Ellis, DE, Virgina Tech (6-4½, 259) | Previous: 23

Played with a lot more consistency in 2007. Ellis has 8½ sacks and 38 quarterback hurries heading into the Orange Bowl.

22. Mike Hart, RB, Michigan (5-8, 200) | Previous: 24

He may not look impressive when it comes to size and speed, but Hart is a true gamer. Not only does he take great care of the ball, but Hart is deceptively strong and has been extremely consistent throughout his career.

23. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa (6-0½, 208) | Previous: 25

A big cover cornerback who has played safety as well. He's one of the fastest corners and has great recovery speed, which is needed in the NFL.

24. Early Doucet, WR, LSU (5-11½, 205) | Previous: 19

Super-talented, is LSU's go-to option this season, although he has been slowed by injuries. Still he has the quickness and natural receiving skills to play on the outside or as a slot receiver in the NFL.

25. Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska (6-5, 345) | Previous rank: Unranked

For a bookend offensive lineman, Nicks is extremely light on his feet. After stops at New Mexico State and a junior college, Nicks dramatically improved his draft stock in 2007.