TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Spiderman OMD finale

In the FCBD issue, there is a never seen before, yet to be seen again superhero who shows up to help Spider-Man nab a crook. Her name is Jackpot, and she bares a striking resemblance to the former Mrs. Mary Jane Parker, even using the "Tiger" catchphrase when addressing him. Might be a red herring, might be something to keep an eye on.

So basically, we're now back where we were thirty years ago? I can't decide which is worse, ending the marriage between Pete and MJ or the stupid "mind erasing" deal with the unmasking. So many interesting routes they could have gone with the latter, but alas.

So basically, we're now back where we were thirty years ago? I can't decide which is worse, ending the marriage between Pete and MJ or the stupid "mind erasing" deal with the unmasking. So many interesting routes they could have gone with the latter, but alas.

I'm not too keen on DC stuff so please somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't this "mind-erasing" thing also happen in The Flash comics? I seem to recall that everybody knew that Wally West was the Flash but in some storyline something happened and suddenly everybody forgot or something of the like? If this is true then I don't see much reason to bitch about this since it already happened and to my knowledge nobody complained that time.

I'm not too keen on DC stuff so please somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't this "mind-erasing" thing also happen in The Flash comics? I seem to recall that everybody knew that Wally West was the Flash but in some storyline something happened and suddenly everybody forgot or something of the like? If this is true then I don't see much reason to bitch about this since it already happened and to my knowledge nobody complained that time.

Yeah he had Hal (when he was the Spectre) make people forget. But that was due to one of his bad guys knowing his ID resulting in the deaths of Wally's unborn twins. And I may be mistaken, but I don't think Wally ever publicly outed himself, but rather it was just that over the years enough of the Rogues had found out his ID.

And before that Iron Man used a brainwashing satellite to erase people's memories of his ID. And Dr Strange mindwiped everyone once too so he could have a secret ID. And it's probably happened a bunch more before too but that doesn't make the Spiderman thing any less terrible.

My big problem with how it went down was that it was just kind of an aside to the deal that really had nothing to do with anything else. Plus Spiderman publicly revealed himself and it was a huge deal that was supposed to be the way things were for Spiderman. And that was less than a year ago.

Well, you are comparing two very different things.

Wally's retcon was more a 'soft-retcon' than anything: It really wasn't tied into anything big, and the biggest effect was to change something which was relatively recent (his unborn children dying). Overall, it didn't change anything that was intrinsically linked to his character: At the end of the day, he was still the same guy, and it didn't have a huge effect on continuity overall.

Peter's retcon is the hardest type of retcon you could get. We are essentially erasing 20+ years of continuity, eliminating one of the most essential relationships he has, negating things like "The Other" (Return of Webshooters, remember?), HARRY OSBORN IS ALIVE AGAIN... All of it is a drastic shock to the entire character concept. It's really not comparable.

I have no problem with a book changing the status qou, in fact I enjoy it quite a bit, but there are alot of problems with this change. First off the last new status qou was still just that, new. You should only change it when you have gotten all of the good stories out of it that you could of. Spider-Man being unmasked still had alot of great stories left in it before it needed to be changed. I have as big a problem with the new status qou because of that as I do with the stupidity of the new status qou alone.

Everyone remembering that Spidey unmasked during Civil War but cant remember his face is just a lame excuse, I hope they give it more explaniation then that. Even that fact that other heroes dont know hes Peter Parker anymore is stupid, espically with the fact that hes in the New Avengers. With this whole Skrull Invasion thing about to start up It makes no sense for any of his team mates to want him on the team without even know who he is. That alone should put Spidey as the #1 suspect for the New Avengers. If they dont trust the people they do know then why would they trust someone whos identy they dont know. Also I assume May no longer knows Pete is Spider-Man anymore, which is a real shame I thought May being in on the secret made her a much more interesting character, does that mean she just goes back to being an always sick old woman whos always doting on him? If anyone should remember the unmasking it should be her, otherwise she will go back to being an annoying character that people want to get killed off.

As far as Harry being alive again. I dont have a HUGE problem with it because people come back from the dead in comics all the time. Only thing I dont like about it is the fact that now Harry apperently never died which sucks, I always thought Harry had one of the best deaths in comics even if its never really talked about as such. So Harry being resseructed somehow, yeah fine no problem, Harry just not being dead in the first place? Not so much.

At least with Spidey not being married anymore hes free to play the feild with The Black Cat.

I think it's exceptionally dumb because if you want to read a book about a young single and dumb Spidey, there's the Ultimate book and the Marvel Adventure lines.

That's my feeling. What Marvel is trying to do now to the main series is why the Ultimate Spider-Man book was created in the first place. Now there is no need for it all.

What I really find amusing is that the movies are enormously successful and they are leading to the same things that just got erased from continuity (Harry's death and the marriage). The whole thing is just ridiculous.

DC fucked up Hawkman pretty good. Im not sure how they managed to fix up that mess.

Yeah... but it's frigging Hawkman. Aside from the hardcore fanboys, who cares?

A better phrasing might be "Has any other mega-popular hero from a top-selling franchise been messed up by their company more then Spidey the last 15 years?" To which I think the answer is, no. Though lord knows they've tried a few times with various folk, Superman sure comes to mind, but no other book has repeatedly done such embarassing damage to itself as Spider-man.

One big thing that I don't understand and is such a crucial part of the Spider-Man story is the issue with Gwen Stacey. She's still dead and it is established that nobody knows Spider-Man's identity, but the whole reason she got killed was because Norman Osborne found out Spider-Man's identity. The whole thing is confusing to the point where I just won't bother buying the series rather than to try and figure it all out.

One big thing that I don't understand and is such a crucial part of the Spider-Man story is the issue with Gwen Stacey. She's still dead and it is established that nobody knows Spider-Man's identity, but the whole reason she got killed was because Norman Osborne found out Spider-Man's identity. The whole thing is confusing to the point where I just won't bother buying the series rather than to try an figure it all out.

post-6903-1200187417_thumb.png

Has any other hero been messed up by their company more then Spidey the last 15 years?

Batgirl. Cassandra Cain when from the daughter of two of the worlds deadliest assasins, who had been turned into a living weapon by her father, but then vowed to never kill after her first 'assignement', and who had been given the mantel of Batgirl with both Batman's and Barbara Gordon's blessins- to a ruthelss, cold blooded killer who framed Robin for her onw 'murder'; who led the League of Assasins, and who played a pivitol role in Slade's Titan's East. Of course, they then tried to retcon her behavior by saying that Slade had brainwashed her with his trippy drugs.

I'm pretty sure fans of her character were just as upset as most people are about OMD.

Well, in Identity Crisis, it was established that the Justice LEague routinley had Zatana mind-wipe villians who found out their true identities

You know, I recently got back into comics, and ehave been heavily buyint TPB's to catch up, along with browsing the torrents on line. That way, if I find a book I like, I'll go and buy it. And I've been buying Spider-Man, because I was really interesting in seeing where they were going with the whole shooting.

And then they pull this crap.

Well, that's money saved now.

TPTB's at Marvel have never liked Spider-Man being married. Because god knows you can't do anything with a married character- I mean, think what would happen if a big name like, say... Reed Richards, or The Flash, or Superman were married? How could they possibly be cool? And super-heros with kids? I mean, really! Think how crappy the children of Reed Richards or the Flash- or even Supoerman would be-what could you possibly do with them?

Yes, kids. That was sarcasm.

The higher ups in Marvel, who have never liked Spidey being married for some reason, concocted the whole 'One More Day' storyline, in which Spidey an d MJ makes a deal with the devil to save May's life-by making their marriage never happen- and also, by consequence, gets rid of their newly-concieved baby.

Despite the fact that most readers like MJ, and the marriage.

All because some suits didnt' like it.

Meanwhile, over in DC, we have a countdown to Final Crisis, which was proceeded by Infinite Crisis and Crisis on Infinite Earths. The first two Crisis' were held to 'streamline' the convoluted DC continuity, then to bring back some of those alternate universes that DC is so famous for. And then, they did 52- a really cool concept, to be true.

But...

They've killed more people than the Mafia (even though they don't actually exist;). They turned Batgirl, and excellent character on her own- into a cold-blooded killer. And lets not start on Jimmy freakin' Olsen. And all of this goes up to this so-called 'Final Crisis', which will more than likley erase the past two years anyway.

You know, I'm all for Marvel and DC doing stuff to shake things up- even if the 'Big Events' (TM, Copyright) are getting a bit too tiresome. But for gods sake, you'd theink that they couldthink of more original things to do than killing off characters or erasing 20+ years of continuity for the sake of an Earth Shattering Event that will shake up (Insert Character's Name Here) forever- only to retcon it two years down the line.

Wally's retcon was more a 'soft-retcon' than anything: It really wasn't tied into anything big, and the biggest effect was to change something which was relatively recent (his unborn children dying). Overall, it didn't change anything that was intrinsically linked to his character: At the end of the day, he was still the same guy, and it didn't have a huge effect on continuity overall.

Peter's retcon is the hardest type of retcon you could get. We are essentially erasing 20+ years of continuity, eliminating one of the most essential relationships he has, negating things like "The Other" (Return of Webshooters, remember?), HARRY OSBORN IS ALIVE AGAIN... All of it is a drastic shock to the entire character concept. It's really not comparable.

Well, I was talking specifically about the identity thing only, which seems to be getting about as much bitching as the other stuff happening.

Well, I was talking specifically about the identity thing only, which seems to be getting about as much bitching as the other stuff happening.

Yea, but I don't think Wally's identity was ever a 'BIG REVEAL' type deal. It was a huge plot, and what sparked majority of the interest in Civil War, and it's just stupid that it's retconned a few months later.

f

So I guess in that case, you can expect to see Captain America back in a few months. Oh, and then we're gonna find out that he was never in WWII, and is actually just a clone of a more recent hero. Or something else bogus, that completely changes continuity.

I'm not even a Marvel fan, and I found the retcon to be pretty stupid.

Although, I will say, I did read Brand New Day, and I didn't mind it...

Yea, but I don't think Wally's identity was ever a 'BIG REVEAL' type deal. It was a huge plot, and what sparked majority of the interest in Civil War, and it's just stupid that it's retconned a few months later.

f

So I guess in that case, you can expect to see Captain America back in a few months. Oh, and then we're gonna find out that he was never in WWII, and is actually just a clone of a more recent hero. Or something else bogus, that completely changes continuity.

I'm not even a Marvel fan, and I found the retcon to be pretty stupid.

Although, I will say, I did read Brand New Day, and I didn't mind it...

I think Bru is too good a writer for Cap's return to be so awful.

I finally got around to reading the first issue of Brand new day and I really liked it alot. Not a stellar comic but I liked the feel to it. It reminded me of the early 80s Spider-man (which I read through from time to time). That and the McNiven art is great and Slott can write a good story.

I'm not saying that OMD wasn't weak, but I'm gonna keep optimistic for what happens.

Yea, I do have to say, even though I don't really like the idea, that the last two issues I've read, are the first I've read since the few during Civil War.

And what I have read hasn't been that bad. so, As someone who doesn't read Marvel, really, I guess they didn't something right. Sort of.