TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
milliondollarchamp

Unjustly Imprisoned Man Must Repay "Room, Board" While in Pr

Unjustly Imprisoned Man Must Repay "Room, Board" While in Prison

Warren Blackwell, 38, spent three years in jail as a convicted rapist. However, it turns out that not only did he not commit the crime, there was no crime in the first place. Yet after all his unnecessary suffering, they want him to pay £12,500 for his "room and board" while in prison, the Daily Mail reports.

He had been convicted based on testimony of the "victim," a woman who claimed he rape her at knifepoint early on New Year's Day 1999.

An investigation by the Criminal Cases Review Commission later discovered that his accuser had invented the story. And in fact, she turned out to be a "serial accuser," who had falsely accused at least seven other innocent men of similar crimes. She kept changing her name and address, so police never caught on.

Blackwell has been awarded £252,500 as compensation - but they want him to pay the estimated cost of his food and housing while behind bars."It's the principle of the thing. They slam you in jail for three years and four months, brand you a sex attacker, leave your family to cope without you, then turn around and say sorry but demand £12,500 for living expenses incurred during your time inside," Blackwell said.

"I tried to fight against it but my solicitor says the only hope of overturning the decision would be to go all the way to the European Court of Human Rights. I would probably use up all the compensation money on legal fees if I did that."

Fortunately for Blackwell, his wife Tanya never doubted him and continued to support him during his ordeal.

This isn't the first instance of such a charge in the U.K. Earlier this year the Bridgewater Three, wrongly convicted of a murder, were forced to repay their "room and board" as well. It's obvious that decision will be used in future cases.

The reasoning giving in the Bridgewater Three case was that if they had been free from prison, they would have incurred living expenses, thus the charges.

Still, when someone's imprisoned unfairly, the injustice of that alone, I feel, should trump this parcticality. What do you readers think?

-credit: http://snafu-ed.blogspot.com/2008/01/unjus...repay-room.html

Seriously, this is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard of in my life. How much real world value do they think their rooms and food would be worth? They say they are making him pay because in the real world he would have got these expenses but in the real world he wouldn't have been eating shitty prison food or staying on uncomfortable prison beds nor be housed with convicted rapists.

Take it to the press, that's what I always say. I'd donate some money to him, if I had any.

False accusations of rape are nearly as bad as actual rape, sometimes.

Yeah, at least getting raped garners you some sympathy.

...err.

Going on the report, they're charging him, like, 300 a month in rent.

But when you think about it - clothes, laundry, food, exercise, bed ... all paid for. If anything, he should be charged for theft for trying to get away with such a sweet deal.

Is the woman involved going to charged with anything? At all? Considering that she's falsely accused several men of rapes which never happened, and one of them spent years in jail because of it? Hell, why's she still referred to anonymously? She's clearly not a victim, she's the criminal here.

Fuck off, I'm bringing up a valid point. Why does the proven-innocent person get named while the proven-guilty person doesn't?

Because the media always panders to women as being "victims", no matter what.

That and possibly fear someone might really rape her for falsely accusing men of rape as a way to "teach her what it's really like to be rape". Bunch of sick fucks out there would do it in an instant since the odds of the police believing her again has rapidly shrank to zero.

Also, she keeps changing her name and address so maybe they have no idea who she really is?

Of course she doesn't "deserve" to be raped. She does however deserve to go to prison for a while. Surely, fucking with other people's lives like this must be against some law. I just find it double-standardy that she still gets to remain anonymous after all the shit she's caused.

As to the guy having to pay back money for his unjust incarceration, well, that's bureaucracy at work for you. Question to our Brits on the board: does the UK penal system require ALL former convicts to pay for their stay, or just the ones whom have been proven innocent after years of unwarranted punishment?

Actual Rape: Psychological damage, physical damage, chance of getting STD, being scared, etc

False Rape: Personal life is destroyed, reputation is discredited, usually ends marriages, loses job, etc

Both are terrible, although actually being raped is still leaps and bounds ahead of being falsely accused. Once it's found out you've been falsely charged, you get to make everyone feel guilty for doubting you. Revenge is oh so sweet.

Blackwell has been awarded £252,500 as compensation - but they want him to pay the estimated cost of his food and housing while behind bars."It's the principle of the thing. They slam you in jail for three years and four months, brand you a sex attacker, leave your family to cope without you, then turn around and say sorry but demand £12,500 for living expenses incurred during your time inside," Blackwell said.

Um...why didn't they just factor it into the compensation money to begin with?

Actual Rape: Psychological damage, physical damage, chance of getting STD, being scared, etc

False Rape: Personal life is destroyed, reputation is discredited, usually ends marriages, loses job, etc

Both are terrible, although actually being raped is still leaps and bounds ahead of being falsely accused. Once it's found out you've been falsely charged, you get to make everyone feel guilty for doubting you. Revenge is oh so sweet.

I said sometimes. Take into account that being falsely accused of rape sometimes means you actually get raped.

I'd rather be raped (I'll say ass raped by a dude, since lots of guys would want to be raped by women) than falsely accused, and spend over 3 years in prison.. Or worse, the complete sentence if you're never proven innocent. (In which case your reputation would be ruined for life, and there'd be no bragging.)

the girl should actually get raped. serve the bitch right.

seriously there should be some special set of punishments for women that go around falsely accusing men of rape. that shit is right up there with claiming to be pregnant just to fuck with a dude's head.

Uh, I'd say it's well beyond that. You can PROVE that the chick was never pregnant somewhat easily. No evidence of miscarriage, no bill from Planned Parenthood, no scars from self-abortion attempts, NO BABY...but proving that you didn't rape somebody after already being convicted is a little harder to do, man, and much more severe, considering it's pretty well-known that a general code of conduct amongst prisoners is to attack sex offenders.

you have some good points. must have been hell for the guy. i stand by my statement though about that bitch needs to seriously be raped. a few times. or given a couple of round on one of these.

Yeah, just what we need, punitive raping...

What is the crime of giving false testimony in a murder conviction? There must be a serious punishment, just give something like that to a false rapist...