TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

What's the best sports story/event that you'd like to see adapted for film? (that hasn't already).

I've often compared Phil Mickelson's 2004 Masters win to

Chris Benoit's

title win at Wrestlemania 20, or the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series that year. I'd say any of those are applicable, especially the latter.

My question: I'll never look down my nose at any fan of it, but aren't UFC and MMA pretty barbaric? It's not technically a question, but talk me out of that;

Is boxing barbaric? Is wrestling barbaric? Is judo barbaric? Maybe the early days, when it was just two guys thrown in there until one quits or is KOed with no time limit or rounds, but there are plenty of safety measures taken to protect the fighters. It's no Sunday picnic, but it certainly isn't barbaric.

My question: I'll never look down my nose at any fan of it, but aren't UFC and MMA pretty barbaric? It's not technically a question, but talk me out of that;

It's no less barbaric then Boxing and Pro Football. It's combat sport. MMA utilizes a great deal of disciplines from all over the world from world class athletes. I know it's not as eloquent as the usual MMA circle would put it.

Q: Who is worst coach to ever win a championship?

Well, I fucked that one up.

Yi will be the best of the rest from the '07 draft class. He's a better all around player than the rest, which for me, is of the most importance.

A: Mike Conley Jr. he's looked pretty good the past few weeks he's been starting for the Grizz. He can score, rebound, and get assists. I think he'll end up a better player than Horford since Horford is mainly defensive oriented and I don't really see him getting much better on offense on that team.

George Wilson

Won an NFL Championship with the Lions in his first year of coaching in 1957, then posted 4 winning records over the next 11 seasons, including a pitiful final four years with the Dolphins (a .278 winning percentage).

Q: Name (and make a case for) someone you believe should be in a Hall of Fame that has nearly no chance of making it in reality.

Edited by KingPK

Paul Henderson.

While his stats aren't amazing in the NHL during that time (only 477 points in 700 games) he is a legend in Canadian history scoring the biggest goal in Hockey History. Not too mention he also scored two GWG as well during the Summitt Series in 72. The fact is that his NHL records shows him as a mediocre player by NHL Standards, he should get some recongnition in the Hall of Fame for what impact he made in Canadian hockey history. Besides, Vladislav Tretiak the starting Russian goalie is in the Hockey Hall of Fame despite never playing in the NHL, and the only person in the Hall of Fame that has never played in the Hall.

To answer cabbageboy for not knowing which mediocre NHL team winning the cup, its either the 92-93 Montreal Canadiens or the 2005-2006 Carolina Hurricanes. Neither of these teams deserve to win the cup. (Pittsburgh got knocked out by the Islanders which sealed the deal for Montreal winning the cup. And Carolina got so many breaks to win the cup its not funny.)

My question.

Should the Superbowl for a change be played somewhere North and not indoors. Seattle has an excellent stadium and so does New England, and what about Soldier field or Lambeau? People would love to see a 0 degree game in snow or slush and a complete mudbath.

George Wilson

Won an NFL Championship with the Lions in his first year of coaching in 1957, then posted 4 winning records over the next 11 seasons, including a pitiful final four years with the Dolphins (a .278 winning percentage).

Q: Name (and make a case for) someone you believe should be in a Hall of Fame that has nearly no chance of making it in reality.

So heres how I look at it, and I'm going to list both guys because I don't think either is going to get in. I think you either have to let in Mark McGwire or Jose' Canseco. Either you "embrace the darkest kings" and let in the likes of Mark McGwire, or you reject it and put in the guy who was honest about steroids, and helped to shed light on the steroid era, even if he did it to sell books. Anyway, like I said, neither of those guys are getting in, especially Canseco.

To answer still fly: I've always thought Joe Montana was overrated. I'm not saying the guy wasn't great. He was great. But he got to play in the West Coast offense when it was big deal hot shit. Maybe he isn't THE most, but he's who came to mind for me.

Heres a question, and it's of a sensitive nature, so accept it as purely academic from someone who doesn't know a whole lot about biology.

-Jimmy the Greek was scandalized when he contended that black athletes were so dominant and numerous because of breeding during slavery. Every time I've heard someone talk about it, it's always "That ignorant, terrible man! How could he say that?" but it's always struck me as something that could be a valid contention. So... is it at all valid? If not, please explain why, so I can put it to bed.

I'm going to have to say there's validity to black athletes being better than white athletes, but I don't know how the fuck I'm to explain whether or not slave fucking had anything to do with it. The only argument I could try to make would be to argue that the biggest and strongest slaves were 'studded out', and so they were kinda like horses. This argument will probably go over about as well as Jimmy the Greek's did.

Hall of Fame: I really have no idea. I'm getting closer and closer to having to say Art Monk, which is a shame. I could say Pete Rose, but then you have to look at the fact that Clemens could lose his HoF spot if he's found guilty of the HGH McNamee says he injected and that puts him up there with Charlie Hustle.

By the same token if Clemens goes in you have to put Rose in...well, you have to put Rose in if you don't want to look like a prejudiced, grudge-carrying jackoff but it really depends on whether or not Selig is the commissioner at the time of Clemens' potential induction.

Should the Superbowl for a change be played somewhere North and not indoors. Seattle has an excellent stadium and so does New England, and what about Soldier field or Lambeau? People would love to see a 0 degree game in snow or slush and a complete mudbath.

Should it? Abso-freakin-lutely.

Will it? Doubtful. The NFL rakes in too much from non-NFL fans who pay big-ass money for tickets to "The Big Game" and those types of people don't want to freeze their asses off. They make too much in advertising to risk it on a god-awful game (though it would take a string of horrible games for this to have an effect).

I'd like to see Buffalo get a Super Bowl before Ralph Wilson dies. Sure he named the stadium after himself and he's made some atrocious decisions, but without him Buffalo doesn't have a team and the NFL doesn't have an AFL merger, they have an AFL absorption.

It's just a real shame that the rabid fanbases in Philly, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. don't get Super Bowl games in their area while Florida has Miami, Tampa & Jacksonville, Texas has Dallas (in "Dallas Cowboys New Stadium", no less) & Houston, California's got San Diego (and they're really hoping for LA)...New Orleans gets one, Minnesota might get one if the Metrodome ever gets updated, Indianapolis is virtually guaranteed one (probably XLVI) shortly as long as the Lucas Oil Stadium doesn't collapse...Tennessee is a potential target...

And now, finally, my question:

Tyson in his prime v. Ali in his prime. Who wins, and decision or KO (and KO in what round)?

Ali in the seventh round by KO. Three of these rounds Ali is just dancing around making Tyson tired.

What is the most nerve racking sport of all time?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

To participate in, probably womens gymnastics or figure skating.

Think about it, take this really young girl and stable her from the onset of memory with some abusive psycho demanding coach, all culminating in quick moments where she'll be judged subjectively. Their suicide rate has to be astronomical.

Who is the most violent athlete that isn't/wasn't involved with a fighting sport (boxing, martial arts, etc)?

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

The first name that came to mind was Bob Probert, that coke-addled goon. Stu Grimson had some moments of sheer lunacy, though. Hang on, I'm gonna find the video of the fight where he bursts out of Mike Keenan's grip to go beat the shit out of some Maple Leafs. Then there was that one-punch KO against some guy on the Blues. Dick Butkus warrants consideration; he said he went out each game with the intent of killing someone.

Ty Cobb, hands down.

Who is/was the best league commissioner of all sports?

Nah, I could come up with quite a few worse than Cobb, scary as that sounds. Violent behavior like Cobb's was commonplace in his time.

The NFL tends to have stronger commissioners. I think Landis overall was a good commissioner despite the integration stuff. He took care of the Black Sox scandal and fought to preserve the minor leagues.

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

No. There are too many things working against its success. Both teams are horribly operated, and fans have no desire to go to games, due to a combination of potentially bad weather and inconvenient locations. It also doesn't help that it's a state of transplants in a sport with the most traditional and established fandoms. To this day, nobody is growing up as Marlins fans or Rays fans, they're just another generation of Yankees, Mets, or Red Sox fans. The most die-hard Marlin fan I've ever seen anywhere is Mik, and he's from New York, and I think he only supported the team because they debuted wearing an assload of teal. Keep Florida as a spring training haven, but there's been no concrete evidence that either Tampa-St. Petersburg or Miami is capable of supporting an 81-game, six-month home schedule, year-in-year-out. How many more years do we give them?

You know what I've thought would be neat? An NBA team in Alaska or Hawaii.

You think you're a good road team? Let's see how you handle that back-to-back in Phoenix and Honolulu.

Guest Smues

I don't know about Hawaii, but Alaska doesn't have the population base to support a pro team. Nor the facilities. Our ~8,000 seat arena is a piece of shit and the parking situation is god awful. I can't imagine how much they'd fuck up a full sized arena. I'd settle for a minor league baseball team up here.

That's a lot of traveling expenses for the team in Hawaii/Alaska though when they have to go out to the mainland to play. So that won't happen.

The Pacific Coast League did it for a long time, they had a team in Honolulu.

Guest Smues

And it always makes me laugh that the Aces are in the East Coast League. We sure are east coast!

The ECHL doesn't stand for East Coast Hockey League anymore. It doesn't stand for anything, in fact, it's just the ECHL.

Don McCafferty, 1970 Baltimore Colts. First year coach who came in and won the comedy of errors Super Bowl V with Don Shula's team, then didn't do much else between that and his death a couple years later.

Unfortunately, while I'm good at answering questions, I'm not good at asking them (one reason I'd not responded in this thread), but I wanted to get that one