TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

I don't believe Todd would be as good no matter where he went.

The Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a Stanley Cup in 40+ years and by the looks of it, will not win one in another 40 years either. The team is not looking to rebuild, and with past history always looked into the past instead of rebuilding (in the 95 season they didn't have the number four pick and Luongo was picked number four.) Sooner or later the younger generation will completly ignore the Leafs and instead cheer for a better and more promising team. Since 1967 when was the lowest point in Leafs History?

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

I'm no Leafologist, but I'm pretty sure the organizational nadir occurred under Ballard's watch. Probably when they cut Darryl Sittler loose. That was a gut punch. Worst moment for the Blackhawks: being coached by a Finnish playwright. On the bad home record:

"Hooome. Wot ees...'hooome'?"

Q: Sooooo, just how disastrous is the NBA All-Star Weekend gonna be THIS year, vis-a-vis the Las Vegas disaster? Considerably worse? Frighteningly worse? God help us all if anybody wanders out of the Designated Safe Dry Area of the city and into the lawless warzone.

I'm pretty sure The NBA AllStar Weekend will have it's share of casualties...Word is that Yao Ming is planning on destroying the Levies with his bare hands at the order of the dirty Communists in Beijing. This was the plan all along, you see. Also: Yao Ming is a robot.

Question: If you are a Chicago Bears fan, how do you reconcile your Packers hate with the overwhelming urge to have them win the Super Bowl and topple the evil empire? Let's face it, Eli isn't going to get it done. Do the packers get a free pass because it is for the greater good, and if so, can we go back to our normal state of existence post-XLII?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Absolutely not. I'd much rather see asswipe New England just get it over with rather than Green Bay coming out of nowhere and getting it done in the Superbowl the year after the Bears just fell over and died in front of God and everybody.

Who is your favorite professional bowler?

Absolutely not. I'd much rather see asswipe New England just get it over with rather than Green Bay coming out of nowhere and getting it done in the Superbowl the year after the Bears just fell over and died in front of God and everybody.

Who is your favorite professional bowler?

DUUUUUKE!

Did Shoeless Joe throw the series?

Parker Bohn III is the only guy whose name I remember from watching bowling on the Wide World of Sports at my grandmother's house, when my parents would drop me off over there to visit her on Saturdays. Wikipedia informs me that he's gone on to be one of the most successful professional bowlers in history, enjoying a tremendous run in the late 90s. Also, I don't know how you can't get behind this guy:

pba_parker-bohn.jpg

Reposted question: Who's currently the best superstar on a miserable team of some consistent awfulness? Garnett would have been my easy choice had he not been traded to the newly formed Voltron-esque Celtic monstrosity.

Did Shoeless Joe throw the series?

He was complicit, and accepted money for the purpose of throwing the series.

Reposted question: Who's currently the best superstar on a miserable team of some consistent awfulness? Garnett would have been my easy choice had he not been traded to the newly formed Voltron-esque Celtic monstrosity.

I'll let this question carry over.

I'd say even though he's out at the moment, NBA-wise, Elton Brand holds the position of best player on a consistantly awful team. Sure, The Clippers had that decent playoff run three years back but since then its been back to mediocrity. I'm not entirely unconvinced that the Spurs wouldn't be as successful with Brand on the team instead of Tim Duncan.

Here's sort of an oxymoronic question but bear with me; which team in any of the four major sports (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA) was the worst World Champion of all time?

Here's sort of an oxymoronic question but bear with me; which team in any of the four major sports (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA) was the worst World Champion of all time?

MLB: I would pick the 1987 Twins, a team with the fifth best win/loss record in their league and a negative run differential. The '06 Cardinals get the benefit of a doubt because they came off two 100+ win seasons.

Otherwise I can't really think of a truly bad champion in the other sports. Even teams with subpar seasons who won generally had good seasons on either side.

Which extinct/relocated franchise would you like to see return?

I guess in the NBA, I would like the San Diego Clippers to return. San Diego is a fairly large market and LA doesn't need two basketball teams.

Who is the most overrated coach coaching in pro sports right now?

Bill Belichick.

Ok, now I'll answer that seriously.

Flip Saunders.

If Magic Johnson hadn't retired...what direction would the NBA have taken. Would Jordan still have won 6 titles? Are the Lakers ever able to grab Kobe and Shaq?

Yeah I think the NBA would have still been the same...the 91 Finals was sort of a passing of the torch, I think. They would have probably grabbed Kobe and Shaq (or some other big name superstars) because Johnson would have been on his last legs at that point. They would have found superstars to supplement him by then.

Overrated coach: Brian Billick would've been the easy answer until a couple of weeks ago. Now, I'd probably have to go with Mike Shanahan. Anyone who says Belichick is overrated is just hating for hate's sake.

Next question: Someone offers you free tickets to any sporting event in the world this year. Which event do you pick?

Agreed, Lushus. The Bulls kicked the crap out of LA in the 1991 Finals and even if Magic hadn't gotten HIV his time on top of the league was over. By the time the Shaq/Kobe era would have hit Magic would have been either retired on on his last legs.

Let me back up now to that "worst champs in sports" question. The 1987 Twins are very likely the worst World Series winner ever, only winning because the AL had home field that year and the Metrodome sucked for visitors. If STL had home field that year they obviously take that series.

I don't really know enough about hockey to name anyone the Worst Ever Champ.

Now, the NFL. I think it almost has to be the 1980 Oakland Raiders. They were 11-5 with only a +68 differential on the season. Other nominees would be the 1988 49ers who were recordwise the worst SB winner ever 10-6, but I won't count them since I believe Montana was hurt that year (not to mention the 1989 team is one of the best ever). And putting aside their dominance afterwards, the 2001 Patriots were pretty much shit.

The NBA has had a bunch of crappy teams that have won the title. The 1975 Golden State Warriors were mediocre (48-34), the 1977 Trailblazers weren't much either (49-33), the 1978 Washington Bullets have to be the worst ever though, winning the title with a 44-38 record (hell the Bullets had that same record in 1997...and were 8 seed fodder for the Bulls!). I would mention the 1995 Houston Rockets, but that team struggled due to injuries and once they got Drexler and had everyone healthy for the playoffs they were a pretty strong team.

Anyone who says Belichick is overrated is just hating for hate's sake.

Personally, I think Belichick is great because of his media presence and because he's brought the Patriots so far from where they were when I first started watching them in 1990. But, isn't it possible that it's not just Belichick, but the orginization as a whole, that has brought success to New England? If so, you could say that Belichick is overrated.

Would the Dolphins have gone undefeated this year if Belichick was coaching them?

Guest Smues
Next question: Someone offers you free tickets to any sporting event in the world this year. Which event do you pick?

This year? It'd be hard not to pick the Olympics, other then I wouldn't want to have to go to China. Barring the Olympics I'd say World Series. But of course that depends who is playing but oh fuck it World Series is my answer.

Let's pretend after the 2004 season someone bought the Expos and didn't move them to Washington. The new owner isn't flush with cash, but does at least try to make the team competitive. How'd they do in the 2007, and what was there attendence like?

Anyone who says Belichick is overrated is just hating for hate's sake.

Personally, I think Belichick is great because of his media presence and because he's brought the Patriots so far from where they were when I first started watching them in 1990. But, isn't it possible that it's not just Belichick, but the orginization as a whole, that has brought success to New England? If so, you could say that Belichick is overrated.

Would the Dolphins have gone undefeated this year if Belichick was coaching them?

Of course not, but that's just a strawman. He's not so good that he could take any bunch of scrubs and make them undefeated. But there's no way they go 1-15. If he had the same say in personnel matters as he apparently does with the Patriots, they don't make any of the idiotic moves they made this year (giving away Chris Chambers, anyone?), plus the discipline he instills among the players would've allowed them to finish off a few more of those close games they had.

Didn't the Dolphins get a 2nd round pick for Chambers? I'd have done that deal.

As far as the Expos, lets say between 18,000-24,000.

What was the first pro sports jersey you ever owned?

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse
Overrated coach: Brian Billick would've been the easy answer until a couple of weeks ago. Now, I'd probably have to go with Mike Shanahan. Anyone who says Belichick is overrated is just hating for hate's sake.

He got busted for cheating, and his dynasty was built on goofy-ass officiating at convenient times, and players taking pay cuts to circumvent the salary cap. Give anyone that roster, illegal footage, and the serendipity of the refs digging up the Olde Towne Charter to overrule a fumble, and they'll flourish.

I can get behind Shanahan as overrated. He has that sort of "self-proclaimed genius" vibe that Billick and Belichick have.

What was the first pro sports jersey you ever owned?

An old-logo Senators home jersey. First jersey with a name on it was my Roy Halladay home jersey.

What's the most obscure Olympic event that you love watching? Winter or summer is fine.

Bobsleding. Not just for the speed elements but mostly residual affection for that dopey John Candy movie.

Q: What's the best sports story/event that you'd like to see adapted for film? (that hasn't already).

Colts beating the Patriots in the AFC finals last year.

Question: Say you are the GM for the Clevland Cavs, Who would you trade for to help Lebron win the NBA championship?

A: Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes and some sort of draft pick to the Kings for Mike Bibby, Mikki Moore, and Spencer Hawes. The NBA Trade Machine says it works too.

This way the train wreck of sloppy play from Gooden is finally over and they can let Hughes go to a bad team where he seems to flourish. After that they can just start Varejao at PF and let him dominate. They will have legit PG in Bibby and a guy that can actually hit a game winning shot... Mikki Moore and Hawes will be useful if and when Z finally falls apart for good.

Q: Which team has the best chance at making the NBA playoffs and winning their first round match-up, Atlanta Hawks or the Portland Trailblazers?

He got busted for cheating, and his dynasty was built on goofy-ass officiating at convenient times, and players taking pay cuts to circumvent the salary cap. Give anyone that roster, illegal footage, and the serendipity of the refs digging up the Olde Towne Charter to overrule a fumble, and they'll flourish.

I can get behind Shanahan as overrated. He has that sort of "self-proclaimed genius" vibe that Billick and Belichick have.

Yeah, but he and Jake Plummer spanked the Patriots that one year in the playoffs... even for a Bronco hater, it was beautiful

I'd say the Hawks. Even if Portland should hang on and win the Northwest, they'll probably end up with the Mavs or the Lakers in the 4-5 matchup, and I don't see either of those teams losing in the first round. In the East, I could see the Magic or possibly the Raptors getting bounced. But the Hawks will be hard pressed to get enough wins to avoid Boston or Detroit.

Q: Besides Oden and Durant, who will have the best career of the '07 draftees?

Edited by alfdogg

What's the best sports story/event that you'd like to see adapted for film? (that hasn't already).

I've often compared Phil Mickelson's 2004 Masters win to

Chris Benoit's

title win at Wrestlemania 20, or the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series that year. I'd say any of those are applicable, especially the latter.

My question: I'll never look down my nose at any fan of it, but aren't UFC and MMA pretty barbaric? It's not technically a question, but talk me out of that;

Oden. Durant is a chucker, and while his athleticism is matched by few players, Oden's size and strength on the low block is near unguardable. I like what I see from Durant, but he takes a lot of outside shots that he can't make. He needs to use his height and go to the post, cause even though he's not going to gain a lot of weight, a step-back shot could be an important tool in his career. He needs to stop hanging around the three point line. He's shooting around 28 percent from back there, I think.

Answer CG's question.