TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

To answer Tzar's question, I'd have to say Rod Marinelli's a worse coach than Norv. I love the guy's attitude and he did manage to lead Detroit to the most wins since 2000 with a roster that's not very talented, but I think he's overmatched as a head coach. He basically allowed Martz to run the show this year and the team crashed and burned the 2nd half of this season. If you follow this team, you'll also notice that Rod's HORRIBLE with challenges. And for a guy who's really only been a D-line coach in the NFL, the D-line was pretty disappointing.

How will history remember the Spurs if they don't win the NBA title this season (seeing as they've never won back-2-back championships or even been to the Finals twice in a row)?

It all depends on who wins the title and how far the Spurs go. It'll be considered a disappointment if they don't make it to the conference finals.

Who was the best player that was never drafted in any sport, or if you can all four main sports?

I don't follow basketabll all that much (so if I'm way off here, fire away), but I don't see the Spurs not winning this year as a letdown - the history books should have at least a footnote of how much Boston improved. The Spurs did what, three titles in eight years? I'm not going to think of them the same as the Atlanta Braves or anything.

The Detroit Red Wings won three Stanley Cups (and lost a Final) in an eight-year period, and I'm not going to remember them for not beating Colorado in 1996 or, come to think of it, I can't recall who they didn't beat off the top of my head; I remember those teams for being a dynamic, exciting, offensive juggernaut. Save the last four words (as I don't think I've ever actually watched a Spurs game), what makes a less-than-championship season any different in Texas?

Edit: Know what? I'm not correcting my misspelling. Let's see how bad a pun can be made of it. As good as this thread has been, it's won by anyone who can find a picture of Marge's "Harley Globetrotter" thing.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Ask questions after answering questions, people.

what makes a less-than-championship season any different in Texas?

In terms of basketball, I'm not sure how much they care. Texas is clearly a football state, and has been since the sport was invented.

Can you justify the existence of the WNBA in one paragraph or less? Try.

Can you justify the existence of the WNBA in one paragraph or less? Try.

Yes. There is always room for niche professional leagues. A lot of them, like Arena II professional football, float completely under the national radar. A league does not have to be on the level of the big 3-4 to exist. The problem is that the WNBA is nationally promoted and compared to the NBA and played in those size arenas, and it is never going to reach that level.

Here is one in the wake of the NE Patriots' win. What factors do you consider when rating a franchise all-time? Strictly win/loss record? Or point differential, records along 3-5 consecutive seasons, etc.?

Usually I'd judge them in this order:

1.) Number of championships in a specific era.

2.) W/L Record.

3.) Point differential.

4.) Strength of Season

There's nothing going to change my opinion which team had the best dynasty in any sport. The 1970's Montreal Canadiens were the best dynasty in any sporting era. Four Stanley Cups in four years and with a record of 229-46-45 (503 points) an .837 winning percentage and scoring 1420 goals and giving up 732 goals, this team was strong. It doesn't help that this team has a plethora of Hall of Famers on here too.

The 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens are the best team in Hockey History dominating the league and capping that off with a Stanley Cup.

Question: As we all know, Tiger Woods pretty much rose golf's popularity ten fold in the last decade, but is the market for golf been oversaturated?

The golf market's been the same for years. Golf's problem is its horrific repetitiveness, and I'm not even talking about the gameplay.

If Tiger and Phil play they get hyped to high heaven. If a girl shows up and tries to compete (Wie or Sorenstam) then they get hyped for the first half and Tiger/Phil get the hype added to theirs for the weekend when the girls are back at home making sandwiches or whatever they do when they make fools of themselves by shooting on the same level as some nobody who barely deserves his Q Card. If Tiger/Phil don't play and no girls show up to try to compete, then nobody gives a shit and it's just full of faux-subtle "Now uh Tigah, Tigah coulda made that green in two but uh, this um, this here uh, Els! Els can't make that shot, Randy." blathering.

Question: Assuming you're given a blank check, name a stadium you want to see updated/upgraded/modified and what change(s) you want to be made.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'd plant a bunch of dandelions and ragweed on Lambeau field.

Where is the "line" on touchdown celebrations?

Using "non-football" props, I think. I have no problem with group celebrations, dunking the ball over the goal post (or similar stunts), or leaping into the crowd. But when you're planting cell phones and Sharpies, that's probably too much.

Question: should there be a salary FLOOR in Major League Baseball? And, if yes, what should it be?

The golf market's been the same for years. Golf's problem is its horrific repetitiveness, and I'm not even talking about the gameplay.

If Tiger and Phil play they get hyped to high heaven. If a girl shows up and tries to compete (Wie or Sorenstam) then they get hyped for the first half and Tiger/Phil get the hype added to theirs for the weekend when the girls are back at home making sandwiches or whatever they do when they make fools of themselves by shooting on the same level as some nobody who barely deserves his Q Card. If Tiger/Phil don't play and no girls show up to try to compete, then nobody gives a shit and it's just full of faux-subtle "Now uh Tigah, Tigah coulda made that green in two but uh, this um, this here uh, Els! Els can't make that shot, Randy." blathering.

Question: Assuming you're given a blank check, name a stadium you want to see updated/upgraded/modified and what change(s) you want to be made.

You completly missed the whole point of the question.

Using "non-football" props, I think. I have no problem with group celebrations, dunking the ball over the goal post (or similar stunts), or leaping into the crowd. But when you're planting cell phones and Sharpies, that's probably too much.

Question: should there be a salary FLOOR in Major League Baseball? And, if yes, what should it be?

Yes there should be, but I can't give a number because I'm out of the loop on team salaries. Maybe Al can give a better answer on this.

What championship trophy has the most prestige behind it?

As far as the trophy itself? Stanley Cup, hands down.

Q: If you could assemble your "dream team" of announcers/pre game/sideline reporters for whichever sport, who would they be?

Yes there should be, but I can't give a number because I'm out of the loop on team salaries. Maybe Al can give a better answer on this.

I don't think you'd attach a hard number. You would want probably a percentage, say, 50% of the median team salary. In 2006 that would place you at $36 million, which would force the Washington Nationals to spend an extra million and the Marlins to spend an additional $22 million.

I'll do it for each sport.

MLB: Vin Scully. All you need.

NBA: Chick Hearn with Bill Walton, Ahmad Rashad on the sidelines, with the TNT studio crew doing the pregame.

NHL: Jim Hughson and Bill Clement, with Don Cherry and Ron MacLean in the studio, with Pierre McGuire (who I hate) at the bench area.

NFL: Howard Cosell with Frank Gifford and Don Meredith, with whoever on the sideline, and the CBS pregame crew. I like those guys.

NCAA Football: Keith Jackson with Gary Danielson (the two best at what they do/did, IMO) on commentary, Lynn Swann on the sideline, with the College Gameday crew doing pregame.

NCAA Basketball: Gus Johnson with Dick Vitale (this would be a WILD commentary team), whoever on the sidelines, actually, make that asshole Packer do the leg work, and stick Gumbel with Clark Kellogg in the studio.

Let the question continue.

King I have to agree with you on the hockey analysist. If there is like an insider or intermission person to be added it would be Bob Mackenzie. But pretty much I agree with you, except maybe Chris Cuthbert instead of Jim Hughston.

I'd rather stick Kenny Smith with Bill Walton doing commentary. Smith is a pretty good commentator, and with Bill Walton I think they'd work well off each other. Also, Kevin Harlan is a beast. So it'd basically be the NBA 2K series commentating.

In ten years do you think the NHL will pass the NBA in terms of popularity and interest?

Doubtful. They would have really have to get better television exposure and marketing in the next 2-4 years so they could start to build a new, stronger fan base. Also, they might have to tone down some of the roughness of gameplay, as that seems to be a deterrant.

Do you think that there will ever be a second NBA franchise in Canada?

I'm inclined to say no, but admittedly I don't really have any backup to that answer. I don't know what the issue was that caused the Grizzlies to move, and I don't know that the Raptors wouldn't have followed their lead had they not had Vince Carter to sell so many tickets for so long.

Let's say the Celtics had won the draft lottery this year, and drafted Greg Oden. Do you think they still trade for Kevin Garnett?

No.

If Vancouver couldn't get behind an NBA team, I don't think there is any other Canadian city that would want one. There is no way basketball would survive in Montreal and the rest of the major Canadian cities wont show much more interest as well.

What would happen if Doug Flutie wasn't run out of town in Chicago during his first NFL stint?

To answer Alf.

No and Boston wouldn't be as good either. I'm not too sure if Oden injury happened during preseason or before that, but if he broke his leg with the Celtics, Toronto might be first in the division.

The only good thing Gary Bettman is going to get out of his legacy is the introduction to the salary cap and tie it to revenue sharing. The lockout is one of the many issues that tarnished his reputation, but not as serious as expanding hockey too quickly into markets that was never a hot spot for hockey and America losing all interest in the game itself.

Who is the most overrated player in the NBA right now?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm not the best person to answer that question, so if someone has a better answer, by all means chime in, but I'm saying Ben Wallace. He shouldn't even be in Chicago, let alone getting paid like he is.

What living athlete's career was most damaged by drug use?

Are we talking about currently playing? I can't think of any. But living athlete has to be Dwight Gooden. He won The Cy Young at 20 and potentially could have been one of the greats but he threw it all away by being a massive cokehead.

I'm not sure how much of it was drugs or how much of it was just the dude being nuts but Ike Ibeabuchi could have been the dominant heavyweight of this decade.

Speaking of boxing, this board often talks about MMA's impact on the world of pro wrestling but I'd like to hear someone's thoughts on MMA's impact on pro boxing. Do you think MMA could potentially kill boxing or can they co-exist?

Who is the most overrated player in the NBA right now?

Carmelo Anthony. The guy is a total one-dimensional player. There are several players in the league that are clearly better all-around, but don't get the recognition since they didn't happen to come into the league with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Close second goes to Stephen Jackson.

Answer Kamala's question.

Edited by alfdogg

Stadium question: Astrodome. Hands down.

To Kamala: As much as I would love to see MMA destroy boxing once and for all, it just never will happen. Boxing will always be relevant to the masses. That and they've got more of a foothold with people like HBO.. Showtime and ESPN. MMA (and I guess when I say MMA, I say UFC since their the "top flight" organization) doesn't have that luxury and I think that's what hurts it. At least in Boxing, you'll get two megastars in a fight.. in MMA.. you get posturing and hope of a Randy / Fedor fight, but ultimately it never does.

So yeah, they'll be in co-existance for a long while.

Question: Does ESPN realize they've strayed so far from what was their bread and butter and have become nothing more than a mockery?