TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

If the Chan Gailey and Dave Campo Eras couldn't kill off my love of the Cowboys, I don't know what could.

As for the Cubs, I don't think there's anything they could do to lose me as a fan, short of turning into a carbon copy of the Pirates or Devil Rays (i.e. bad managment, many years of shitty, hopeless teams, and low payroll/investment in farm system). After several years of that, I might dump them.

Question: Do you think that referees/umpires should have to face the media after games to answer questions about any questionable/wrong calls?

EDIT: Damn Lushus...too quick.

I don't think they should, referees call what they see on the field. They aren't perfect and as my manager at work pointed out that if your team was in the position that _one_ call lost you the game you weren't going to/shouldn't win anyways.

Question: Best Power Forward in NBA history?

Tim Duncan. He has the rings and the numbers. Unlike other top PFs that have won championships, he doesn't have that other bonafide HOF player playing next to him (Parker is getting pretty close though).

Who is the second best Laker in team history?

Mychal Thompson. :lol:

Wow, that's an interesting question. I could pick any one of Kareem, Wilt, Shaq or Kobe and get people to support it. I'd have to say Kareem by an eyelash.

A variation on an often-asked question: Who's the best quarterback never to PLAY IN a Super Bowl?

I'm not up to par on NFL history but did Warren Moon ever play in a Superbowl? I've watched old video of him in the CFL and he was amazing. Although i'm sure there might be better quarterbacks all around that never played in the big game.

Question for the hockey fans in here. Which will be the next NHL franchise to get contracted?

Czech made a good argument a while ago as to why contraction isn't going to happen to any big sports league soon, and that's probably very true, but if I had to pick I'd say Nashville.

Is Kobe's 81 more impressive than Wilt's 100?

Question: Do you think that referees/umpires should have to face the media after games to answer questions about any questionable/wrong calls?

While I can go either way on that one, I do feel fining coaches/players for saying "the referee blew that call" is absolutlely ricockulous. The only way the umpires/referees can improve is to be critiqued for their mistakes, and sports in general (and the NBA in particular) seem to feel it's bad for the game when the referees are called out, even if it's obviously justified.

I'm still waiting for a referee to be reprimanded for calling Bibby for a foul against Kobe in game 6 of the Western Conference a few years ago (2003?) for being elbowed in the face by Kobe and essentially handing the Lakers the game, forcing a game 7 that the Lakers won even though it never should have been played.

Question: What was the best team to not win its sports championship that year?

1906 Chicago Cubs, pretty clearly. They had the best win/loss record over a multi-year span as well, so they weren't a fluke team.

Here's one. Where should MLB expand next?

1906 Chicago Cubs, pretty clearly. They had the best win/loss record over a multi-year span as well, so they weren't a fluke team.

Portland, Oregon! And it's not just because I'm from there. It's the largest city in the United States with only one sports team, and it rains less during the baseball season than several current MLB cities. As the Trail Blazers have shown, theres an extremely loyal fanbase if you give them a decent product.

Here's a question. If you took a time machine, and transported the 1972 Dolphins to today, could they beat the 2007 Dolphins?

Honestly nowhere. If anything move some teams around but don't add more. It's already watered down as it is.

If you had the choice to see your favorite team be totally dominant and win just 1 championship and then suck every other year, or be very good and competitive but never win a championship in your lifetime, what would you choose?

Portland, Oregon or Charlotte, North Carolina. Both are large cities with growing populations that have shown the ability to support pro franchises. I worry a bit about Portland being able to draw significantly without severely damaging the viability of the Mariners though.

Here's a question. If you took a time machine, and transported the 1972 Dolphins to today, could they beat the 2007 Dolphins?

I don't think that the '72 team would have a shot in hell at beating today's Dolphins. The NFL, more than any other sport today, is a game of technology and quick evolution. The speed of the game, size of the players and preparation of the coaching staff would give a huge advantage to the modern game.

If you had the choice to see your favorite team be totally dominant and win just 1 championship and then suck every other year, or be very good and competitive but never win a championship in your lifetime, what would you choose?

I would choose the latter, and as a fan of the Red Sox, I thought I would be resigned to that fate before 2004. Part of the beauty of being a fan is that renewable hope that this year is the year. A team that is constantly awful is hard to root for.

Question: What is the worst organization in sports, from top to bottom? That includes everything, from ownership, front office, management and fans to on the field success, team history and facilities.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays. They have no history, have always been kind of crappy, they have a shitty stadium and despite some good prospects, don't have much potential for the future thanks to being in the tough AL East. The Arizona Cardinals are a pretty close second but they've had decent years here and there and always seem to be one year away from being successful.

Will we ever see another professional two sport athlete?

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse
I don't think that the '72 team would have a shot in hell at beating today's Dolphins. The NFL, more than any other sport today, is a game of technology and quick evolution. The speed of the game, size of the players and preparation of the coaching staff would give a huge advantage to the modern game.

I want to live in a world where football teams from years apart are not hypothetically compared.

I want to live in a world where football teams from years apart are not hypothetically compared.

Well, in asking the question, I wasn't doing the ESPN "WHO'S NUMBER ONE!?!?" thing. The question could have just as easily been phrased "Could a football team full of athletes from the 70s compete today?"

Tampa Bay Devil Rays. They have no history, have always been kind of crappy, they have a shitty stadium and despite some good prospects, don't have much potential for the future thanks to being in the tough AL East. The Arizona Cardinals are a pretty close second but they've had decent years here and there and always seem to be one year away from being successful.

Bad is the Pittsburgh Pirates, a team that has not experienced a winning season since 1992 even in the NL Central. They've gotten premium draft picks for YEARS, and the last home grown guy they developed into an All-Star was Jason Kendall.

They're not just awful, they're every bit as hopeless as they were 10 years ago.

Ever is a very long time, so I'm inclined to say yes. If baseball swings back to a speed game, then someone could carve out that niche'. There have been people in college lately who competed at the Division 1 level in multiple sports. Jordan Kent at the University of Oregon played Basketball, Football and Track. Trindon Holliday at LSU plays football and runs track. Samardzija at Notre Dame with baseball and football. Dennis Dixon with baseball and football (though he didnt play in college, he was still drafted high.)

What's the next FCS school to make the jump to FBS in football?

I don't think anyone will move for a while since after WKU went to D1 football they have done a freeze on teams jumping. Maybe Appalachian St. in the future?

Let me back up to that NBA Jordan question. If Jordan doesn't come back in 1995 I think the Orlando Magic become a dominant force in the East for years, at least until Penny broke down physically. I've always thought Shaq got out of Orlando and went to the Lakers in part because he saw that the Magic had no hope in hell against the Bulls after the Bulls crushed them in 1996.

Dare I say long term the league might have been better off? Cause Jordan became a crutch for the NBA to fall back on and once he retired in 1998 I don't think they have ever been the same. The league stayed fairly strong in 1994-95 without him, but then that's because the other teams still had everyone.

Question: What if the Phoenix Suns hadn't have traded Dan Majerle in 1995? Would they have ever made the Finals again, or were Seattle and Utah too strong by that point?

Re: Majerle.

I think they wouldn't have gotten back to the Finals even without trading him, you had the Rockets two years and then the Utah team just came together those following years, and I don't think Phoenix had the firepower even with Thunder Dan to get past them.

Q: Will a second tier pro-football league _ever_ survive these days?

Q: Will a second tier pro-football league _ever_ survive these days?

As Al pointed out, Arena Football League is a second tier league. Hell, you could count the CFL as well.

Q: Not sure this qualifies, but if you possessed the skill level to play a sport professionally, would you rather be the superstar on a perpetually bad team (including the higher salary and media recognition for being a star) or a role player on a championship dynasty (modest salary and playing time with little recognition outside of die-hard fans)?

That's a tough one, just because I can't think of too many top-level superstars who are on really perpetually bad teams. In the team sports, you're either a good enough superstar that you make your shitty team a contender now and then (LeBron and Iverson come to mind) or you're not really perceived as a superstar because the guys surrounding you fail to make you stand out in any way. It can work in baseball, I suppose, when it's easier to compartmentalize an individual and isolate his impact. I guess I'd rather be Matt Light than Great Baseball Player On The Devil Rays, since the amount of money and privilege a guy like that gets is still pretty extravagant by our feeble little standards.

Since I had such a hard time with that one: who is currently the best "superstar" trapped on a miserable squad of some longevity? Garnett probably would have won this award last year, but he's obviously out of that doghouse now.

Role player, easily. I can name some scrubs from the Habs when they last won, the Jays when they last won. I can certainly name some key players on those team who weren't necessarily stars. Mike Gartner is sixth all-time in goal scoring in the NHL, and he was fifth when he retired. He's likely going to be remembered more for never winning a Cup - should that be?

And that's from a fan standpoint - if I'm entirely empathizing with the question, then it's certainly role player. If I can have a fairly successful career, reach the ultimate goal of any athlete (that last phrase should answer your question), and still maintain my privacy by and large, isn't that the perfect balance?

What can we expect from the upcoming Beijing Olympics from a social aspect?

We can expect it to look clean and everything nice. The chinese government won't let anyone see the worst part of the country.

Question: Who will get in the Hall of fame first: Clemens or Mcgwire?

Clemens without a question. He's a sure fire HOFer to begin with whereas McGwire could go either way really.

Q: As an owner of your favorite sports team, would you rather employ the philosophy that "Its my money I want to make sure it's well spent, so I'll do the spending myself" or "Well I should hire the best possible staff to build a contender and just sit back and seeing how it goes"?

Q: As an owner of your favorite sports team, would you rather employ the philosophy that "Its my money I want to make sure it's well spent, so I'll do the spending myself" or "Well I should hire the best possible staff to build a contender and just sit back and seeing how it goes"?

Odds are if I have enough money to afford a sports team, I either inherited it or got rich doing something else. I'd sign the checks and expect to be consulted on big decisions, but I'd trust my staff and their recommendations.

Q. How many more championships would the Boston Celtics have won if not for the untimely demises of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis?

Hard to say with Len Bias, because he never got the chance to prove himself as a pro player. He could have come in and been a superstar/franchise player, or he could have taken the path of Christian Laettner or Calbert Cheaney, great players in college but journeyman pro players. We'll never know.

As for Reggie Lewis, he was an All-Star caliber player, but I don't really recall him being the level of player that could have led that team to the Finals. That was right at the time that the big three was at the end of their rope, and I don't think they had any really good building blocks for the future at that time to go around him. Unless you count Sherman Douglas and Alaa Abdelnaby, which I don't.

Q: Knowing what you know now, if we're redoing the 1996 NBA draft, and you're Philadelphia with the #1 pick, do you still pick Iverson, or do you pick Kobe Bryant?

Edited by alfdogg

Guest Smues
Q: Knowing what you know now, if we're redoing the 1996 NBA draft, and you're Philadelphia with the #1 pick, do you still pick Iverson, or do you pick Kobe Bryant?

Iverson, because you don't know if Kobe will actually sign if you draft him. Didnt he say hed only sign with chicago, LA, or new york?

If Todd Van Poppel hadn't said he wouldn't sign with the Braves and the Braves had drafted him, would he have turned out decent under Leo and Bobby compared to how he did?

Well, we're assuming he signs, obv. That didn't enter my mind when I came up with the question.

Edited by alfdogg