TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xavier Cromartie

American Idol (season 7)

you know, not to be biased towards my sleeper pick, but Chick-EZ is WAY better than Kristy Lee Cook, that Aussie dude, fake Irish chick, Archuletta and Jason Castro, let's not fuck around here.

I think Simon knows where this is going with Archuletta and is going to try to start swaying America away from him. This thing is going to boil down to frail, weeping blonde chick and David Cook.

By the way, if he comes out with an album and calls himself Chick-EZ, you all are witnesses, I want my damn royalties.

Lushus I thought the same thing about the bottom 2 both being black, haha. Chikezie was certainly not the worst singer in the field. For some reason I thought the judges had it in for him the whole way through, constantly badmouthing some fairly decent performances.

I personally thought Ramiel should have been gone. She did a song that she wasn't suited for at all, and that we've seen other singers do much better.

I thought Ramiel was the worst, and looks like she doesn't really care/belong.

I think that the constant bad performances/critiques have gotten to her. She could've gone the Sanjaya route of not giving a shit, but I don't think that's in her personality.

Disagree about Chickeze, Lush. I didn't think he was anything special, and he doesn't have the fanbase, so he was gonna be gone at some point regardless. But I suppose playong the patriotic card saved Kristy for a week.

Syesha, I'm surprised about though. It seems like she's starting to hit her stride at the right time, and people aren't recognizing.

David Pimpchuleta -

"Appalachian Memories"

Syesha Mercado -

"I Will Always Love You"

Carly Smithson -

"Here You Come Again"

Kristy Lee Cook -

"Coat of Many Colors"

Ramiele Malubay -

"Do I Ever Cross Your Mind"

Michael Johns -

"It's All Wrong, But It's All Right"

Jason Castro -

"Travelin' Thru"

Brooke White -

"Jolene"

David Cook -

"Little Sparrow"

Dial Idol has the bottom 3 as

Kristy Lee Cook, Jason Castro, and Ramielle Malubay.

Also more detailed breakdown:

Well its time for me to give you my spoilers review for the top 9.

David Arculeta, Michael Johns, David Cook, and Syesha Mercado are all predicted to be 100% safe and not in the bottom 3.

The predicted order for the other six are Brooke White, Carly Smithson, Kristy Lee Cook, Jason Castro, and Ramielle Malubay.

Ramielle is predicted to have bottomed out in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, New York, Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina.

Jason Castro bottomed out n California, Georgia, South Carolina, and Pennsylvania.

David Cook amazingly bottomed out in a state, that being New Jersey.

The following states have no score being reported: Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Alaska, Hawaii, and Maine.

The Following states are too close to say for sure: Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Iowa, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Delaware, West Virginia, and Tennessee.

The contestants finishing first in individual states are as follows:

Brooke White was the top vote getter in Washington, Montana, Missouri, Louisiana, and West Virginia.

David Cook was first in Nevada, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Ohio, Virginia, and Connecticut.

Jason Castro was first in North Carolina and New Jersey.

Ramiele Malubay was the #1 vote getter in California.

Carly Smithson was tops in Delaware and New York.

Syesha was the top person in Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Nebraska, and Minnesota.

David Archuleta was the top vote getter in the most # of states: Iowa, Arkansas, Texas, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Maryland.

If they update the site before the results episode tonight, I'll try to post, but no guarantees.

dude, she's not that good. I'd rank Fake Irish Girl above her at this point. Syesha is the best female.

It doesn't matter, that little fag Archusucksalot is winning.

dude, she's not that good. I'd rank Fake Irish Girl above her at this point. Syesha is the best female.

It doesn't matter, that little fag Archusucksalot is winning.

Brooke's good for what she does, although I'd agree on Syesha. She's peaking at the right time, and is the only one that stands a chance against Archuleta singing the prototypical Idol-style.

She needs to lay off the Whitney though - and by that I don't mean sing Celine/Mariah. Simon's assessment was true - Syesha had a very good arrangement to start but regressed into a Whitney-lite finish - which actually wasn't bad at all, but opened the door for the Whitney comparisons.

Artist AI contestants should never cover:

Phil Collins

Whitney Houston

Stevie Wonder

Mariah Carey

Celine Dion

Any others? AI History has proven that if you attempt one of their songs, you're almost always doomed to failure.

Artist AI contestants should never cover:

Phil Collins

Whitney Houston

Stevie Wonder

Mariah Carey

Celine Dion

Any others? AI History has proven that if you attempt one of their songs, you're almost always doomed to failure.

Not an artist, but Bohemian Rhapsody shouldn't be performed in the 90-150 seconds alloted to the contestants.

I think you've covered the main 5. In the next group you'd probably have to have:

Christina Aguilera

Alicia Keys

i'd also put queen in that category. michael's version was not good. elliott yamin did a pretty good version of "somebody to love" during his queen week, but i can't remember any others that were above grotesque posturing.

i thought overall the performances were surprisingly good. dolly parton's songs end up lending themselves pretty well to alternative arrangements.

"idol gives back" should be a fireball of awesome clusterfuckage. i'm willing to bet that brooke and david ar(e there cats in america?)chuleta start crying in the middle of their songs, because they're so stricken by the plight of those poor little children in africa.

also, somebody needs to bust out "man in the mirror" for the occasion. i was very disappointed no one picked it last year. and maybe david cook will be smart enough to sing prince's "the cross."

I found a couple of possible song spoilers for Idol Gives Back week...

David Cook - “Innocent” - Our Lady Peace

David Archuleta - “Angels” - Robbie Williams

If this is true, fuck. I've been waiting 7 seasons for someone to sing Robbie Williams, and Archuleta is probably gonna sing a craptastic Jessica Simpson-style cover. That or he'll try to go all Joss Stone on it which... I don't really need to think about that. Joss is pretty hot (despite lacking ass, which has nothing to do with anything. Just saying.). I don't need Archuleta trying piss on Joss' singing by even attempting it.

Song Spoilers, quoted from Vote for the Worst:

Syscreecha

"I Believe" by Mantasia

BigHead Cook

"Innocent" by Our Lady Peace

Cunty

"The Show Must Go On" by Queen

Skeletor

"You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor

Aussie Douche

"Dream On" by Aerosmith

Pothead

"Over The Rainbow" by Judy Garland

KKKristy Lee

"Anyway" by Martina McBride

Gaspuleta

"Angels" by Robbie Williams

So yeah, those songs didn't really inspire. Scary that Jason - on a fucking ukelele - was arguably best of the night thanks to keeping it simple.

Cook should've sung "Thief" instead of "Innocent" - the latter surprisingly doesn't sound good without Raine's nasal whining.

Kristy? Should be gone, but you know noone's going home this week.

Aussie Guy should've known that singing "Dream On" would lead to no good. That's probably the hardest Aerosmith song to do well, and he fell well short of the mark.

Carly should be commended for finally wearing something form-fitting. Her performance lends credence to GtD's assessment of Queen songs. Although someone doing Bicycle Race with the bells would be awesome.

Don't know that Brooke should be called Skeletor (isn't that Mark Anthony's nickname?) but whatever. Is it me or does she look like Piper Perabo?

And Archuleta? Fuck you for pissing all over one of my favourite songs. And now my main fear is that they're gonna pull that same shit they did last year with the Jordin swerve that all but officially gives him the title.

If I'm understanding correctly, tomorrow is just a random feel good show and Thursday is the elimination show.

Here's my review and analysis of the dial idol figures:

We’re down to our Top 8 which means it could be easier or harder to determine who is going where, just depending on how well spread out the votes are. They actually do look very spread out with the exception of the top vote getter.

The predicted top 3 are David Archuleta, Jason Castro, and Kristy Lee Cook, with David being the only of the three guaranteed to not be bottom 3. Jason is predicted to be safe but due to the margin of error he COULD be as low as #6 putting him in the bottom 3, but he’s not going home tonight. Same for Kristy. She could possibly be bottom 3, but she’s not predicted to go home. She could be as high as #1 but that’s pure foolishness. She’s great, to me, but I don’t think there’s that much of a margin of error.

The remaining 5 are all in danger.

Brooke is predicted to be in fourth place, but she could be as high as #2 or she could be going home. Still it’s safe to assume she’ll be safe.

Michael Johns is showing up in the #5 spot but he could be as high as #2 or as low as #8. Still his #s are REALLY close to Brooke’s #s. So he could be bottom 3 but it’s not likely.

David Cook is showing up in the #6 spot and predicted to be in the bottom 3. But he’s only .02 percentage points behind Michael Johns so its REALLY close.

Syesha Mercado and Carly were trading the 7 and 8 spots back and forth last night while voting was going on. It’s panned out to Syesha landing in the 7 spot, predicted to be bottom 3 and Carly Smithson falling way down to #8 predicted to go home (sad face). Both of them COULD be as high as #4 or as low as #8 though, but looking at the #s, Carly is not even in the same bracket of #s as Syesha.

Honestly the whole night was fantastic performances for me. Michael Johns’ performance of Dream On was good up until the end, and Simon and Randy rightfully tore into him. Still it was over all good sans hitting the WRONG NOTE on the scream.

Syesha sang a Fantasia song. I immediately slumped in my seat and made a sound of disgust. Within 30 seconds I was back up tapping my foot and bobbing my head, and gave the young lady a standing, living room ovation. I can’t stand Fantasia; nothing about her has ever impressed me. Yet Simon and Randy act like she was better than Rueben, Carrie, Taylor, Jordin, Kelly, etc. Whatever, they are highly paid millionaires. Anyway, Syesha took a pile of rubbish and made it into a diamond last night in my eyes.

Castro blew me away with his simplicity yet brilliance. My mother was watching, she was bawling. She also was already emotional, sis leaving back for the army that morning.

Kristy did phenomenal and I think she has put herself back in the game. I again wish she wasn’t such a country girl but she does it well. Looking at the #s, obviously others feel the same.

Carly has some really powerful beautiful eyes. The problem is as the judges pointed out, she looked angry. If this weren’t inspirational night she probably would have had rave reviews in that regard. Either way doesn’t look good for her. I enjoyed it anyway.

David Cook needs to realize that he has an audience in American Idol that GENERALLY isn’t going to be familiar with a band like “Our Lady Peace.” He did a good job, but seriously I think it was lost on a good # of the audience. He better do better next week if he doesn’t go home.

David Archuleta…. I hate this kid. Not really. He’s great. Seriously. Nothing you can say about him. I want to boo him but I just can’t.

Brooke White is so cute. She’s growing on me. I don’t think she’ll win this by any means but I can see her surviving another 4 weeks. She was the right one to close the show, I agree.

By the states:

Least vote getters:

Carly bottomed out in the following states: Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Michigan.

Syesha bottomed out in Wisconsin, Indiana, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and New Jersey.

David Cook bottomed out in Alabama.

David Archuleta bottomed out in Kentucky.

Michael Johns Bottomed out in Indiana and Ohio.

Kristi Lee Cook bottomed out in Missouri.

Jason Castro bottomed out in California.

Alaska, Hawaii, New Mexico, Idaho, and Rhode Island have no scores reporting.

All the rest of the states were too close to call for an individual loser.

The predicted winners by state:

Again, cannot pull anything out of Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, or Rhode Island. Maine was too close to call but it’s really close between David Cook and Michael Johns.

Brooke White is your top vote getter in Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, West Virginia, and Virginia.

Michael Johns is tops in Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Missouri, and New York.

Jason Castro is tops in North Dakota, Arkansas, Texas, Indiana, and New Jersey.

Kristy Lee Cook is #1 in Alabama, Nevada, and Kentucky.

Syesha is # 1 in Delaware, Georgia, Nebraska, and Oregon.

David Cook is predicted best in California, Arizona, Kansas, Wisconsin, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.

Archuletta is tops in South Dakota, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Iowa, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Hampshire.

Carly is not the top vote getter in any states.

So I predict Carly based on the figures.

Syesha getting booted before Kristy and Brooke could possibly be the shark jumper for me. (For the season...the show itself jumped the shark a long time ago...possibly when Paula started to visibly show signs of drinking/drug use before the show started)

Castro made me roll my eyes...I can't stand his hippie schtick.

I missed Carly's performance...sounds like it wasn't good. She looked pretty good last night, though. She's probably gone.

David Cook is getting stale. Daughtry-Lite indeed.

I can see Michael Johns getting cut as well.

I actually thought Archuletta's performanc wasn't that bad...he's winning anyway.

I agree with starvenger. I can see them doing the whole "It's Idol Gives Back week so no one goes home this week" shtick, and then next week two go home.

For comparison:

Robbie (the original):

Jessica (possibly the reason why this song was never a hit in the US):

Archuleta:

Granted, Robbie Williams isn't the best singer, but still, he keeps things simple and isn't trying to oversing it, which is generally a problem when people try to do it. The reason I actually liked the Robbie-Joss Stone duet is because Joss went batshit crazy oversinging it, if that makes any sense:

I agree with starvenger. I can see them doing the whole "It's Idol Gives Back week so no one goes home this week" shtick, and then next week two go home.

they did do that last year, so maybe they'll do it again?

I was baffled at the praise for Jason Castro last night. Anyone remember the episode of Beavis and BUTT-head where they watched a hideous video of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and Beavis literally spit out his drink? That's about how I felt watching Castro last night.

I think the judges must watch the dress rehearsals or something, because in hindsight, he was one of the better performances of the night irrespective of how ludicrous the whole ukelele thing was. It still doesn't make me like him, but at least he made me believe that he was (in a pot-induced way) singing something that inspired him, instead of being indulgent in song choice like Cook or Archuleta.

they did do that last year, so maybe they'll do it again?

The vote-off will be on Thursday live at 8 eastern/7 central.