TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
justsoyouknow

Look, I'm going to need someone to explain Tom Waits.

I've never listened to any of his work, mind you. I get Rain Dogs, and, unless I'm missing something, it's a booze-soaked chainsmoker rambling. I mean, I kind of like it, but I don't really understand the appeal. I'm assuming Inc and Milky will be here shortly.

Yup. Like I've always said about Tom Waits, listen to it in the rain while swilling Old Crow, and you'll get it.

I dunno, I listen to him sober and he's one of my favorites.

Me too. I'm just saying even if you don't like Tom Waits sober, you probably will drunk.

If I'm drunk, I can sing just like him. It's popular at parties for me to do "Suddenly Seymour" from Little Shop of Horrors in my Tom Waits voice.

Rain Dogs is simply amazing, although I don't own any other albums by Tom Waits.

I understand that his music changed dramatically around the time of 1983's Swordfishtrombones. I'd be interested to hear some of his earlier piano based work. Which album is the best starting point for that phase?

Rain Dogs is simply amazing, although I don't own any other albums by Tom Waits.

I understand that his music changed dramatically around the time of 1983's Swordfishtrombones. I'd be interested to hear some of his earlier piano based work. Which album is the best starting point for that phase?

I think that Closing Time is the best way to start with his earlier, loungier pieces.