• Randy Moss
    • Eli Manning
    • Plaxico Burress
    • Laurence Maroney
    • Brandon Jacobs
    • Other
    • A Patriots defensive player
    • A Giants defensive player

But Plax was WRONG. They didn't score 17. The Giants scored 17. He was only off by 7 on the Giants score so well done, well done indeed there.

Although the quote goes a long way to show why I have hated Tom and will always hate him. Cocky Michigan pricks.

I hear so much crap around here for how Peyton is such a commercial sellout (not that I'm denying he does a shitton of commercials but really, who doesn't?) but it's in a goofy self-effacing way. Other than the stupid Oreo commercial I find most of them funny. Plus... the SNL United Way skit was gold.

Tom Brady however just exudes that sort of smug smooth "I'm the man and you can't touch me" personality that I hate. Pretty boy bastard. Talented as a motherfucker and smart as hell - I respect him. Doesn't stop me from hating him.

I just bought the Boston Herald paper where the front and back cover sheet turns into a simple poster of a distraught de-helmeted Tom Brady walking off in shame. I'm putting it on my wall, bitches. Last year may have been cathartic for my Colt fandom, but last night was just as cathartic for my anti-Patriot fandom. It feels sooooo good seeing them fail.

-Adam

I was really impressed with Tom Brady in the press conference. Dude answered every question like a professional. Belichick however is still a piece of shit.

Does this end your fandom with the Niners then, Mole?

I haven't really been a Niners fan in 3 years or so. I realized I can't watch enough of their games.

So the Herald's cover is a textless shot of Brady on the wrong side of the celebration? That's pretty powerful but not on the Herald's site--can someone post a pic?

Also, on this page, second photo set down, scroll to photo 17. Frozen in time like that, I still can't figure out how Eli avoided that sack.

Edit: that link: http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/belichi...S00010000000001

Just checked the Giants message board: it's like the end of Jedi, Special Edition over there with everyone in the galaxy celebrating following the Death Star explosion. Fans from all over the NFL have registered to say thanks to the Giants. Cowboys fans, Redskins fans, Chargers, Browns, Rams...if this country's NFL fans are this elated, I don't think I realized what this meant to the rest of the country to see 19-0 stopped. I mean, I knew people didn't like the Pats, but damn. Even Eagles fans got excited and proclaimed "the lesser of two evils."

Last week, NPR did a take on Super Bowl media week, as it would be penned by William Shakespeare.

Here's the page with a link to the streaming audio file of this being performed. Very funny and recommended.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=18526207

The Players: Sideline Wench, a reporter for the Duchy of Fox; Kornheisercranz, herald; Wilbonstern, herald; Brady, a fair-haired boy; Eli, a boy; reporters, bloggers, correspondents, cameramen, soundmen, hangers-on, sycophants, small children throwing rose petals.

Our drama begins as a slovenly mob of sports journalists enters the field at the University of Phoenix Stadium. A fetching reporter, the Sideline Wench of the Duchy of Fox, steps forward.

Sideline Wench: Since none of my sex 'tis allowed

Within the network booth on high,

'Twill be my one sweet distaff voice

Midst these growling sports-page lowlifes

Which will, upon my sideline nunnery,

Dare confront the pretty Brady.

Two heralds, Kornheisercranz and Wilbonstern, wearing hideous matching ESPN doublets, elbow the Sideline Wench aside.

Kornheisercranz: Upon this line-ed greensward set within

A desert the Almighty fixed but for cactus

Will be this, our strange stage for Sabbath's pigskin war,

Waged by mesomorphs come from green Blue States afar.

Wilbonstern: 'Tis stranger still the warrior names affixed,

For they would better be the one, the other.

Think on it: those called Giants are but dwarfs here,

Mere ciphers in the point spread, a goodly dozen down.

Kornheisercranz: Yea, the true giants, these peerless monsters,

Call themselves Patriots, e'en though they give shame

To that sweet address, trafficking more as traitors,

Scoundrels in video deceit, cashing all manner of Belichicks.

Sideline Wench: But, hush all you scribes who bloviate so,

For comes now fair Brady, he who is as super

In his mortal company as e're this game is to sport.

But soft! Let me look upon him as if I filled his embrace.

Oh! A visage that Narcissus would have traded for!

And a manner that knows neither pressure nor fear.

But, alas, 'tis women of fashion that he favors,

For one already has his babe, another his flowers,

And I, only a sideline wench who can but model dreams.

And now Brady enters amid a crowd of admirers. Small children toss rose petals in his path.

Kornheisercranz: Methinks the crunch upon his presence is so great,

And the paparazzi do shine forth such a spangled glare

That the great golden orb above must be dimmed

And the sounds of Niagara itself seem noiseless

Before the din of questions that confront our great Brady.

The Media: Brady, Brady what is afoot with thou?

Brady: Good men of the press box, I come whole to you,

For always the feats I have achieved, were upon my two feet.

And Sunday, I shall play the same no less,

One game at a time, one good foot before the other.

But now, I bid you, let me take my leave to join my mates,

For by rolling alone, there is no way for Moss to gather passes.

Narrator (in hushed tones): And so Brady exits stage left ... and the heralds return.

Wilbonstern:: But look now, who approaches from yon other way?

'Tis young Eli, who seems, in his manner, yet a boy,

No match for such a paragon as the dauntless Brady.

Kornheisercranz: 'Tis so, he is yet more Manning than man,

But the football blood that fills that callow vessel

Is as royal as Brady ever bought to his captured throne.

Eli is the seed of the sainted Archie

And thus branch from the same tree as Peyton,

He, who made stallions of Colts but twelvemonth past.

Mayhap the lad can, with a pigskin, find the same mark

Little David did when bookies of yore favored huge Goliath.

Sideline Wench: So, withal, is the grandeur of Brady match for the legacy of Eli?

Forsooth,

With that I take to silence and send it back up to the big boys in the booth.

And so the curtain falls on our Super Bowl drama ... with apologies to Shakespeare and thanks to our weekly sports bard, commentator Frank Deford, who played the part of Kornheisercranz. Thanks also to Sylvia Poggioli, who played the Sideline Wench, Neal Conan as Wilbonstern, Ari Shapiro as Brady and Steve Inskeep as the Narrator.

I didn't pay close enough attention when it was live, and every time I see a replay on the news they seem to cut the clip short.....did Tyree really come down with the ball, or did the Giants catch a break there? Was at least suprising that Belichek didn't challenge it?

He caught it. It was a fucking amazing catch.

Reports are that Tom Brady has pulled out of the Pro Bowl this morning and will be replaced by the Browns' QB (?!)

Win or lose, Brady wasn't going to the Pro Bowl. Lots of guys just don't want any part of it and honestly it's becoming a waste of time every year wondering who is going to make the team.

Guest Blue Man Czech
I kept seeing Brady sitting in a chair with his right ankle encased in ice, quietly sipping a bottle of champagne with a satisfied smile on his face, and Gisele would be there, and everyone would be recapping 19-0 and remembering the incredible season. I liked the thought of a famous person celebrating a historic night in such a totally normal and relatable way.

gay

we decided that an upset of the Pats would be like the '86 World Series -- more of a famous loss than a famous win, but something that would definitely get major play as a win because of the New York media.

No, it's because Eli Manning pulled off a ridiculous drive against all odds. That was a big win no matter who did it. Bill Simmons is such a bad writer.

LATE EDIT: Haha.

Arcade Fire's surprise Super Bowl appearance could end in court

Band could be considering suing Fox TV after half-time show

Arcade Fire and US TV network Fox TV could become involved in a lawsuit, after it is alleged that the network used their music to soundtrack an advert without permission.

The band's song 'No Cars Go' was used in an advert for the NFL which was aired during the halftime show of the Super Bowl last night (February 3), which took place in Glendale, Arizona.

However, according to Pitchfork, Fox TV did not ask the band's permission to use the music in the advert.

The group's representatives are said to be looking into the matter.

Advertising during the Super Bowl half-time show costs $100,000 per second of broadcasting time.

Okay I read that Simmons column and you know what pissed me off the most? The notion that the 2001 Rams were somehow the equivalent of the 2007 Patriots in terms of being this vile, loathesome team that people wanted to desperately lose. Compare a humble guy like Kurt Warner to Tom Brady's smarm. Did people really feel angered by Isaac Bruce or Marshall Faulk? Sure, Mike Martz is kind of a wacko, but we didn't really know it so much in 2001 (this was more apparent in subsequent years).

The Rams have never been my absolute favorite team, but I quite liked the Greatest Show on Turf. Simmons is kidding himself if he thinks people outside the northeast wanted the Pats to win that game, especially considering the dubious way they even got there with the Tuck Rule and all. In retrospect we all would have been spared quite a lot had the refs not shafted Al Davis. At least we could have gotten some hilarity out of Kordell Stewart throwing 4 INTs in the Super Bowl.

In "How Media Saturation Negatively Affects Opinion" Pt XLXIV... aside from liking the Pats (especially being led by then-unheralded Michigan man Brady), I was tired of the media's constant "Warner Warner Warner" barrage, combined with the Frequent Family Shots of scary Mrs Warner in the stands, and that was good enough reason for me to root for NE in that SB

I know that I am opening myself up to a shitstorm here, but why exactly are we supposed to hate the Patriots? Is it because Bill Belichick is a dick and he tried to cheat? Are we just tired in general of mouth-breating Boston fans and their air of importance? Honestly, I don't really see that as a reason to loathe the team with such contempt.

I was sort of indifferent to yesterday's outcome, but I've always found the Pats to be an admirable franchise. They've built up a winning organization with a good team concept that evolved through dedicated coaching, strong drafting/free agent decisions and good character guys. I don't really have any sort of emotional connection with that, but their dominance in the salary cap era has been more astonishing than vile.

I can think of about 20+ organizations that I hate more than New England.

I know that I am opening myself up to a shitstorm here, but why exactly are we supposed to hate the Patriots? Is it because Bill Belichick is a dick and he tried to cheat? Are we just tired in general of mouth-breating Boston fans and their air of importance?

Yes.

That's really all the reason we need.

The game set a Super Bowl record with 97.5 million viewers

Trailed only the M.A.S.H. Finale (106 million) for most viewers ever

105.7 million people watched the 4th quarter. That's insane.

I know that I am opening myself up to a shitstorm here, but why exactly are we supposed to hate the Patriots? Is it because Bill Belichick is a dick and he tried to cheat? Are we just tired in general of mouth-breating Boston fans and their air of importance?

Yes.

That's really all the reason we need.

The big problem as far as I see vis-a-vis the fans issue is that prior to this decade Boston fans were seen (at least, outside of NY) as somewhat sympathetic due to the Sox constantly coming up short, as well as the Pats own woes and even the mighty Celtics falling off after their last title (most notably the Bias and Lewis incidents), but apparently a good portion of fans are still trying to carry the sympathetic air ("no respect") even after five championships this decade and that's rubbing a large number of people the wrong way

Fun and obscure trivia: The Giants were the first team to ever provide a loss to a team that went through an undefeated regular season. 1934, the 11-3 Giants knocked off the 13-0 Bears 30-13 in the infamous "Sneaker Game." Now some 84 years later the franchise does it AGAIN!

Back to an Arcade Fire post Czech made like 13 pages ago, I only know of two times they've been on national tv, and he only smashed his guitar after one of those performances. Is there another instance I'm missing?

Guest Blue Man Czech
They've built up a winning organization with a good team concept that evolved through dedicated coaching, strong drafting/free agent decisions and good character guys. I don't really have any sort of emotional connection with that, but their dominance in the salary cap era has been more astonishing than vile.

Good character guys? Who you crappin'?

List them all with justifications. Go. I want at least twenty and these better be good. Twenty organizations in football that are less reprehensible than the Pats.

They've built up a winning organization with a good team concept that evolved through dedicated coaching, strong drafting/free agent decisions and good character guys. I don't really have any sort of emotional connection with that, but their dominance in the salary cap era has been more astonishing than vile.

Good character guys? Who you crappin'?

List them all with justifications. Go. I want twenty and these better be good.

He means once they become Patriots, they are good character guys. Of course, if good means beating up women in Florida, cheating for possibly up to 6 years, drafting bad characters like Brandon Meriweather while brashly proclaiming that they'll change for the big hoodie, and the aforementioned big hoodie walking off the field before the Super Bowl was fully concluded, then yes good character guys.