TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 83 - Serra vs. St. Pierre 2

So this is starting to get a lot of hype on Canadian sports shows, this morning Sportsnet had a preview talking about the bad blood that's developed between GSP and Serra and also McCarthy/Bisping and El Dirte/MacDonald. Apparently Joe talked shit on MacDonalds losses to Franklin and Okami and said that he didn't look like he belonged in the UFC. I love Joe but for a guy who's just been knocked the fuck out by guys with no hands he should simmer down a bit.

Clementi basically summing up how I feel about his fight with Stout....

"“He is a hell of a fighter with a great reputation but I feel that he is a little smaller than me. I’m stronger, the well-roundedness of myself will come out, I’ve never been knocked out my whole career and I can take this fight anywhere. This is 17 years of groundwork opposed to ‘I’ve been training with someone who can elevate my ground game.’ This sport is about exposing your opponent’s weaknesses and that’s what I look forward to doing.”

Poor Sammy. I'll be rooting for you but it's going to break my heart to see you tapping out.

Clementi basically summing up how I feel about his fight with Stout....

"“He is a hell of a fighter with a great reputation but I feel that he is a little smaller than me. I’m stronger, the well-roundedness of myself will come out, I’ve never been knocked out my whole career and I can take this fight anywhere. This is 17 years of groundwork opposed to ‘I’ve been training with someone who can elevate my ground game.’ This sport is about exposing your opponent’s weaknesses and that’s what I look forward to doing.”

Poor Sammy. I'll be rooting for you but it's going to break my heart to see you tapping out.

Clementi earned my eternal respect for his "Learn some Jiu-Jitsu Melvin" comments. But anyway, his strategy seems to be the same one everyone plans to use against Team Tompkins fighters, no?

Pretty much. I keep flashing back to the Fabio Holanda fight in TKO where Stout was getting taken down pretty much at will and Clementi is a bigger, stronger fighter with better wrestling then Fabio so I imagine he'll have no issues getting Sam down. Stout's only hope is to sprawl and brawl en route to a UD.

Stouts sub-defense is getting better and better each fight... I can easily see him getting out of submission attempts from Clementi and knocking him the fuck out. I really can't stand Clementi.

Uhhhh....since the Holanda fight he's fought Grandmont, Fisher and Eklund, all of which were stand-up fights so there's no basis to your "his sub defense is getting better" claim.

I think you're letting your hatred of Rich get in the way of logic here. He absorbsed some bombs from Melvin who doesn't have the technical striking of Stout but hits a hell of lot harder. I'd love to be proven wrong here and see Stout be the first to KO Rich but I doubt that'll happen.

Uhhhh....since the Holanda fight he's fought Grandmont, Fisher and Eklund, all of which were stand-up fights so there's no basis to your "his sub defense is getting better" claim.

Fisher actually has some very underrated grappling. He has very good submissions, he attempted to take the fight to the ground and failed horribly. And for the record, Eklund isn't a "stand up fighter"... He's a well rounded fighter with a BJJ background, he has more wins by submission then he does by KO.

I think you're letting your hatred of Rich get in the way of logic here. He absorbsed some bombs from Melvin who doesn't have the technical striking of Stout but hits a hell of lot harder. I'd love to be proven wrong here and see Stout be the first to KO Rich but I doubt that'll happen.

Rich Clementi got rocked by Din Thomas as well, who although has very good techncial boxing skills, lacks KO power. But Clementi does have good recovery I'll admit that.

In regards to your first point, this is all true but the problem is that Stout didn't go to the ground in any of those fights, regardless of what credentials his opponents might have had they weren't utilized. What IS proven is that Holanda, with his shitty-as-hell ankle picks were able to get Stout down and put him in some bad spots. It's a plus for Sam that he was able to escape but even if Clementi chose to make it a wrestling match he'd easily grind out a decision.

As I've said before, hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see Sam doing enough to win.

So yeah I am getting this show at my house so if anyone in the immediate area wants to head down to my pad, hit me up a PM....

Do other people get excited for live events in their town, or are we just retarded?

If we are, then where's the fucking short bus cause WHOOO HOOO! ONE WEEK!

BTW, LOTC, if you haven't checked out the fan club site, it has some details on the weigh in and QnA. Look under "events".

Danzig on the Bocek fight.....

“To be honest I don’t like this fight style wise. He is kind of boring, not because he wants to be but he is good at slowing the pace down of a fight. My job is to make it exciting for the fans and not to let it turn boring.”

Mac spits truth. Bocek's fight against Evans was terribly boring. If Bocek brings the suck I will change my cheers mid-fight for Danzig.

Rudo- For the love of God tell me that you didn't book us on a 8 AM train back to Toronto on Sunday. I just realized how horribly hungover we're gonna be regardless of the main event and I honestly don't know if I can get up in time for that.

Danzig on the Bocek fight.....

“To be honest I don’t like this fight style wise. He is kind of boring, not because he wants to be but he is good at slowing the pace down of a fight. My job is to make it exciting for the fans and not to let it turn boring.”

Mac spits truth. Bocek's fight against Evans was terribly boring. If Bocek brings the suck I will change my cheers mid-fight for Danzig.

Rudo- For the love of God tell me that you didn't book us on a 8 AM train back to Toronto on Sunday. I just realized how horribly hungover we're gonna be regardless of the main event and I honestly don't know if I can get up in time for that.

I think it's a 5 pm departure.

UFC 83: Q&A Session and Weigh In — April 18, 2008

Doors Open

1:00pm

Ages

All Ages

Related Events

Weigh In

Venue Details

Venue

Bell Centre

City

Montreal, Quebec

Country

Canada

Website

http://www.bellcentre.ca/

Directions

Yahoo! Maps / Google Maps / MapQuest

Our train gets in at 11:45, the hotel, station, and bell centre are all within close proximity. Plus, it's a "doors open" thing, not a start time thing. I'm not worried.

Ya know, it's not like I had enough reasons to want GSP but to win but goddamn if I'm going to walk into work next Monday and have random co-workers ask what happened. I've pretty much sold people in my office on the show who've never watched MMA before so if Georges fucks up I'm gonna hear about it for a long time.

If it's a good show though, they won't care. And I'd actually say that Serra has more than a punchers chance to beat GSP, since Georges seems to have a bit more trouble with guys who don't come from that wrestling background. Plus the whole "fighting in front of your countrymen" thing, which could work against you just as easily as it would work for you.

That being said, I still think GSP will win, and win in a dominant fashion.

This is pretty much The Big One for GSP. If he wins, regardless of how he does it people will more or less cop to him being the future of MMA. If he blows it then it won't matter how many top-level fighters he faces and beats after that because the "mentally weak" stigma will plague him forever.

You all better riot if Serra wins. That would be *awesome*.

My official prediction is the dark horse Serra. People like to say that first fight was just due to GSP being mentally unprepared, and I'm sure it was a factor, but Serra went in there with hardcore training and a gameplan that he executed to the T. He picked his moment, and unleashed those atomic bomb-like shots. If GSP gets antsy and tries to rush things, I could very well see Serra doing the same thing again. I have absolutely no idea who'd win on the ground.

I won't be surprised if GSP storms in there and rapes Serra after how he demolished Hughes, and out-wrestled Koscheck though.

I think GSP would be able to handle Serra on the ground but I don't think he'd be nearly effective as against Hughes or Koscheck due to Serra's submission game.

It's weird, thinking it over. I can see GSP winning by decision, knockout, stoppage or submission. I can only see Serra winning by KO. And even though GSP's options are more varied I still think Serra by KO is just as valid a bet on its own.

My official prediction is the dark horse Serra. People like to say that first fight was just due to GSP being mentally unprepared, and I'm sure it was a factor, but Serra went in there with hardcore training and a gameplan that he executed to the T. He picked his moment, and unleashed those atomic bomb-like shots. If GSP gets antsy and tries to rush things, I could very well see Serra doing the same thing again. I have absolutely no idea who'd win on the ground.

The easy answer is "whoever's on top", although I'd imagine that Serra's ground game from the bottom is pretty darn good.

Anyways, a bold prediction Hawk (although for the reasons you mentioned not THAT bold). Gotta give you props for it.

I'm actually considering picking Serra in my pool at work on the basis that if he loses I'll be too happy to care about losing money but if he wins I'll at least have some money to come back to on Monday.