TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 83 - Serra vs. St. Pierre 2

Well although GSP/Serra 2 is a huge match-up, lets turn discussion to the undercard...

How do you guys like Lutters chances to beat Franklin? I feel if he can get Franklin to the ground, he can win the fight... I'm actually really considering putting some money on Lutter depending on the odds. I think he has a good chance to win the fight... He has very solid wrestling and of course his BJJ is really good.

How about Charles McCarthey/Michael Bisping? Charles McCarthey has said to the press that no one in the middleweight divison has better BJJ or ground game then him... LAWLZ! This might be the 1st time I'll actually be cheering for Bisping.

I'll for sure be cheering for Bisping. Hopefully we get "London Calling" for entrance music again.

I dunno about Lutter though. I don't doubt he carries the skill and technique to submit Rich but getting him down and more importantly, holding him down will be his issue. Okami was able to keep Rich down but couldn't tap him. I don't see Lutter having the takedown skills to put Rich down and force him into a position to get subbed.

If Franklin is able to keep it on his feet... In all likely hood, if he isn't gunshy, he will KO Lutter. But Franklin hasn't really shown me anything at all make me think he can handle Lutter on the ground, nor has Franklin shown me he has good enough takedown defense to stop Lutters takedowns. I've seen the likes of Edwin Dewees take down Franklin... If Edwin can do it, I can easily see Lutter doing it.

Okay, that was what, four years ago? I'd be willing to wager that Frankin's takedown-d has improved by then. I've yet to see evidence of Lutter having good takedowns and for the love of God don't say Silva because he didn't have functional knees at the time. But hey, if Franklin is in the same realm of Scott Smith and Cote as far as defence goes he's a dead man.

Okay, that was what, four years ago? I'd be willing to wager that Frankin's takedown-d has improved by then.

As you said... evidence?

I've yet to see evidence of Lutter having good takedowns and for the love of God don't say Silva because he didn't have functional knees at the time. But hey, if Franklin is in the same realm of Scott Smith and Cote as far as defence goes he's a dead man.

I'm not trying to say Lutter is a Lindland/Henderson like wrestler, but he has shown me in the past that he can commit to a takedown and is rentless with it.

But then again cage-rust can be an issue here, Lutter hasn't fought since Feburary of 2007 when he lost to Anderson Silva.

I can't recall the Rivera fight but I know that with the Shamrock, Tanner, Quarry and Loiseau fights that Franklin wasn't put on his back. Granted I can't recall if any of the above-mentioned tried for a takedown so it's a bit of a moot point. Either way I'll cop to Lutter have an advantage on the ground but I don't see it even getting there. Franklin is going to be out for blood in this fight. Why, I don't know.

I can't recall the Rivera fight but I know that with the Shamrock, Tanner, Quarry and Loiseau fights that Franklin wasn't put on his back. Granted I can't recall if any of the above-mentioned tried for a takedown so it's a bit of a moot point. Either way I'll cop to Lutter have an advantage on the ground but I don't see it even getting there. Franklin is going to be out for blood in this fight. Why, I don't know.

I haven't seen the Tanner fight in years, but I do seem to remember him taking down Franklin... I'll have to watch it again.

Actually, I think Tanner knocked Franklin down, which is how Rich ended up on his back. I could be remembering incorrectly, though

That said, Franklin' bottom game is a bit underrated, as he has good hip movement, avoids punishment and stands-up well. Of course, he's never had a grappler the caliber of Lutter on top of him, but Lutter is still a colossal underacheiver, and Rich has never been one to be easily taken down.

I didn't realize the undercard of this show was so weak until I thought while I was writing my prediction "What the hell else is there on this?".

Franklin/Lutter is a nothing fight. Franklin's got nothing to win, really, while Lutter didn't even make weight for his fight with Silva.

Bisping/McCarthy...Eh.

This show is a one fight show.

I sort of agree. I'm all about the main event but a lot of the fights I want to see on this card aren't exactly marquee.

Tong, am I psyching myself out with this whole "Serra has a good chance of winning" thing or is this a much tougher fight for GSP then people are willing to admit?

Serra definitely has a grappling game that GSP is unfamiliar with, as GSP has mainly dominated wrestlers on the mat, and I think Serra has already exploited what I view as a large weakness in GSP's game: he doesn't handle adversity well (at least IMO). If Serra can use his aggressive style to keep GSP on the defensive standing and/or on the mat, he has a good chance of upsetting him again.

What keeps Serra as a considerable underdog in this match-up is his lack of physicality, which adds to his inablity to decide the setting of this fight. GSP has the vastly superior wrestling, and short of getting knocked down again or Serra managing to pull guard, it's unlikely this fight will hit the mat at any point besides when St. Pierre chooses it to. That leaves Serra having to deal with either...

A)...a taller, rangier striker with a good jab and the ability to keep Serra at a distance (a la Thomas), or...

B) ...trying to submit a stronger grappler with agility and technical know-how to boot (a la Parisyan).

So should GSP shit himself in either area (more likely standing), he can quickly change where the fight is taking place and take advantage of Serra's shortcomings in either area. I'd give Serra 3-1 odds or so.

That's actually an X factor for me in this fight. Serra hasn't fought since their last fight, and his back injury was pretty massive. There's no telling what Serra we could get. We could get a Serra who hasn't seriously trained until recently, a Serra who will never reach that level again due to the injury, or we could get the incredibly focused Serra from their first fight. Who knows? We KNOW GSP's gonna come in breathing fire though. If Serra's not in tip top shape mentally and bodily, GSP's gonna eat him alive.

I view Serra as kind of like Couture, which is pretty ample praise I know. Both have some natural gifts, and a lot of training...but I don't think either is the *best* at anything in the game. Whatever deficiencies they have in their game they make up in planning. I don't think you can say that Serra really beats GSP in any category. What you can say, is Serra's very very smart. Serra had a game plan in that first fight, I'm betting he has one for this one. If it works or not is up in the air, but Serra's a clever fucker. He's probably got something in his head. On top of that, Serra's deceptively strong, so one blow could turn the tide.

I'm excited for this fight, because there's several ways this could possibly go. Most end with GSP winning though.

JEEEEEEEEEEEESUS is GSP ever reaching into his awesome quote-bag to hype this show....

On an MMAWeekly interview....

"Don't blink"

"People will see stuff I've never shown before. Some stuff people have never seen before in MMA."

"If I win this fight by decision I'm not going to be satisfied. I want to end the fight, to take him out."

I had a bit of a freak-out last night watching the GSP special on TFN. I don't recall much of what I said but do remember the phrases "Guinea cunt" and "Wop piece of shit" were used.

Why is St. Pierra mad at Serra, is it all just pre-fight hype. I must have missed a news-cycle or two because it seems Serra did something to piss George off.....

Why is St. Pierra mad at Serra, is it all just pre-fight hype. I must have missed a news-cycle or two because it seems Serra did something to piss George off.....

It could've been Sell calling him a mental midget. I mean, Pete Sell calling someone a mental midget is like Tom Cruise calling someone else crazy...

It's all being blown out of proportion. GSP has said that win or lose he'll shake Serra's hand afterwards and buy him a drink. I imagine Serra will take the same route. Or at least I hope he will.

I'm pretty sure Serra knows what he's up against so he's getting his boys (Sell, George Soitoropolos) to start talking a big game hoping to get into GSP's head.

In some fight-related news Matt Hughes has posted on his website that if Serra loses on Saturday that he's asked UFC for that to be his return fight.

Direct from the blog:

Since we’re on the subject of GSP/Serra, honestly, I think GSP will win this fight very decisively. I don’t think that a submission will play a role in the fight. Obviously, Matt has power in his hands, so I don’t think Georges will make the same mistake this time of standing right in front of him. So, once again, I think Georges will be victorious. I’ve already asked the UFC that if Serra loses, I get him.

It's funny how an ass-beating can improve your feelings towards a fighter. After seeing Hughes go back into his corner after the first round against GSP I almost, almost felt bad for him but it genuinely brings a smile to my face that after everything that GSP has done to Hughes he can still man up and cheer for him.

I've seen Hughes' wife. GSP has likely pulled better chicks but I'm still not denying that he stacked the bitch like a bale of hay.

Better chicks? In Montreal? Surely you can't be serious! :cheers:

So, I'm playing the "Who could I potentially meet?" game by matching up fighters with camps. So far I've got........

Cain Velasquez- Trains with AKA so could meet Swick, Koscheck, Prangley, Fitch or Josh Thomson.

Ed Herman- Lindland, Hendo and other TQ dudes.

Bisping- Splits his time between Big Bear and England but hopefully dudes like Rampage or Vera are with him.

Kalib- ATT so.........a lot of potential guys. Bring JZ!!! McCarthy is also ATT so I imagine they'll be in the house pretty good.

Stout- I could give a shit about Tomkins guys but hopefully he brings up Tyson Griffin, Joe Daddy or Gray Maynard.

GSP- Jardine, Nate and Rashad hopefully

Serra went racial and started calling GSP a "stupid frenchie", after GSP backtracked his original statement and said he wasn't 100% for that fight.