TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The TSM 2008 NFL Mock Draft

Guest Vitamin X

The Green Bay Packers select..

313996.jpg

DB Tracy Porter, Indiana

This guy and Tramon Williams would be a killer kickoff return duo, not to mention Porter has excellent speed and was a big playmaker in college, so he might work out replacing Woodson or Harris when their time comes. I liked a lot of what I saw out of Aaron Rouse last year as well, but he's listed as a safety, so I'm wondering if maybe he'll replace Harris or if they're going to use him more in a nickel scheme this upcoming season? Either way, Porter could be a strong nickelback until Woodson or Harris move on, and could be a good candidate to replace either one.

Anyone have any feedback on my last selection? I was tempted to go a different route because I figured Flacco would still be there a few picks later at the start of the third round. In the end, I went with him and figured my next pixk would be there as well. Thoughts?

Given that I don't think he is there at 57 in the real draft it is a good pick. I think there is enough hype about him now that if the Dolphins wanted him they would need to use that 33 instead of the 57 to get him. I don't think it is worth waiting 6-7 picks if he is the guy you want, just pull the trigger and be glad your guy is on the team.

I actually thought Flacco was a bit odd...I mean, you gotta give John Beck a chance right?

That being said, at the latest Scouts.com Mock Draft, they have the Dolphins trading back into the first round to take Brohm. So I guess taking a QB high could happen. Aren't there other needs for Miami though, like WR?

Yes, Miami has many, many needs. What I am thinking with taking Flacco is giving Beck control for the next year or two while Flacco develops. You have time to try to get a solid offensive line by that time. If Beck flops or goes down, Flacco may be able to come in. Right now, the back up is Cleo Lemon. Also, none of the moves I am making are trying to make the Dolphins a SuperBowl contender right away, but building for the future. I simply could not pass on Flacco, but I knew other posters wouldn't have taken him so I wanted to get some feedback. I am also not saying I am right or anything, just my thoughts on it.

Porter replaces Ernest Wilford, who left to join the Dolphins. You can never have enough people to pass the ball to.

I think Matt Jones is going to get cut or dealt. He's basically useless. Reggie Williams is starting to round into a good #2 guy.

Personally, I don't think Troy Williamson is going to be anything more than a #4 WR. So I grabbed a quick receiver to be the #3.

Yes, Miami has many, many needs. What I am thinking with taking Flacco is giving Beck control for the next year or two while Flacco develops. You have time to try to get a solid offensive line by that time. If Beck flops or goes down, Flacco may be able to come in. Right now, the back up is Cleo Lemon. Also, none of the moves I am making are trying to make the Dolphins a SuperBowl contender right away, but building for the future. I simply could not pass on Flacco, but I knew other posters wouldn't have taken him so I wanted to get some feedback. I am also not saying I am right or anything, just my thoughts on it.

Actually, Lemon's with the Jags now...

They picked up Josh McCown from the Raiders.

There'd probably be some pick-swapping going on, but nobody had a clue we were going a third round until there were like, two picks left in the second round. That's what bugs me.

With the 59th pick in the draft, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Roy Schuening - OG - Oregon St.

QIMKSXDTRUPCZKK.20070416230242.jpg

May not be a pro bowl type, but can easily be a guy that simply does a great job at his position for 10-14 years. With the Titans nabbing former Colts guard Scott off their O-Line, and no heir apparent to replace him, Scheuning is a perfect fit here and actually a nice grab at this pick. I expected him to be gone.

-Annie

Guest Vitamin X

The Green Bay Packers select...

MARTELLUSBENNETT8_11150.JPG

Martellus Bennett, TE

Donald Lee is a decent TE, but Bennett has the potential to be an All-Pro. He's a basketball player for one, which has translated excellently to the pros (Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates also love to play b-ball, moreso than football, even) in the past, and has a ton of upside. Lack of production in college is mainly due to playing in the Aggies' run-oriented offense. Could be a great pick, and would at least add another weapon to the offense, even possibly making up for taking Justin Harrell over Greg Olsen in last year's draft.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh. My bad. Well then, we'll take

20564TavaresGooden.jpg

OLB Tavares Gooden, University of Miami

It seems crazy to take two rookie linebackers in the draft so early, but I don't really see any pressing needs to address so early on the offensive side of the ball, and many of the top linemen and db's were taken already. Gooden was the next best bet, though, and might even win the starting job, relegating the other to being a special teams ace or spelling Hawk/Barnett on other defensive packages. Either ways, it would add some depth to an already solid front seven, but it had been lacking in the linebacker core. Brady Poppinga, who is gone now, was pretty much just a stopgap solution after Na'il Diggs left, even having Paris Lenon start for a while. My personal opinion was that Green Bay would benefit from having a big dude like Hawk in the middle instead of on the outside, and have Barnett and then Gooden/Wheeler on the outside making plays. With Tracy Porter, I've already got somebody who can defend the burners who beat Green Bay most memorably- at Dallas (T.O.) and against New York (Plaxico Burress), but what wasn't recognized is that the Giants outrushed Green Bay 134-28 in that game, and that they ranked 14th overall in the season against the rush. With the potent offense Green Bay has, they need a much better run defense to establish their attack and keep the other team from playing keepaway. This also goes for the short passing game, which Romo KILLED the Packers with, and I assume Brady would've done the same in the Super Bowl if they had played. Gooden also has a great pedigree as being a Hurricane linebacker.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Fuck a third round, I want to wrap this up. Don't have enough time to mess with it.