TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
majormayhem1

ECW 2/5/2008

Official WWE.com preview:

CM Punk’s fire has been relit. After defeating Elijah Burke, Punk got a bit of revenge, crashing Chavo Guerrero’s Championship Fiesta on ECW. After smacking Chavo over the head with a mariachi guitar, the Straightedge Superstar grabbed Chavo’s newly-won ECW Championship and boldly stood over him. Punk has ECW gold set in his eyes again, but what will it take for him to reclaim it?

Colin Delaney returned to the ECW ring for a sixth time, this time being defeated in a Handicap Match by WWE Tag Team Champions The Miz & John Morrison. After his latest beatdown, ECW Original Tommy Dreamer came to help Delaney out of the ring. Has the youngster finally caught a break – and a found an ally – in Dreamer? (WATCH)

Also on Tuesday night, Shelton Benjamin took a giant Kane boot to the face, then walked away from the ring, with Kane winning by count-out. Has ECW’s Gold Standard finally found his match in the Land of the Extreme? Is Kane finally someone who can “stop him now”?

Find out the answers to all of these questions and more on the next ECW on Sci Fi, broadcast in HDTV, Tuesday at 10/9 CT. Also, be sure to catch ECW in its entirety every week on WWE.com, available from Wednesday to the following Monday afternoon.

Guest dustinbeaverton

I'm sure this has been talked about over and over and over again, but I just joined the forum, so feel free to hate me... but does Vince WANT the ECW to always be considered the minor leagues? Does he have no interest in letting ECW grow to the point that it could be successful on its own? I was excited when I heard it was coming back, but as soon as I witnessed an ECW Title Match that ended in a double DQ (or the ref just called the match off because of the condition of the wrestlers or something), I knew that the ECW didn't really return... at the PPV when RVD beat Cena, I thought ECW would have a chance...

I don't think it should be called ECW at this point because most of the originals are gone and there haven't been any Extreme Rules matches in a long time.

Any ideas for a new name? Tuesday Night Extreme would sound like the show still has Extreme Rules matches.

Guest dustinbeaverton

Is there a reason that Vince doesn't just try to make it like the ECW of old? I mean, I know the product is a lot different that WWE, but those ECW originals and their fans are diehard, ya know? I have so many ideas that I would think they could use to get the ECW the respect it used to have, bring back the original fans, and bring some of the WWE fans over as well. Why does Vince have to drag it through the mud? Isn't that what OVW is for?

It's a brand name. Just like Smackdown and RAW. For people to still be bothered by that after a year and a half is ridiculous. Vince could have used the WCW name if he wanted to. Would people complain about the lack of cruiser weight action, celebrities and 2 minute main events ending with 10 minute beat downs and poses?

ECW isn't designed to be a top show and that's perfectly fine. It's a showcase show for young talent like Punk, Burke, Morrison, etc, etc as well as a playground for other less used talents. It's been a perfectly passable and at times quality hour of television that has a purpose and effectively hits on their intentions. Something that can't be said about Raw on a consistent basis.

What the hell? Are they seriously spotlighting Stevie Richards, getting ready to do something with him?

I'm shocked. :headbang:

I kind of wish he'd return to his Big Stevie Cool days, but it is good to see him back.

I'm hoping they have the GoM Match on a boat. Chavo just points out that he doesn't have his own t-shirt. The ECW Champion has the same wardrobe as Tommy Dreamer.

Well that was...interesting.

Looked like Chavo took the camera man out.

edit-And here I was thinking the driver was Edge. But evidently that was just a random passerbyer who had no importance in the match.

I love Punk's tribute to Ace Steel. Gulf of Mexico Match is awesome. Random people fishing, Chavo's flying sell of the GTS into the water, Chavo falling on the camera man. Good stuff.

There didn't appear to be anyone actually driving that car. Maybe a fight that spills out into the street is grounds for cowering out of sight in Texas.

It's too bad the fishermen didn't hang around. At least their cooler got some air time.

Is it good or bad product placement if you get your auto repair shop's name and phone number on national TV by having a Mexican back-dropped through the windshield of the company van by a straight-edge kid from Chicago?

Expect Dreamer to wear a shirt promoting that auto shop next week. That'd be a good gimmick, have him promote local shit.

Kinda like how John Cena wearing the colors of a local sports team on his jobber tights before he became rapper Cena. (blue and white in Indy, green and white in Boston, gold and black in New Orleans, etc.)

Wonder how many other people caught that.

Expect Dreamer to wear a shirt promoting that auto shop next week. That'd be a good gimmick, have him promote local shit.

Kinda like how John Cena wearing the colors of a local sports team on his jobber tights before he became rapper Cena. (blue and white in Indy, green and white in Boston, gold and black in New Orleans, etc.)

Wonder how many heterosexual people caught that.

Edited for accuaracy

Actually, didn't Spanky do a gimmick where he went by the local minor league baseball/hockey team mascot? I didn't mean Dreamer wearing the local sports teams. I meant like "Ray's Putt-Putt World" and shit like that.

I don't know about Spanky but Norman Smiley got over using that schtick in WCW in a time when very few were getting over.

Yes!

Norman Smiley > Jesus

I'm hoping they have the GoM Match on a boat. Chavo just points out that he doesn't have his own t-shirt. The ECW Champion has the same wardrobe as Tommy Dreamer.

Pretty sure Dreamer has his own shirt.

Did anyone happen to tally the number of times Joey Styles and Tazz said "To win this match, you have to literally HURL your opponent into a body of water!". I ended up changing channels at one point due to it getting so annoying. I know it was to inform people who may have just been tuning in, but it still got on my nerves.

Last night was my first time seeing Kofi Kingston. He's got some good agility and inventive moves, but I'm not a big fan of the finisher.

Did anyone happen to tally the number of times Joey Styles and Tazz said "To win this match, you have to literally HURL your opponent into a body of water!". I ended up changing channels at one point due to it getting so annoying. I know it was to inform people who may have just been tuning in, but it still got on my nerves.

Last night was my first time seeing Kofi Kingston. He's got some good agility and inventive moves, but I'm not a big fan of the finisher.

I think the finisher would be better if it hadn't come out of nowhere. I liked Johnny's (spirit squad) when he called it the "Johnny go round."