TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Spring Training 2008

From the Spiezio article:

"The defendant is accused of running to his Irvine condominium complex and going to a friend's condo, who lived in the same complex. While his friend attempted to clean up the defendant, Spiezio is accused of vomiting in his friend's room. When the friend made a comment about the vomit, Spiezio is accused of becoming angry and attacking his friend, punching him repeatedly and throwing him against a wall."

:D

He's got a lot of passion. Maybe he could find a home with the White Sox.

Guest Michael Myers Resplendent

Man. Year after year, Tony La Russa seems to keep finding himself associated with people getting into trouble. At what point does he decide to keep a low profile for self-preservation's sake?

This won't affect the Cardinals one way or another, though, really. I mean, come on, it's Scott Spiezio.

Last year it was +/- 73 so heh..anyway no way this team goes 65-97 or worse. Buster Olney was on ESPN saying 56 wins for the Os which would be 56-106 which is just outright rediculous. I dont think this team is as bad as the Tigers were a few years ago.

They don't have to be. Those Tigers lost 119 games.

I have no idea why, besides homerism, you're so high on the Orioles. They have one of the bottom three Opening Day rosters in baseball (probably the worst, but I'm being generous), and they play in the toughest division in the majors. Tell me how this team isn't losing a hundred games.

Im not coming in here saying they're going to win 90 games and the wild card but they wont lose 98 games either. theres enough talent thats been added in the OF in Luke Scott and Adam Jones along with a healthy Adam Loewen who could easily put up similar numbers to what Erik Bedard put up if he stays healthy all year, plus Jeremy Guthrie who should have a good season. The Bullpen cant be as abysmal as it was last year or else it would end up being one of the worst all time and they've added Sherrill still have Walker and Bradford. I dont like Luis Hernandez at SS but if he plays solid defensively and gets on base a decent amount of time ahead of Brian Roberts things wont be that bad.

I suppose Im more optimistic than I should be but if you look at it even from a distance they aren't that bad. Roberts/Jones/Markakis/Huff/Millar/Scott/Mora/R.Hernandez/L. Hernandez plus Loewen/Guthrie/Cabrera/Trachsel/?? and a bullpen with Walker/Bradford/Sarfate/Hoey/Cherry/Burres/ set up and Sherrill closing.

That's not an argument for their worth, that's just a list of their players.

"I mean, come on, dudes, Rocky Cherry and Steve Trachsel."

Last year it was +/- 73 so heh..anyway no way this team goes 65-97 or worse. Buster Olney was on ESPN saying 56 wins for the Os which would be 56-106 which is just outright rediculous. I dont think this team is as bad as the Tigers were a few years ago.

They don't have to be. Those Tigers lost 119 games.

I have no idea why, besides homerism, you're so high on the Orioles. They have one of the bottom three Opening Day rosters in baseball (probably the worst, but I'm being generous), and they play in the toughest division in the majors. Tell me how this team isn't losing a hundred games.

Im not coming in here saying they're going to win 90 games and the wild card but they wont lose 98 games either. theres enough talent thats been added in the OF in Luke Scott and Adam Jones along with a healthy Adam Loewen who could easily put up similar numbers to what Erik Bedard put up if he stays healthy all year, plus Jeremy Guthrie who should have a good season. The Bullpen cant be as abysmal as it was last year or else it would end up being one of the worst all time and they've added Sherrill still have Walker and Bradford. I dont like Luis Hernandez at SS but if he plays solid defensively and gets on base a decent amount of time ahead of Brian Roberts things wont be that bad.

I suppose Im more optimistic than I should be but if you look at it even from a distance they aren't that bad. Roberts/Jones/Markakis/Huff/Millar/Scott/Mora/R.Hernandez/L. Hernandez plus Loewen/Guthrie/Cabrera/Trachsel/?? and a bullpen with Walker/Bradford/Sarfate/Hoey/Cherry/Burres/ set up and Sherrill closing.

the same Adam Loewen who had 26 walks and 22 Ks in 30 innings last year? That guy could easily put up similar numbers to Bedard???

Adam Loewen who could easily put up similar numbers to what Erik Bedard put up if he stays healthy all year, plus Jeremy Guthrie who should have a good season.

Adam Loewen is projected to throw 125 innings at a 4.94 ERA. You really think he's going to put up Erik Bedards numbers? Bedard was one of the best pitchers in baseball last year.

Also, Jeremy Guthrie pieced together a nice season, but he was the most hit-lucky pitcher in baseball. He's projected for a 5.07 ERA. He's the kind of guy who's going to have to take a huge leap forward just to replicate his performance from last year.

The Bullpen cant be as abysmal as it was last year or else it would end up being one of the worst all time and they've added Sherrill still have Walker and Bradford.

It was bad last year, Ray and Baez are gone and Walker/Bradford were worked till their arms almost fell off. The pen may be slightly better this year, but I wouldn't count on it.

I dont like Luis Hernandez at SS but if he plays solid defensively and gets on base a decent amount of time ahead of Brian Roberts things wont be that bad.

To the tune of a projected .273 OBP. He'll be on base once every couple of ballgames.

Roberts, Jones and Markakis are good. Everyone else is average or outright sucks. The O's suck. Learn to deal with it.

the same Adam Loewen who had 26 walks and 22 Ks in 30 innings last year? That guy could easily put up similar numbers to Bedard???

Throw out those numbers, Loewen was pitching hurt. Loewen has the pure stuff, but he lacks the command.

Throw out those numbers, Loewen was pitching hurt. Loewen has the pure stuff, but he lacks the command.

Even still..

Last season

Erik Bedard: 182.0 IP. He had a 10.93 K/9 vs. 2.82 BB/9. He also had a 3.15 FIP (fielding independent pitching) and also had a VORP (value over replacement player) of 54.9. His PERA was 3.18 and he was 7.5 wins above replacement player (WARP).

To expect Adam Loewen to replicate those numbers is laughable. Now, could he come close to the counting stats of 13 W and a 3.16 ERA? A 1.09 WHIP? Possibly on the W but doubtful on the ERA and WHIP.

Loewen even with his injured season had a PERA of 4.19 and had a 5.06 FIP. So there is hope that he can pitch well but I would be putting more faith in his 1 HRA and 22 K in 30.1 IP. What would concern me is his penchant for walks (62 in 112.1 IP in 2006 along with his 5.37 ERA) and if his BABIP goes back to the .319 from 2006.

Even in the minors Loewen walked everyone in the ballpark. The stuff is there, but he's got a long way to go before he's a top of the rotation starter. If he can give them 150 innings with a league average ERA they should jump for joy.

If the Orioles traded an old pair of Jim Palmer's underwear for Albert Pujols and an old hot dog from 2002 for Johan Santana they still wouldn't compete. In fact, they still wouldn't be .500, yes, they suck that much.

Even in the minors Loewen walked everyone in the ballpark. The stuff is there, but he's got a long way to go before he's a top of the rotation starter. If he can give them 150 innings with a league average ERA they should jump for joy.

I saw him pitch with my own eyes back in 2004, so yes I know he walks batters pretty profoundly. Supposedly though Rick Kranitz is working with him and Cabrera on the walks. Kranitz being the same guy that worked wonders with the Marlins young pitching staff a couple years ago, getting 4 rookies to 10 wins for the first time ever in history. Hes just the guy they needed to bring in for the young pitchers.

I saw him pitch with my own eyes back in 2004, so yes I know he walks batters pretty profoundly.

That's a good thing!

Loewen to hitter: "You know, if you really think about it, it's best that you don't swing, because if you swing, you might hit the ball. If you hit the ball, you might break your bat. With ash trees in danger of a crisis akin to that of Dutch elm disease, we can't afford to just treat our bats like they grow on trees, haha, as it were. So really in the grand scheme of things, it's best if you just take your base here. Don't worry, I'll get out of this inning somehow."

Now if he walks batters profusely, that's bad!

I saw him pitch with my own eyes back in 2004, so yes I know he walks batters pretty profoundly.

That's a good thing!

Loewen to hitter: "You know, if you really think about it, it's best that you don't swing, because if you swing, you might hit the ball. If you hit the ball, you might break your bat. With ash trees in danger of a crisis akin to that of Dutch elm disease, we can't afford to just treat our bats like they grow on trees, haha, as it were. So really in the grand scheme of things, it's best if you just take your base here. Don't worry, I'll get out of this inning somehow."

Now if he walks batters profusely, that's bad!

Ive been awake 36 hours..bleh. Profoundly, profusely..a lot..too much..I knew what I meant and you knew what I meant.

Adam Loewen is not mediocre..he was 6-6 last year in his first season and he has the talent to be just as good as Bedard and they are both lefties. Combined with Cabrera who finally started pitching well last year when he realized he needed eye correction and theres 3 good young talented pitchers capable each of winning 15 games + and I do belive the 2nd year of working with Mazzone is going to be what pushes them to that point.

It seems like we go through this every year.

funny no? you should go dig up some of my posts from 2006..I bet those are great.

Loewen would have had a breakout season had he not gotten hurt. Bedard is obviously an ace..and if Kranitz cant help Cabrera and they dont stick him in the bullpen then I hope they give up on him completely..someone will snap him up and he'll get his act together and make Os fans even more miserable..

Oh, and I watched the HD Theatre special on the Nationals new ballpark..it totally seems bland and uninspiring though it was about 1/3rd finished during the show..

I found a good one in 2006

Markakis will be the O's starting LF on opening day if Hidalgo leaves and doesn't come back.

haha

XM Schedule today, All Times Eastern:

Atlanta @ LA Dodgers, 1pm XM 176

Houston @ Cleveland, 1pm XM 177

Florida @ Baltimore, 1pm XM 178

Chicago Cubs @ San Francisco, 3pm XM 179

San Diego @ Seattle, 3pm XM 180

Tomorrow's Dodgers/Braves game (listen up Smues) will air on ESPN at 1pm ET.

Guest Smues
XM Schedule today, All Times Eastern:

Atlanta @ LA Dodgers, 1pm XM 176

Houston @ Cleveland, 1pm XM 177

Florida @ Baltimore, 1pm XM 178

Chicago Cubs @ San Francisco, 3pm XM 179

San Diego @ Seattle, 3pm XM 180

Tomorrow's Dodgers/Braves game (listen up Smues) will air on ESPN at 1pm ET.

Damn it I'll be out of the office tomorrow. I'll have to set Tivo to snag that.

Lincoln Holdzkom walked three batters and threw a wild pitch in 1 1/3 innings. As a Rule V pick, he is already a longshot to make the Phillies' roster.

I could probably name 40 or 50 minor leaguers in the Red Sox system off the top of my head without looking, and I had no idea who Holdzkom was until he was selected by Philly. That should give you an indication of his pedigree.

He walked 44 guys in 46 innings last year between AA and AAA.

Lincoln Holdzkom walked three batters and threw a wild pitch in 1 1/3 innings. As a Rule V pick, he is already a longshot to make the Phillies' roster.

I could probably name 40 or 50 minor leaguers in the Red Sox system off the top of my head without looking, and I had no idea who Holdzkom was until he was selected by Philly. That should give you an indication of his pedigree.

He walked 44 guys in 46 innings last year between AA and AAA.

He wasn't a Sox until last season. He started out with the Marlins, landed with the Cubs in 2006 in the Todd Wellemeyer deal and then the Sox last year.

From time to time Baseball America will flat out bury a player. They rated Holdzkom as the #30 prospect in the Phillies' farm system. Here are a few snippets from their writeup.

Holdzkom didn't last long in Houston's big league camp. He walked three batters in two innings and the final straw came when he wondered out loud if he could collect his major league salary if he quit, prompting his release. His spring experience was Holdzkom in a nutshell--he alwas struggled with his command and created headaches wherever he has gone....Holdzkom still needs to throw a lot more strikes and prove he can maintain his stuff for more than one inning at a time. Taking his considerable talent more seriously would be a first step.

The thing about guys with electric stuff who can't find the strike zone is that they almost never find it. Sometimes a simple adjustment is all you need for better location, but the reality is many of these guys flame out because the mechanics that give them the brilliant fastball keep them from ever harnessing it.

Speaking of not finding the strike zone, Jason Neighborgall retired.

Here are a list of minor league teams and player development contracts for 2008. In most cases, even though the agreement is set to expire the clubs will renew the deal. With Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo all on the bubble, the Mets are almost certain to bring their AAA team close to home next season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/business/?p=68