TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2008

Hogan's new "promotion";

According to PWInsider Elite, it's not gonna be a normal wrestling promotion. It's gonna be Dancing With the Stars meets Tough Enough. Meaning, it's a show where they teach Celebrities of some fame how to wrestle.

Well if Eminem is on the show, that would explain that whole rumor.

It is strange, because whenever people bring up professional sports in general, they are usually wanting to discuss team efforts, i.e. baseball, football, basketball and the like. The "popular" ones. The only legit sport that I really watch is MMA, and not very often.

There was once a time when I was into mainstream sporting. I loved the NBA back in the nineties. Those were great times, and being that I am from Chicago, why wouldn't they be? Nowadays I'm just not as interested in the athletes and personalities as I used to be. Same goes for hockey as well. Never cared much for baseball or football, to be honest, but I kept up because I was around a lot of people who were into it, and it helped pass the time.

Most of my interest in pro sports waned during high school when I got a job, started socializing, discovered girls and booze and began to develop passions in other areas.

But I'll tell you, I was a wrestling fan before all of that went down, and I'm still a wrestling fan today. Weird.

I follow sports religiously, especially college football. If I were to ever meet Jim Ross, I'd probably talk to him about college football just as much as I would wrestling.

http://www.wweresearch.com/se.ashx?s=0B8801406EB8CB16

Survey about No Way Out and PPV ordering habits (including whether or not you ordered Against All Odds). Pretty good survey, though what they do with results is another story.

Most of it is useful for marketing purposes. How often does their PPV viewer watch the shows, do they frequently buy events on dvd afterwards, etc.

Anyone else annoyed by the new theme songs being doled out? The worst part is that it's only so they can sell a new cd. Did we really need Kennedy's song to be butchered like that? Or did Jeff Hardy really need something besides the instrumental song he has used for years and is most identifiable with him?

Come on, Shawns still using "Sexy Boy" and Booker T had the Harlem Heat theme for like 13 years or so. And Flair of course has used has song since the late 70's/early 80s

and how is this Burchill angle supposed to get him over? I did laugh on RAW when some fans yelled "you were a pirate" at Paul.

Somehow I doubt the results to "what match did you enjoy most" will be observed with great attention.

Not in regards to the workers. But there might be some useful information on how perspectives change (or don't change) pre and post-match. Also, how effective were their promotional efforts for individual matches?

Anthropology? Seriously?

Seriously. Now, that's not the most common by far, but every once in a while myself and one of my nerd compadres will actually discuss anthropological topics, like tribal organization, animism, prehistoric hierarchical systems, and such things. Not on a "did you read that article in the Anthropology Journal" but more a "I was watching National Geographic the other day and they did this show about this tribe with [insert interesting and unusual custom or tradition]...wonder how that might work if you plugged that same underlying idea into [fictional, fantastic, futuristic, or postmodern circumstance or environment]?" kind of thing.

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/go_sick_psycho.jsp

This is an old thing John Cena did before joining WWE. A couple of practical jokers pretended to be auditioning for an action movie. They wanted to auditioners to act out a scene with a man named Brubaker (played by Cena) who is incredibly hyped out and acts like he wants to kill everyone in the room while screaming the entire time.

and how is this Burchill angle supposed to get him over? I did laugh on RAW when some fans yelled "you were a pirate" at Paul.

I think the only thing at this point that will get Burchill really hated is if he brutally destroyed someone for hitting on his sister.

Okay, pardon my impertinence, but I'm dying to know: what does a person who doesn't like sports talk about? I mean, I can understand not liking all sports, but I can't imagine not liking any sports. I'd like to know where you are that you can know more than two people that don't like sports at all...

Politics, religion, current events, the weather, etc. etc.

Anthropology? Seriously?

Seriously. Now, that's not the most common by far, but every once in a while myself and one of my nerd compadres will actually discuss anthropological topics, like tribal organization, animism, prehistoric hierarchical systems, and such things. Not on a "did you read that article in the Anthropology Journal" but more a "I was watching National Geographic the other day and they did this show about this tribe with [insert interesting and unusual custom or tradition]...wonder how that might work if you plugged that same underlying idea into [fictional, fantastic, futuristic, or postmodern circumstance or environment]?" kind of thing.

Nerd alert.

So someone posted it in the TNA thread, but I figured I would throw it in here also. The TNA website is reporting that at their successful New York house show tonight Tommy Dreamer was spotted in the audience. Not that he has a high spot on the card or that it should matter what he does on his night off, but does anyone see punishment in this? I recall hearing guys backstage visiting friends in the Monday Night Wars era, but I don't ever recall having someone in the audience.

Well, there's nothing stopping him from buying a ticket. I remember when Sable showed up in the front row on Nitro in June or July 1999. It was a few weeks after she quit the WWF and filed that sexual harassmant lawsuit against them. The WWF couldn't do anything since it was proven that she bought a ticket and that WCW didn't put her there. During the break, Eric Bischoff (who was doing commentary at the time for some reason) went over and said hello to her. WCW just chose to stick the camera on her when they came back from commercial to create a convenient buzz.

And since this event won't come anywhere close to television and this is Tommy Dreamer we're talking about, I doubt WWE will bat an eyelash.

WWE.Com is reporting that Ranjin Singh, Great Khali's translator, (who is actually writing team member, Dave Kapoor) will undergo surgery Monday to repaired a fractured patella that he sustained at No Way Out. The injury happened during the Elimination Chamber match when the Undertaker kicked him from the chamber entrance to the floor. The only quote from Singh in the article that is farthest away from kayfabe is how the injury happened.

I have a gash on my eyelid and the impression of a steel cage on my face from when Undertaker kicked me. I went flying through the air, and my right knee landed directly on the concrete; it shattered in three places.

And since this event won't come anywhere close to television and this is Tommy Dreamer we're talking about, I doubt WWE will bat an eyelash.

I don't know. Didn't Dreamer get in trouble for letting CM Punk work an RoH show whilst Punk was in OVW?

I don't know. Didn't Dreamer get in trouble for letting CM Punk work an RoH show whilst Punk was in OVW?

I think that's a bit of a different story, CM Punk worked a ROH match while under contract, Dreamer just bought a ticket to a show that won't be shown on tv and he most likely didn't pop up on a TNA camera.

have any of you guys thought about doin a spot online about like.....

two of the most favored (loved or hated) posters on this thread... do have like a debate... about the current state of the WWE?

ps. im drunk and i apologize.

but i think it'd be interesting to have a debate between two well respected posters with a mod.

We do have Smartmark radio to do it. I would love to debate pro wrestling with someone on this board. I think it would be a lot of fun.

I think that's a bit of a different story, CM Punk worked a ROH match while under contract, Dreamer just bought a ticket to a show that won't be shown on tv and he most likely didn't pop up on a TNA camera.

Actually, he didn't buy a ticket, he and Little Guido were there as guests and they came in with Christian. I posted in the TNA folder what happened last night, since I was there, and how Bubba mentioned them. Also, TNA and Spike had cameras there filming for IMPACT! and TNA TODAY.

two of the most favored (loved or hated) posters on this thread... do have like a debate... about the current state of the WWE?

but i think it'd be interesting to have a debate between two well respected posters with a mod.

It would never work. You'd have to find two good posters who care about WWE.

We do have Smartmark radio to do it. I would love to debate pro wrestling with someone on this board. I think it would be a lot of fun.

I'd be down, if I have time.

It would never work. You'd have to find two good posters who care about WWE.

It would work if it was held in the Chocolate Socket and the two posters were hand selected.