TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2008

I checked a couple boxing websites and they seem to be treating the news as a joke and an act that tarnishes both Mayweather and his legacy. If Mayweather isn't able to draw in boxing fans, who will he bring in?

WWE also confirmed that SD! is moving to MyNetworkTV - whatever that is.

Goddam it. I just started getting the CW through DirecTV. MyNetworkTV isn't available over the air or through them.

Boxing Websites and Magazines are always talking about a boxer "ruining his legacy or Disgracsing the sport" but they're 1st ones in the face of the "disgrace or guy who's legacy is ruined" if it draws. Boxing reporters are really among the worse reporters in the world.

I understand that $20 million is ridiculously high and I am not arguing that fact. However, you guys are thinking only in terms of buys to produce money for WWE. They make a killing off the gate, merchandise, DVD sales, etc. It can also lead to more PPV buys in the future, and potential ratings boosts. I am not saying that will happen, but you better believe they will be able to recoup that money they would pay for Mayweather. They won't make nearly as much as they normally would, but perhaps they think it's not going to hurt to try.

That said, I don't believe he is getting $20 million flat. I am sure he is getting a certain guarantee, then a portion of the gate (tiered like other workers), royalties from use of his likeness on merchandise, and royalties from DVD sales.

I checked a couple boxing websites and they seem to be treating the news as a joke and an act that tarnishes both Mayweather and his legacy. If Mayweather isn't able to draw in boxing fans, who will he bring in?

The same reporters and fans who called out Roy Jones Jr for taking the Felix Trinidad fight, but yet 500,000 people watched it...

Just to add another sports name that's bigger than Floyd Mayweather into the mix, and arguably the biggest name in sports today...Tiger Woods...

But Floyd is biggest name that they could get that would actually make sense.

Hearing that The Rock will be making an appearance at the Hall of Fame to induct his grandfather and father was probably the best news I've heard in the wrestling world in quite sometime. When he made an appearance on the titantron to predict the Battle or the Billionares outcome, I marked out like crazy...and it's happening again...I love it.

I'm really enjoying the build up to the triple threat match. A lot of people think of Orton as being the third wheel, but it's kind of hard for him to be overshadowed when he's the champion. They have one of each of the three main wrestling acrhitypes in the match...Orton as the heel, HHH as the tweener, and Cena as the babyface...it's a great set up.

Let's go Cena!

I don't understand how the Mayweather thing is supposed to generate casual interest. He's not a house-hold name like Tyson is. When I was watching the PPV, I was at a sports bar and couldn't hear the commentary very well, and all I could keep thinking was "Who the hell is this guy?" And even if WWE is not trying to recreate Tyson/Austin, that's the impression that will be given. WWE needs to realize that not all public figures are created equally.

Um, most who keep using Vick, Tyson, and Kobe's name as main stream understand that most of that comes from 2/3 of them being CONVICTED FELONS and Kobe had a rape case that was thrown out, but everyone thought he was guilty. Mayweather is the ONLY person the WWE could get right now. No current MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, or hell PGA player is going to be allowed to wrestle. And the few that are will not. Plus, Mayweather is one of the highest grossing stars of 2007 so it isn't like this is some nobody. Also, Mayweather getting only 20 million is a PAY CUT for him.

Bringing in Mayweather has less to do with a casual audience and more to do with the 2.4 million people he drew for a PPV fight with De La Hoya. This guy has been on cards that have doubled the number of buys of WWE's best drawing shows. It's debatable how much of that audience can cross over, but Mayweather is the biggest legit draw that they could get.

Can you imagine Tiger Woods cutting a wrestling promo? I haven't paid money to watch wrestling in about five years, but brotha...I would pay to see that.

I still argue if you offer Austin 10 million he fights Hogan. What would be a bigger draw, Mayweather-Show or Austin-Hogan? I argue Austin-Hogan by far. If this years mania buyrate comes in and is relatively close to past years they've just wasted money.

I still argue if you offer Austin 10 million he fights Hogan. What would be a bigger draw, Mayweather-Show or Austin-Hogan? I argue Austin-Hogan by far. If this years mania buyrate comes in and is relatively close to past years they've just wasted money.

Every wrestling fan orders Mania anyways. How many more people would be interested in seeing a match that hasn't meant anything in 5-10 years? I'm not saying Mayweather will draw more, but at least he appeals to a new demographic that might actually pump money into the product.

Hogan-Austin would still draw a good buyrate, probably not as much as it could have a couple years ago but to argue against it is a bit silly. It'd draw in those who have moved away from pro wrestling but still remember those two names and also wondered how that match would've been.

If you give Austin 10 million, then you would have to give Hogan double... Which would piss Austin off, and making him no show.

Hogan-Austin would still draw a good buyrate, probably not as much as it could have a couple years ago but to argue against it is a bit silly. It'd draw in those who have moved away from pro wrestling but still remember those two names and also wondered how that match would've been.

I wouldn't watch Austin-Hogan if it happened tonight on free television. Maybe I don't speak for the majority of former fans though.

Yeah, Austin-Hogan would have zero appeal to anyone who wouldn't already be inclined to order Wrestlemania. I don't know that Mayweather's involvement is going to push this show over the top, but it does create discussion of wrestling in circles where it's typically ignored. A dream match (of sorts) involving two guys known primarily for wrestling would not do that.

Austin vs. Hogan would be the ultimate nostalgia match; the 80s vs. the 90s. It meant something ten years ago, five years ago, and still means something today, and to suggest otherwise is absurd. It would also most definitely appeal to people who might not order Wrestlemania anyway, because if someone is only interested in watching Austin or Hogan wrestle, and they find out that the biggest wrestler of their era is facing the biggest wrestler of the previous/next era, they'd buy the PPV in a heartbeat.

Austin vs. Hogan would be the ultimate nostalgia match; the 80s vs. the 90s. It meant something ten years ago, five years ago, and still means something today, and to suggest otherwise is absurd. It would also most definitely appeal to people who might not order Wrestlemania anyway, because if someone is only interested in watching Austin or Hogan wrestle, and they find out that the biggest wrestler of their era is facing the biggest wrestler of the previous/next era, they'd buy the PPV in a heartbeat.

I'd definitely buy it, although I'd be watching to see who shoots on the other guy first.

I'd have more interest in Mayweather/Big Show for the simple reason that since he's said to be getting paid $20M I'm expecting him to be a helluva lot closer to WM Lawrence Taylor than WM Mike Tyson. I still don't like how the angle is being booked though - it was mucked up from the get-go. I also don't know what the outcome of any match will be, as I can't see PBF laying down, and Big Show doing the job would be ridiculous as well. It's almost as if there needs to be a couple tag team partners added.

I'd definitely buy it, although I'd be watching to see who shoots on the other guy first.

The hell? Two guys known to be pretty professional in the ring with no history of anything like that ever happening are going to shoot on each other in a huge match on a huge show they'd be getting paid a ton to work? That's not even considering the fact they're both near-cripples.

I'd have more interest in Mayweather/Big Show for the simple reason that since he's said to be getting paid $20M I'm expecting him to be a helluva lot closer to WM Lawrence Taylor than WM Mike Tyson. I still don't like how the angle is being booked though - it was mucked up from the get-go. I also don't know what the outcome of any match will be, as I can't see PBF laying down, and Big Show doing the job would be ridiculous as well. It's almost as if there needs to be a couple tag team partners added.

If it ends up as an actual singles match, it either ends in a non-finish or, far more likely, Show losing. It's not even a question, really.

You're probably right. Show knows the business and even losing in such a high profile angle is great for his career. I wonder what the pinning sequence will be. Probably a high cross body off the top rope with Rey Mysterio getting involved as well.

You're probably right. Show knows the business and even losing in such a high profile angle is great for his career. I wonder what the pinning sequence will be. Probably a high cross body off the top rope with Rey Mysterio getting involved as well.

PBF is a boxer, so he's probably going to KO Show with a right hand to get that photo op of the small boxer KO'ing the big giant. It's the money shot.

I could see them having TBS put Mayweather up for the chokeslam and while he taunts, Mayweather lays a quick punch combo to TBS and collapses on the falling TBS.

Bruce Mitchell chimes in on Mayweather's payoff (after Bubba the Love Sponge claimed Mayweather's payoff was only a fraction of what's been reported):

Hey, Jim Rome, AP, and the rest of you lazy, stupid marks who fell for that twenty million dollar salary line WWE and Floyd Mayweather fed you -you got played like a tourist at three card monte. The cheesy wrestling promoter got you to give him millions of dollars worth of free publicity by blatantly lying to you and betting you were too lazy to do your homework or too stupid to remember wrestlers and boxers are con men, I mean, multi-level marketers.

Even you, Michael Wilbon. You guessed in the opposite direction, figuring Mayweather might get a few hundred thousand because "WWE isn't American Idol." Great.

Five minutes on Google would have told you this:

Last year's Wrestlemania, co-starring Donald Trump, did big business for WWE, business this Mayweather thing will be lucky to match. That show did about 1,200,000 buys.

for the sake of argument - and to do this in less than five minutes - let's say Wrestlemania this year does the same business. Now round off the pay-per-view price to the show to fifty bucks a head.

Let's see: A million two times fifty equals sixty million dollars. Half of that goes right off the top to the cable companies. That leaves thirty million dollars. Add five million for the live gate.

Now you've got thirty-five million dollars BEFORE expenses. This ain't the NBA. It's wrestlers and boxers - two groups who are notorious for making the worst financial deals in sports and entertainment. You really think Vince McMahon is giving anyone twenty million dollars and ensuring his biggest show of the year will be a money-loser?

Suckers.

Two questions, though. Do you guys just do shoddy work on the stories you think readers care about, but you don't? Or does this laziness touch every story you report and comment on?