TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2008

Hogan's new "promotion";

According to PWInsider Elite, it's not gonna be a normal wrestling promotion. It's gonna be Dancing With the Stars meets Tough Enough. Meaning, it's a show where they teach Celebrities of some fame how to wrestle.

Well if Eminem is on the show, that would explain that whole rumor.

This is presumably going to be a TV show? I can't imagine any major network really being that interested in this idea.

And since this event won't come anywhere close to television and this is Tommy Dreamer we're talking about, I doubt WWE will bat an eyelash.

I don't know. Didn't Dreamer get in trouble for letting CM Punk work an RoH show whilst Punk was in OVW?

I thought that WWE gave Punk their blessing, so long that ROH didn't promote him ahead of time or advertise him on the DVD.

I'll do it. What topic do you want to discuss in particular?

How about this following news bit:

Hulk Hogan — WWE Hall of Famer, reality-show star and now host of the new "American Gladiators" — came by MTV News' New York offices last week, and boy did we start cooking up some fun scenarios of who the Hulkster would like to see battle in a hypothetical "AG" celebrity episode. 50 Cent vs. Kanye West or Game came up, and Beyoncé vs. Mariah Carey (in high heels) was another dream match.

In the wrestling world, though, Hogan still has the passion for the ring. He says he called out "Stone Cold" Steve Austin a long time ago for a match, but the Texas Rattlesnake never hollered back. ("That's on him. Apparently he don't want none. I'm easy to find, my brother," Hulk said.) So now Hogan has another challenger in mind, somebody he's made bleed in the circle before: "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. As it happens, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon recently sent down the mandate that the next match Flair loses will be his last — he will be forced to retire. Hulk says he's the man to derail Space Mountain and wants to do it at WrestleMania 23 in Orlando, Florida.

"They need a main event real bad," Hogan said. "When I think about Ric Flair styling and profiling, when I think about Hulk Hogan going [head to head] with Ric Flair in my backyard, Florida ... I think that's where it's at. They got a lot of tickets, brother, that need to be sold. The power of the 'Mania, brother? Could be strong. Either he'll put me out for good, or I'll put him out for good. One or the other. That would be the match of the new millennium. Hogan vs. Flair. Maybe get Vince McMahon as a special guest referee. Me and Flair both hate Vince."

Hogan's new "promotion";

According to PWInsider Elite, it's not gonna be a normal wrestling promotion. It's gonna be Dancing With the Stars meets Tough Enough. Meaning, it's a show where they teach Celebrities of some fame how to wrestle.

Well if Eminem is on the show, that would explain that whole rumor.

This is presumably going to be a TV show? I can't imagine any major network really being that interested in this idea.

Major nets, no. If it goes anywhere, it would be on one of those cable channels that puts on such low-concept reality shows. Bischoff has the connections in that show genre to put together such a deal.

In this day and age, which cable network doesn't want low-concept reality shows? Hogan would have no problem finding a network for his "promotion". But really this is just his yearly pre-WrestleMania ploy for attention/a WrestleMania appearence.

I'll do it. What topic do you want to discuss in particular?

How about this following news bit:

Hulk Hogan — WWE Hall of Famer, reality-show star and now host of the new "American Gladiators" — came by MTV News' New York offices last week, and boy did we start cooking up some fun scenarios of who the Hulkster would like to see battle in a hypothetical "AG" celebrity episode. 50 Cent vs. Kanye West or Game came up, and Beyoncé vs. Mariah Carey (in high heels) was another dream match.

In the wrestling world, though, Hogan still has the passion for the ring. He says he called out "Stone Cold" Steve Austin a long time ago for a match, but the Texas Rattlesnake never hollered back. ("That's on him. Apparently he don't want none. I'm easy to find, my brother," Hulk said.) So now Hogan has another challenger in mind, somebody he's made bleed in the circle before: "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. As it happens, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon recently sent down the mandate that the next match Flair loses will be his last — he will be forced to retire. Hulk says he's the man to derail Space Mountain and wants to do it at WrestleMania 23 in Orlando, Florida.

"They need a main event real bad," Hogan said. "When I think about Ric Flair styling and profiling, when I think about Hulk Hogan going [head to head] with Ric Flair in my backyard, Florida ... I think that's where it's at. They got a lot of tickets, brother, that need to be sold. The power of the 'Mania, brother? Could be strong. Either he'll put me out for good, or I'll put him out for good. One or the other. That would be the match of the new millennium. Hogan vs. Flair. Maybe get Vince McMahon as a special guest referee. Me and Flair both hate Vince."

This deserves its own thread.

Well, there's nothing stopping him from buying a ticket. I remember when Sable showed up in the front row on Nitro in June or July 1999. It was a few weeks after she quit the WWF and filed that sexual harassmant lawsuit against them. The WWF couldn't do anything since it was proven that she bought a ticket and that WCW didn't put her there. During the break, Eric Bischoff (who was doing commentary at the time for some reason) went over and said hello to her. WCW just chose to stick the camera on her when they came back from commercial to create a convenient buzz.

You don't really think that was just one happy coincidence, do you?

GUEST EDITORIAL

By Neil Ragone of Titusville Fla., PWTorch.com reader

I agree with Steve Austin that Ric Flair should win one of the two heavyweight titles and then lose it at Wrestlemania. The one he should win is the World Title currently held by Edge.

Here is my reasoning for this. The title that is currently the World Title was originally the NWA World Title. Ric Flair held it then. Some time after WCW split from the NWA, the NWA World Title became the WCW World Title. Ric Flair held it then too. Ric Flair needs and should hold the now WWE World Title to complete the trifecta and become the only person to hold this belt in all three of its incarnations. With Rey Mysterio injured, this would be the perfect opportunity to do this.

It could play out like this. No Way Out starts and after the first match, they go to the back where Rey Mysterio is shown beaten to a pulp favoring his injured pec. The announcers wonder what will become of the World Title Match. Ric Flair still has his match with Mr. Kennedy and wins, but comes out injured himself (Mr. Kennedy continued to work on Ric's knee). After another match they go to the back where we see Mr. McMahon talking to Ric Flair, who is icing his knee, and telling him that he was damn lucky to win his match against Mr. Kennedy and that Mr. McMahon feels that it won't be much longer before the nature boy looses and is retired. At this point Vickie Guerrero is pushed up to Mr. McMahon by Teddy Long. Vickie proceeds to tell Vince her idea for a World Title Match since Rey Mysterio is unable to compete. She suggest one of the former Major brothers which Mr. McMahon is about to agree on, but then he says that he has a better idea. It will be Edge vs. Ric Flair, Title vs. Retirement, no DQ.

During the match, the former Major brothers try to interfere, but are stopped by Batista and the Undertaker, who take them to the back. Vickie tries to interfere, but is stopped by Teddy Long, who then wheels her to the back. Edge tries to leave and get counted out, but Triple H appears on the entrance ramp and grabs Edge and throws him back in the ring, where the Nature Boy continues to work on Edges knee and applies the Figure four in the middle of the ring. Edge tries to get to the ropes, but just as he gets with in an inch and attempts to grab the ropes, C.M. Punk shows up and grabs the rope and pulls it just out of reach and Edge taps out.

Can any one think of a better way to properly send Ric Flair off, than with one last title run? At WrestleMania, Ric Flair could defend the title against Batista or maybe even Matt Hardy and lose in a hard fought battle. Matt Hardy would probably be the better of the two simply because no one would expect him to win. After this match, Matt Hardy would embrace Ric Flair, and put the World Title at his feet in a show of respect and wrestlers would pour out of the back to both congratulate Matt Hardy and pay homage to Ric Flair.

From a guest editorial on PWTorch. To me this is really awful. Too much overbooking and interference to end Flair's career.

I'm not sure what's worse; that he wants Flair's last World title win to get no build on PPV, that Flair doesn't even get to run off the Major Brothers on his own, or that Flair only wins because of the help of five other people.

You forgot putting Matt Hardy in a WM main event for no good reason.

How about the fact that people would probably riot if Matt Hardy beat Ric Flair at Wrestlemania for the World title? Or that Matt's title win would get overshadowed by Flair's retirement? Or that Flair's big retirement scene has to share the spotlight with Matt Hardy's title win?

The WWE Films division has made a grand total of $300,000 in profit with their three movie releases; See No Evil, The Marine and The Condemned. Between See No Evil and The Marine, the company made $16 million in profit. However, Steve Austin's movie The Condemned was a huge money loser as it almost put WWE Films' profitability in the red. WWE is estimating losses at $15.7 million for the release of The Condemned.

wrestling observer newsletter

That's a pretty bad example of fantasy booking. The best idea for Flair was the "Rocky Balboa" angle.

Flair vs Edge for Edge's title. Edge and Flair have pretty good chemistry and it could be a good enough match. After a few near falls and a figure four thrown in, Edge gets the win. Flair takes off his boots and leaves them in the center of the ring and walks back crying and waves one last time to the fans. After he is gone, Edge who was "recovering" from his match outside the ring, roles in the ring and seeing Flairs boots kicks them out of the ring and grabs the title to celebrate. Cue Jeff Hardy's music - Jeff is cashing in his MITB win from earlier in the night. Jeff goes over and the fans go apeshit. First Matt comes out to celebrate Jeff's win, much like Eddy and Benoit. However then the whole lockerroom empties, to "celebrate Jeff's win", however instead Ric Flair is hoisted up on a couple of guys shoulders. Fade to black.

Not to pick on you, but hasn't this exact scenario been mentioned on the board about a dozen times?

That's a pretty bad example of fantasy booking. The best idea for Flair was the "Rocky Balboa" angle.

Flair vs Edge for Edge's title. Edge and Flair have pretty good chemistry and it could be a good enough match. After a few near falls and a figure four thrown in, Edge gets the win. Flair takes off his boots and leaves them in the center of the ring and walks back crying and waves one last time to the fans. After he is gone, Edge who was "recovering" from his match outside the ring, roles in the ring and seeing Flairs boots kicks them out of the ring and grabs the title to celebrate. Cue Jeff Hardy's music - Jeff is cashing in his MITB win from earlier in the night. Jeff goes over and the fans go apeshit. First Matt comes out to celebrate Jeff's win, much like Eddy and Benoit. However then the whole lockerroom empties, to "celebrate Jeff's win", however instead Ric Flair is hoisted up on a couple of guys shoulders. Fade to black.

Which would make Jeff Hardy's big title win totally secondary and an afterthought. Not a good idea at all.

I don't think I would involve Flair's retirement in any title situation. The changing hands of the title will be overshadowed no matter what scenario, and that isn't good for any parties involved.